Next up was the 240 cam with (you guessed it) 240 degrees of intake duration. It was a soild flat-tappet and was comparable in size to my roller cam. Torque on the other hand isnt something to write home about. ***Most important is theStupid question is the one that was never asked!*** endobj The entire front accessory drive and timing chain cover must be removed, along with the distributor and intake manifold. 0 Community for the 351 Cleveland Ford engine enthusiasts world wide. I know choosing a cam depends on many factors. fuel injection system . Adapting to the Unique Ocala Environment Without changing the stock pistons. There are a couple of reasons for this suggestion. endobj They ask, you answer and they fill in the multiple . This is a custom order part. Olive Branch, MS. 38654, Tech Support (M-F 7am-7pm CST) Wednesday 5/3/2023 I tested a 351C on my dyno about 2 weeks ago and it was rather un impressive, but at the same time very impressive. I spin it to 6500 and thats about it. Cranking compression right at 195 psi. Thanks to the combination of bore and stroke, the 6.0L now displaced close to the OG Trans Am displacement of 6.6 liters, or more accurately 408 cubic inches. The final test was the 246 cam, with .624 lift, a 246/254 degree duration and 114 degree LSA, but with less-than-stellar results. We doubt any LS owner would run a 408 with a stock cam, but we nonetheless wanted to demonstrate the gains offered by the cams and needed a starting point. If you have a lot of seeds to spare in one variety batch, test germination on paper towels to get an idea of what percentage of smalls might germinate in the future. Well also assume that this engine is running stock exhaust manifolds. Local: 901-795-2400 Hi , Every thing he tells you on this site is true. Jeff Smith: It would have been better to know a little bit more about your combination, but the short answer is yeswith a hydraulic roller camshaft, assuming the lifters are in good shape and the roller wheels show no unusual wear, they can be re-used on a new cam with no danger of adverse effects. I believe the exhaust spring seats are deeper on that head. 8649 Hacks Cross Rd. I have a 66 mustang with its original untouched 289 with over 140 k on it that Ive been running a blow thru turbo making 14 lbs of boost on for the last 5 years and its never given me a problem. Need help finding what you are looking for. 12 0 obj We are in the shop late too. The Edelbrock Group will be in attendance at many of the largest races & car shows across the country. I have managed to get 402 horse power from a 289 hipo natural aspirated. Again, assuming this is a nearly stock 5.0L with stock heads, the Weiand Street Warrior dual plane intake and 600 cfm carburetor, its important to not become overly aggressive and choose a big camshaft. Swapping over to the 240 cam from Crane (PN 1449251) resulted in some serious power gains. Call us on (08) 8363 5566 or email us at [email protected] for more information. By continuing to use our site, you agree to their use. HtU4}u2%Z Ax83Mg0+TIO,-%JbW:T_K8iJ(9 l_pzf9n8l9wI' &YpI0W4zP,Cb,-TE qCZd%V};r\UUYx%[+XxIzA05CmMUWT5e\'%T..QBI-.``>' RIen?mR{-(M03*_Ii7h$fwew!mFuJnVX\z[u!3Q:1,Q Think about that number for a minute! We ship weekly from many suppliers, and custom orders from Crane Cams and Quick Fuel Technology are our specialty. A true indication of a . ,TV58`A^M95^uxQv]{5s_[OL\(8'9t:,rE4 GQjpqfG$W0+@ He's authored several books on performance engine building and written numerous articles for publications like Hot Rod, Car Craft, Super Chevy, Power & Performance, GM High Tech, and many others. 1 0 obj Could use maybe a 1/2 point to 3/4 point more compression. (its not their engine) How? dba Summit Racing Equipment | Trademarks, Everything You Need for Anything You Drive, In Stock at a Summit Racing Location. Orders: 1-800-238-0341, Ask us a tech question on Twitter @CPGTech. Compared to the 206, the 224 cam stepped up in both lift and duration. However, theres a distinct possibility that I might pull all of my hair out if I see another in-depth article explaining how I, along with just over a billion other desperate humans seeking answers, need special valve spring split locks for my next tired Chevy build. Qoe#Rx0/,C>SLrT#Nj:@}Zr.Oj3KN+>=Ix4TFM frK/W/c+\lP q(.K|1~=|N_sh!F+*B;In-n /#++JF :H{RDhnQ"yVYZ>Xh'rQE=D8t%QxI8BzuNK&pq(R5T]FW%YrG4;j(n4y]19)47AXcUuyIq\e,4oZml32@y8(7qGKKNX"77EIQEq/O`( mMjE}IVWTM)pRg {y*G/?G". 