Was Kirsten Nelson really pregnant on Psych? He was then offered a chance to audition for the role of a gang member, but was then told he "didn't look Latino enough.". Dul Hill is back to reprise his role as the reliable officer Gus, and the same actor who stars as the clairvoyant Shawn is also back for the new movieexcept his name is a little different than fans are used to seeing. 14 hours ago, by Pallavi Bhadu Sarah Michelle Gellar Posts Sweet Video Made Up Of Throwbacks With Freddie Prinze Jr. Jason Momoa Gets Real About How 'Baffling' It Was That Aquaman Was So Successful, Geraldo Rivera Explains What Jerry Springer Brought To Daytime TV And Why He Always Marveled At Him, Gwyneth Paltrow Says She's 'Proud' Years Later Of Bringing Conscious Uncoupling Into The Mainstream, Credits It For Making Divorces 'Easier', Baby Fever Is In The Air As Bonnie Wright Is The Latest Harry Potter Star To Announce A Pregnancy, Pete Davidson And Chase Sui Wonders Were Both At The Bupkis Premiere, But Totally Avoided Taking Red Carpet Photos Together, Following Controversy Surrounding Netflix's Queen Cleopatra, Egypt's Council Of Antiquities Weighs In. Rodriguez called the decision to resume using his birth surname "deeply personal," and said that he hoped his journey back to his real name could serve as a learning moment for others. To Steves credit, he couldve jumped the gun and tried to do this two or three seasons earlier, but he wouldnt do it until he had it right and he knew exactly what it was in his head. 17 hours ago. A post shared by Dule Hill (@dulehill) on May 30, 2017 at 9:52am PDT, A post shared by Psych (@psychonusa) on Apr 23, 2020 at 1:00pm PDT, A post shared by Dule Hill (@dulehill) on Mar 26, 2014 at 7:58am PDT, A post shared by Psych (@psychonusa) on Jul 12, 2012 at 9:18am PDT, A post shared by Dule Hill (@dulehill) on Jul 23, 2016 at 11:02am PDT, A post shared by Dule Hill (@dulehill) on Feb 13, 2014 at 10:24am PST, A post shared by Dule Hill (@dulehill) on Jun 14, 2017 at 2:02am PDT, A post shared by Dule Hill (@dulehill) on Nov 12, 2017 at 7:19am PST, A post shared by Dule Hill (@dulehill) on Nov 25, 2013 at 8:55am PST, by Monica Sisavat He is the son of Jim Rodrguez and Deborah Collins. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Try /r/psychology or a related subreddit for that, or /r/SampleSize if looking to take or share surveys.). The a cappella group helps. His passion for acting is through the roof!Dul: OK, that's NOT what I thought you were going to say [laughs]. Advertisement. Lets go for it.. I hope we are all having these conversations in our lives. Psych: The Musical, written and directed by creator Steve Franks, puts BFFs Shawn (James Roday) and Gus (Dule Hill) at the center as theyre tasked with tracking down an escaped madman, playwright Z (Rents Anthony Rapp), who six years earlier was declared criminally insane after locking a critic in a back room of the theater that he burned to the ground. Visit our corporate site (opens in new tab). That number just gets me every time I see it. NY 10036. Thrives on New Orleans Saints football, The West Wing and taco trucks. Distractify is a registered trademark. I've looked about as far as the wiki for the episode. Needless to say, Curt Smith and Tears for Fears is a fan favorite for the Psychos. "I just hope it's something that can be amplified. Im partial without giving too much away to the number that happens between Ally Sheedys character Yang and the surprise guest singer that shows up to sing with her. Over the years, the actors have formed a strong bond, with Dul often calling James his "brother" on social media and James being a groomsman at Dul and Jazmyn Simon's 2018 wedding. He recalled auditioning for a DreamWorks pilot and nailing it, but his last name again caused problems. All Rights Reserved. "If you don't deliver, it's not going to work. How to Watch King Charles' Coronation Live in the U.S. Save Up to 70% on Rugs for Every Room at Wayfair's Sale, Psych 2 Cast on How The West Wing Reunion Came Together (Exclusive). Psych-Os for life! They said, 'You might want to give some real consideration to changing your name. ], 5. Who was your favorite Psych guest star?Roday: I've had all of my friends who act on the show over the course of the series, so setting THEM aside (who include, but are not limited to: Jimmi Simpson, Michael Weston, and Dana Ashbrook), I'd have to go with someone I'd never met before, so I'm going with Ally Sheedy. 