If your kitty generally tolerates Revolution Plus well, then even if he or she is at the low end of the dosage range, this is what you want to use. I will check with my local vet. They were told they couldn't bring the cat in (for an ear infection) unless they agreed to a full set of vaccinations (on a cat with an ear infection, no less). Pricing It goes without saying, but since Revolution Plus happens to be the advanced and upgraded version of Revolution, it costs slightly higher than Revolution. .medication-table .table-row .item{ 1. So they were due for a dose last week, but I dont have anything marked on the calendar, and I cant remember whether I actually gave them their dose. The 2017 article Perception vs. If not so, the combination should be avoided. Do not apply to broken skin or if hair coat is wet. Profender is a topical deworming medication that's prescribed by veterinarians to control and treat hookworms, roundworms, and tapeworms in our feline companions. So Im wondering, given that its March and were having weird weather ranging from the 20s all the way up to the 50s (Farenheit), whether it would be better to assume I didnt dose them last week and give it to them now, or wait until next month. Reality: Insecticide Resistance in Fleas from DVM360 that refers to an article published in American Veterinarian that same year addresses this topic. Three cats vomited within 24 hours of dosing, one each in vehicle control, 3X and 5X groups. As far as intestinal parasites go, it is best for especially any outdoor kitty to be on a product regularly that can prevent them. It should be applied year round or at least within one month after your cats first exposure to mosquitoes and monthly thereafter until the end of the mosquito season. It is also always advisable if you have a pup and kitty who like to hang out together or groom each other, to separate them for 24 hours after applying a topical product to your dog, especially if the product contains permethrin. In field studies where re-infestation was possible Revolution eliminated 100% of ear mites in cats. If this was a recent application, it can help to use warm water and dish soap (like Dawn) to gently clean the area and remove any residue on the skin. Revolution Plus is approved for use in cats and kittens 8 weeks of age and older. The recommended minimum dose is 1.36 mg/lb (3 mg/kg) emodepside + 5.45 mg/lb (12 mg/kg) praziquantel as a single topical dose. Buy Heartgard Plus at Lowest Price | Free Shipping! Each time you make a purchase through one of our independently-chosen links, well receive a percentage of the proceeds. .medication-table{ a dose of Revolution applied directly onto the skin. $14.31. Packages should be stored below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C). Clinical signs included salivation (one 1X and three 5X cats), labored breathing (all groups) and lethargy (one 5X cat). These signs were self-limiting. That and I didnt know it was raining when he went outside with his fresh dose on. PROFENDER Topical Solution may be irritating to skin and eyes. Avoid contact between the product and your fingers, Bathing or shampooing the cat two or more hours after treatment will NOT reduce the efficacy. The educational cat health content on Cats.com is written by or reviewed by our team of veterinary experts to ensure that its in line with the latest evidence-based veterinary information and health guidelines. .medication-table h2{ In intestinal worms as well, the chemical disrupts the nerve signals thereby killing the worms and eliminating them from the intestinal tract. Needless to say, if your kitty had a bad skin reaction like this and is very sensitive to it, Revolution Plus is likely not an appropriate product to continue using for him. Breed: DSH. I just read I should have waited 2 -3 days. 1 answer Answered by David Elbeze, DVM, MRCVS Veterinarian Seresto contains the same active ingredient as advantage, for this reason it's not recommended to use them at the same time. Bathing shortly before application may also reduce its effectiveness. Using a dose range that is too low carries the risk of not being effective. Directions for Use: Revolution for dogs is applied to the skin on the back at the base of the dog's neck once a month.Remove the Revolution tube from its protective package.Holding the Revolution tube upright, firmly depress the cap to puncture the applicator seal, then remove the cap.Apply the Revolution contents in one spot and do not massage in. Wait for a minimum of 2 hours before shampooing your pet or getting him wet. Federal law (U.S.A.) restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian. I applied Profender at the same time as . Part the hair on the back of the cats neck at the base of the head, until the skin is visible. .medication-table h2{ font-size: 14px; Profender (emodepside/praziquantel) Topical Solution Indications, Warnings and cautions for Profender (emodepside/praziquantel) Topical Solution, Direction and dosage information for Profender (emodepside/praziquantel) Topical Solution. In a small minority of pets, this can cause hypertension, which can lead to stroke or heart attach. Revolution Plus is