On one hand I had people saying: You are going to do incredible. But in Corpus [Christi, Texas, Selenas hometown], everyone has been really supportive., The films director, Gregory Nava, added that it was a little hurtful. The power suit (Image credit: Photo by Larry Busacca/Getty Images) Grab your mic, bust out the rhinestones and DIY the singer's most iconic outfits. Jennifer Lopez: The Impact Playing Selena Had on the Actress' Life, How Pete Davidsons Life Inspired Bupkis, Your Privacy Choices: Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads. looks like she got her wish! The Boy Bands of the 'TRL' Era: Where Are They Now? She traveled to Oaxaca, a paradise in Mexico, to read and completely extract herself from the world, she says. The actor who plays Selena Quintanilla's dad is spot on. How did she do this? We watched videos together and I guess, [she] really just trying to vibe our family not just who Selena was as a person, but us as a whole, as a family., It worked. Tejano music star Selena performs at the Spurs Stay in School Jamboree in the Alamodome in San Antonio in this March 18, 1995, file photo. That's not to say Serratos can't hold a note, though. It made a star out of . Her name is Becky Lee Meza, and while she. For the 15th Annual Tejano Music Awards, Quintanilla wore a purple sparkly jumpsuit and cropped jacket. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. SARA KHALID/NETFLIX 2021 . Now in her 30s and a married mother of four who goes by Becky Burden, Meza lives with her family in Harlingen, Texas. Her records have sold. 4. Back in San Antonio, Texas, Quintanilla celebrated her Grammy win at the Desperados Nightclub wearing an eggplant-colored sequined minidress with sheer fabric on the sleeves and around the neckline. She wanted to get to know the family who was still suffering from their shocking loss. It touched the family very much., That scene will forever have an impact on Lopez. The clothing line she was starting, getting married so young, things like that. The following year she nominated for best Mexican-American performance for her Amor Prohibido, though Vikki Carr took home the award that year. Tejano music singer Selena Quintanilla Perez performing at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The singer appeared in a silver-and-black top with black high-waisted pants and a black hat with a studded brim. 18 5 Delilahjanedoe Starter Joined Jan 24, 2015 Messages 329 Reactions 4,026 44 18 Alleybux 82,526 Dec 23, 2020 #8 The new Selena looks more like Selena in the face but idk, it's like the hair and costume stuff has a cheap look while the J Lo one looks more authentic. Adrienne Bailon YouTube Adrienne Bailon paid tribute to Selena last year on an episode of "The Real." She returned to the stage for the first time in six years to perform a cover of the late singer's hit ballad "I Could Fall In Love." The 'Victorious' star can sing, dance and act. 2023 BDG Media, Inc. All rights reserved. Late Tejano singer Selena as her dreams come true, and her family makes life-changing choices on the singer's journey to success. Although these two projects were her only experiences with the entertainment business, Meza's role as Selena was undoubtedly a defining moment of her childhood and career, and she works hard to help preserve the singer's memory. Tejano music singer Selena, seen here performing at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo in February 1994, remains a celebrated Latino cultural icon 20 years after her murder. After Chris Prez joined Selena y Los Dios as a guitarist, the two fell for each other though her father disapproved. It really did mark my life at that time to get to know the family and work with them. ", Martinez has had roles in films like Triple Frontier and Bless Me Ultima, as well as on television shows like Grey's Anatomy. Young hopefuls flocked to the audition, making the search for Selena the second best attended . "We had no alternative.". 02/26/1995 - Tejano singer Selena performs at the Astrodome during the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Instead, Marcella was portrayed more as the voice of reason to ensure that her kids were always happy, despite the immense pressure put on them by the music industry and their record label. 