He currently serves as the chairman of the City Councils Black Caucus, and serves on a variety of committees, including education and child development, as well as the rules and ethics committee. Just a lot of reporters so far. Stacy! Over the past decade, she has been one of the key figures in the unions social justice fight the broader progressive movement. And things arent going well in the city, Cuadra said. A recent Northwestern University poll of likely voters had the two candidates in a neck-and-neck race. Were gonna get the worst of things anyways.. Jason Lee, a senior adviser to the Johnson campaign, stopped short of claiming victory, but was feeling good about Johnsons chances. She is the only woman challenging Lightfoot for the mayors seat in 2023 and is known for working to rename Lake Shore Drive to honor Jean Baptiste Point DuSable, the Black founder of Chicago as well as pushing for a minimum wage increase to $15. Democrats can use this election as a cautionary case study: Middle-class, older Black voters, whom Democrats absolutely must have to keep the White House and control Congress, are not, writ large, that progressive, especially compared with Chicagos white voters in the north lakefront wards. With a race for mayor on the ballot, the voter turnout was higher in Chicago than in the suburbs where the biggest races were mostly school board elections and the highest voter turnout was in . Though Scott has not yet been declared the winner, she fielded hugs and congratulations at the event. The rest of them didnt even come by, Archie said. The list of contenders looking to unseat Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot continued to grow on Tuesday, as community activist JaMal Green entered the field. Ald. Highlighting the list is Mayor Lori Lightfoot, who will seek a second term in office. All rights reserved, Aerosmith Announces 2023 Farwell Tour; Teases to Chicago Date at United Center, Registration For 2023 Chicago Park District Summer Camps Begins Monday. NBC 5 political reporter Mary Ann Ahern reports. Ariel Reboyras retirement left the 30th Ward field wide open and Gardiners scandal-plagued first term hung over his re-election bid. Mayor Lori Lightfoot shocked Chicagos political establishment in 2019 when she defeated Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle in a landslide. This campaign that I ran to bring this city together would not be a campaign that fulfilled my ambitions if this campaign is gonna divide us more. Roderick Sawyer. While the voters were slowly making their way to the ballot box at Welles Park, the handful of polling judges swapped tales of their history working the polls. Apr 05, 2023 at 9:45 pm. Signs, pins, flyers and t-shirts displayed Ciaravinos campaign slogan: Your safety is my concern.. Sheri Dysoin, a lifelong Englewood resident, said people have become disillusioned by politics because of the citys history of disinvestment in neighborhoods like hers. He calls for supporters to "take this bold, progressive movement around the United States of America. On this very day 55 years ago, Dr. King stood on a balcony. However, overall turnout is on track to be at about 36-38% citywide, Bever said. Dantzler is not going to concede anything, spokesman Sean Howard said Tuesday night. You can read more about Johnson on his Twitter account. Vallas took an early lead, only to have Johnson overtake him. Housing organizer Angela Clay appears poised to be the first Black person to represent the North Sides 46th Ward, as she secured 55.8% of the votes compared to 44.2% for Walgreens executive Kim Walz, who conceded the race to Clay. Most of the United Working Families [and CTU] field army have both. In City Council, at least one of the 14 wards in the runoff Tuesday was still too close to call by the nights end, with yet-to-be-counted mail-in votes set to determine the results. Its a couple of percentage points higher than it was. Kendra Holyfield and her daughter Kendra pose in front of 16th Ward polling place, Perkins Bass Elementary School in Englewood. Susan Sadlowski Garza isnt seeking reelection after two terms but she is throwing her support behind Guajuardo. Below, check out a look at how the city voted for Johnson (purple) and Vallas (orange) based on ward precincts. Lee hangs onto 11th Ward seat, as challenger Ciaravino concedes. Mayor Lori Lightfoot spent millions on negative advertising in Round One to eliminate U.S. Rep. Jesus Chuy Garcia, D-Ill. I got it. Garca lost a head-to-head runoff against Emanuel in the 2015 mayoral race, and was elected to Congress for the first time in 2019. John Moore took a wonderful photo of his first morels, then played coy on where. Those numbers could change as mail-in ballots continue to trickle in, but they appear unlikely to challenge Lees commanding lead. Alderpersons Emma Mitts, Walter Burnett Jr., Michelle Harris, Derrick Curtis, Roderick Sawyer, Anthony Beale and David Moore used their political capital to vouch for Vallas. Sawyer