Russell Killen: There is usually going to be conflict on decisions that are being made and you are never going to make everyone happy. The real estate market is a tough nut to crack. We attend Jefferson United Methodist Church. Let me help you make improvements in Ashe County. And those citizens need places to live and housing is a big issue here. Create a password that only you will remember. Your purchase was successful, and you are now logged in. Don't Threaten. I will work with the school board in any way that I can to help stop the challenges that the administration and teachers are facing that are not beneficial to the students. I will be a voice for the hardworking, struggling and disenfranchised people while also working to protect our natural environment. Additionally, there are many houses in the county that are either abandoned or being used for short-term vacation rentals. I am very deliberate to not get in the weeds on social media, opting instead for face-to-face interactions that form relationships and affect real change. Beth Sorrell(D) 1.2. I have been fortunate to manage to grow my business through all this and also hire more people to work. I know our county, our people and their needs. AsheAshe County Board of Commissioners 1.1. They should listen to the people and work hard to create a better place for everyone to make a living and reach their fullest potential. If someone has any questions, they can come to the meeting and state their concern or contact the administration department. 3. Ashe County, North Carolina, held elections for local offices in 2022. Click the links below to learn more: Click here to use Ballotpedia's sample ballot to find every election that Ballotpedia has on file for your address. = candidate completed the Ballotpedia Candidate Connection survey. Jim Cain: I was born on July 4, 1946, in Oakland, Calif., and grew up in and graduated from High School in Medford, Oregon. Discover More Everything the government does needs to be public knowledge unless for sensitive reasons, otherwise it would seem that an official or those officials have something to hide. Our schools should be a top priority for the Commission and parents and students shouldnt have to hold bake sales to pay for school supplies. Candidates for Ashe County Board of Commissioners answer questions ahead of election, Compiled By Bailey Little 5. I have been a North Carolina licensed auctioneer since 1987 and the owner and President of Mountain Auction Company Inc. I have always been involved in community affairs as a volunteer; starting as a firefighter in college, then rescue squads, civic organizations and have spent over 20 years volunteering with the Ashe County Sheriffs Office (most of those years as a full-time detective). These are: 1. 1. Russell Killen: We here in the county have homelessness and also need more affordable housing, along with making sure that all citizens have access to food. We'd love to hear eyewitness Jim Cain: As a longtime planner, one thing I would think we need to do is a total analysis, to the maximum extent possible to see how the county has done during the pandemic, in a variety of functional areas. Thats not to say that we couldnt leave room for innovative ideas, but we still need to know what projects are important to ensure we continue to keep Ashe County the best little corner of North Carolina.. Any and all decisions should be public knowledge to show that we are working for everyone to be glad they live here in beautiful Ashe County. Cost, longevity, having local companies complete the work for the project, length of the project, location of the project and the benefit to the local community will always be the forefront in my mind. As a result there is unforeseen pressure on the housing market that I dont think anybody could have predicted. I grew up in the Crumpler community of Ashe County. The county has the industrial park and has purchased more land to have site-ready locations for economic development. Pray for me as I strive to help we the people flourish and grow in the time ahead. 4. Have you tried to hire a plumber or electrician lately? As a Commissioner I would bring up for a vote, incentives for businesses who move here and employ the good people of Ashe County. 8. In being a commissioner, you are presented with many requests which you would need to review and sort out, but just because something cannot be funded at the time does not mean that it isnt important. First I worked as a senior consultant in their Federal Consulting Center, doing Business Process Reengineering for a variety of Defense Department agencies and then I was asked to become the New Business Developed for the Department of Interior and Agriculture, managing approximately $480 million a year. I would like to help keep Ashe County as the best place to live and raise children. Its true that some people dont make responsible decisions and save for tough times, but I believe that most people are working hard to support their families and still not able to pay the bills and provide a healthy, stress-free home for their families. Food insecurity, lack of decent, affordable housing, lack of healthcare and the struggle to make ends meet is far too common. 7. I also believe with criticism comes the opportunity to improve upon myself. If it contains any language other than that, I am certainly not on board with it. What qualifications make yo Lets use our scenery, fishing, canoeing and hiking to create opportunities for smaller, community owned businesses. In 2000, I moved to Ashe County and fell in love with the people and the place. If elected as your commissioner, the person or persons presenting their project will have to be well prepared. 