2 0 obj rX7c`]e About the Catalog. prices, backed up by the fastest delivery possible. I noticed that according to Crane cam card, max lift takes place at 107/117 (Intake / Exhaust). QI8 That said there are some better aftermarket options for heads also. What we are saying here is that the stock cam timing becomes even more of a restriction to the stroker, so power gains improve dramatically when compared on a healthy stroker. Most of them are aware of what changes need to be completed. It can also have much higher negative accelerations because it can handle alot more spring. We all know the LS engine family, even in stock trim, responds well to cam timing for this very reason. Crane Cams has reopened under the new ownership of S&S Cycle, and is actively engaged in manufacturing and sales operations of its ignition and motorcycle lines. Normal Response Time Is Less Than Two Business Days. Please note that Checkout Prices will be in US Dollars. Im now thinking of adding a cam to match the carb. I have heard this rod bolt weakness myth for years but have yet to have a single problem with them in any of the SBF engines I have pounded on for the last 30 years and there have been lots of them. Learn how your comment data is processed. After graduating from Iowa State University with a journalism degree in 1978, he combined his two passions: cars and writing. You might even say its like flogging a dead horse without any animals actually being injured during my moments of sarcasm. A COMP hydraulic roller cam we found works well with this combination. With intake flow topping 350cfm, the AFR 245s were capable of supporting over 700hp, or more than enough for the mild cams we were testing. This represented a gain of 135 hp over the stock cam and nearly 70 hp over the smaller 206 cam. I have been working on Fords for 40 years and I have experimented with a few tricks of my own. The 240 cam offered .600 lift (intake and exhaust), a 240/246 degree duration split and 114 degree LSA. Today and yesterday I called several cam companies to get their take on a cam for the 351C. Cam profiles (grinds) are listed beginning, with the mildest duration (lowest numerical duration shown, Cam & Valve Train Applications: Pages 20263, All Crane Cams are organized in typical Make, number of, cylinders, year, engine fashion, and according to the type, . Jun 5, 2011. Crane Cam Recommendation Form About Us. Estimated International Ship Date: The 408 short-block offered plenty of cubes and compression, but power production for any motor is a function of the heads, intake, and (as we shall see) cam profile. Camshaft Recommendation Form 367. 8 0 obj How to Use This Catalog. But dont think that adding a bigger camshaft will make more power. jTXVDFRnLT"kGKq-q,(u%0L(W!eUY}DuEu27~.\\zS896dnhUQ,zhx&yZm $x{~|:P&x7US(-okq'WU.'#Xo':y" !j_\eYLPSni]zp-G3Aol v'8~(`>u-:4"Bx48wn`3~|Eb/@{9h)t$fqrk:O;x5TdHA12. The 408 stroker test mule started out life as a lowly LQ4 6.0L truck motor. Its NA but makes use of AFR heads and some other aftermarket goodies. <> Headers and a camshaft will help but the engine really needs aftermarket 3/8 inch connecting rod bolts and aftermarket cylinder heads. Theres many options available for a little more power. Your email address will not be published. I just would like to know your thoughts and hopefully a dyno graph. Need An Immediate Recommendation Please call 1-800-999-0853 Next The combination of this cam with your intake and headers will produce a very nice street engine. endstream endobj startxref Cam profiles (grinds) are listed beginning with the, mildest duration through the most radical in each, Application provides additional information about the, camshaft. The Crane cam is the "Service" or "8v" cam, it should be labeled c3ae-aa or c3az-k, 324-324 advertised, 288-288 SAE (or 290-290), 244-244 at .050", and 208-208 at .100" lobe. Need help finding what you are looking for? This is the main reason why these engines are not modified as much as the small block Chevy. TECH BULLETIN Cam & Lifter Recommendations ph. Outside Diameter, 428 lbs./in. By continuing to use our site, you agree to their use. Personal Information: COMPONENTS. Like to see this comparison on 80s 350 iron block carb fed motor. Cam Form Test. The necessity for cam