the newest incarnation of Revolution, a product that has been used for cats for many years and is generally a safe and effective product when used properly. The main reason for this is that some pets can be at a higher risk of a reaction for some products if the product is given or applied while the pet has an active heartworm infection. An MRI can be an important part of working up a seizure disorder to look for structural abnormalities in the brain, but they tend to be expensive, so not often pursued. Revolution Plus is also safe to use in dogs over 8 weeks of age, but the safe use of this product on pregnant, lactating, and breeding dogs has not yet been evaluated. Because first of all, the solution is topical and quick drying and works for a complete 30 days. While Revolution Plus topical solution is considered to be waterproof within two hours of application, the manufacturer still recommends waiting 24 hours to bathe your kitty after application. If so, it's the most common cause of persistent vomiting in cats. It is relatively expensive compared to other dewormers, but is one of our best treatment options for Giardia. Reasons Why Cats Socially Groom, Why Do Cats Pee on Things? Messages. Science Has an Answer, Pneumothorax In Cats (Cat Collapsed Lung), Treats and controls two intestinal parasites (roundworms and hookworms), Treats and controls ear mite infestations, Prevents infection with mosquito-borne heartworms. This educational content is not veterinary advice and does not replace consultation with a qualified veterinarian. The second drug is selamectin, providing your flea and heartworm protection. In certain parasitic worms like roundworms and in arthropods like fleas, GABA inhibits nerve conduction. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Cats.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Thank you for sharing this. Prescription Required? Thanks! The difference is our packets are marked in Kgs where your vets may be marked in lbs. View all posts by Dr. Chris Vanderhoof, DVM, MPH, Proviable For Cats: Overview, Dosage & Side Effects, Tramadol For Cats: Overview, Dosage & Side Effects, 7 Common Cat Vocalizations And What They Mean, Why Do Cats Groom Each Other? Just one application of easy-to-use Profender allows you to confidently treat and control tapeworms, roundworms and hookworms. In case you have a pup and kitty who like to hang out together or especially groom each other, the best practice is to separate them for 24 hours after applying a topical product to your dog. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Cats.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. To get a lethal dose of selamectin or sarolaner, the parasites dont have to bite a treated cat; simply coming in contact with the skin is enough. Similarly, Advantage Multi shouldnt be combined with Revolution and other preventatives except for Capstar or the Preventic collar. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Prescription Required? } Top 5 Reasons Explained, How To Stop Cats From Scratching Furniture, Why Do Cats Pee on Things? Another cat exhibited tremors and lethargy. 2 of my 4 cats were so sick i thought they were going to die. Consider holding off on another dose and first confirm what types of intestinal worms youre seeing, as Revolution Plus can only kill certain ones, roundworms and hookworms. How to I fix this issue? Now press the cap down firmly to puncture the seal of the tube. 192. Anthelmintics are used to kill or expel parasitic worms from the body. It is very rare that your cat will have any side effects due to Revolution. While holding the tube in an upright position, remove the cap from the tube. Thanks! Unlike regular Revolution, Revolution Plus contains the added ingredient sarolaner, which adds to its spectrum against ticks. If re-infection occurs, the product can be re-applied after 30 days. For more information, please see our align-items: center; You may see discoloration, powdery residue or stiff hair at the site of application. Yes, the Revolution we sell is the same product as you would buy from your vet. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? In a laboratory study, cats artificially infected with adult heartworms and treated with PROFENDER Topical Solution had fewer worms recovered than the placebo control group. Are there symptoms I should be looking for? text-align: center; Im thinking I probably didnt (I can remember thinking I needed to remember to do it, but I cant remember actually doing it!) Stiff hair, a damp appearance of the hair, or a slight powdery residue may be observed at the treatment site. .cliverse-medication-title{ The easiest way to lookup drug information, identify pills, check interactions and set up your own personal medication records. While Revolution has slower kill times for fleas and ticks compared to other topical products like Frontline Plus and Advantage II, the ingredients in Revolution Plus make it one of the best all-around products for cats, with the best broad spectrum of coverage targeting fleas, ticks, heartworm, and intestinal parasites. The question of flea resistance to products like Revolution Plus and the idea that