1. 2. Democratic Elections Commissioner Edward McDonough, left, and Republican Elections Commissioner Jason Schofield, right, speak to poll workers in 2020. One priority would be to increase funding for our environmental services to protect the resources we have, enforce those protections and educate the community on how to take care of our land and water. But it doesnt matter how ready the site is without a sustainable workforce to staff a new business. The Bible says count the cost before you begin. With inflation on the rise and lumber prices at an all time high, it will be extremely difficult to have affordable housing until these things change. My name is Mike Eldreth and i am a lifelong resident of Ashe County and am married to Dianne Eldreth, who is a member of the Ashe County Board of Education. Email: steve.carter@alamance-nc.com Phone: 336-214-7606. Chuck Olive(R)Ashe County Clerk of Superior Court 1.1. The county seat is Jefferson . Continued development of Ashe County as a year-round tourist destination with the businesses and jobs tourism brings.The effects of ongoing climate change to our agricultural business in the County and planning for The New Normal if and when COVID-19 settles down a little. A: 1. Dec. 15: Brian Pittman is 56. I served as a county commissioner here 26 to 30 years ago and as my life is hopefully going to slow down some, I think with experience as a past commissioner and my knowledge of the unique characteristics of Ashe County, I can still be of service to my county. I also founded the Mighty Mite Basketball League where we stressed fundamentals and helped establish the Wee Wolves at Mountain View. Submitting this form below will send a message to your email with a link to change your password. This is the name that will be displayed next to your photo for comments, blog posts, and more. We need to give incentives to builders in the local population to build homes that the average person can afford. I previously served on the boards of directors of the Ashe County Free Medical Clinic, the Ashe County Chamber of Commerce, and the Ashe County Pregnancy Care Center. The public is welcome to contact any of the commissioners in regard to the actions that might take place. In the time that I have served on the Board of Commissioners we have made great efforts to be accessible and open to everyone in Ashe County. 8. Our county government should continue in making every effort to see this happen. I may have helped you or your family purchase or sell a house or property. If not, he or she is going to have a hard time convincing me to support that project. Continued problems with drug and alcohol abuse in portions of Ashe County. Since there is no countywide water and sewer system in place, outside of town well continue to be a one acre with well and septic tank place. But, housing costs have raised 17.7% in Ashe over the last year. About when one thought the House GOP could not handle any more scandals or politically dumb decisions, reporters revealed the House Ethics Committee had investigated state Rep. Scotty Campbell from Mountain City (the northeastern tip of Tennessee) for alleged sexual harassment of legislative employees. We need to give incentives to our schools to train and certify our youth in a career field before graduating high school. For natural growth and a base problem for the county is affordable Housing. Except for a few areas, all county activities are a matter of public record. This notice contains a list of all of the ballot measures and local offices this county expects, as of this date, to be on the ballot on the date of the election. Im driven to find solutions and solve problems so that everyone can have a better quality of life here. In delivering services, I would want to review the county functions that assure the basic needs of the citizens are being met such as food, water, warmth, and rest as well as safety and security. All the facts must be verified for disclosure when legally possible so all affected parties are fully aware of the circumstances surrounding the issue. Be Nice. Choose wisely! Our biggest problem for Ashe County Schools is that the Ashe County taxpayer has been on the hook in the past for $1.6 million dollars for blueprints for the middle school that never came to fruition. Former Sheriff J. J. Jones is 63. Beth Sorrell: The BOC does more than just decide how to spend the countys money, however this is the most important job and it is crucial to have community input on how our tax dollars are used. County Commission candidate Christine Cruz is 54. I would try to be understanding if they are in disagreement and would like for them to be clear with me what they do not like about the action that was or will be taken. Possibly some more family style restaurants, and obviously some additional tourist happenings whatever that might be. We have three children, one grandchild, and eight ninths of another grandchild on the way. I currently serve as the secretary on the board for Ashe, Alleghany, and Wilkes. Then, it would be good to find out from all that present this project, what the long-range effect might have on the county as a whole. I think to do that we need more hotel space. 5. He makes more an hour starting there than after nine years of driving our children to school. 7. I have been working hard to make Ashe County an even better place to live, work and raise our families; and I hope to continue with that same work ethic for the next four years. 