comes from a family of political leaders, with his father Eugene serving as Chicagos mayor after the death of Harold Washington. Chico led with 62% of the vote over Guajardo, with 88% of precincts reporting in the ward where Sadlowski Garza announced her retirement after two terms. Greg Abbott blasting his plans to send more migrants to Chicago and other cities. Monique Scott has been representing the 24th Ward since Lightfoot appointed her to the post in June to replace her brother, who took a job with Cinespace Chicago Film Studios. It could be the case that some of the voters on the South Side who felt like they couldnt vote for us didnt vote at all, Lee told the Sun-Times. We outperformed on the lakefront. Roderick Sawyer. We are experiencing the very dream of the greatest man who ever walked the earth. Read more here. The work has been done. And Ill be the mayor for you, too. Embattled Ald. Sophia King hopes to defuse tension in city, JaMal Green says city needs a leader who can offer residents hope. Several candidates will take another crack at winning the mayoral job, including former Chicago Public Schools CEO Paul Vallas, Rep. Jess "Chuy" Garca and Dr. Willie Wilson. Johnson lives in Chicagos Austin neighborhood, and previously worked as a teacher in the Chicago Public Schools system before being elected to the Cook County Board. Vallas is the former CEO of Chicago Public Schools, and has also run in several statewide races, losing the Democratic gubernatorial primary in 2002 and losing the 2014 governors race as Pat Quinns running mate. The wards with the highest amounts are the 19th, 47th, 41st, 45th and 43rd, Bever said. With all precincts reporting, Lee had nearly 62% of the vote compared to Ciaravino with about 38%, records show. Autoplay. We outperformed on the South Side in terms of the margin. After an exhausting, five-week battle for the heart and soul of Chicago, Johnson narrowly defeated former Chicago Public Schools CEO Paul Vallas. She said he helped her fill out her ballot with things hed learned at school. Elections will be held for Mayor of Chicago, City Clerk of Chicago, City Treasurer of Chicago, all 50 members of the Chicago City Council, and 66 members of the newly-created police District Councils. So I think theyre seeing that reflected in him and really want to support that.. Im very certain that, based on the turnout, Paul [Vallas] will have the most votes tonight. | Ashlee Rezin/Sun-Times Supporters cheer at mayoral candidate Brandon Johnsons election night party at the Marriott Marquis Chicago as Johnson takes the lead in the polls against opponent Paul Vallas, Tuesday, April 4, 2023. Ciaravino gives an emotional concession speech. She could take that title from Ald. Chicago chose progress over moderation on the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.s death. In the 21st Ward, community organizer Ronnie Mosley declared victory despite a narrow lead over retired firefighter Cornell Dantzler, who refused to concede in the runoff to replace outgoing Ald. Nine candidates will face off: Mayor Lori Lightfoot; millionaire businessman Willie Wilson; two retiring alderpersons, Sophia King (4th) and Roderick Sawyer (6th); Illinois state Rep. Kam Buckner; Cook County Commissioner Brandon Johnson; former Chicago Public Schools CEO Paul Vallas; U.S. Rep. Jesus "Chuy" Garcia; and community activist Ja'Mal People can say a lot, but what they are actually able to accomplish is the difference.. Early turnout indicators appeared to favor Paul Vallas. Johnson and his opponent Paul Vallas had presented mayoral visions that couldnt differ more. And for the young people who are coming up in this movement, I hope that they have a similar sense of possibility.. You can read more about Sawyer on his aldermanic page. Johnson, a former public school teacher and Chicago Teachers Union organizer, is Chicagos 57th mayor. Cynthia Manuel, a 24th Ward resident who came out to support Scott said she has been friends with the alderwoman for over 20 years and that she admires her passion for everyone and her efforts to clean up the neighborhood. Will Burns. He has also served in the Illinois Senate and on the Cook County Board of Commissioners, and gained local fame for supporting Bernie Sanders in the 2016 and 2020 elections. Three wards on the Far South Side will be sending new faces to the City Council. Ald. Read more here. Roderick Sawyer announcing he will run for Chicago mayor next year, the question is, how does he do it? I-55 Shut Down in Both Directions Due to Large Crash' Amid Dust Storm in South-Central Illinois, Blowing Dust Warning' Issued in Illinois After Dust Storm Causes Large I-55 Crash, Portillo's Adds New Menu Item to Restaurants Nationwide and It's Now Available, How Much Could You Get in New $725M Facebook Settlement? Wilson is running on a platform to Recover, Restore and Rebuild the city, and has pointed to his efforts to donate free fuel and masks to underserved communities as examples of how hed begin to