Convicts-at-Large < Season 3 > < Episode 11 > Air Date December 10, 1962 Cast Andy Griffith as Sheriff Andy Taylor Don Knotts as Deputy Barney Fife Howard McNear as Floyd Lawson Reta Shaw as Big Maude Tyler Jean Carson as Jalene Naomi Connors Jane Dulo as Sally Willis Bouchey as Charlie O'Malley Director (s) Bob Sweeney Writer (s) Jim Fritzell After Peggy breaks a date with Andy, Barney sets himself and Andy up with some "fun girls" (Joyce Jameson, Jean Carson) from Mount Pilot. . She earned fourth billing in the 1968 Peter Sellers comedy The Party, perhaps her best-known film. Tap "Sign me up" below to receive our weekly newsletter We open to the iconic opening credits, whistled by music composer Earl Hagen. I don't care how often I've seen this episode; I still laugh whenever Floyd calls him Al. Find movie and film cast and crew information for The Andy Griffith Show : Convicts at Large (1962) - Bob Sweeney on AllMovie ", This episode was written as a satire of the 1953 best-selling book, 1954 Tony award-winning play (starring Paul Newman), and 1955 movie (starring Humphrey Bogart) called "The Desperate Hours." Convicts at Large The Andy Griffith Show: Season 3 -- Tomatometer 0 Reviews Episode Info Three female escaped convicts imprison Barney and Floyd in a remote cabin. Andy: Andy Griffith. Meldrim: Warren Parker. Love this episode, it makes me laugh the entire 30 minutes! In " A New Doctor In Town ," William Christopher (Who also played Father Francis Mulcahy on " M*A*S*H ") arrives in Mayberry driving a 1955 Jaguar XK 140. "[citation needed]). Andy: Andy Griffith. Mrs. Jeffries: Isabel Randolph. Barney: Don Knotts. S3 E13 - The Bank Job. Otis: Hal Smith. He tells Barney to get "the big one" to come outside, but Maude interrupts and sends Barney back to the couch. She was associated with The Andy Griffith Show for many years, attending cast performances, conventions, and other meetings and writing back to fans personally until she suffered a severe stroke which left her incapacitated in September 2005. Thelma Lou: Betty Lynn. Mrs. Rodenbach: Mary Lansing. Prior to this episode, they did not exist. Maude warns the deputy if he tries anything like that again, she's gonna let Naomi "curl his hair" with the gun. Andy: Andy Griffith. See production, box office & company info. Back in Mayberry, Andy organizes a posse to round up the women, unaware of Barney and Floyd's plight. Al: Michael Ross. Jean Carson appears in my favorite episode of, Jane Dulo, a character actress that has been in seeminglyevery sitcom made during the 60s and 70s, only appeared this once on. Privacy Policy Sally immediately takes a liking to Barney, telling Maude she thinks "the cop is kind of cute" and that Barney reminds her of Al from the old Cascade Club in Toledo. Opie: Ronny Howard. ", As the episode comes to a close, days later, Barney is acting humble while bragging about how he remained cool and calm but poor Floyd didn't know what to do with himself. Not what you asked for, but, Naomi and her husband's "song" that upsets her earlier in the episode is an orchestral version of "Poor Butterfly.". Briscoe: Denver Pyle. Dub Taylor appears as a preacher. Daphne was a notorious flirt who greeted her objects of affection with a throaty . Gomer: Jim Nabors. The two run out of gas while returning from a fishing trip and, while looking for a telephone, are captured by three escaped female convicts. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Dec 10, 1962, Directed By: Regarding the hamburgers Sally temarkd to Al (Barney): Al, honey, Naomi is making them all rare. Naomi spots them walking down the road from inside and calls for Big Maude's help. Barney: Don Knotts. Naomi: Don't worry. Tate: Jon Lormer. S3 E14 - One-Punch Opie. Rosemary: Rachel Ames. Floyd: Howard McNear. All to no avail, of course. O'Malley: Willis Bouchey. Harriet: Frances Osborne. Finding the evening paper outside the Sheriff's Office door, Barney is distraught to see the headline that reads "LOCAL BARBER CAPTURES ESCAPED CONVICTS! Barney gets so carried away with