4. I make myself available by phone or in person to meet with folks who have concerns and I have found that a friendly handshake and listening ear can quell almost any disagreement. Because we lack the curriculum or the ability to teach, train, and certify students in our high school for work after schooling, we have failed that generation and generations to come. I appreciate his leadership. I am a combat veteran of the Iraq War, serving three combat tours and achieving the highest rank for the enlisted force of Marines as a Sergeant Major/E9. ASHE COUNTY Six candidates are running for three open seats on the Ashe County Board of Commissioners one incumbent and five challengers. Your account has been registered, and you are now logged in. I know of one bus driver that works at Walmart after he delivers the students to school. WebVoter registration status (e.g., active, removed) and reason for status; voter demographics, party affiliation, and address; voter county, precinct, and district information (e.g., NC Senate and House, judicial); when applicable, county commissioner and additional local districts (e.g. Having survived 49 of those meetings makes me believe I wont have many problems to face. Since retiring, I have become a member of the Ashe County Chamber of Commerce, a graduate of Ashe Leadership, I participate on the Members Advisory Council for Blue Ridge Energy, and a member of the Ashe County Rotary Club. I believe that candidates are elected by the people, for the people and to conduct the peoples business at the will of the people. I was honored to represent our county in Raleigh for 8 years in the state House of Representatives. I am a proud enrolled member of the White Earth Band or Mississippi Band, Minnesota Chippewa Tribe, (Ojibway) Indians. If elected by the Ashe County voters, I plan to continue my record of Promises Made, Promises Kept, in local government as I did in the State House. My office is located in Jefferson, just around the corner from the courthouse. This is actually how a lot of projects begin. During this time I spent two years in Vietnam (1968-1969 and 1972-1973), two years with Chung Kai Shek in Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China and six months in Thailand. County Commissioner John Schoonmaker is 69. UT professor Mark Harmon, former county commissioner and WebCommissioners Meet Your Commissioners Our Commissioners are Chairman Todd McNeill, Vice Chair William Sands, Mike Eldreth, Jerry Powers, and Chuck Olive. It has also been my priority to support projects in all areas of the county. To view our latest e-Edition click the image on the left. 2. I want to be a county commissioner because I have the experience working with people to do some real good for the people of Ashe County. Look at requirements for lot size for building, what restrictions are on the manufactured homes, multi-family (duplex) homes, and apartment buildings. That also involved making policy decisions that caused change. I am running for Commissioner because I think it is my civic duty to give back to the community that has been so good to me. Were working with Wilkes Community College to tailor training to suit a potential employer. Ashe County has a unique set of attributes that brings many tourists to our county to the amazing amount of over $80 million dollars in the last year. Share with Us. I may have helped you or your family draw up your wills or business contracts. Pam W. Barlow(R)Ashe County Register of Deeds 1.1. Through my work with Ashe County Habitat for Humanity, Ive witnessed the urgent and enormous need for decent, affordable housing in Ashe County. Ashe County, right now, has 626 part-time jobs available. As many of the residents of Ashe know, I have assisted through my auctions free of charge to help many people in need because of health and or accident situations in which I have done with pride and no regrets. Vote for ONE. How would you handle that? I am applying for the job of Ashe County commissioner based on my record of service and achievement to the citizens of our great county. As a result of the pandemic, the people that were only visiting for a few weeks a year now have the option of working from home and are staying here longer. We have also expanded our industrial park in Beaver Creek. In January, former Rensselaer County Elections Commissioner Jason Schofield pleaded guilty to unlawfully using the names and dates of birth of voters to fraudulently While there, we built up several good-sized rainy day funds that have been critical in this pandemic. I think we should recruit quality corporate citizens that enhance the property tax base and offer meaningful employment opportunities. 6. Up for election are the following six candidates: Republican Jonathan Jordan, Republican Jerry D. Powers, incumbent Republican William Sands, Democrat James D. Cain Jr., Democrat Beth Sorrell and Democrat Russell M. Killen. I always will make to time to discuss any concerns someone may have. 3 of 11 4 of 11. Jerry Powers: With opportunity comes responsibilities, education, police protection, regulation that fosters a better community while not putting undue restrictions on those who are trying to build a better Ashe County. I am a member of Welcome Baptist Church in Crumpler, North Carolina. After high school I attended Wilkes Community College and Appalachian State University graduating with a degree in Public Relations. With climate change here now, we need to do a county or regional agricultural assessment to better prepare our farmers to continue our largest income producer for the county. Once a streamlined process is in place to educate and inform the public, initiate a builder and developers summit to recruit projects for affordable housing. People often get frustrated when they dont have correct information and base their opinions on rumors. WebCounty