tackle issues in the city. King said she would Chicago Police Supt. We outperformed on the South Side in terms of the margin. A community activist, Green has gained public attention for his work supporting the Black Lives Matter movement, and he also has founded several community organizations, including the Small Business Repair Program and My turn to Own. George Wilkinson, who also went to cast his vote at Simeon Career Academy Tuesday afternoon, agreed. McMillan, 48, has three children at nearby Waters Elementary School. Its a really important thing to do. I encourage people to do their own research and look at what the candidates have done, not so much what they say, she said. The election was officially nonpartisan, with its winner being elected to a four-year term beginning on May 15. Jim Gardiner. Senator Dick Durbin in 2020. At Perkins Bass Elementary School in Englewood, a 16th Ward polling place, a slow stream of voters had trickled in throughout the day. You can visit the mayors campaign website here. Read more here. NBC 5 Political Reporter Mary Ann Ahern sits down with Paul Vallas, former Chicago Public Schools CEO, who announced Wednesday that he will run for mayor of Chicago in 2023. This is a super important election. Patrick Daley Thompson stepped down due to corruption charges. Former CTU President Jesse Sharkey, who has gone back to teaching 9th grade civics at South Shore high school, said the success of a CTU-backed candidate is profoundly gratifying more than a decade after social justice-oriented leaders took over the union. King has represented Chicagos fourth ward since April 2016, having lived in the area for 30 years. The glow of two giant projectors with Paul Vallas logo filled a ballroom of the Hyatt Hotel downtown as reporters and supporters including Alds. There was no honeymoon period for me, Lightfoot said last year. He has also served in the Illinois Senate and on the Cook County Board of Commissioners, and gained local fame for supporting Bernie Sanders in the 2016 and 2020 elections. King has represented Chicagos fourth ward since April 2016, having lived in the area for 30 years. The 42-year-old said she missed the February vote after she slept in too late and then got stuck at work, though she said she wouldve voted for Willie Wilson. Since I was appointed back in September, weve gotten right to work on crime, Knudsen, the City Councils youngest member and the first openly gay person to represent his ward, said in March during a debate. We need a change, Smith said of both the mayoral and aldermanic offices. Get everything you need before Election Day with our Voters Guide. His platform includes what he calls a 4-Star Plan, focusing on safety and justice, education, economic opportunity, and stabilizing the citys finances. Tuesdays election is the culmination of a yearlong mayoral election season where attacks have grown increasingly hostile as the two candidates have tried to paint each other as too radical to lead the nations third-largest city. John Roberson had been a City Hall rising star until 2005. He also is the youngest candidate at age 27. And thats meant something. He worries that way of handling hardship would extend to the mayors office if Vallas was elected. The first round of the election is slated for Feb. 28. I think hes got the right messaging for public safety and crime, which I think is the big issue for the city, Turco said. With Lees victory and Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth apparently on track to win in the 48th Ward on the North Side, the number of Asian American City Council members could grow to two. Less concerned about the outcome of the mayor race, Carrasquillo wants to see the quality of life improvements in the ward. With a burst of good will generated by his $1.2 million gas giveaways, millionaire businessman Willie Wilson on Monday joined the race to send Mayor Lori Lightfoot into political retirement after a single term. NBC 5 Political Reporter Mary Ann Ahern sits down with Paul Vallas, former Chicago Public Schools CEO, who announced Wednesday that he will run for mayor of Chicago in 2023. Mayor Lightfoot, everyone thought she was gonna come in and do something, but she didnt.. Only a few months ago, Johnson was a relative unknown even among some voters in the West Side district he represents on the Cook County Board. I want to feel safe, I want my kids to feel safe. And that is some takeaway knowing that in two city elections now, the youngest people in Chicago just dont want to vote. Other people in this race made me a better candidate, and I hope that Alderman Gardiner appreciates that thousands of people expressed a desire for transparency, integrity, and a voice. Note: rather than listing the candidates in alphabetical order, we have listed them in the order in which they would currently appear on the Feb. 28 ballot. Former Congressman Bobby Rush and former Illinois State Senate President Emil Jones put their names on the Vallas list. Lora