instructing two prisoners jailed at the courthouse about life at "the rock" that he winds up letting them escape. Convicts-at-Large - Season 3, Episode 11 - 10 Dec. 1962 - Barney and Floyd are held hostage in a cabin by three escaped women convicts. The future Mrs. Taylor, schoolteacher Helen Crump (Aneta Corsaut), made her first appearance in this episode, in which Opie tells her that his pa says history doesn't matter. Floyd's car appears to be a 1934 Pontiac, 2-door sedan, from what I can tell. Lavinia: Barbara Perry. Barney: Don Knotts. Ragged farmer Rafe Hollister (Jack Prince) auditions for an upcoming concert--but he's met with snobbery when he's picked to sing the solo. Nervously, Floyd says everything is going great, and "even Al is having a good time," before trying to get into the car. So it's up to Andy to solve the mystery. Just as they begin, Floyd returns home with arms full of groceries. Daphne was a notorious flirt who greeted her objects of affection with a throaty "Hello Doll".[3]. Barney demands to be called by his real name and questions what happens if he refuses to make the call. The play won Tony awards and did quite well which is why a movie version was also done. Barney and Floyd stumble upon a cabin in the woods where three dangerous female convicts are hiding out. Continuity mistake: After Andy and Floyd talk outside the grocery Floyd gets into his car with the convict, and when they drive away we see all the food ads taped to both of the store windows while Andy's on the sidewalk, but when it cuts to Andy's closeups the taped ads have changed. The Andy Griffith Show S3 E11 Three escaped female convicts imprison Barney Fife and Floyd the barber in a remote cabin. Three female escaped convicts imprison Barney and Floyd in a remote cabin. After bickering about a shortcut that made them run out of gas, Barney puts on his police uniform "just in case" they need to hitchhike. Three female escaped convicts imprison Barney and Floyd in a remote cabin. EMBED. This is critical information for downstream systems. Barney: Suppose I refuse? Acka backa soda cracker, out goes you!". We think of Barney as being stupid, but Floyd takes it to a new level. Aunt Bee: Frances Bavier. Opie: Ronny Howard. By continuing, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Opie: Ronny Howard. Just watch. Leave a comment below and let me know. The phrase "Acka Backa, spoken by Big Maude, refers to a children's nursery rhyme: "Acka backa soda cracker, acka backa boo! Spoiled kid Arnold Winkler (Ronnie Dapo) made his first appearance in this episode as the new kid in town, who gives Opie tips on wheedling gifts from Andy. Andy, who spots Floyd in town buying groceries (with one of the convicts), thinks they have a little party going on until O'Malley arrives back in town on the bus. > Season 3 Back in Mayberry, Andy organizes a posse to round up the women, unaware of Barney and Floyd's plight. A sitcom about the colourful characters a small, sleepy town in North Carolina, the main focus being on the widowed sheriff and his young son. (Carson described Hutton as a "foulmouthed old biddy" and said that was the only acting experience she did not enjoy. Leon: Clint Howard. At the age of 12, she got her first acting job, earning $5 for a small part in a production of Carmen that traveled through her hometown. They never get the man. After the credits, we see the outside of a prison at night. Hudgins: Forrest Lewis. Al! Barney quickly tries to tell Andy that he's being held prisoner by those women speaking in Pig Latin, but Andy had already hung up. On The Andy Griffith show, Carson had a brief role as Naomi in a 1962 episode ("Convicts At Large" with Jane Dulo and Reta Shaw), but her most popular role was Daphne, one of the "fun girls", who appeared with Joyce Jameson on a recurring basis from 1962 to 1965. Ralph: Don Haggerty. Please consider taking this quick survey to let us know how we're doing and what we can do better. Leon: Clint Howard. Reta always reminded me of Anne Ramsey, who played Mama Fratelli in, Big