Exercises and Examples : https://rehanhanar.blogspot.com/Full Playlist : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9XlKe0-yMKkXmvfDGtmhUQEhofpW9dVXDO DONATE US. 2. If youre in a smaller town in France especially, its always worth checking with hotels or shop owners if they accept foreign modes of transaction. To illustrate what I mean, imagine that someone asks you, in English, haven't you been to Paris?. This is a much more polite term of address, and expected when you havent gotten to know someone well yet. A great line for engaging the chipper shop girl, practicing your French and finding gifts for the folks back home. ), Combien a cote ? It also helps youbuild on your listening comprehension skills in a strategic way, by prioritizing context clues first and then giving you the space to fill in holes and build your vocabulary. Literally, these questions mean what do you call yourself?. Hello, my name is Robert. O sont les toilettes means where are the toilets?. la vtre ! Vous me manquez dj ! Do you need a wake-up call by telephone? Je mappelle Lisa. Whats new? L'agence de Voyage Client: Voici mon carte de credit. Another way to say this is pourriez-vous rpter, sil vous plat? Could you repeat, please?. FluentU is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. When you're ready, say nous voudrions commander maintenant we'd like to order now.. ), VOUS: Oh, je pense que non. Its a colloquial alternative to nous (we). Ma mre est franaise et mon pre vient de Core. Jaime regarder le foot. Je vous prsente (lit. The four cardinal directions in French are nord (north), sud (south), est (east) and ouest (west). Quest-ce que tu tudies ? What do your brother and sister do? Since you two are still getting to know each other, you start talking about family in French. I'm your tour guide. ), MARIE: As-tu des frres et des surs ? If there are a group of you, replace ma photo (my photo) with notre photo (our photo). This is another way of saying This is [my] when you want to introduce two people to each other. 108 French Travel Phrases for a Smooth Trip to France, Oui ! ), VOUS: Jai un passeport amricain. While situations like these are incredible if youre a learner, they can also be very intimidating. And for dinner, what would you like? Le poulet cordon bleu tait dlicieux. Youre practicing how to introduce yourself, after all. So whether you're planning to travel to Paris for a week or move to Saint-Louis-du-Ha! With the numbers 80 to 89, combine the number 4, the number 20, and the ones. ), VOUS: Oui. (I have a younger brother and an older sister. Practicing with a French conversation script allows you to become familiar with certain key words or phrases that youll need in the real world. (What instrument? In this scenario, youve just been seated at your table with your new friend Marie, who you met at your hotel. ), On sinstalle l-bas ? (Thank you for your patience. (Yes. Download: Youll likely benefit from some further directional guidance while traveling around France. This provides a fantastic opportunity to travel, practice French and make money all at the same time. ), Je voudrais payer en liquide/espces. (Okay. The French take manners very seriously, and if youre meeting someone for the first time, or talking to a stranger, its important that you address them in the right way. (What is the special of the day? For more options, youll want to explore Lonely Planetto see whats available. DIALOGUES WRITING - BETWEEN TOURISTS AND GUIDES - English Study Material. ), VOUS: Le professeur travaillera le weekend ? Oui. ), VOUS: Merci, monsieur. If you They aren't very common in France and if you do find one, you'll probably have to pay to use it. (Yes, thank you. Ah, quelle belle glise ! (Yes. Siska : Okay guys. Gaido: Hai, Kassandra san. Contents. Bonjour. Full disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Just getting to France may seem like a dream come true, but unless you have some idea of how you want to spend your time, it can pass you by in a haze. Vous pouvez laisser les autres articles ici. (Of course. Jai une fivre, un mal de tte et des frissons. (Can I have a metro map, please?). (I am an only child. Est-ce que tu vis avec une autre personne ? Merci pour les renseignements. For strangers, figures of authority or your elders, you must usevous (you). Use this phrase when youre first starting a conversation, or want to continue talking to someone in French. Learning French becomes fun and easy when you learn with movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. ), SERVEUR: Avez-vous apprci vos repas ? What are the most important words and phrases for beginners to know? Addressing someone by the equivalent