of ASHE 2022 PRIMARY Election Date: 03/08/2022 This is an official notice of an election to be conducted in Ashe County on 03/08/2022. Its the responsibility of the Board of Commissioners to fund the local portion of the Ashe County School system to ensure the taxpayers get the most for their tax dollars in order for the Board of Education to achieve performance standards. We need to teach our children what will help them to be able to compete with any school, whether in the USA or any other country. But most importantly, lending support to ensure we are producing a quality, well-educated student upon graduation is first on any strategic plan. GE, AEV, United Chemi-con and Leviton are the heavy hitters as far as employment goes here in Ashe. One top priority would be more affordable day care. I assure you, my wife, Dianne, keeps me up-to-date with education in Ashe County. Good local government works best with engagement and input from citizens. William Sands: As commissioner, in spending the taxpayers money, I have always tried to make wise decisions and justify spending with information I have at that time. I will try to understand all sides of the issue and learn as much as possible to make a decision that is best for the future of Ashe County. Growth comes from creating a career and knowing that one can provide for their family and grow with the company. I also do this with my personal spending. Choose wisely! I have served in the role of commissioner since January 2018. or anything. I have had a small law office here in Ashe County for many years. My wife Shannon is from Todd and we have three children and four grandchildren between us who all live here in the county. Ashe County needs a vision an overarching plan developed with input from all stakeholders that would guide future projects. I was honored to serve as Ashe County Commissioner in the past and would be honored to serve again. I now live in Grassy Creek with my wife Maggie and our five children; Henry, Libby Jean, Sarah Lane, Beau and Will. We should also continue to invest in our local healthcare, as I believe one critical service and need our rural area has is to keep a local healthcare provider. The wait is long because of the lack of skilled labor in these areas. A project proposal always comes with a lot of promises, fancy wording and should be for the betterment of the community. We should work in keeping morale high. My children have gone to school here in Ashe for many years it means a lot me. Personally, I would begin a Change Management Plan because whatever the new normal is or will be, change is inevitable and with analysis of those plans the commissioners should get a good idea of how and in what areas they need to or can help the county rebound. If someone offered a project proposal to the board of commissioners, how would you evaluate whether the project was worth funding? Russell Killen: As stated, I am not running with an agenda. WebElected Officials Hardin County Election Commission Elected Officials Hardin County, TN Elected Officials Misc. How would you encourage employment and economic development in Ashe County? Once the trust is lost, it could become years before trust is reestablished. Its our job that our citizens get the fair share of the opportunities available through the state budget and available statewide programs. In your view, what is the boards role as a whole?Jonathan Jordan: Ashe County commissioners are our elected board of directors for our county government. Democrat Beth Sorrell will not face any additional primary challengers. I put my name in for consideration and was appointed. Habitat for Humanity may be a source for home buyers and a program that the county government can converse with. I am running to hopefully be an asset in helping with the decisions involving the citizens of Ashe County as a whole, not just a few. When I manage other peoples money there is no such thing as fraud, waste or abuse. I served eight years in Raleigh representing our area in the State House, where I was a strong advocate for all our citizens. We need a program that makes parents responsible for the development of their children. I finished my career here and retired in 2014. I have the tested training, skills and experience to do exactly that. Affordable housing and child care facilities rank among the highest of concerns from discussions I have had with citizens that would warrant a close review of what type of funding in which department would be needed to address those topics. As we all know our children are our future, these programs must receive any help we can give. While everything increases in price through inflation Housing prices and availability needs some additional study and help. We may need to increase resources to law enforcement. I am not a fan at all for raising taxes on the county property owners because of the failed attempt in the past for the new middle school. What would you say your role would be as a member of the Ashe County Board of Commissioners? Beth Sorrell: After working and volunteering in many places and differing capacities Ive learned how to work with people from all walks of life and more importantly, how to listen. Invalid password or account does not exist. Jim Cain: I dont like to brag but while I worked for the Bureau of Indian Affairs, I was, as one of my duties, the Chief Financial Officer for the BIA, managing all aspects of Finance for a $3.5 Billion a year budget for 623 tribes with requirements decided at seven regional budget meetings a year. I know we need a safe county, and there I support back the blue. Also, when we think along those lines we need never forget our fire and rescue squads.