Maude is soon followed by Naomi (Jean Carson) and Sally (Jane Dulo). Andy rekindles a romance at a high-school reunion and the two wonder why they ever broke up. Episode Details & Credits. When Floyd and Barney run out of gas as they pass through a woods, they go to the cabin of a rich man. It's Me, Margaret. Bee and her friends fall under the spell of a traveling medicine man, Col. Harvey (John Dehner), and fall even harder for his elixir, which is mostly alcohol. Mayor: Parley Baer. Howie: Dennis Rush. Barney: Im not Al, my name is Barney. From The TV IV < The Andy Griffith Show. The book was a best-seller which is why a Broadway play was made titled the same and also based on incidents similar to the Hill Family, but in the play version, the family experienced fictional sexual and violent acts at the hands of the convicts. Mr. McBeevee: Karl Swenson. Opie: Ronny Howard. Jake: Allan Melvin. Floyd spills the beans, however, explaining that Barney is only allowed one bullet in case of emergencies. Burly: Thom Carney. This was also the last appearance of Howard McNear (Floyd the barber), who suffered a stroke and left the show immediately following filming. You're right, it is! Plus the extra bonus is one of the "fun girls" is in this episode. Fletch: Bob McQuain. Andy mutters to himself that it would be just like Barney to "be off fishing today," establishing that the Deputy is out of town. Barney and Floyd are held hostage by a gang of escaped female convicts who have been hiding in O'Malley's cabin outside of town. Burton: Bing Russell. Mrs. Morgan: Helen Kleeb. This is also the show that finds Barney dressed as a bride. Barney immediately senses something wrong and screams, "THEY'RE CONS!" [citation needed], Carson went on to appear in many pioneering television series, including Studio One, NBC Presents, The Twilight Zone (as Paula in "A Most Unusual Camera", a part written especially for her by Rod Serling) and The Ford Theatre Hour. The mayor refuses to let Mayberry's out-of-tune band enter the state competition, so Andy enlists help from professional musicians. speech. Also Starring: Don Knotts (Deputy Barney Fife) Cast: Howard McNear (Floyd Lawson), Reta Shaw (Big Maude Tyler), Jean Carson (Jalene Connors), Jane Dulo (Sally . Ollie: Lee Krieger. In the summertime, the windows would be open, and several times, Granny (who lived next door) would ask what we were laughing so hard at the following day when I went over to play. They find while looking for a telephone and are captured by three female escaped convicts. We will keep fighting for all libraries - stand with us! Big Maude immediately realizes that the gun is unloaded, and questions why a policeman would have an unloaded pistol. When individual episodes have scores, they will influence the final season score. Frequently, what we'd be laughing at would be. (Naomi and Sally roll their eyes at each other.) Asa: Charles Thompson. It is revealed in this episode that Barney likes his hamburgers cooked medium-rare. By creating an account, you agree to the Better phone him Al., Floyd: "Maude.. Al.. EMBED (for wordpress.com . Hardware Clerk: Dabbs Greer. The family was treated well while held hostage, and the convicts were caught when they finally left the house. Upchurch: Ralph Bell. Jimmy Morgan (Pat Colby) is suspected of robbing the gas station where he works, so Barney rigs a camera to catch the real crook. May 20, 2020 - Explore JEANNINE Cleary's board "The Andy Griffith Show Convicts At Large", followed by 158 people on Pinterest. ", Sally sullenly responds, "You've changed, Al.". At the time of filming (October 1962) would have been only 28 years old. Still trying to make Andy aware of their predicament, he again says it's just O'Malley, himself and Al. Gomer: Jim Nabors. The lights are on, but Barney mentions that he thought O'Malley was away in Detroit. A funny joke lists the aliases of Big Maude: Maude Tyler, Big Maude Tyler, Clarise Tyler, Maude Clarise Tyler, Annabelle Tyler and Ralph Henderson. The third season of "Andy" introduces several