of sir or madam in French is generally expected, so if in doubt, err on the side of being over-politethe person taking your photo is much more likely to accept your request! (It costs 7 euros, but I will give it to you for free.). End of the free exercise to learn French: Dialogue : A visitor from abroad. One example of an immersion program based on authentic French videos is FluentU. ), GRARD: Ma famille vient de la Cte dIvoire. Note that in France, the 24-hour clock is often used, especially in a formal situation. (Thank you. Now that you've read the conversation and compared the French to the English, try listening to the dialogue between the receptionist and the student. (Go down the alley to the left of the post office. Non, je vis tout seul. la tienne ! If that's the case, say que veut dire X? What does X mean?, You can also phrase this as a veut dire quoi? What does that mean?. Je voudrais postuler ce poste. In touristy zones, natives are used to being asked to take photos, but if youre going to do it, its especially nice to be able to inquire in French. Le professeur travaillera chaque matin de 9h 11h30. Dialogue [129] Easy To Pass [6] Electrical [42] Email [46] Essay [44] Exam Strategy [10] Grammar [33] Graph N Chart [33] Letter [151] Est-ce que vous pourriez prendre ma photo, sil vous plat ? Uploaded by Ngan Ha. Enchante, Robert. (I play the violin.). Many North American cards dont have chip-and-pin security, and some stores in France dont have magnetic strip readers. You can do the same with the interactive subtitles at any point during the video, and pull up a contextual definition, example sentences and even other videos where the word is used. When youre talking about jobs in French, remember that you dont need the word un or une (a/an). You can also just say sant ! But you can also ask for a menu, which is usually called a fixed-price menu in English. France is famous for its food, so while you're there, you'll probably want to dine in a restaurant or two! ), SERVEUR: Cest un coq au vin. (How are you? Unlike restaurants in the United States, its not customary for servers or wait staff at a restaurant to constantly check in on you and your fellow diners. Each dialogue has an audio recording, a French transcript and an English translation, so following the three-step program is still possible at this advanced level of French. Fun fact: The word avocat also means avocado, so keep in mind that the meaning of this word will depend heavily on context. English speaking: Information for tourists and visitors. While using the words gauche (left) and droite (right) are common ways to give directions in French, cardinal directions are normally used for longer distances. Although Ive just given you lots of helpful, common French travel phrases, its always good to be ready for any eventuality, and a phrasebook will act as a great backup. Here, Ill provide 10 simple, sample French conversation scripts, along with resources so you can find more on your own. Here are some French phrases for travelers to build off ofo est.. Avez-vous besoin du service de rveil automatique par tlphone ? (My dad is also a doctor. Est-ce quil y a un lave-vaisselle dans la cuisine ? Just get a stranger's attention (remember what phrase would you use to do this?) Que font tes parents ? A more casual way to greet people is salut, which can mean either hi! or bye!. (Yes. French dialogues are an excellent tool to improve your French skills or even learn French from scratch. You can get a head start on polite conversation for practical, everyday matters with ed2gos Beginning Conversational French course. Bisous/Bises ! When dining out in any language, there are usually a few subtleties around how to order. It is also a recognized soft power asset abroad, and France has been the world's leading tourist destination for years. Et toi ? Its also acceptable in nearly any restaurant to use on instead of nous for we, as I mentioned earlier: On voudrait commander maintenant. (Hello. After receiving the carte or the menu, and perhaps informing the waiter of your dietary restrictions, you may be given some time to make a decision. We also participate in other affiliate advertising programs for products and services we believe in. You can further your studies by taking the quizzes that follow each video. (We will have a chocolate souffl to share.). I would need your CV, please.). Read dialogue out loud. (I am glad/delighted to meet you.) Bien sr. RCEPTIONNISTE(RECEPTIONIST): Est-ce que je pourrais vous aider ? While its essentially the same as a resume, there are some meaningful differences, so make sure to master writing a CV in French before applying to jobs. ), GRARD: Non, mais il y a un lave-linge pour mes vtements. Voici la cl. Je resterai trois nuits. Each dialogue is presented in clear audio and there are French transcripts and English translations under each French sentence. Akihabara wa, koko s j-nen de Akihabara to yoba re, Akihabara chiku wa nihon'noanime, manga, bideogmu no otaku bunka no chshinchi to shite fuj shimashita. This is a more casual way of introducing yourself. If possible, act out the scenario with a partner, whether thats someone who speaks French or is a learner like you. While there are no comprehension activities, theres enough advanced French gold to make your newly acquired vocabulary shine! Est-ce que le poste est temps complet ou temps partiel ? Although if you want to use a public toilet, you could be searching for a long time. Use it wisely! These sites are key places to go to keep the conversations going and, if youre creative, give you ideas for your own practice scenarios. Je suis enfant unique. These phrases will come in handy. Guide : Hello,mam.I'm your tour guide.let's begin! Combien est le salaire ? Benny believes the best approach to language learning is to speak from day one. (No. You can also say s'il te plat. (No, I live alone. Traveling to France is a thrilling and eye-opening experience. Fluent in 3 Months Courses: Check out our courses and guides to learn the Fluent in 3 Months method. Ideally, youll now remember how to buy European fruits and vegetables like a natural. In fact, when asking for something in French e.g. and ask o est X Where is X?. Est-ce quil y a une baignoire dans la salle de bain ? VOUS: Bonjour. Learning Hubs: Your fast track to speaking a new language. The serveur (server, waiter) approaches and is ready to take your orders. These are language learning programs based on exposing learners to real French content. Do you mean yes, I have been to Paris contrary to your assertion or yes, you're correct: I haven't been to Paris? Ah, oui. FluentU teaches French through authentic videos with learning tools attached to them. ), VOUS: Non, mais jai le nez bouch. Tourist: I have a question actually. ), VOUS: Merci. Une table pour 4, sil vous plat. Whichever option you choose, inform the serveur/serveuse (waiter/waitress) by saying la carte/le menu, sil vous plat the menu/fixed-price menu, please.. One way to find this out is to ask quelle heure est-ce quil faut rgler la note? What time must we check out?, Another similar expression is: quelle est l'heure limite d'occupation? (Lit: What is the occupancy cut-off time?. Il y a une cuisine, un petit salon, une salle de bain et deux chambres. Je mintresse au poste de professeur danglais. . All Rights Reserved. GRARD: Do viens-tu ? The second bedroom is a home office. This is the polite way of saying how are you? in French. We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe. You can leave the other items here. ), TU: Cest combien le loyer ? This blog post is available as a convenient and portable PDF that you Now that you've found the guichet, you probably want to buy a billet a ticket. I would like a room. Avez-vous de lexprience dans lenseignement de langlais ? Shes currently a student at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. (That is a relief. Better yet, say a full sentence: Pourriez-vous parler plus lentement, sil vous plat? Can you speak more slowly, please?. (Yes. I am half French, half Korean, but we live in Switzerland. (Do you have brothers and sisters? Be polite but firm when someone tries to speak English with you tell them Je voudrais parler franais I'd like to speak French.. There are also flashcards and quizzes to make sure you remember all the words youve learned. The teacher will work each morning from 9 am to 11:30 am. ), RCEPTIONNISTE: Le salaire est de 200 euros par semaine. TIC : How long have you been here ? There are loads of French house vocabulary words depending on the type of place a person lives in, so make sure to check them all out. There are also French phrases to know in case of emergency. ), VOUS: Et aprs le bureau de poste ? Unfortunately, lifes not a movie. Two essential words to learn in any language are yes and no. Voici mon appartement. Oui. When talking to a person, say je t'aime. En plat principal, je voudrais le poulet cordon bleu. Bon apptit! ), RCEPTIONNISTE: Le petit djeuner est de 7h 10h30. Jeannette Zeuner. Elle est la grande place. ), La carte des vins, sil vous plat. Use dialogue tags sparingly. There's no shame in being a beginner! Or maybe after you get home, you'll want to use your newfound French skills to woo that special someone. Stage your characters. Puis-je avoir un plan du mtro, sil vous plat ? Continuez tout droit