'A Million Little Things' Season 2 Finale Ends on Shocking Cliffhanger. One day, when James Roday was in the . If the rest of AMLTs final season is filled with more experiences like the one in the premiere in which Gary and Danny (Chance Hurstfield) paid a visit to the secret lover of Garys late fathers war buddy I think were in for an emotional ride. It gives Gary permission to start living for every moment, not knowing how many hell have left. "I was deeply moved, but also very shaken by a lot of the stuff that I heardstuff that I was one or two generations removed from and never needed to reconcile or even stop and think about. "Some kind of heart surgery? Alita: Battle Angel Producer Gives Hopeful Update On The Sequel, And How Avatar 2 Is Connected, Jason Momoa Clarifies Feelings On Aquaman, Talks Frustration Of The Lost Kingdom Not Using Many Of His Ideas, Polite Societys Breakout Star Talks Breaking Social Norms And Making A Kick-Ass Movie For Young Brown Girls, The Mandalorian Season 4: Here's What's Been Said About Plans For The Next Season, Blake Lively Had A Funny Response When Asked About Which Met Gala Look She Loves The Most, Universal Orlando Teases Halloween Horror Nights With New Video And I'm Completely Creeped Out. We started teasing it at Comic-Con [first in 2012 and then earlier this year] to make sure there was an appetite for it and I think it was pretty clear early on that yes, we have the greatest fans in the history of fandom to come out like Hey, guys, we want to do an episode where we make lunch boxes, they wouldve thought that was awesome. I look forward to seeing where the journeys going to go.. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. All Rights Reserved. Rodriguez continued: So, the diagnosis that, Hey, this is the deal, it is what it is, you know? He had to be Psych serious. Met Gala 2023: All the Stars in Thom Brownes Class Photo (Exclusive), Rob Dyrdek Inks Multi-Year Deal at MTV, Brings Back Fantasy Factory (Exclusive), SNL: Andrew Garfield Does Dramatic Clint Eastwood Impression in Promos (Video), Of Monsters and Mens Singer on Folk Music Resurgence and Strangest Fan Interaction (Q&A), Comic-Con: 'Psych: The Musical' Debuts Delicious New Trailer (Exclusive Video), USA Sets Premiere Dates for 'Suits,' 'Psych' and 'White Collar', 'Psych' Creator Fulfills Musical Dream: I've Checked It Off My Bucket List (Q&A), Why the Fatal Attraction Series Wants You to Forget How the Movie Ended, FXs Alien TV Series Taps Sydney Chandler to Star, Trevor Noah Producing U.S. A Million Little Things airs on Thursdays at 10 p.m. on ABC. Shutterstock (8) 9. The first season centered around a group of friends including Eddie Saville (David Giuntoli), Rome Howard (Romany Malco), Katherine Kim (Grace Park), and Gary Mendez (James Roday Rodriguez) in Boston as they grappled with the suicide of Jon Dixon (Ron Livingston). And while the film certainly marks the debut of the name, it belongs to someone Psych fans are very familiar with. Thats some really solid man-on-man action that I will be thankful for as long as I live. I think what we do is fairly unique on 'Psych,' and we just have to keep doing that because that's what got us where we are. And I just hope it's something that can be amplified. Also the way its shot and the way they sound together, I have to confess its my favorite song. A little bit, sure, the fact that we had sort of sung silly on camera over the years. Rodriguez said there was actually another actor named James Rodriguez in the Screen Actors Guild at the time, so he began using that as an excuse for why he changed his last name. Eric Is Hiding a Major Secret on ABC's 'A Million Little Things' What Is It? Roday was born in San Antonio. It was cool having Cary Elwes as Despereaux, but I'm going to go beyond the series and into the movies and say that my favorite addition to the Psych cinematic universe is Jazmyn Simon. At the end of Season 2, Vick announced that she would step down because her position as Chief was not solidified by the mayor, but she received a call from the mayor soon after, effectively giving her the position. James Roday is best known for playing Gary Mendez on 'A Million Little Things,' and Shawn Spencer on 'Psych.' Let's Doo-Wop It Again: Directed by Jay Chandrasekhar. Steve Franks wrote and directed the episode, including creating the lyrics for original songs. cnx({ 3. 