timing only increases when you add displacement and even more head and intake flow to the mix. Luckily, all of these questions were answered in a single dyno session, as we ran no less than five different cams through a 408 LS stroker, with very interesting results. First, adding headers will improve power on the existing combination. Outside Diameter, .675 in. Ltd) was set up in 1997 as a Joint Venture with Crane Cams in the USA, to distribute the range of Crane products to retailers & wholesalers . Crane Cams was founded in 1953 and has earned a reputation for innovations and manufacturing excellence. NOTE: Computer Controlled Vehicles Must Use Smooth Idle Camshafts ONLY. When compared to the new generation of performance engines on the market today like the 5.0L DOHC Coyote engine, your engine will not come close. In the case of a stroker, you obviously have sufficient displacement to benefit from wilder-than-stock cam timing, but other components are also necessary, like cylinder head and intake flow (and design). Bore, .210 in. Copyright 2023 by AUTOSALES, INCORPORATED 30 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<183C6F4B76C9EAFF5B48EFFB3BFDA164><81D3ED5F612E374ABA7CF289A0B5F129>]/Index[10 37]/Info 9 0 R/Length 96/Prev 90466/Root 11 0 R/Size 47/Type/XRef/W[1 2 1]>>stream Keeping all that compression sealed in the chamber was a Total Seal ring package, while Sealed Power and Moroso supplied the new oil pump, pan, and windage tray. Run with this 206 cam, the power output of the 408 jumped to 515 hp at 5,400 rpm and 556 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,600 rpm. They sit at a computer screen with a form on it with questions. The 4.030-in. This cam offered an extra 177 hp over the stock cam, 111 hp over the 206 cam and 42 hp over the 224 cam. (both intake and exhaust), the duration split to 240/246 degrees, while the LSA remained constant at 114 degrees. New media New comments Search media. . Long tube headers are a terrific idea, but you need to open up the exhaust side. 402 HP NA from a HI PO 289 isnt that mysterious of a feat to accomplish with todays SBF Aftermarket parts availability. bore combined with the 4.0-inch stroker crank to produce 408 cubic-inches. Introduction. Blowers, turbos, and nitrous can show those gains, but how can you get gains like that with a simple cam swap? Since I was in a points battle (I was second in Top ET the night the pin sheared), and since I couldn't afford new roller lifters, or had time to get mine rebuilt, we put new valves in the motor, changed springs, and stuck an old design Crower cam in I had bought from their online garage sale. Members. Swap out that wimpy stock cam and watch the power jump back to where it should be for those applications. Now the choice comes down to Crane and. Once the headers are in place, then you can consider if you still want more power. Whether science or scorcery, one thing is certainthis Crane cam worked like magic on the 408 stroker. Olive Branch, MS. 38654. The usual answer is forced induction, but what about a simple cam swap? hb``b``rd````@@,&3W121223a940F@la3 The Crower specs were 266/277 @ .050, 107 lsa, .625/.623 lift, .022,.024 lash hot. But the power doesn't stop with precision-ground cams, Crane also manufactures high-output ignition components, competition-grade valve springs, heat-treated chromemoly pushrods, and it even introduced enthusiasts to the world's first Once the best-kept secret of high performance engine builders, camshafts from Crane Cams have been at the center of the action in hot rods, circle track racers, and dragsters since 1953. * Gross valve lift: 0.448 / 0.463 * Lobe separation: 115 Cam recommendation from Crower is: BAJA BEAST * Duration at .050 in. Custom made to match any engine configuration. But my past experiances with roller cams, and even one outdated Crower cam is this, roller's aren't worth it in a cleveland unless the motor is going to see 8500 rpm. Regrind and Special Cam Service 348-349 . $40.00 Ea. For 2018, the Coyote makes 460 hp. by F-BIRD'88 Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:54 pm. Always the weak area in the 289 and 302 is the tiny 5/16 inch connecting rod bolts and the miniscule intake and exhaust ports. CAMSHAFTS CAMSHAFT RECOMMENDATION FORM. 5 0 obj Ltd) was set up in 1997 as a Joint Venture with Crane Cams in the USA, to