sur 300 mtres jusquau pont. Just say pardon, sorry, and all will be forgiven. . Home Articles 60+ Essential French Phrases for Beginners to Start Speaking Now. Je voudrais ouvrir un compte. In this easy French conversation guide, you'll learn: How to introduce yourself How to ask about plans and much more Yes! (what time does it open?). Each one has the works: a full French transcript, English translation and French audio. Bonne journe ! (No problem. Youve decided to dine together, and you two have looked at the menu. Quest-ce qui ne va pas ? What are the most common phrases in French? Tourist Oh hi wira.Is it your name?because my friend told me like that. Product reviews: Get our take on the resources for learning a language. Ok. Je vais prendre votre temprature et couter vos poumons avec le stthoscope. So in the morning he come to meet Febi for guided him. T : yes, thanks. Before you leave for your trip, try making a list of things youd like to do. Je me suis vraiment bien amus/amuse. This phrase is extremely common when in France you'll likely hear it several times per day. Here, I'll provide 10 simple, sample French conversation scripts, along with resources so you can find more on your own. Je suis moiti franaise, moiti corenne mais nous habitons en Suisse. To get the most out of audio French dialogues, I suggest a three-step study program: This three-step program helps you get accustomed to listening to French conversation without becoming overwhelmed or lost. ), GRARD: Cest 650 euros par mois. But what type of ticket do you want? Informally, it's also common to say ouais or ouaip instead of oui like saying yeah or yep in English. Oui. Sometimes, vocabulary isnt the problem. (Are you both ready to order? And to be polite, start your request with excusez-moi monsieur/madame. (See you/See you later!). Pas de problme. (She works at a pharmacy.). Here is the key. Combien a cote ? Jtais tuteur danglais aux tats-Unis. a cote 7 euros, mais je vous la donne gratuitement. As you may have guessed from the title, this video includes 239 dialogues in French. ), VOUS: Oui. (Good. Or how do you say cool in French slang? Other French . Lascenseur est gauche de la rception. The general word is carte, which you may recognise from the expression la carte. However, on is also used to refer to an unspecified person or people in general, like the word one is sometimes used in formal English. I say words because there are two main ways to say menu in French. Then you have si. Est-ce que tu vis avec une autre personne ? Click here to get a copy. Let's see how a simple conversation can take place at the travel agency!Enjoy and happy learning! The video itself starts with dialogues aimed at beginner and pre-intermediate learners and moves up to more advanced topics for intermediate and upper-intermediate learners. (And after the post office? ), TOI: Jai un petit frre et une grande sur. Wherever you go in France, youll find a whole host of things that make the area unique. Wouldnt it be nice if French conversations followed a script? ), GRARD: Non, je vis tout seul. (Do you know the way? Or you can make it stronger by saying merci beaucoup - "thanks very much". Je vous vois demain. Its very kind of you. In French, yes is oui and no is non. Bonne journe. Replace beau with froid (cold), chaud (hot), or moche (bad) accordingly, using trs (very) to . Deux chambres ? Guide: Yes Kassandra. Vous sjournerez la chambre 23 au deuxime tage. ? I also recommend a lot of water and soup.). (Can I order this on the internet? Enchant/Enchante. (I would like to pay in cash.). Do you live with another person? Every dialogue even has an exercise at the bottom to reinforce the phrases you learned. An apritif is a beverage one drinks before eatingtypically something alcoholic like whiskey, vodka orpastis, for example. (Whats your name?) Speaks: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Esperanto, Mandarin Chinese, American Sign Language, Dutch, Irish, SIGN-UP for your FREE Speak in a Week email course, Start speaking your target language in just 7 days, THIS is how I learn a language in 3 months, 60+ Essential French Phrases for Beginners to Start Speaking Now, Bennys Top Resources for Learning American Sign Language, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Vietnamese, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Turkish, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Thai, Bennys Top Resources for Learning European