Aside from the logos, each era of manufacturing included certain identifying traits such as the hardware (tuners, knobs, plates, etc. It's serialnumber is stamped in the headstock (969062) According to bluebookinc.com it has to be a 1968 model, though Wikipedia says that the L6S Deluxe was build between 1974 and 1979. The 1st digit indicates the year of manufacture for the 4 & 5 digit serial numbers, these were used from 1989-1999. Oops, looks like you forgot something. Hurricane/Spitfire/etc Tuning Machine Ratio? Dhangarwadi is a Village in Sengaon Taluka in Hingoli District of Maharashtra State, India. The dot inlay neck was produced between 1975-80 so I'm thinking you guitar was made in 1975. Around a third of L6-S (Custom) guitars were black with an ebony fretboard, still with a maple body and neck. The dot inlay neck was produced between 1975-80 so I'm thinking you guitar was made in 1975. 15 Options For All Budgets, Best Bass Pre Amp 2023: An Expert Opinion, Best Ukulele Brands 2022: 5 Affordable Deals, Beginners Guide To The 5 Best Ukulele Strings, Best Beginner Mandolin: Everything You Need To Know, What Is A Guitalele? ex 3 1234. There are many accessories and extras guitarists need from time to time. Gibson L6 "Midnight Special" Rare Vintage "Secret" Guitar, 1974-76, 1976 Gibson L6-S Deluxe in Tobacco Sunburst 7 3lbs, 1976 Gibson L6-S Custom paint / Relic / Di Marzio Super Distortion, Haunted Gibson '76 L6-S Electric Guitar with Original Case, RARE Vintage 1980s Gibson L-6S Custom Silverburst 24 Fret Electric Guitar + Case, 1977 Gibson L6-S Electric Solidbody Guitar Natural With Original Hardshell Case, Gibson L6-S Natural Wood Finish w / Bigsby Bridge - Clone, Gibson L6-S DELUXE Natural HH Maple Body Vintage W / OHSC, Gibson L6-S Custom, 24 Frets (Gibson? The first letter in this sequence is the year. A-28123 = Gibson ES-295 1998 123rd in the sequence. There were minute changes to which letters were connected in the font between 1961 to 1981, but the main logo had the same look. I have a couple of good references on Gibson serial numbers. ), All Original USA Made, 1978, 1978 Gibson L6-S Natural w / Block Inlays, Gibson Vintage 1973 L6-S Bill Lawrence Pickup 1972 1974 1975 1970's, Gibson Vintage 1970's L6-S SG Harmonica Bridge Adjustment 1972 1973 1974 1975 76, Find more Gibson L6S for sale at vintageguitarsforsale.co, 1968 Shaftesbury 'Electric Guitars' catalog, 1970 Rose-Morris 'Exciting Electrics Wonderful Westerns Celebrated Classics' catalog, 1971 Rose-Morris 'Exciting Electrics Wonderful Westerns' catalog, 1965 Gretsch 'For the Spectacular Sound of the Times' guitar and amp catalog, Guitar Repair: fixing fret buzz and sharp fret ends, 1966 Hagstrom 'worlds fastest playing neck' catalog (Merson USA), 1971 Gibson Les Paul Recording guitar owners manual, 1971 Gibson Les Paul Triumph bass owners manual. Potentiometer codes are always helpful. I played one of the brand new L6S Gibsons back in 74 when I was a poor student - didn't get to own one until a few years ago when I found one at Guitar Center and had it imported to the UK. https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/1983-studio-vs-1994-studio-lite-vs-1995-studio.345674/, Thanks for dropping by. 9 xxx = 1989 (4 digit number beginning with "9" used only in 1989) Some serials were only 3 digits long. From 1943 to 1947, the logo was a thick golden script, known as the banner logo. Please post any comments, particularly bugs in the user . Youd have to check the guitar has the correct measurements, which can be found on Gibson.com. Even though I've seen Paul Stanley, Robin Zander and Bob Mothersbaugh play these things, I say, "Gibson L6-S" and get nothing but blank looks. The original thin script was replaced with a thicker font on higher-end models in the mid-30s, and across the entire lineup by the end of the decade. Purchased from the original owner. The Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide 2023 is out now, vintageguitarandbass.com 2004-2023 | terms and conditions | donate. Terms & Conditions | Registered Trademarks. It was a Bill Lawrence guitar, and he didn't start working at Gobsin until 1972 or thereabouts. The consistency around this stopped during WWII and resumed in the early 1950s. 2. Once it reaches 699, the next guitar stamp goes back to 500. The image features Carlos Santana (of latin rock band Santana) playing the L6-S Custom. Disagree with something written above? Because the L6-S lets you color your sound any way