We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. - Anyone have any information regarding the new recall notice I just received in the Ford App. The engine shudders 21N08 issue can be caused by a variety of factors, including problems with the PCM software, issues with the transmission, or a lack of proper maintenance. 10,492. Program 21N08 Pcm Reprogram Due to Engine Shudder. That said, Id still check. Hmm very interesting perhaps I should take it in and see if they will replace mine. This condition is typically caused by the buildup of deposits on the intake valves and combustion chambers. It was program #21N08 PCM Reprogram due to engine shudder. 21N08 update, So I do not know if should pull the trigger or not. Summary. 2015 - 2020 F150 - 21N08? I will see what I can do to assist with this acceleration concern. Contact Us - The dealer will reflash the powertrain control module (PCM) with new software to fix the problem. I am actually looking to buy my first F150 3.5L EcoBoost, as a used truck, but have seen a lot of posts regarding the. call your dealer and schedule an appointment. Any suggestions on what to do would be helpful? The PCM reprogramming process is often recommended as a solution to the engine shudder 21N08 issue. Sep 13, 2021. Symptoms of a bad cam phaser include a loud engine rattle or tick when the engine is running, a check engine light, and stalling at a red light. If youre experiencing engine shudder in your Ford vehicle, please bring it to your nearest dealership or service center so we can take a look and get it fixed up for you as soon as possible. The truck seems to be driving fine, although I did have some cam/crank codes last month and went to dealer where they performed TSB 21-2357 and SSM 48423. Thank you for choosing Ford! I'm late to the party but my 3.5L EcoBoost is doing this and it's getting worse. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -. This recall affects a variety of models from the 2012-2013 model years, including the Escape, Fusion, Taurus, Flex, Explorer, and F-150. The reprogram will update the engine control module (ECM) with new calibration files that are optimized for use with low deposit engines. Within a day or less, the cam phaser was rattling again and my engine was shuddering. The Program 21N08 PCM Reprogram is designed to address an engine shudder condition on certain vehicles. The F150 is the best-selling pickup truck in Americaand has been for 45 years. However, the engine shudder is quite noticeable. Honestly? For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The engine shudders 21N08 issue is a problem that causes the engine to shake or shudder. The previous 21B10 customer satisfaction update was designed to send more oil to the cam phasers. The 21B10 was designed to solve a cam phasers rattle by increasing oil flow to them, but a percentage of affected vehicles demonstrated the side effect of an engine shudder. Im going to try to use it as a point of negotiation. How about introducing yourself in the new members section and posting a pic of your truck? t seems like every other Raptor and Ford 10R80 has these issues. . 2. The vehicle is a CPO but I feel like the selling dealership didn't do a great job looking it over, so I took to a local dealer in AZ (I purchased it in UT). This PCM update is program 21B10. 21N08 is for those with engine shudders. Im a little more willing to whip out the AAA card for the extra fun factor and luxury of a Raptor. If your Ford Raptor is experiencing engine shudder, you may need to have the PCM reprogrammed. Since we know what these issues are, you are safe to buy one of these Ford models. Even with these known issues, the Ford F150 has an annual maintenance cost estimate of about $858 per year. to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. JavaScript is disabled. Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing We are talking about millions of trucks and SUVs! Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 3], Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods, Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2], Hmmm? This condition is typically caused by the buildup of deposits on the intake valves and combustion chambers. If your cam phasers are not noisy, don't fix stuff that isn't broken, obviously the earlier PCM upgrade was done that extends your warranty to 70000 miles and prorates beyond that, you don't have the shudder so not needed the 108 flash. Im getting a better understanding on this, now. #5. Yep I have been told it just means that Ford is extending the warranty in regards to cam phasers to 75k I believe. were completed so that you will be covered by the Ford warranty of 70k miles regarding cam phasers/VCT systems. So, it is certainly very uncomfortable and potentially dangerous for the drivers and passengers. This can be caused by a variety of factors, including a dirty or faulty mass air flow sensor. Plenty of better engineered options out there. The first software update was performed on my 2018 three weeks ago and did not solve the issue. The engine shudders 21N08 issue can be caused by a variety of factors, including problems with the PCM software, issues with the transmission, or a lack of proper maintenance. Hey! Im new to my 20, is this a TSB? Two versions of PCM calibrations - the regular one (21B10) and one for if you experience engine shudders with the regular one (21B10S2). I had the original work done under warranty 54k . This is a free service and should only take about an hour or so to complete. That population essentially consists of vehicles that were poorly maintained or ran low on oil. The Ford/GM 10R80 is "defective"? This issue can be uncomfortable and potentially dangerous for the driver and passengers, and it can also lead to