they dont work comes up often. It appears to burn him. Why so? The formulation and dosage schedule is designed to provide a minimum of 3 mg of emodepside and 12 mg of praziquantel . padding: 10px; He completed a rotating internship with Red Bank Veterinary Hospital in New Jersey and now works as a general practitioner in the Washington D.C. area. Oral exposure can cause salivation and vomiting. } The effectiveness of this product when used before bathing has not been evaluated. color: #fcb040!important; Use of this site is subject to our terms of use and privacy policy. .cliverse-medication-title .logo{ By enhancing GABA release, selamectin essentially causes paralysis and death of the parasites it targets. An entomology (bug science) professor from the University of California heavily investigated this question and concluded that while resistance has been seen to some flea treatment or prevention products, true chemical resistance in fleas with fipronil, imidacloprid, and some other newer products on the market has not yet been demonstrated. Use of Revolution Plus should be considered carefully in cats with any history of neurologic illness. Revolution Plus is a topical flea and ticks medication for cats and dogs that's proven effective for killing fleas, flea eggs and larvae while also eliminating heartworms. Revolution Plus spot-on product is a monthly topical solution applied to a small target area or spot of the skin, usually in front of the shoulders at the back of the neck. These effects are temporary and do not affect the safety or effectiveness of the product. Using Revolution and Frontline on DOGS Together. Why should I care about ticks? 2023 BestVetCare.com - All Rights Reserved, 2019s Trendiest Dogs Gadgets For Tech-Savvy Pet Parents, Tweets by @https://twitter.com/BestVetCareUS, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL5MdsApt3k, Benefits of Purchasing from Online Pet Store. Revolution Plus kills three common tick species (American dog tick, black-legged/deer tick, and Gulf Coast tick). Revolution Plus is typically applied every 30 days for the best protection. Xrays my vet can find nothing wrong. The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) provides additional occupational safety information. Hi .medication-table .table-row .item{ We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information. Selamectin is a topical avermectin antiparasiticide. Updated: 2023-02-28. Topical solution: up to 5 pounds (mauve packaging, 15 mg/tube), 5.1 to 15 pounds (blue packaging, 45 mg/tube), 15.1 22 pounds (taupe packaging, 60 mg/tube). In a total of 13 controlled laboratory studies to establish effectiveness, 149cats were treated with PROFENDER Topical Solution. Thanks for your question. They eliminate fleas and flea eggs with ease and prevent future flea infestations for one full month. Safe use of Revolution Plus or any topical product for your kitty means always following all instructions on the packaging. Profender Cat Dewormer is packaged in single unit dosing applicator tubes and is available as 0.35 ml tubes . An entomology (bug science) professor from the University of California heavily investigated this question and concluded that while resistance has been seen to some flea treatment or prevention products, true chemical resistance in fleas with fipronil, imidacloprid, and some other newer products on the market has not yet been demonstrated. Pfizer is the company that makes Revolution for Cats. can you use profender and revolution at the same time. Best of luck. Part the hair on the back at the base of the neck in front of the shoulder blades until the skin is visible. Revolution I have a 5 cat household. .medication-table .table-row .item{ Common Names: The tape worms are picked up from eating fleas or mice usually. Foreign Market Experience: The following adverse events were reported voluntarily during post-approval use of the product in foreign markets: application site reaction (hair loss, dermatitis, pyoderma, edema, and erythema), salivation, pruritus, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, ataxia, loss of appetite, facial swelling, rear leg paresis, seizures, hyperesthesia, twitching, and death. Dystocia In Cats: Clinical Signs & Treatment, How Intelligent Are Cats? However, this reportedly affects only 4% of cats, so is very rare. According to the manufacturer, when newly applied, Revolution Plus can start killing fleas within 12 hours, with a majority killed within 24 hours. No hair loss was documented with Revolution Plus, which had previously been documented with regular Revolution. Revolution Plus for cats has the same spectrum of coverage above, but the addition of sarolaner provides for the treatment and control of tick infestations caused by the black-legged/deer tick, Gulf Coast tick, and American dog tick. border-bottom: 1px solid #ccc; As long as it was still applied in the correct location at the base of the head/neck and your kitty cannot lick it off, there is little risk of him getting sick from the medication. and our Your email address will not be published. Over 90% of the three ticks it targets were effectively killed on cats over a 60-day period of