you want with tone and mid-range control and a six-position sound switch. The guitar was actually designated as an "L6 Midnight Special" by Gibson note; the absence of the "S". As always, use our decoder to find out the guitar in question. Acoustic & Electric Low Priced Options, The Fender CD 60SCE Electro/Acoustic Guitar Review, Best 1/2 Size Guitar: Acoustic/Nylon/Electric Guitars For 4-12 Year Olds. It is what it is. 25.1C to 31.8C. I have inherited a custom Gibson Hummingbird with ivory and gold keys, ivory pegs and ivory and mother of pearl inlays on the neck. The L6-S and L6-S Custom are identical. It follows that potential scammers can use this knowledge to try to trick unsuspecting buyers. Guild Guitars Serial Numbers. Overall, I would rate the condition a solid 7 5 out of 10. At the time of its introduction, the L6-S Custom was simply called the L6-S, not gaining the "Custom" badge until later, when the simpler L6-S Deluxe was introduced. Start new topic; Recommended Posts. The batch number, day number were completely done away with leaving a very simple method. The following letters would be found with your serial number between the years 1935 & 1942: A,B,C,D,DA,E,G,H,Ex,F,FA,xG,xK,xW,xxE. Year=2017 Serial=1234567. I think I got it all right more of a process of ilimination figuring this one out. Script logo was used on the original prototype that Carlos Santana used for his consultation with Gibson, but we've never seen it on a production version (the first prototype had no serial number, but this one does - Weird / Please . Here are more. [1] The idea was to make a "multi-sound system" under a very tight budget. A real nice example, nice and light and resonant. I have this one with serial 659508, so it is 1970-1972 based on my research, but I want to nail it down. February 2, 2010 in Gibson USA, Where could I find LS6-s # 963461 , thanks. Three more outrageous designs were brought to the forefront with the Flying V, the Explorer, and the Moderne. 1974 was the only year with reasonable sales, despite the high profile endorsement of Carlos Santana, Al DiMeola and oth The Essential Guide. According to bluebookinc.com it has to be a 1968 model, though Wikipedia says that the L6S Deluxe was build between 1974 and 1979. This is the serial number: 94046571. thanks. Price Guide * Excludes Brand New, B Stock, Fair, Poor, and Non-functioning. GOOD LUCK. To reveal an accurate date of the serial numbers below, add your details to our Gibson decoder. National Highways Reachable To Sengaon. Archtop models had a stamp on the inside of the F hole, and the solid-body models displayed the serial number on the rear of the headstock. Number of Frets: 24. The seven-digit number that probably starts with 137 is found on the back of the pot can.[/quote']. Some flattop guitars of this era started to omit the word "The" from the inlay. From pretty and wa As seen in the video is a 1978 Gibson L6-S in Natural with Block Inlays with the original case. The following codes relate to a range of Gibson SG, Firebird, and Les Paul custom or reissue guitars. Heres 5 You Should know About, Best Kids Guitar 2022: Complete Guide To Finding The Right Guitar, Best Baritone Guitar. Have fun! Let me know how it goes! My original prototype had a beautiful, elegantly-shaped pickguard, but somebody changed that too. This makes relying entirely on the physical features of a guitar potentially misleading. For example, the serial number 90237XXX corresponds to a production date of 1/23/97. No ebony fretboard model is on sale. Many serial numbers were crossed over giving us a choice of two, and sometimes three years. Gibson decided to go into an agreement with five financers creating Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Manufacturing Company. Privacy Policy | Vintage original 1977 Gibson L6-S in original Natural finish. Gibson regularly produced lists of constituent components for each of their guitars; this first list (left) was produced in the 1977 Gibson replacement parts catalogue, at a time that the 'Custom' was used in other Gibson literature (the January 1977 price list for example) - although note that it is not used here. For 1975, the first two digits were 99. Must Have Guitar Setup Tools For Repair & Maintenance, Best Guitar Stand 2022: The Essential Buyers Guide, Best Guitar Wall Hanger: 5 Trustworthy Guitar Wall Mounts, The Very Best Single Coil Pickups For All Your Guitar Needs, The 10 Very Best Humbucking Pickups For All Your