reduced performance and fuel efficiency. Cookie Policy - They will uninstall and re-install the program using specialized equipment and software. I'm assuming this is like a TSB. make a purchase, we may earn a small commission. might be auto on/off that truck comes equipped with, There is a new Recall specifically for this. Id like to know whats causing this as well. If Im not in the garage creating content, youll find me outside, running, canoeing, and traveling. Program #21N08 PCM REPROGRAM DUE TO ENGINE SHUDDER; Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction Program issued. The 21N08 update is pretty new like just a couple of weeks old, so I do not know if that will fix the engine shudder or the cold start rattle. Engine shudder is a vibration that can be felt in the vehicle's engine, and it is usually caused by an imbalance . Recall letters were mailed to each affected vehicle owner On September 27, 2021. Dealer called and said bill would be $1200. Y'all better read that letter again. Calling the dealer when I get back and having it looked at thanks for this info. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Unfortunately, many users reported a return of the symptoms after the 21B10 reflash. Program #21N08 PCM REPROGRAM DUE TO ENGINE SHUDDER; . The following errors occurred with your submission, Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans. 5.7 Hemi Lifter Failure Symptoms Causes & Fixes, Lomax Tonneau Cover problems & troubleshooting, Truxedo Sentry CT Problems & Troubleshooting, UnderCover Armor Flex Problems & Troubleshooting, Retrax Bed Cover Problems & Troubleshooting, Peragon Bed Cover Problems & Troubleshooting. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. 14. I was looking at another truck earlier and noticed on the Carfax it showed a "Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction Program Issued". If you know how to fix it cheaply, then you might be able to get yourself a deal. Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2], Positive Experience: Third Party Warranty Repair, Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods, Hmmm? Advertising - The truck. The goal of a manufacturer customer satisfaction program is to increase customer loyalty and repeat business. I had 21B10 done last week on my '19. So i guess every 30k miles i am looking at $1200 bill..crazy this is not covered under warranty!!! So you need to verify with your dealership with your VIN that the recall repairs have been done. This site allows me to test new tools, piddle around in the garage, and share the insights I get from flipping cars and houses. By updating the software, the PCM can better control the engine and transmission, which can help to eliminate the engine shudder 21N08 issue. My goal is to empower more people to be self-sufficient. The 21N08 PCM reprogramming is due to an engine shudder that was noticed by some customers. In some cases, this can lead to a crash. Generally, the timing chain, chain tensioners and water pump will be replaced at the same time, driving costs up to about $3,000. Hey all, I am looking to buy my first full size truck and very interested in a used F-150 3.5L EcoBoost, all because of being good in gas consumption and the amazing towing capability. Recall 21B10 is a campaign by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to recall certain models of childrens bicycles. Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans . Ford Motor Company will provide a no-cost, one-time repair under program 21N08 to return the vehicle's PCM to the prior calibration. @Stevec1129 I haven't had the chance to try this yet, but I'm really hoping this new recall I see for my truck fixes the issue. Sounds good to me. The following errors occurred with your submission, Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans, Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation, Suggestions, Comments & Questions about the Forum, Send a private message to VelocityBlue2020, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Privacy Statement - While there may be other potential remedies for the engine shudder 21N08 issue, such as replacing transmission components or performing other repairs, the PCM reprogramming process is often the most effective and efficient solution. If it is, theyll likely recommend getting the pcm reprogrammed. Generally, Fords are extremely reliable vehicles and are cheap to repair. Had my cam phasers done back in July. I am confused about this. This removes the shudder. Contact Us - When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. The transmission is responsible for transmitting power from the engine to the wheels. Just extended the coverage. Manage Preferences - This makes it easy for them to compare symptoms, find solutions and unlock the best-hidden features in their trucks. I read somewhere that adding an octane booster for a couple of tanks will help. and if so an updated calibration will be applied. Contact Us - This new customer satisfaction program is designed to reverse engine shudder caused by this previous PCM calibration. If your vehicle is equipped with the 3.6L engine and has less than 80,000 miles, it may be eligible for a free of charge power control module (PCM) reprogramming. There is a recall, Mine has the same issue with the shudder after that recall. Thanks! The cause of engine shudder can vary, but its often the result of an imbalance in the engine itself. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. In some cases, the PCM may need to be reprogrammed in order to fix the problem. Pcv Valve Ford 4.2 Liter V6 Engine Diagram . Terms of Service - Or, if your vehicle has been in a collision, the impact could have damaged the PCM. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.