study, with the black-legged tick being killed within 24 hours. Information contained on this site pertains only to the United States of America, and is not intended to provide adequate information for product use. Of those, 606 received a single treatment with PROFENDER Topical Solution. While the use of the drug did not appear to be the direct cause of death, treatment with the drug cannot be ruled out as a contributing factor (See PRECAUTIONS). .table-footer{ @media screen and (max-width:1024px) { Vet consultation is the prime advice to all. Topical solution: up to 5 pounds (mauve packaging, 15 mg/tube), 5.1 to 15 pounds (blue packaging, 45 mg/tube), 15.1 22 pounds (taupe packaging, 60 mg/tube) And is there a triple wormer to address all in one pill? General Safety Study in Kittens: PROFENDER Topical Solution was topically applied at 0X (vehicle control), 1X, 3X and 5X the maximum dose to 48 healthy 8-week-old kittens every two weeks for six doses. } Revolution can be used on kittens as young as 6 weeks of age. } 2. If he did go out in the rain within 24 hours of application though, there is a good chance much of the Revolution will be washed off, especially if most of it is in the fur. Dr. Vanderhoof is also a copywriter specializing in the animal health field and founder of Paramount Animal Health Writing Solutions, which can be found at www.animalhealthco on Revolution For Cats: Dosage, Safety & Side Effects, I am completely satisfied, I found useful information and tips in this article, Article was somewhat helpful, but could be improved. .cliverse-medication-title{ Treats: Tapeworms, roundworms, hookworms. For medical emergencies or to report an adverse reaction, call 1-800-422-9874. Dr. Vanderhoof is also a copywriter specializing in the animal health field and founder of Paramount Animal Health Writing Solutions, which can be found at www.animalhealthcopywriter.com. 245 views, 7 likes, 0 loves, 2 comments, 1 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from World funny video : Douglas Macgregor: A Huge Offensive Destroy The Lines. In the field study conducted at 13veterinary clinics/hospitals, 837 purebred or crossbred cats from single and multi-cat households were enrolled to evaluate safety and effectiveness under field conditions of use. Which Personality Type Does Your Cat Have? For additional information about adverse drug experience reporting for animal drugs, contact FDA at 1-888-FDA-VETS or online at http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth. Sarolaner allows for Revolution Plus to have a better spectrum of activity against ticks. Reactions such as facial, tongue and hand swelling have been reported in humans in rare instances. While not labeled for it, Revolution has also been successful in treating for the sarcoptic mange mite that causes scabies. *Reinfection due to exposure may require repeat dosing. However, these occur in rare cases and . .medication-table .table-row .item{ Not all adverse events are reported to FDA CVM. I took in a stray cat and have used revolution plus for the past four months. Bayer, the Bayer Cross and Profender are registered trademarks of Bayer. font-weight: 700; Emodepside, a semi-synthetic molecule, is a cyclic depsipeptide. (See Table below.). Providing milk or liquid from a tuna can help resolve the signs in short order. In a couple of studies, Revolution Plus was found to kill fleas before they could lay eggs, preventing further infestations from starting if the product is used consistently. He completed a rotating internship with Red Bank Veterinary Hospital in New Jersey and now works as a general practitioner in the Washington D.C. area. She has never had it before so I want to make sure to minimize the risk of any adverse reaction, but I am also leaving for two weeks soon so I'd rather be here to monitor here. Science Has an Answer, Pneumothorax In Cats (Cat Collapsed Lung). He holds his tail away from his body and he generally looks like he doesnt feel well. Oral ingestion or exposure should be avoided. All flea/tick preventatives should be thought of as medication and their dosage ranges need to be followed closely. To report suspected adverse events and/or to obtain a copy of the MSDS or for technical assistance, call Bayer Animal Health at 1-800-633-3796. margin-bottom: 20px; @media screen and (max-width:480px) { Hi Phylis, Im sorry to hear youre seeing these signs in your kitty. Laboratory effectiveness studies: One cat died 10 days after receiving PROFENDER Topical Solution. If you notice fleas coming back before the month is up, it is a good idea to treat again. All heartworm preventatives for pets require a prescription. } I hope thats helpful to you. Thank you Doc for your comforting advice it means alot to my little friend and myself. When already applied prior to flea exposure, Revolution can start killing fleas within six hours, with a majority killed at 12 hours. But just to be safe, when selecting a flea/tick product for your kitty, always make sure the product includes a picture of a cat and indicates the product is specifically for cats. Heartgard is a go-to option if one is looking to combine a heartworm preventatives with flea or