new, recurring characters into the cast -- including "Gomer Pyle" (played by Jim Nabors) and two new girlfriends for Sheriff Andy Taylor -- "Peggy McMillan" (portrayed by the ultra-fetching Joanna Moore) and "Helen Crump" (Aneta Corsaut). For the first half of the 1970s Carson had a drinking problem which limited her acting career. We're continuously trying to improve TheTVDB, and the best way we can do that is to get feedback from you. As I remember, you used to like your burgers well done." Wow, guess my brain translated it. Steve: Scott McCarter. Barney demands Andy have a talk with the boy, which, naturally, straightens everything out. Everett Greenbaum, Aunt Bee: Frances Bavier. Genre: Comedy Network:. The two run out of gas while returning from a fishing trip and, while looking for a telephone, are captured by three escaped female convicts. Barney: Don Knotts. I won't be responsible!". Other cast members and guest stars featured in . Floyd: . Well, for me at that age, late was about 8pm. Questioning Barney, Sally asks: "Al, honey, Naomi is making them all rare. He attempts to get her to dance toward the door several times before successfully getting her outside. When the girls get intimidatingly close with the gun, Floyd whispers, "You better call him, Al.". Prothro: Johnny Silver. Freddy: Joseph Sirola. As she leans over the railing, Andy and Mr. O'Malley replicate the maneuver before dragging her off to the squad car, too. [citation needed], In high school she was voted Girl Most Likely to Succeed as an Actress. While the exchange over how Al has changed occurs, Andy secretly reaches through the kitchen window and empties the water bucket. Phil: William Eben. She first became interested in show business as a child, playing a "bad little Indian girl". Andy Griffithwas very attractive to most women back when the show was on. Barney: Don Knotts. In town, Andy sees Floyd loading the groceries into the car and runs over to say hello. the Terms and Policies, and to receive email from Rotten Tomatoes. Share to Pinterest. The Andy Griffith Show (TV Series) Convicts-at-Large (1962) Howard McNear: Floyd Lawson Showing all 10 items Jump to: Photos (5) Quotes (5) Photos Quotes Floyd Lawson : Maude! I wonder what the name of the tango is that Barney and the big woman dance to? Mort: Al Checco. Josie: Lydia Crosswaithe. Pete: Lewis Charles. alphaz_1 Sally wants to stay and dance with Al, but Maude chases them off. What transpires is hilarious. While dancing, he opens the front door of the cabin bit Maude is immediately suspicious. Andy: Andy Griffith. Andy stops courting Peggy when he learns she comes from a wealthy background, fearing that he's too unsophisticated for her. Convicts-at-Large As I remember, you used to like your burgers HARD., Hard? While Andy and Opie are walking down to the Mayberry fishing hole, the two are really walking down to the pond in Franklin Canyon Park, near Los Angeles, California. There are also outside shoppers where there weren't any before. Known as: Big Maude Tyler, Clarice Tyler, Maude Clarice Tyler, Annabelle Tyler and Ralph Henderson. Rita Shaw was marvelous in her role as "Big Maude" Tyler; (also known as Clarice Tyler, Maude Clarice Tyler, Annabelle Tyler and Ralph Henderson). Wally: Norman Leavitt. But it's up to Barney to get the third using all the charm he can muster, along with his best Rudolph Valentino impression. Barney frustratedly yells back, "No! Starring: Andy Griffith, Don Knotts, Don Knotts, Ron Howard, Ron Howard, Frances Bavier, Frances Bavier. Click on the Pause buttom to allow the Video to Pre-Load for a few seconds, then click the Play button to continue. Gomer: Jim Nabors. Andy pounces, and the two finally capture the third escaped convict. Barney: Don Knotts. Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story: Season 1. Matt: Orville Sherman. Naomi: Jean Carson. Check box if your review contains spoilers. Billy Ray: Dub Taylor. Mary Lee: Barbara Perry. Convicts-at-Large - YouTube 0:00 / 4:07 Convicts-at-Large Jon Goranson 180 subscribers 358 views 11 years ago 11th episode of Season 3 of the Andy Griffith Show Show more Show more. Big Maude: Reta Shaw. Thelma Lou: Betty Lynn. Or maybe I should get my ears checked. And Otis spikes the courthouse's water cooler, much to the surprise of the mayor and Barney. Barney and Floyd are held hostage in a cabin by three escaped women convicts.Barney and Floyd are held hostage in a cabin by three escaped women convicts.Barney and Floyd are held hostage in a cabin by three escaped women convicts. Resigned to dancing, Barney begs to at least be the one who leads. [citation needed], Carson was married to Leonard Smith, Jr.,[4] who was the assistant manager of the Roxy Theater. Be the first one to, Convicts At Large Season 3 Episode 11 Of The Andy Griffith Show, ConvictsAtLargeSeason3Episode11OfTheAndyGriffithShow, Advanced embedding details, examples, and help, Terms of Service (last updated 12/31/2014). Barney refuses but Big Maude forces him at gunpoint. The show contains the hilarious scene in which Opie holds his breath and throws a temper tantrum to get attention. Charlie! Mr. Winkler: Harlan Warde. web pages For the English-born actress, see, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jean_Carson&oldid=1132257051, Carnegie Mellon University College of Fine Arts alumni, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, Pages using infobox person with multiple spouses, Articles with unsourced statements from July 2022, Articles with unsourced statements from March 2017, Articles with unsourced statements from November 2010, Internet Broadway Database person ID same as Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, "fun girl" Daphne (3x) escaped convict Naomi (1x), This page was last edited on 8 January 2023, at 00:57. Acka backa soda cracker, out goes you!" Share via email. Her last film role was 1977's Fun with Dick and Jane. A catchy tune for sure. Harry: Arthur Kendall. Viewing Sluggish? Sirens wail andguards rapidly shine spotlights around the yard, searching for someone. Barney: Don Knotts. Seated next to him is Floyd Lawson, the barber. . Our massive preview has details on the most promising new shows and your Get details about the top TV premieres in May 2023, including a reunion S3:E22. Tiny: Billy Halop. I'm sure it's just Hollywood-level quaintness, but it's nice to dream about what could have been and what I think still ought to be. Super Grover. Barney: Don Knotts. The '55 movie did not include the sex and violence like the play did. Opie: Ronny Howard. Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story: Season 1, Link to Marvel Movies Ranked Worst to Best by Tomatometer, Link to RT25: Celebrating 25 Years of Rotten Tomatoes, Link to Prime Video Acquires J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves. While Andy gently teases Barney, an exasperated Floyd comes running out of the front door with a line that still slays me: "Maude, Al if those hamburgers are ruined, I won't be responsible! Enter the type and id of the record that this record is a duplicate of and confirm using The book, play, and first movie were about a nationally well known real-life 1952 prison escape of 3 male convicts and their invasion of a Pennsylvanian suburban home and kidnapping of the Hill family. Summary: Barney and Floyd run out of gas while coming home from a fishing trip. [Andy listens to the radio announcement on the women prisoners' escape from the state prison]. Big Maude decides that "Al" can fix that right now by phoning the Sheriff and saying he's spending the night with O'Malley at the cabin. In February 1964, she had a featured role as a nosy neighbor in "The Case of the Bountiful Beauty", season 7, episode 17 of Perry Mason. Aunt Bee: Frances Bavier. Through just a few lines of dialogue and body language, we quickly establish Big Maude is the ring leader. Fleet: Joseph Sirola. Barney: Don Knotts. With that, we see Barney behind the wheel of a sputtering car that has just run out of gas. This episode is my favorite of all 249 episodes of. as the girls jump him and take away his pistol.