This manoeuvres the audience into acknowledging the pointlessness of the Trojan war as it is not worth risking so many lives over Helen or any minor military conflict. While those campaigns are successful in raising better awareness and positivity in the realm of conservation, they do not change the ways in which we live and consume. It was purported that Paris and Helen were responsible for initiating the war as Helen was governed by her lust for Paris and left Menelaus, the Spartan prince, for this young prince of Troy. It is Zbignew who yearns to escape his home culture, while Magda desperately wishes to understand her father: while I was racing backwards towards my Polishness, my father was rushing in the other direction, assimilating at a rate of knots. Though this is reversed, there are still ties into other themes: intergenerational misunderstandings for instance are perpetuated by their differing stances on migration. Odysseus took 10 years to make the arduous journey home to Ithaca because Poseidon agreed to punish the Greeks for the atrocities committed before and after their victory. However, Andys antagonistic approach towards Harry undercuts his own integrity as he willingly allows prejudice to cloud his thinking simply because it is the more convenient thing to do, as opposed to collaborating and accommodating each others interests. This included the Divine Right of Kings, and notions of gender and identity. I send out emails every single week just giving you new advice and tips for your studies, so I'll put that in the description box below for you to sign up. For more sample essay topics, head over to our Extinction Study Guide to practice writing essays using the analysis you've learnt in this blog! At the end of the day, any and all good English essays have their roots in the fundamentals. With Gogol and Sonia both grown up, Ashima reflects on the separate lives they now lead, noting that she must be willing to accept her childrens independence, and her sons partner Maxine despite her misgivings. They are defined by a tragic hero, who has a fatal flaw or Hamartia that results in their downfall. To what extent do you agree with the statement? The various privileges Richard holds shape his identity in this text. Early in the play, Professor Dixon-Brown is anchored to her desk, filing applications and paperwork instead of getting back to her own research. We've got a character list for you in Measure for Measure by William Shakespeare (just scroll down to the Character section). Check it out here. These ABC components are: This prompt alludes to certain assumptions that Richard might make about the world. Despite exploring Isabellas flaws to a large degree, Shakespeare does indeed present her redemption at the denouement of the play.. Instead Im going to use Othello as a case study. How does Kennedys short story format add to the readers understanding of the themes uncovered in the novel?. The one that stands out the most to me is this idea of unconditional love. #00B0F - "Look. it features the four protagonists; Dr Piper Ross, Harry Jewell, Andy Dixon and Professor Dixon-Brown and their efforts in preventing the extinction of particularly the Tiger Quoll but ultimately human kind. sandra nicolacopoulos. Although at first glance, Shakespeares depiction of Isabellas excessive puritanical nature appears to be her virtue, by aligning her with the devil that is Angelo, it appears that this is indeed her flaw., My main tip for a conclusion is to finish it off with a confident commentary of the entire piece and what you think that the author was trying to convey through their words (in relation to the topic). Evil, is a symptom of Andys oversimplified thinking. There is no apparent chronological order present in the collection, but rather a varied order of stories, depicting its diverse range of voices. In Year 12, I made a conscious effort to include one literary device or metalanguage example per body paragraph in all of my English essays. This is a very high scoring (95%) creative piece regarding the character Piper's experience in the Australian rainforest from Hannie Rayson's play Extinction. Hannie Raysons provocative play delves deep into the central question of what it means to uphold a personal conviction in the face of self-interest and necessity. Themes usually appear in interactions: for example, a parent reuniting with a child might evoke the theme of parenthood or family, an experience of discrimination might evoke the theme of prejudice or racism, a character facing a difficult choice might evoke the theme of morality or conflict, and so on. Erpenbeck challenges us to empathise without dehumanising, condescending or assuming anything in the process.. If youre not sure where youre going, well, how are you going to get anywhere? Erpenbeck questions the limits of human empathy - whose deaths are we more affected by, and why - through contrasting these different bodies of water, and those who die within them. Can you guess what it might be? Menelaus was enraged and he convinced his brother Agamemnon to lead an expedition to retrieve Helen. Finally, practice. In contrast, the following shot of Lisa in the positive foreshadows the development of the film, as