Guitar Needs, Best audio interface for guitar. You can join a Gibson or Vintage based guitar blog and send pictures of your acoustic online. [more], Gibson L6-S Custom - Santana Calls it His Rainbow (1974)Actually, it's the Gibson L6-S. The L6-S Custom has a six way rotary selector switch, complete with "chicken head" pointer knob. Currency: We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice. Serial # 129202 Can anyone help me out with date and data on it? 7 Options For The Home Player, 6 Best Headphones For Guitar Amp: Theres More To It Than You Think, The 8 Best Guitar Accessories And Gift Ideas, Best Tablet For Musicians 2022. ex 1234 A & 1234 A5. What Is An Audio Interface? Gibson stopped dotting the i in their logo on some of their instruments. (Ver. September 9, 2011 in Gibson USA. A Complete Guide To The Best 5, You Can Get A Vintage Tone. Decode. It retained the L-5S body shape, still had maple body / neck (although the L-5S was curly maple, rather than close grain) and an . louis. The 5 Best Guitar Books: Must Have Books For Every Skill Level 2021, The Best Way To Learn Guitar: New York Guitar School, https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/1983-studio-vs-1994-studio-lite-vs-1995-studio.345674/. According to Gibson data available online the guitar in question was built from the famous Kalamazoo, Michigan. ?s first ever! Some out of necessity, or maybe we just fancy something fresh and new to play with. I have owned four L6S Gibsons over the years and all had the clear decal with gold serial number applied to the back of the headstock that was used . This page was last edited on 25 December 2022, at 17:46. Skip to main content. Based on your location, we've changed your settings: Shipping Region: There are some scratches, dings and wear on the back. [more], Need the value of your guitar? 2=ES-295, 3=1963 ES-335 (block inlays), 4=ES-330, 5=ES-345 & 9=1959 ES-335 (dot inlays). ), All Original, Made in USA in 1978. A FON usually consisted of a 3-, 4-, or 5-digit batch number followed by one or two other numbers in most cases. My 1st Gibson was a wine red L-6s Deluxe - I wish I still had it now, of course. - From 1975-1977 the number is typically found on a decal on the back of the headstock. New York, 100**, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. it got totally modified, it has EMG's in it and the wiring is definitely NOT original. Please, ** Vintage 1970's Gibson Harmonica Bridge Adjustment Studs 1970's *, 1973 Vintage Gibson Bill Lawrence L6-S Pickup 1970's, GIBSON L6-S SPECIAL Solid Body ELECTRIC GUITAR w / Orig GIBSON CASE. It does have the made in USA and serial numbers. 3 Go Head to Head. Terms & Conditions | Registered Trademarks. The serial number is 55620. 1961 The Gibson solid-body designs continued to be a roaring success. The first 3 position switch was a pickup selector while the second was a sound selector -- position one was for Les Paul , position two for Strat, and position three for Tele sound.Well, I had to stay within the budget, and we ended up with a six-position rotary switch, pickups with large humbucker covers, a stock Schaller bridge with a "stop" tailpiece, and a clumsy-looking body. Two "Tar Back" pickups (rating 6.4k Bridge and 5.8k in the neck) with non-standard 3 adjustment screws (one on each side and 1 in front or back) and completely unique pentagon (5 sided) Mounting Rings. A GREAT guitar - you can download the serial numbers off the Gibson site and match your serial number into the range. Dreadnought Vs Concert: 8 Beautiful Guitars, But What Are The Differences? He's recently sung on radio and worked as a full-time guitarist/singer. This was the model Paul Stanley of Kiss used from December 1974 to June 1975. Limited edition Gibsons such as the serial number PAGE xxx, are signature guitars from great players over the years. 