20 years after her death, Tejano icon Selena Quintanilla Perez remains an iconic figure for many young artists in Texas. r/SelenaQuintanilla . Among the reasons: that she wasnt the right kind of Latina. Save on AeroGarden indoor herb growing kits at Amazon, Create a bonsai tree out of bricks with this $40 LEGO set, Massive Coastal Bend ranch up for sale near Texas next big state park, Family gets largest known jail-death settlement in Texas: 'We wanted justice', Texas man catches massive alligator snapping turtle, then releases it back into the wild, Property north of San Antonio set to become a new Texas state park, Conroe ISD schools secured as manhunt for Cleveland, Texas shooter continues, Texas A&M University-Texarkana baseball player hit by a stray bullet mid-game, Preorder 'The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom' today, Astros vs Phillies: How to get tickets and free swag this weekend, There are a ton of great patio furniture sets on sale right now, Ime Udoka, Rockets dropping hints on teams free agency plans, Heat and humidity head to Houston as summer approaches, FBI to direct 'large scale' nuclear training in Houston this week, Astros headed to Mexico City in 2024 for historic matchup, Why this scenic train ride is considered one of Colorado's best. I soaked up everything, Lopez said in an Apple Music interview. "Her timing, her pitch were perfect," Selena's father, Abraham Quintanilla told PEOPLE in 1995. Massive ranch up for sale near Texas next big state park, Family gets largest known jail-death settlement in Texas, Texas man catches giant alligator snapping turtle, releases it, Texas House passes bill to decriminalize marijuana, 3,800-acre San Antonio-area property to become Texas state park, Conroe ISD schools secured as manhunt for gunman continues, Texas college baseball player hit by stray bullet mid-game, Uber ranks Houston among most 'forgetful' U.S. cities, You can own your own cave system for a cool $875k, home included, Watch: Fire breaks out at Houston's Traders Village, Former KPRC 2 anchor Dominique Sachse to launch podcast Monday, KPRC 2 Houston names new 4 p.m. anchor, adds traffic lead. Fans with a photo of Selena during a ceremony honoring her in 2017. Hearst Magazine Media, Inc. Site contains certain content that is owned A&E Television Networks, LLC. Cr. Her life tragically ended in 1995 at the age of 23 after being fatally shot by the manager of her fan club, but Quintanilla's legacy lives on. By her teens she was on the rise to stardom, and soon her music was hitting the charts. The photographs, which were taken by Carlos Romero, show the singer posing on a boat. Lo que Telemundo 'ocult' del final de la primera temporada de Hercai: amor y venganza. There's a Rumor Joe Alwyn Cheated on Taylor Swift Now that Selena: The Series is out on Netflix, you may be curious to know who the Selena Netflix cast looks like vs. the real people theyre playing. That's the tragedy of everything that happened and why she left such an imprint because she was gone way too soon., The tragic twist pervades every aspect when looking back upon Selenas short life. Quintanilla III. Like many young Latinas, Selena's untimely death had a major impact in her life. Met Gala Drama: The 14 Most Jaw-Dropping Moments to Ever Happen at Fashion's Biggest Night, Anna Wintour Reveals She Could Not Afford Dinner at the Met Gala in Her Early New York City Days, Met Gala 2023: Dua Lipa, Michaela Coel, Penlope Cruz and More to Co-Chair, Everything to Know About the 2023 Met Gala Honoring Karl Lagerfeld, The 15 Best Mother's Day Gift Ideas for Grandma That Show You Care, 15 Best Star Wars Day 2023 Deals on Amazon Right Now. She showed us what she can do on 'Glee' and has since released music and continued to act. (written by) Cast (in credits order) complete, awaiting verification Produced by Music by Dave Grusin Cinematography by Edward Lachman . and sister Suzettemade in order for her to become the star we know today. Tejano music star Selena poses in an outfit that was part of a line of clothing she introduced in this Dec. 2, 1994, file picture. Serratos is playing Selena Quintanilla-Prez in the upcoming Netflix series Selena about the life of the Mexican-American superstar . Even after her death, Lopez felt that the opportunity to learn from Selenas career affected her own trajectory. Selena Quintanilla is seen in an archive photo that promoted "La Leyenda.". Prohibida la reproduccin total o parcial de este reportaje y sus fotografas, aun citando su procedencia. Photo: Arlene Richie/Getty ; Larry Busacca/Getty ; AP Photo/Houston Chronicle, Dave Einsel, Doja Cat's Best Outfits: Her Most Iconic Looks Yet, Rihanna's Best Outfits: Her Most Iconic Looks Yet, Selena Quintanilla-Prez's Family Remembers Her 'Life and Legacy' 26 Years After Late Star's Death, Last Night's Look: The Must-See Celebrity Outfits of the Week, Beyonc's Best Outfits: Her Most Iconic Looks Yet, Selena Gomez's Best Outfits: Her Most Iconic Looks Yet, Harry Styles' Best Outfits: His Most Iconic Looks Yet, Billie Eilish's Best Outfits: Her Most Iconic Looks Yet, Kylie Jenner's Best Outfits: Her Most Iconic Looks Yet, Bad Bunny's Best Outfits: His Most Iconic Looks Yet, Taylor Swift's Eras Tour Outfits, from Her Versace Bodysuit to Her Roberto Cavalli Dress, Lenny Kravitz Brings Rocker Style to the Oscars 2023 Red Carpet in Plunging Silk Blouse, Law Roach's Best Styling Moments: From Zendaya to Cline