he begins to perceive Lisa as a possible life partner: Want to save this for later? Other than that, I will talk to you guys next week. This way, you ensure that nothing becomes lost in translation, and you demonstrate clearly to the marker that you understand the core of your topic. Hannie Rayson's play 'Extinction' delves into th. However, Mr Evil is also inspired by nostalgia and sentimentality over a childhood memory where a tiger quoll steals his drumstick. What Ashoke might not realise is that this has caused Gogol even more distress of his own. Lahiris novel The Namesake and Szubanskis memoir Reckoning both explore just how complex family dynamics can be. It is through this almost voyeuristic advantage we subsequently possess as readers, that we are able to fully understand the depth of each characters humanity and sense of identity, as well as the various struggles that follow the course of an individuals life. The Glass Soldier, The Swimming Club and Extinction. Have questions? These obstacles are richly interwoven with the novels context in post-reunification Germany (more on this under Symbols: Borders), but bureaucracy and ignorance are everywhere - Australia included. Was it because of their problematic ways of dealing with an ideological crisis? Other thematic ideas that relate to this umbrella phrase include: misuse of authority and ethics of the digital world.. Dont be afraid to modify this to make it work for you and your needs. In this play, he purports that it is inherently Aphrodites fault that the Trojans are fighting against the Greeks, as it is Aphrodite who makes Paris and Helen endlessly fall in love with each other. As the term 'home' invokes connotations of warmth and affection, Hecubas endearment for the city she governs is established, accentuating the portrayal of Hecuba as a leader with a passion for her duties. Because themes are so broad, theyre useful for guiding your understanding of a text, particularly as youre reading it. The lengthy nature of the monologue itself enables Euripides to present his proto-feminist ideas and go against the Hellenic gendered prejudice. suggests that he still needs his own frame of reference to understand their experiences, He learns about the hardships of migration through the tragic stories of those like Rashid. It is through Andys inflammatory and infantile language towards the Mining CEO that Rayson articulates how the politics of conservation is in shades of grey. The image her (Hecuba) as an empathetic Queen is also exemplified through the ways in which she 'weep[s] for [her] burning home'. To yourself and others. After the war, Western powers (USA, UK, France) made a deal with the Soviet Union to each run half of Germany and half of Berlin. Extinction wraps an important conservation message around a unique and personal human story. Maybe there are some assumptions youve had in the past that youve since noticed or challenged.. Begin your paragraph with: Rayson's play 'Extinction' explores the dire environmental crisis facing the planet. Essentially, in the context of this play, the preferential treatment of endangered animals reflects our own biased thinking. Essentially, Raysons fixation on causal sexual relationships mirrors her own opinion that there has been a paradigm shift in how we govern our sexuality and bodies since the 1950s. If I were to write an essay on this, I would talk about Talthybius and Helen, mainly because they are both complex characters that the audience cannot fully love or hate. Our brains are practically wired to create and innovate newness. Either of these options reveals Othello to be a tragedy, however they both say different things about the characters and plot. For example, if the central theme was family or parenthood, the author might create a birds nest outside a characters room; as we watch the bird and the chicks grow throughout the text, parallels are also drawn back to the theme., You can think of symbols as motifs minus the repetition. If youre unfamiliar with this strategy, then check it out in How To Write A Killer Text Response. It was used to describe Hecuba, the former queen of Troy. Casual flings, extinguishing of life and the friction between ideological purity and functionality threatens to unhinge even seemingly robust characters such as Heather Dixon-Brown, an ecologist who preaches that she uses her head, not her heart. This essay prompt is an example of a theme-based prompt. I have ticked off that criteria.I also used to write quotes in red as well. Perhaps, this imagery is referring to how all temptation and sexual energy need to be moderated, which complements Pipers reluctance to continue their budding relationship. 