tick treatments. Using the Profender topical solution may cause a few adverse reactions in cats, including scratching the application site, too much licking, lethargy, drooling or foaming at the mouth, loss of hair, vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory and eye irritation, tremors, and nervousness [6, 9]. Cookie Notice One 5X kitten experienced salivation and tremors and another 5X kitten experienced salivation on the day of dosing. It is not always possible to reliably estimate the adverse event frequency or establish a casual relationship to product exposure using this data. Safety Study in Heartworm Positive Cats: Cats artificially infected with adult heartworms harvested from dogs were treated topically with PROFENDER Topical Solution at 0X, 1X or 5X the recommended dose once a month for three treatments. Do not touch your eyes if the solution spilled on your fingers. 4. Sometimes, tapeworm segments can be seen around a cats bottom, but if there is recent flea exposure within the last couple of weeks, its not wrong to treat for them too. font-size: 24px; Once the seal is open, place the tip on the visible skin. I have a serious concern. 2023 This website is owned and operated by Cliverse Media DAO LTD. Cats and kittens 8 weeks of age and older. I cannot buy single tubes for his weight. Studies performed in rats and rabbits suggest that emodepside may interfere with fetal development in those species. Revolution lasts for a full month. According to the manufacturer, when newly applied, Revolution can start killing fleas within 12 hours with a majority killed within 24 hours. This is an idiopathic (unknown cause) inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract but thought to be immune mediated. Dr. Chris Vanderhoof is a 2013 graduate of the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine (VMCVM) at Virginia Tech, where he also earned a Masters in Public Health. Should I be worried of making my little guy sick. flex-basis: 50%; Revolution also eliminates 98% of fleas within 36 hours and gives 100% protection from fleas . THIS SERVICE AND DATA ARE PROVIDED "AS IS". padding: 10px; Their weight varies. If re-infection occurs, the product can be re-applied after 30 days. If your cat has had a tendency to fluctuate under 11.1 lb, I would make sure to check with your vet and see what they think would be best. The safety of concurrent use of fluralaner and a commercially available emodepsid-praziquantel combination topical solution was investigated using topical administrations at the maximum recommended dose rates. .cliverse-medication-title{ Minimum Age Limit. .cliverse-medication-title .logo{ Topical solution: up to 5lb (mauve packaging, 15mg/tube), 5.1-15lb (blue packaging, 45mg/tube), 15.1-22lb (taupe packaging, 60mg/tube). But if you are not comfortable with that, keep a close eye for fleas and ticks over the next month. Panacur must be given for 3 consecutive days to treat whipworms, and 5 to treat Giardia. How long should I wait before applying Revolution? The manufacturer does indicate that combination doses are acceptable. Revolution Plus vials have a cap that first needs to be pushed down into the vial to puncture it. In all honesty, I would use the Revolution monthly and only use the Profender if you physically saw rice like segments around the rectum or on the stools. Make her stand in a comfortable position. Products should be used before the expiration on the package. Products like Revolution are very bitter tasting, so if a kitty were to lick a recently applied product off either themselves or a housemate, the bitter taste alone can lead to excessive drooling, agitation, and sometimes even vomiting. Other signs seen in less than 0.5% of cats included digestive upset, poor appetite, drooling, an abnormally increased breathing rate, and muscle tremors. One-time purchase. box-sizing: border-box; The combination has shown successful results of flea and tick prevention, esp., tick prevention. Clinical signs: She seems to have managed to reach a small portion of the Profender and while acting completely normal, she did have some diarrhea today. font-size: 20px!important; The main reason for this is that some pets can be at a higher risk of a reaction for some products if the product is given or applied while the pet has an active heartworm infection. Advocate) and a worming tablet (e.g. Capstar or Comfortis can be combined individually with a variety of flea and tick treatments, viz., Frontline Plus, Revolution, Advantage Multi, etc. If youre seeing worms resembling pieces of rice, using another dose of Revolution Plus will not help. Profender works by using the time-tested active ingredient praziquantel and a unique compound called emodepside to eradicate intestinal parasites. Revolution can be safely used on breeding and nursing cats. } border-bottom: 3px solid #fcb040; I wish I could get you a better anwswer, but heres really not much more you can do other than to have the correct dose ranges. All calculations are done for you on the site so you know what size Revolution to order. The chemical name is 2-Cyclohexylcarbonyl-1,2,3,6,7,11b-hexahydro-4H-pyrazine-2,1-a-isoquinoline-4-one.