Dion. For Halloween 2017, Kim Kardashian dressed as the singer, whom she called "my fave.". In celebration of what would have been the star's 52nd birthday, here's a look back at Selena Quintanilla's life in photos. Check out all the stars - including Christian Serratos, Selena. [The protesters] should be celebrating that we have an all-Latino cast and that Jennifer Lopez, one of our own, is becoming a star.. ), and the two actresses who depicted herJennifer Lopez (SN) and Christian Serratos (SD??). I slept in her bed at home. Selena (1997) Full Cast & Crew See agents for this cast & crew on IMDbPro Directed by Gregory Nava Writing Credits ( WGA) Gregory Nava . That really freed me up, and it was a very powerful moment.. While performing at Randy's Bingo in San Antonio, Quintanilla wore a white bustier with silver embellishments, high-waisted white pants and white boots with fringe. That affected me in my life far more profoundly than the movie did in career terms., Getting all of Selenas iconic looks right was a challenge with more than 30 outfits. SELENA LA SERIE - Temporada 2 (L to R) CHRISTIAN SERRATOS as SELENA QUINTANILLA in Episode 207 of SELENA LA SERIE Temporada 2. In her final days, Selena got to enjoy her ongoing success and make plans for the future but she also had to deal with frustrating encounters with Yolanda Saldvar, the woman who had managed. The dress would later be replicated for the 1997 biopic Selena starring Jennifer Lopez. I wanted to tell her story in a responsible way, I just wanted to be her vehicle so that she could share her story.". Known for his role as Jacob Aguilar on the groundbreaking Hulu series East Los High, Chavarria earned his breakout role in Freedom Writers, starring Hilary Swank, after he was discovered while playing basketball at a local park. The star performed alongside the Barrio Boyzz wearing high-waisted leather pants, a leather jacket and a black bra top. Right after I got the part, I knew I would be traveling to Corpus Christi and spending time with her family, but that wasn't going to be for a few weeks, so they sent me tons of tapes to watch, she told Billboard. The moment is also remembered as the night Selena won the Best Mexican/American Album award 4. He also covers various aspects of pop culture, including the local drag scene and "RuPaul's Drag Race. The Houston-area Selena tribute artist looks and laughs exactly like the Tejano legend. We can see it. Her jeweled bras. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart on Aug. 4, 1995, and stayed on the list for 49 weeks. I'm a perfectionist.. However, Jennifer Lopez got the role. "Her perseverance to continue chasing her dreams," she wrote, "is what I admire the most in her. Mexican singer Selena performing in concert; one month later she would be shot and killed by Yolanda Saldivar, the pres. After he found out the two had been secretly seeing each other, he kicked Prez out of the band, but Selena insisted he come back on board. 12 actresses who could play Selena in the upcoming Netflix series Joey Guerra Dec. 12, 2018 Updated: April 16, 2019 9:02 p.m. 81 Selena is coming to Netflix. Air dates and casting have not yet been announced. The young star, who's of Hispanic and Filipino descent, was born and raised in California. As she told ET recently, getting to play Selenas sister, Suzette, was an experience in self-love. The series doesn't waste any time jumping right into a Selena concert scene, which may have some fans wondering if Christian Serratos is really singing in Selena: The Series or not. Like many young Latinas, Selena's untimely death had a major impact in her life. The singer's partnership with Coca-Cola featured a number of memorable photoshoots, one of the earliest being this campaign shot by Pam Francis in 1991. Ciara wore a Selena-inspired costume in 2021, saying, "I wanted one of my costumes to reflect the LatinX culture." Happy birthday, Selena. Dubbed the "Queen of Tejano Music" or the "Tex-Mex Madonna," Selena would go on to become one of the best-selling female Latin music artists ever (with more than 65 million units sold worldwide, according to Billboard). Young Selena 9 episodes, 2020-2021. Below are 17 artists who have all been inspired by Selena's glorious career. After sourcing what Cortzar calls quite a collection of bras from the '80s and '90s, the costume designer used them as a "base" to recreate the look. Selena Quintanilla-Prez was an American singer, songwriter, model, actor, fashion designer, and spokesperson. Saldivar shot Selena once in the back shortly after she arrived, and about an hour later she was pronounced dead at the hospital. [Lopez] was just wanting to hear stories about Selena and our lives together and being on the road, and How was this? She asked a lot of questions, How was this? Selena rode out to the stage on a carriage and kicked off the