2. But these four words hold the key to unlocking your English potential. The idea that there are forces beyond human control is enhanced, and Poseidon and Athenas pride proves that humans are just innocent bystanders at the mercy of the gods. Through careful manipulation of his Wife Emilia, Roderigo, Cassio, and Othello, Iago convinces Othello that Desdemona is unfaithful, sending him into an obsessive jealousy. In this scene, Hecuba is portrayed as a female leader who rules with her passion and love. serve Achilles at his tomb euphemism for death), Symbolism (e.g. Love them or hate them, everybody has a family in some shape or form. Do you agree? and tried to pair Angelo and Isabella, in order to incorporate another character into my essay (so that my entire essay wasnt just about two characters). This is why it is significant when Hecuba referred to the gods as 'betrayers' in her lamentation, implying that there is a change in attitude in time of tragedy. Basically, what we are saying is 'while our playwright is obviously pro-women, he definitely does not condone everything women do and criticise everything men do'. The memoir covers her life from there onwards, including a journey back to Europe to reconnect with the rest of her family. How might this impact someones ability to participate in different parts of life (school, work, friendships etc.)? There is some exposition of his family, including his parents Jadwiga and Mieczyslaw, his sister Danuta, and her family as well. The following comes essay topic breakdown comes from our A Killer Text Guide: Women of Troy ebook: The quote mentions long-lasting sufferings, and the prompt seems to ask who suffers, and who is responsible. In this process, their lack of control often means they lose themselves in the rough-and-tumble of it all: Becoming foreign. This can challenge him, and us, and our assumptions about what is right. How To Write a Standout Measure for Measure by William Shakespeare Essay, Women of Troy by Euripides (Don Taylor's Version), How To Approach Shakespeare: A Guide to Studying Shakespeare, How I Do Essay Plans (A Real-Life Example!). You can try my method and see if that works for you, but over time, I'm sure that you'll come to find your own way of writing plans that work for you.Next week I'm going to have another essay topic breakdown for you. Additionally, both texts deal with parent-child relationships that are affected by experiences of trauma that parents attempt to suppress. Discuss the statement. It delves deep into the heart of our own morals, choices and tightly- held convictions. Like a House on Fire is usually studied in the Australian curriculum under Area of Study 1 - Text Response. So in order to prevent that from happening, just do a plan, please! Suddenly, everything is a commodified entity with a dollar-sign attached to it. In particular, both texts take an intergenerational approach, which means that they look at how children might struggle to understand their parents psyches, and vice versa. THEME NOTES - EXTINCTION BY HANNIE RAYSON. I just keep things as short as possible because that's all I really need because a lot of the information is here, but I just need to reinforce it and ensure that it is concrete when it is on paper.So for yourself, I would recommend that you start practicing your plans. After the war, the Greek heroes slowly made their way home, however, the journey home was not easy. The VCAA provides the only official, up to date versions of VCAA publications and information about courses including the VCE. Who might've said it and what might it mean? If you want to take a stab, put it in the comment section below, but that's it for me in this week guys. Motifs of parenthood and marriage are evident front and centre right from the novels get go, as a pregnant Ashima reflects on her life as it stands in 1968. I have already mentioned how Iago code-switches by using prose to speak to Roderigo, appearing simple and laid-back, but his revelatory soliloquy in verse displays his true nature, both in the content of the speech, and the way it is presented. Still, its up to children to grapple with the burden of expectations, and to forge our own path forward from there. Which characters did you find likeable? Next, find another idea, this time of a greater complexity. You can also use the evidence from the above to justify your arguments on the cost of war. For motifs, look more for repetition. Extinction wraps an important conservation message around a unique and personal human story. And before I actually do that, I just want to preface this and tell you guys why doing a plan is so important.So I know that a plan is something that one, a lot of people just don't do, or two, they tend to sacrifice it if they feel like they don't have enough time, or three, they do a plan in their head, but they don't actually write it down on paper. Plans are one of the most ignored (and underestimated) steps in the essay writing process. Rayson examines the the insecurities peppering the contemporary lifestyle, that threaten the integrity of our outward ideologies (3). How does Erpenbeck explore the different ways people see time?. By revealing Angelo to be yet a devil, though angel on the outward side, Shakespeare critiques Puritans, perhaps branding them as hypocritical or even unhuman; those not born of man and woman. Thus, we can assume that Shakespeare would take a similar stance to most of us - that Angelo wasnt the greatest guy and that his excessive, unnatural and puritanical nature was more of a flaw than a virtue., For example, in his monologue, I would often reference how Angelo is, Isabella is shown to [kneel] by Mariana at the conclusion of the play, in order to ask for Angelos forgiveness. Because motifs are often