Chamberlain came out Tuesday morning with her beagle, Donna, to vote at Stephen Hayt Elementary School in the 48th Ward. Betty Archie, a 40-year Chatham resident, went to cast her vote for mayor and alderperson Tuesday afternoon at Simeon Career Academy in the 6th Ward, which also served as a polling place for some 21st Ward residents. Mayoral candidate Paul Vallas delivers his concession speaks during his mayoral runoff election party at the Hyatt Regencys Recency Ballroom, Tuesday, April 4, 2023. Chicago Mayor Runoff Election Results: Brandon Johnson wins. Weve got to squeeze out as many votes as we can from areas that we need to and, hopefully, thatll be enough to get this done.. James Gardiner in the 45th Ward on the Northwest Side; Ald. Ciaravino hugged and shook hands with attendees, making the rounds to tables throughout the event space. To repopulate South and West Side communities, Green suggests the city issue $1 billion in annual revenue bonds to create up to 10,000 new homeowners through assistance with down payments and closing costs. Lenny Zieben came out to vote with his family at Jonathan Scammen Public School Tuesday afternoon. But, smaller turnout in way more wards where you have support can make up for that. Excitement is building at Brandon Johnsons election night watch party Tuesday evening as the Chicago mayoral candidate holds a narrow lead over Paul Vallas with 95% of precincts reporting. Despite holding the upper hand in the 30th Ward, Cruz said she was not calling it yet.. I voted! the woman shot back. That tight race unfolded alongside another in the 48th Ward, where organizer Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth led in her bid to become the citys first Filipina alderperson but by less than 100 votes over affordable housing developer Joe Dunne. Theyre kind of like, Hey girl. Read the full report from Fran Spielman, Tina Sfondeles and Nader Issa. With all precincts reporting, Villegas had about 58% of the vote compared to about 42% for Leonor Torres Whitt. David Brown, give burned-out, overscheduled and underappreciated officers more time off and create incentives needed to fill more than 1,400 sworn police vacancies. And I think were going to have to organize people and try to build support for a program thats going to change things. Anthony Vazquez/Sun-Times; Tyler Pasciak LaRiviere/Sun-Times. Young people often use social media TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube to develop their identities as activists and to push for a more just society that reflects their values. Max Bever of the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners says the heaviest turnout, once again, has been on the Northwest and Southwest sides and parts of the lakefront. But, I feel good about where we are. He was elected to the City Council in 2011 and represents the 6th Ward on the citys Far South Side. Will they come out again? Vallas has cited his experiences in running large school districts as hes hit the campaign trail, and has pledged to make massive changes to the citys finances, address issues of public safety and to integrate parents more effectively into the educational system. I value you, and I want to hear from you. Just like last time, the Sun-Times and WBEZ will have journalists at polls and campaign parties throughout the city to provide you latest vital reporting on the election. By 3 p.m., the share of voters under 45 was 34.1%, short of what Johnson needed it to be. But you all know its very clear that one bullet cant kill a dream. They were more than 500 votes apart, but with as many as 3,380 mail-in ballots still not counted. We dont have to choose between toughness and compassion. COVID really put our kids back, Smith said. Theres still a value to be had by mobilizing an army of field workers, Hopkins said. I dont think we have enough power. Theres been a slight bump in voter turnout so far for Tuesdays runoff race compared to the February election, said Max Bever, director of public information for the Chicago Board of Elections, in an afternoon update. Every ballot returned by 7 p.m. Monday will be counted on election night. Follow Sun-Times and WBEZ runoff coverage on Aprils Election Day. Shes very thorough.. and extremely transparent about all the work she does, and thats the kind of partner I want to have at the city level because theres a big overlap in the constituents we serve.. We profiled each candidate in an effort to give you a fuller picture of who is going to be on your ballot come election day. After an exhausting, five-week battle for the heart and soul of Chicago, Johnson narrowly defeated former Chicago Public Schools CEO Paul Vallas, who led early, only to have Johnson overtake him and stay there. Brandon Johnson hugs members of his family at his election night party at the Marriott Marquis Chicago after defeating Paul Vallas in the mayoral runoff election, Tuesday, April 4, 2023. His mom, Iris Laracuent, has been teaching him to be more locally engaged. Holyfield, 