set with a medley of disco tunes that included "I Will Survive" and "Funkytown," followed by some of her biggest hits such as "Bidi Bidi Bom Bom," "Si Una Vez" and "Como La Flor.". The Mexican actress had a team help her morph into Selena Quintanilla for Univision's reality show Tu Cara Me Suena. In an interview with Entertainment Tonight, Suzette talked about how the Netflix show is different from the 1997 Selena movie starring Jennifer Lopez. Quintanilla attended the Premio Lo Nuestro awards in Miami, Florida, in a timeless, all-black look. It was a great thing for her to be my mentor in a way and teach me so much about how to navigate this business, but [also] how to navigate this life, she told NBC News. Showing Editorial results for selena quintanilla. Nobody can sing like Selena Quintanilla. CONTACT FILED: SELENA. Also they don't look alike. The Life of Selena/La Vida de Selena is a childrens book about the legendary Tejano singer. Be the first to know what's trending, straight from Elite Daily, 'Heartstopper' Season 2 Finally Has A Premiere Date & It's V Soon, Yes, There's An Actual Petition To Remove Nick & Vanessa Lachey As 'Love Is Blind' Hosts, That Rumor About Lauren & Cameron Replacing The Lacheys As 'LIB' Hosts Was Wrong, By subscribing to this BDG newsletter, you agree to our. in 1994. I feel like, moving forward . Fans of Desperate Housewives know Chavira as Carlos Solis, husband of one Gabrielle Solis (Eva Longoria). Joey Guerra is the music critic for the Houston Chronicle. "It took me a while, but I managed to figure out exactly where she had bought it," Elisabetta Beraldo, the film's costume designer, told Billboard in 2017. HollywoodLife has 5 key things you need to know about Yolanda. Why Did James Corden Leave The Late Late Show? boutiques, in Corpus Christi, Texas. Inspired by her mother, an amateur actress, Gomez tried out for a role on the PBS children's television series Barney & Friends and, as a result, appeared regularly on the program in 2002-04. Selena Quintanilla was an American singer, songwriter, model, fashion designer, and actress. 1. The 1994 Grammys, which took place at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, were a huge moment for Quintanilla; the singer won best Mexican/American album for her album Live!, making her the first female Tejano artist to do so. But Serratos did not have to worry about sounding just like Selena during the numerous singing scenes, because the series opted to use Selena's actual recorded performances and have Serratos lip sync them. Her first tattoo was a tiny musical note on her wrist in 2012. So who will do it on the small screen? The family of the late Tejano singer signed a licensing agreement last week with producers, whose Broadway stage credits include "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde'' and "The Capeman,' which would allow a stage musical based on Selena's life to be produced. The Walking Deadstar Christian Serratois reportedly in talks to play Selena in the upcoming and highly-anticipated Netflix series. For the occasion, she chose a silver embellished Lillie Rubin halter gown that she purchased at The Galleria mall in Houston, Texas. It's so interesting to see the different looks/vibes they each have with the same outfit 1 / 6 Selena 191 37 comments Best Add a Comment Anxious_Buy5621 2 yr. ago Oh I like this. In true Selena style, the ensemble was embellished with silver details and paired with a red bustier. HOLA! All About RAC, Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez's Friendship Timeline, 12 Girl Groups Who Have Made Their Mark on the Music Industry, Women Changing the Music Industry Today: 'I Deserve the Spotlight'. She has a 30-year trajectory and puts her soul into every role. The star wore a sparkly red bustier and red jeans, her signature red lipstick matching the ensemble. I got more thick, more plump, and I felt good taking up more space just by existing," she said. Selena, who is referred to as the Queen of Tejano music, won her first Grammy for Best Mexican/American Album for Live! It was about portraying her as best I could, to where people werent thinking of anybody but her when they were watching, Lopez continued. "After I found out I was going to be Selena, I dreamed of her every night," said Maya in a recent interview. Selena Quintanilla (R?? The lead character, Selena Quintanilla, is played by The Walking Dead alum Christian Serrato. The grace with which she handled the business, the grace with which she handled her life, the humor. Generator vs power station: Which one is right for you? Selena: The Series, which premiered on Netflix on Friday, December 4, documents the career of Tejano music singer, Selena Quintanilla. Perez says the book, released Tuesday, allows him to share his memories of his wife, the late Selena Quintanilla, who was shot and killed on March 