linked to a theme, they can also serve as a reminder of that themes importance. Each of these situations place too many students time and time again in sticky situations come an English SAC or exam. Before you start reading, How To Approach Shakespeare: A Guide To Studying Shakespeare is a must read for any student studying Shakespeare. For example, just as the protagonists wife in, Despite this, Kennedy explores the social views that plague men as a result of their gender, compelling to limit their identity to meet these fatal expectations., The concept of masculinity is explored throughout the collection, often presented as an inferiority complex for many male protagonists due to their physical disabilities. Hannie Rayson uses swearing and colloquialisms as common language devices in her play. During a particularly heated exchange between Andy and Piper, the interjection of thunder intensifies rising temperament in both characters. If youre unfamiliar with this strategy, then check it out in How To Write A Killer Text Response. For example: In Rear Window, one of the neighbours berates everyone else for failing to notice their dogs death. Hes the kind of greenie whos always saying no. This history adds dimension to Erpenbecks novel. The compounding sense of surveillance during the 1950s add more meaning to the freedom symbolised by the cat, which can then be contrasted to the suppressed independence of the protagonist, who is seen invalid in a wheelchair in the next shot: By this extreme close-up shot of Jeff sleeping in his wheelchair during the opening sequence, Hitchcock immediately places the viewer in an uncomfortable position as the original and ultimate voyeur, surpassing the intimate boundaries of the protagonist. To learn more about text construction, have a read of What Is Metalanguage? However, Shakespeares revelation that Angelo is yet a devil though angel on the outward side, is perhaps Shakespeares commentary on absolute stricture being yet a facade, a flaw even. However, the ways in which she shifts the blame to Hecuba and makes her pleas preclude the audience from completely sympathising with her they, in a way, render her as a self-absorbed and repugnant character. How does Hannie Rayson explore the idea of emotion in the play Extinction? ), the Soviets built a wall around East Berlin. The texts you study are meant to be thought-provoking, so thought needs to go into what youre going to say even before you start saying it. Then it asks us how the people Richard meets challenges those assumptions. Whenever you write anything, whether it be a creative piece, a text essay or a literature discussion, keep these four words in mind: It seems a basic concept, and at the heart of it, it is! As the two individuals are unable to establish a compromise between their contrasting personalities, Kennedy suggests that this lack of cooperation is the core reason for the deterioration of their marriage, and their subsequent misery. This image of Lisa in the negative literally symbolises Jeffs negative perception of his girlfriend Lisa at the beginning of the film. Interested in only saving species that are statistically saveable'. I thought that it was one of the key things that helped me differentiate myself from other students. All characters in Extinction are motivated by self-interest. I don't discuss this strategy in detail here, but if you're interested, check out my How To Write A Killer Comparative ebook. the deaths of her children, slavery, the devastation of her city), in a way, represents the suffering of the majority of Hellenic women in times of war, which enhances Euripides condemnation of a society where military conflicts can easily be facilitated. However, Kennedy empathetically depicts the difficulty of communicating potentially painful messages to loved ones in Waiting, as the protagonist anxiously agonises over the prospect of telling her husband that she may have another miscarriage following an excruciating string of lost children., In tandem with longing, Kennedy asserts that empathy is vital to the survival and happiness of a human being. Attempts to escape from the East continued for many years until the wall came down in 1989, changing all those citizenships right back, once again virtually overnight. However, Hannie Rayson's play Extinction, explores the complexities threaded throughout the human condition that propel individuals towards the ethically ambiguous (2). Simply fill in the form below, and the download will start straight away. However, each of the words highlighted convey something meaningful within the prompt. Now, my plans I've written within five minutes, most of the thinking is actually done during reading time. Heathers internalised insecurities resurface in her heated confrontation with Harry. Using linguistic devices like the iambic pentameter as evidence shows an understanding of the text beyond the words spoken. For example, while Angelo lives alone in his garden, succumbed by brick, requiring two keys to enter, nun, Isabella, wishes to join the nuns of Saint Clare where she must not speak with men or show [her] face. Shakespeares depiction of the two, stresses their seclusion, piety and restriction from the vice plaguing Vienna.