35, brought her 12-year-old daughter, who goes by Kendra II, to vote, a move Dysoin applauded as a way to get young voters to the polls. Because this campaign has always been about building a better, stronger, safer Chicago for all the people of Chicago.. We dont have to choose between rich and poor, old and young. Smith, whose main issues were public safety and education, said her youngest child is now a senior in high school but struggled during the pandemic. Martin Luther King Jr. Nicole Lee gathered at her watch party at New Furama restaurant in Chicagos Chinatown neighborhood as polls closed throughout the ward and city. an explainer on why results might not be called tonight. (Armando L. Sanchez / Chicago Tribune). Three key issues that have faced Vallas and Johnson are public safety, union support, and race. Challenger Lori Torres Whitt, who was backed by the Chicago Teachers Union, received 42% of the votes. You can read more about Wilson on his campaign website. Read more here. That is, if they voted. If Clays lead holds, the number of Black City Council members will remain the same as 2019 with 20 members. A Chicago for the people because it is the people who brought todays victory to reality, Davis Gates told the crowd. The board last night reported that 184,723 people had cast their ballots before Election Day. But now its one person, which is amazing, and shes one of us shes homegrown, born and raised here.. The 2023 Chicago elections will take place in two rounds on February 28, 2023, and April 4, 2023. Despite an avalanche of business contributions that allowed him to outspend Johnson by a 2 to 1 margin, Vallas could not overcome his own statements on talk radio, Facebook and Twitter that left voters in this overwhelmingly Democratic city believing he is an anti-abortion, pro-voucher Republican. But she says the election is just a snapshot, its more about what they can do once in office. Dean and Renee Thompson voted at Morgan Park High School on Tuesday morning. So many of us came over around all of those issues for so many decades now and those coalitions are strong. U.S. municipal elections, 2023. The turnout in several majority African-American wards also appeared to be disappointing at mid-day. POLITICO's coverage of 2023 races for Congress, state supreme courts, mayors and more. Chicago Mayor Election Results. Polls citywide are open until 7 p.m. but Bever urged voting as soon as possible due to predicted stormy weather this afternoon. In general, it's never . And in the Southeast Sides 10th Ward, police Officer Peter Chico finished first over community organizer Ana Guajardo to succeed retiring Ald. Michael Carrasquillo and his mother Iris Laracuent outside Jonathan Scammon Public School. Mosley was calling the race for himself, according to his spokeswoman, Ebonee Dawson. Officials at the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners reported nearly 3,400 mail ballots could still make their way in from the ward spanning Lincoln Park, plus parts of Old Town and the Gold Coast. Timmy Knudsen has represented since Lightfoot appointed him to the seat in September after Michele Smith stepped down. Thats unfortunate, Bever said, considering that the mayoral election has a greater impact on young people than the presidential election. Highlighting the list. The 18-to-24 year-old turnout also remains stubbornly low, Bever said. 10th Ward aldermanic candidate Peter Chico votes at the Henry Clay School in Chicago Tuesday, 4-4-23. Complete ABC7 coverage of the 2023 Chicago mayoral election, city council elections and other municipal offices. Lee, the first woman of Asian descent to serve as on the City Council, would also be the first alderperson elected to represent a majority Asian ward in Chicago a long sought goal of Chinatown leaders. That requires a level of dedication and passion that exceeds people being paid to do it. And Ive talked to some young people about the ward race, and most of them dont know how City Council works or even what an alderman is, Carrasquillo said. Despite an avalanche of business contributions that allowed him to outspend Johnson by 2-to-1, Vallas could not overcome his own statements on talk radio, Facebook and Twitter that left voters in this overwhelmingly Democratic city believing he is an anti-abortion, pro-voucher Republican. pic.twitter.com/vIikeHvWCP. Theres a whiff of old-school plantation politics. 