31, 1995, two weeks shy of her 24th birthday. Despite her many embellished stage ensembles, Quintanilla also loved to wear more casual pieces. "I am lip syncing.". We just saw her in 'Life Size 2' and she's a central character on 'Grownish. For the album's photoshoot, the star wore one of her signature embellished bustiers with an embellished blue jacket and high-waisted black pants. Mexican actress Maya Zapata plays Selena Quintanilla in the new series El Secreto de Selena coming soon to Telemundo. Bob Marley (1945 1981) PETER MAZEL-LONDON FEATURES/EAST NEWS 3. She was named the 'Queen of Tejano Music.' She is regarded as one of the most significant Mexican-American singers of the late 20th century. There was a girl named Leticia Miller, but she was an actress from Monterrey who also auditioned for the role and looked like Selena and she is the one people have confused. But watching footage wasnt enough. So, if you're thinking the songs in the show sound exactly like Selena, it's because they are actually sung by the singer. How to Watch King Charles' Coronation Live in the U.S. Save Up to 70% on Rugs for Every Room at Wayfair's Sale, Selena Quintanilla's Mother and Brother Reflect on Her Legacy at 'Emotional' Walk of Fame Ceremony. Meza also went on to become a social worker, as well as own a flower and bridal boutique, which happens to be decorated with Selena memorabilia and photos with her movie costars, and appeared at the first Fiesta de la Flor event in 2015, a Corpus Christi, Texas, festival launched to celebrate the life and legacy of the queen of Tejano music. Here, she poses with her exclusive fashion designer Martin Gomez wearing a white dress with a bow at the front and oversized pearl jewelry. 5. Anything for Selena's! . She paired the look with a silver necklace and silver hoop earrings, her hair pulled back into a bun. This is a carousel. One of her most iconic looks to date, it was recreated by Jennifer Lopez in her 1997 biopic. Selena's Lasting Legacy Arlene Richie/Getty On March 31, 1995, Selena who was just 23 years old at the time went to confront the former president of her fan club, Yolanda Saldvar, at the. In an interview with A&E Real Crime, Carlos Valdez said, "Yolanda wanted to kill Selena because Selena was firing Yolanda. This matching athleisure set makes it easy to see how Quintanilla became a trendsetter. See photos of the real Selena, Suzette and more. You'll do a great job' and others were saying: You don't look anything like her, she says about the challenges of taking on the iconic role. In this rarely-seen photo of a 17-year-old Quintanilla, the singer poses for black-and-white portraits shot by Robert Bunch for . It was an important part of my life. I'm a loner and love to stay home reading, she reveals. While the band started as a family business, the group later added other musicians including Chris Prez, Ricky Vela, Joe Ojtaeda and Pete Astudillo with other musicians joining in at various times during their tenure. Back in 1997, the music biopic on Selena Quintanilla was released only two years after her murder at 23 years old. Like his castmates, he's taken to Instagram to share his admiration for the "Como la flor"singer: "Selena was a woman who truly lit up a room with her beautiful smile. In this rarely-seen photo of a 17-year-old Quintanilla, the singer poses for black-and-white portraits shot by Robert Bunch for the Corpus Christi Caller-Times. Shoppers Melissa Gomez, right and Leticia Gonzalez get their photo taken at the debut of MAC's Selena Collection at the Galleria on Thursday, Oct. 6, 2016, in Houston. Selena wore a jaw-dropping embellished Lillie Rubin halter gown to the 1994 Grammy Awards. People en Espaol may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. A Living Memorial to the late Selena Quintanilla-Prez. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Seidy Lopez, who played Deborah Selena's friend in the movie, will be playing her mom in the series. She had a sense of living in the moment, living in the present and following her heart, Lopez told Billboard. For a performance at the Noche De Carnaval in Miami, Florida, Quintanilla wore an asymmetrical black skirt with a black bustier and sheer top. Inside the Selena Museum. A.B., played by Gabriel Chavarria, is Selenas brother and is responsible for writing many of her hits, including Como La Flor. He was also the bass player for the siblings band, Selena y Los Dinos, before Selenas record label decided to drop y Los Dinos from the name, as seen in the show. More than 25 years after her murder at the age of 23, Selena Quintanilla-Prez, or just Selena, endures as a music icon. Offers may be subject to change without notice. He has reviewed hundreds of concerts and interviewed hundreds of celebrities, from Justin Bieber to Dolly Parton to Beyonce. Where Is He Going, The True Story of Popes Exorcist Gabriele Amorth, The Real Story Behind Netflixs Transatlantic, The True Story of the Michael Jordan Film Air, Michael Jordans Two Requests for The Movie Air, Tetris Creator Alexey Pajitnov Got No Royalties, Actors in the 1993s Super Mario Bros. Hated It, The Mandalorian Features Jar Jar Binks Actor. 