6. The reason the show gave was her affair with Lassiter, which was, of course, against department protocol. Twitter: @insidethetube, Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day, Inside the business of TV with breaking news, expert analysis and showrunner interviews. We were able to reunite so many of the original cast members of Twin Peaks, which was my favorite show growing up, so that was just me geeking out externally and internally. For several minutes. Future US, Inc. Full 7th Floor, 130 West 42nd Street, What was your favorite on-set memory from the set of Psych 3: This Is Gus?Dul: Well, I have two. This story discusses the Season 5 premiere, The Last Dance, which aired February 8. We felt like we were in pretty good shape with the response if we could pull it off. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. Did James Roday have a heart operation? I hope we are all reflecting. But now I'm going to go back to the name I was born with. With James Roday Rodriguez, Dul Hill, Timothy Omundson, Maggie Lawson. Why Are Taylor Swifts Fans Exchanging Friendship Bracelets At The Eras Tour? Why does Psych need to do a musical episode and what are they going to do thats better or at least as good as other shows that have done musical episodes? The casts do usually sing in these even when they're bad singers. Here's everything we learned: 1. The episode was directed by Matt Shakman and written by Bill Callahan and series star James Roday Rodriguez. James David Rodrguez was born on April 4, 1976. In 2012, a person identifying as James' cousin posted a photo with the actor on Reddit. With the release of Psych 2: Lassie Come Home on Peacock on July 15, we couldn't help but reminisce over some of the duo's best moments over the years ahead. The constant anxiety over whether or not their cancer will come back has been an ongoing conversation with Maggie and Gary through the course of the series, and James Roday Rodriguez pointed out that while it wasn't the prognosis Gary may have wanted, there was some relief in not having to wonder anymore. I vividly remember being completely shocked and thrown off course because he wasnt staying on dialogue, Hill told Variety editor Jenelle Riley. Its really a huge testament to Steve Franks and everything he threw into this one. "And sure enough, I did the pilot, I came up with this name that I pulled right out of a Chekhov play that I was doing at the time, and I've been Roday ever since," he says. Spoiler alert! TimesMojo is a social question-and-answer website where you can get all the answers to your questions. [Writer's note: The three of us proceeded to geek out over the brilliance and absurdness that is Twin Peaks. View agent, publicist, legal and company contact details on IMDbPro. My father is Jaime Rodriguez from San Antonio, Texas, and I've got one whole half of my family that's Mexican through and through. Kirsten Nelson was pregnant in real life when she auditioned for her role as Interim Chief Karen Vick. But I dont think we were all that intimidated about the singing aspect of it for the exact reasons that you just mentioned. "Oooh, ooh! The size and placement of the scar on his chest matches one from that type of operation. But this is the late '90s. But they said I wasn't right for that either because I didn't look Latino enough. Did you have to approach Shawn singing differently this time around? 3 million Dollar. The actor said a recent discussion he had with his father about his family's heritage led to the decision. And that's what started the whole thing. In People's 100 Most Beautiful People issue (2007). Home | About | Contact | Copyright | Report Content | Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Sitemap. It can be edited in the studio and it's why it almost sounds odd in musicals because the song is sung in the studio but it's hard to mix the song to make it sound like it's in the street or wherever the scene is taking place. " Dual Spires " is the 12th episode of the fifth season of the American comedy-drama television series Psych, and the 75th episode overall. The comedy detective film, which debuts on NBCUniversal's new streaming service Peacock on Wednesday, follows the TV series' usual lead characters, Shawn and Gus.