Portuguese, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Hebrew, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Tagalog, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Dutch, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Swedish, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Cantonese, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Esperanto, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Korean, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Arabic, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Czech, Bennys Top Resources for Learning Polish, guide to help you with French pronunciation here, French Numbers: Counting in French from 1 100+. Saying je parle un peu franaiswill enable you to continue practicing your speaking skills, while at the same time alleviating any pressure you might feel to talk fluently. In this case, you should say it with a rising tone to indicate that it's a question. How many nights will you stay? Je ne vais pas bien. ), TOI(YOU): Je viens des tats-Unis. If you want to introduce yourself in French, then this French conversation is for you. Non, mais il y a un lave-linge pour mes vtements. ), Jai envie de faire la fte ! Generally, most tourist destinations will be equipped to deal with foreign credit cards, but if youre ever not sure, it always pays to double check! Asking est-ce que vous acceptez les cartes trangres ? Or if you're by yourself, say je voudrais (I'd like) instead of nous voudrions (we'd like). and pay the same, fixed price no matter what you selected. You are American? (Breakfast is from 7:00 am until 10:30 am. ), Je suis crev/creve, jy vais. Learn some typical questions and answers. ), VOUS: Merci pour votre patience. Si is one of many linguistic features that I sorely miss when I speak English. My name is Grard. If you don't understand something, persevere in French anyway it's the only way you'll learn. ), GRARD: Quel instrument ? ), COMMERANT: Allez dans la ruelle gauche du bureau. (Were taking shots! ), VOUS: Oui, je lai apport avec moi. (I have an American passport. Je suis rpu/repue. I have a fever, a headache and chills. FluentU brings French to life with real-world videos. Read this dialogue with a partner to practice your pronunciation. Alright! a marche. I wrote a guide to help you with French pronunciation here. (Thank you. Whether its local French cooking, events or linguistic differences, it pays to research the place youre going and, if necessary, learn a few basic French phrases relating to whatever may be going on around you. And if youre ready to learn more French, check out the 111 core French words that are commonly used. ), On va prendre la bouteille. (A table for 4, please. Voici la cl. Cest une petite fivre. In order to get the most out of the trip, its a great idea for tourists and travelers to learn some basic French phrases and words ahead of time. If you run into trouble in France, one good address to have on hand is that of the American embassy. (The menu, please. ), TU: a cote 7 euros, mais je vous la donne gratuitement. Cest une petite fivre. Finally, do you have something with your address, a bill for example ? Can you return tomorrow, around 2 p.m.? (I study music. French conversation scripts such as these can give you key words that are likely to come up in an actual conversation, as well as familiarize you with conversational flow. As a main dish, I would like the chicken cordon bleu. If you're checking into a hotel in a French-speaking country, one useful thing to know the checkout time. Que font tes parents ? Again, travel French isnt just about getting around, eating well and having fun. Jai oubli ! You can find out who the people involved are, what the context is and some listening tips. Aimer usually means like, but in this context it means love in the most romantic of senses. If you meet people, get lost or just need to ask a local some questions, these expressions and sayings will help you out in most tourist scenarios and make your time in France truly memorable! Fun-loving Irish guy, full-time globe trotter and international bestselling author. Je prendrai une salade nioise et le coq au vin. Avez-vous besoin du service de rveil automatique par tlphone ? Youve done the museums, the galleries, the restaurants, the cafs time to party! -Oh, elle doit avoir ou dix-huit ans, je suppose.-Et son anglais ? ), TU: Ah, oui. TIC : my name is Indri I am a tourist information center. Dave: Here you are. But there are still ways to prepare. Mon pre est diplomate et ma mre est mdecin. ), TOI: Je mappelle Lisa. You can also review your vocabulary words with personalized exercises that let you choose, type or speak your answer. (Do you have a sore throat or a cough? Learning about other forms of transport will also help you to no end, especially when youre searching for a way to get home. The French are famously protective of their language.