26 2 Asiaxxcline Hey Maid Joined Dec 6, 2020 She also played Selena in the docu-drama 'M. For me, that was the biggest lesson., Beyond that, it was just the way Selena carried herself. Selena: The Series shows Abraham discovering Selenas talent and navigating her career by booking her shows and finding her a record deal. Nov. 25, 2020. Its a sad story. The star posed for the El Sol Newspaper at Corpus Cristi Beach in a collared crop top and athletic pants, a look that's very much in style today. In which had the year 2019 written in the top left corner of the album cover. She tells People En Espaol that, like many people of her generation, she was a fan of Selena and grew up listening to the Queen of Tex Mex, so getting this iconic role was a blessing. On March 31, 1995, Selena who was just 23 years old at the time went to confront the former president of her fan club, Yolanda Saldivar, at the Days Inn motel in Corpus Christi, Texas as Selena and her family suspected she'd been embezzling funds after being tapped to help run her boutiques. She is in love. She left behind a husband, Chris Perez, and a loving family, including her parents, Marcella Ofelia Quintanilla, and Abraham Quintanilla Jr. As mentioned, the Tejano superstar was killed at the end of Marchjust weeks before her 24th birthday, on 16 April. The difference is that the series is about the actual journey of us being a family, struggling to understand and figure out this musical part of us that we didnt really realize that we had, she said. After wowing crowds at sporting events singing the national anthem and scoring roles in various commercials over the years, she's set to wow audiences with her take on a young Selena. I love what a sweet and humble person she was despite her huge following.". There were so many that I loved, Lopez continued to Billboard. ', The 'Orange is the New Black' actress recorded a cover of Selena's 'Como la Flor' and is a big Selena fan. 10 Selena-Inspired Halloween Costumes That Celebrate the Tejano Music Icon. In 1994, Selena released Amor Prohibido, which became one of the best-selling Latin albums in the United States. "It felt like we had to finish it.". It was a Latin movie, starring a Latin girl, playing a Latin artist and a Latin director. "I feel that I was supposed to experience the filming of the movie and experience the short-lived fame to humble me and just show me a lot of things that I probably wouldn't have learned, had it not been for the movie.". Selena Quintanilla Perez. A former performer on Kids Say the Darndest Things, the 9-year-old already looks the part of the young icon in her late '80s glory. HOUCHRON CAPTION (06/13/1999): "I don't think it would be this intense or popular if Selena hadn't come along, and I don't think I've heard her mentioned in any of this Latin explosion thing," says Chris Perez about Latin music's recent popularity. She worked with designer Martin Gomez to fill the shops with pieces that celebrated her Mexican-American heritage while reflecting her own personal style her trademark bejeweled bustiers, for example. She and her siblings sang at quinceaeras and at fairs. And she was raised in Brownsville, where she competed in beauty pageants. Biography and associated logos are trademarks of A+E Networksprotected in the US and other countries around the globe. (Christina House/Los Angeles Times) Serratos doesn't remember when she first became aware of the singer. In addition to her trailblazing music career, the "Bidi Bidi Bom Bom" singer made serious waves as a fashion icon. Lopez poured her soul into researching the role even sleeping in Selenas bed to understand the tragically short life of the Queen of Tejano Music. People like that don't come along every day it's a special thing that Selena had. That's when Selena y Los Dios was born, made up of Selena, her sister Suzette on the drums and her brother A.B. The first season of the biopic series showed Selenas childhood, rise to fame and the difficult decisions that her familydad Abraham, mom Marcela, brother A.B. y entrate de todo antes que nadie. But the San Antonio native has also made his mark on shows like Santa Clarita Diet, Jane the Virgin and Scandal as well as films like Piranha 3D and Dead Space 3. In an editorial shoot with photographer Blanca Charolet, Quintanilla wore a sweet floral bra top and matching skirt along with her hair in a high ponytail and dramatic gold earrings. Late Tejano singer Selena as her dreams come true, and her family makes life-changing choices on the singer's journey to success.