4 takeaways from Chicagos mayoral election. Kendra II suggested the next mayor implement three-day weekends for school kids. Villegas was up nearly 1,500 votes, with up to 1,764 mail-in ballots not counted, records show. With roughly 90,000 of uncounted votes by mail and a return rate of roughly 52%, that would mean that Johnson can expect to pick up 32,760 votes. The couple werent alone in voting for Johnson because of their disdain for Vallas. They believe in closing the jails. She was backed by her former boss and other establishment Democrats, including Gov. Sophia King jumped into the increasingly-crowded mayoral field this week, saying that she is seeking to run as someone who can unite different constituencies in the city, something she says Mayor Lori Lightfoot has failed to do. Voters stood in the garage, chatting and sipping Coca-Cola, Michelob Ultra and Bud Light, awaiting Ciaravinos arrival as upbeat hits by Whitney Houston and Bill Withers blared over the speakers. A former City Hall insider who has campaigned as both an expert administrator and outside-the-box thinker, Paul Vallas rose to local prominence as Chicago Public Schools CEO, serving under Mayor Richard M. Daley. We feel good about that. Although his father, Eugene Sawyer, was appointed mayor, an alderman has never been elected to the citys top post. He spent the night with his family at the 29th Ward office. Emil Jones, Ald. My name is Brandon Johnson, and I cant wait to be sworn in as the next mayor of the greatest city in the world, a euphoric Johnson, 47, told cheering supporters at the Marriott Marquis Chicago, 2121 S. Prairie Ave. To the Chicagoans who did not vote for me, heres what I want you to know: that I care about you. Young people should be excited to be able to vote, he said. As soon as he hits that age mark, hell be voting too, Cope said. Vincent Feldman, an 18-year-old senior at Notre Dame College Prep, voted for the first time in February and came out again for Tuesdays runoff. The history of Chinatown is that it has always been divided, Ng said. She added that she hopes to continue economic development and improve education and housing. Chicago Voter Turnout as of 12:00 Noon on Election Day, 4/4/23: 364,548 total ballots cast1,592,894 Registered Voters in Chicago22.9% total citywide turnout so far. Crime and economic development emerged as key issues in both races on the Northwest Side, where Ald. No one can say this is nepotism, Monique Scott said to the crowd as she declared victory. The Cook County commissioner whos backed by the Chicago Teachers Union also plans to create a robust youth hiring program to give our young people hope.. Monday broke a record for early voting in a single day with about 30,000 people voting, likely to avoid Tuesdays chance of storms. With Ald. Dean Vallas, Paul Vallass little brother, earlier said he believes tonight will finally be the night Vallas pulls off a political victory, after three previous failed bids that Dean Vallas worked on. Sections. (from left) Brandon Johnson and Paul Vallas address supporters at each mayoral candidate's respective watch party, Tuesday, April 4, 2023. Vallas has cited his experiences in running large school districts as hes hit the campaign trail, and has pledged to make massive changes to the citys finances, address issues of public safety and to integrate parents more effectively into the educational system. Sharkey said the citys progressive movement will still have to fight for recognition but thats a new, welcome fight. Weve got to look at the relative weighted turnout. Read more here. After a poll ran by the Congressman showed him beating incumbent mayor Lori Lightfoot in a two-way race, U.S. Rep. Chuy Garcia is mulling a run for mayor, NBC 5's Mary Ann Ahern reports. Incumbent Lori Lightfoot, Jesus Garcia, and Brandon Johnson have received . When some of his supporters shouted, No, Vallas admonished them. WBEZs Tessa Weinberg and Mariah Woelfel have more on the big mayoral showdown. Chicago Ald. While she made it, she said other young people might skip the polls for other reasons. It could be the case that some of the voters on the South Side who felt like they couldnt vote for us didnt vote at all. Taliaferro received nearly 51% of the votes with 96% of precincts reporting. While Lee the City Councils first Asian American woman had been publicly backed by the Daley clan, including Thompsons uncle, Cook County Commissioner John Daley, Ciaravinos campaign donors included a number of businessmen with ties to the Daleys. Brandon Johnson won the election to become Chicagos next mayor, but more than 270,000 voters still cast their ballots for Paul Vallas. Endorsements are a curious Rorschach test. A new poll released Thursday shows a virtual dead heat between Paul Vallas and the incumbent Mayor Lightfoot in the 2023 Chicago Mayoral Race. I care about whats left behind for my kids, my grandkids in the future. Knudsen, a former member of Chicagos zoning board of appeals, had under 52% of the vote to Brian Comers more than 48%, with all precincts reporting. Its not the same for presidential elections, where we see much higher youth turnout.. Catanzara, who would've been a longshot as a candidate, told ABC-7 he would not be running for mayor and instead would focus on his re-election as union president, the network reported Aug. 8 . This has been an unfortunate trend with young people decade over decade, with 18 to 24 year olds voting less, he said. There, turnout was every bit as anemic as it was on Feb. 28. Several have made previous runs at City Halls top job.