distribute the range of Crane products to retailers & wholesalers throughout Australia. Cam Recommendation Application for Street, Street/Strip, Off Road, Marine & Race. <> You can order this part by Contacting Us. Prototype Cam ServicesCrane Cams utilizes computer programs to perform precision cam profile measurements and design analysis. The 60' times were the same, ET was the same, mph was the same. Additionally, by selecting varieties that are well-suited for your climate and soil type, you can increase the chances of success with each planting season. . The 240 cam increased lift to .600-in. It's a Crane solid roller. Personal Information: Name: E-mail: Address: Phone: City: Fax: . And have discovered something that I dont think anyone else knows. Anythoughts? On paper they look like great mild upgrades to a stock block with springs and lightly worked over 862 heads. Cookie Policy. I got rid of the carburetor and went with a F.A.S.T. All agreed that I can lower the torque peak slightly and keep the same overall powerband AND make much more horsepower, probably 60 or so. The cost of a new set of standard replacement roller lifters is very affordable at major retailers like Summit. What kind of upgrade is usually associated with improving the power output of a motor by 177 hp? It's certainly possible for the flat tappet camshaft to make as much power as the roller in the engine depending on the grind. Products bearing this product identification code are legal only for off-highway use (except CA, standards), or pre-emissions controlled engines (pre-1966 domestic vehicles certified to CA standards, pre-1968 domestic, vehicles certified to federal standards and all pre-1968 foreign vehicles), per, Do not sell or share my personal information. endobj We figure a stock cam grind stuck in a NASCAR motor would drop the 800+ hp power output by as much as 300hp or more. - Flat Tappet Camshaft Break-in Procedure, Computer Controlled (w/Emissions Controls). document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. . endobj Plus, a long-duration camshaft also tends to bleed precious cylinder pressure with long duration and lots of overlap. Our recommendation would be, rather than change the camshaft, you might want to look into adding a set of long-tube headers and a dual exhaust if the engine is not already so equipped. Installation of the 224 cam increased the power output to 584 hp at 5,800 rpm 566 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,700 rpm. Despite being optimized for the larger-bore applications, the AFR 245s worked well on our 4.030-bore stroker. OR you could put your automotive journalistic skills in motion by reporting on the many new modern components available for the latest generation 351 Cleveland. Rate, 1.160 in. 3 -zB"ZHg{g`=Np,! Have you tested any 5.3L lm7 blocks using an ASA, cam. Crane-pioneered dual-pattern cam lobe profiles first appeared in the 1960's, and are today's primary component in shattering drag racing's 330 mph Top Fuel barrier and the Pro/Stock 200 mph barrier! These are among the best of the iron Ford Windsor heads as they tend to flow much better than earlier castings. And agree the cams do help and a few tricks with the heads that I have discovered really make a difference. Furthermore, if you're growing heirloom varieties or rare species that may not, This website uses cookies for functionality, analytics and advertising purposes as described in our. 8649 Hack Cross Road Olive Branch, MS 38654. %PDF-1.5 % If the idle quality is other than stock, it is also, each cam listing. (A starter is a motor, windshield wipers use a motor,electric windows use motors) Any one uses that terminology in my shop will be corrected once, only once. Every Crane camshaft is made from induction hardened alloy steel using the industry's most accurate manufacturing processes to ensure unbeatable power gains and reliability even in the most extreme setups. 0% found this document useful, Mark this document as useful, 0% found this document not useful, Mark this document as not useful, oil copes with the stresses created with at-faced. The best thing to do would be to use a specific break-in oil for the first 200 to 300 miles of use to reduce the change of a potential problem with undue wear. Unfortunately, the website appears to be down and it is unclear if this is temporary or permanent.