12 Reliable Options, The Best Clip On Guitar Tuner & Top Pedal Tuner Reviews, Focusrite Scarlett VS Clarett Interface. as far as dating it i've only gotten as far as seeing in the vintage gibson pages where they state the sales figures for the l6 s that there were only 16 cherry sunbursts produced during the entire production run and all of them in 1975. not sure if that is true or not. 6 Digits in total. Serial numbers are weird and were also re-used through the decades. Don't know what you have. This makes it especially important to first identify the general era during which your instrument was made before pinning down the exact date of manufacture with a serial number. Based on the serial number the guitar appears to have been manufactured November 21, 1978 in Nashville, TN. The neck is straight with no issues and plays great. A variation of letters was used to decipher the early production of Kalamazoo, MI Gibson guitars. Some 2,000 L6-S Midnight Special instruments were produced, with maple body, and bolt-on 3 piece maple neck with a maple fingerboard and a maple face on the head-stock, these Colors were available; Natural Maple, Wine Red & Ebony. Please check the fields highlighted in red. The last three (or four as of 2005) digits signify the location of production and batch number, respectively, but this information isnt necessary to accurately dating your instrument. It's the best damn guitar you ever played.". You can add any model of Gibson guitar, whether that's a Les Paul, a Flying V, or a Hummingbird. 7 of the Very Best For Every Skill Level, Ibanez Acoustic Guitar Review. The condition is very good for the age with some usual playing wear. Further amazing releases saw the worlds first robotic technology-based guitar. Learn More. Gibson serial numbers that begin with an 'A' or "B' followed by a hyphen are from the ES collection Reissues, since 1995. This website uses cookies to personalise content and adverts, to provide social media features, and to analyse traffic. Maybe when I sell it, I should describe it as the "mystery guitar". Made in USA, serial number 921683. ?s first ever! Sold Out. Though bluebookinc.com says that guitars from the 70's have " Made in USA . He's also got an unhealthy obsession with vintage VW Campervans. Gibson L6-S (We have only seen block inlays used in first year) with ultra rare "script style" headstock logo. *Authority Guitar Top Tip: Press ctrl & F then add the beginning of your serial number/guitar model in the search bar to find your details quicker on our extensive list below. Authority Guitar has collated a mountain of data to give you the history by using your Gibson Serial Number. Finishes; Natural Maple, Ebony, Silver Burst, Tobacco Sunburst & Cherry Sunburst. He produced the very first instrument, which would eventually lead to becoming the largest guitar manufacturer in the world. Photos are always good, as specific features change on Gibson models during their run. The L6-S Custom remained in the catalog in 1980 and was still being made in the Nashville plant. [2] This provides more pleasant selections, but eliminates the previous more radical special-purpose settings of the original Bill Lawrence design. The L6-S Custom was designed by Bill Lawrence with 'Q-system' electronics (short for EQ), somewhat similar to those in the Gibson Ripper. Definitely underrated. The first instruments crafted by Orville Gibson were a family of acoustics and mandolins. The original frets are in Gibson L6-S Natural Wood Finish w / Bigsby Bridge - Clone. The Schecter Hellraiser C 1 and 6 High-Quality Affordable Alternatives, Gibson Les Paul Vs SG. I haven't had any luck using a serial number lookup to find the year it was made. ), 0=Location (0=Nashville, 5=Memphis), 4260= Production Rank. This website uses cookies to personalise content and adverts, to provide social media features, and to analyse traffic. Maybe I should send my photos of the L6-S to Gruhn? and, off course, it plays like butter. Please post any comments, particularly bugs in the user feedback I had no interest in them by then, mine had long been traded for something else. Still to this day, all Gibson instruments are installed with the Ted McHugh design. This guitar has the serial number 00143450, and this dates it to 1976. i also just aquired another l6-s but its a franken l6. The new one has some differences, the pickups are different, but the character of the guitar comes mainly from the use of maple, so it's pretty close, and the necks on the 3 old ones are all a little different from each other anyway. Josh "Josh 2" Hager of Devo uses a L6-S. ok, haven't gotten around to taking pictures and uploading and all that jazz. or 75? Your purchases help youth music programs get the gear they need to make music. 6. Scale Length: 24.75" Show More: Similar Products. it does sound kinda cool though. 1,449.00. Learn every inch of your guitar, 5 Tips On How to Stay Creative With Songwriting on Guitar, 6 Tips: How To Get the Best Sound When Playing Guitar at Home, 7 Pro Tips for Playing Guitar and Singing at the Same Time, The Mystery Of The Fretboard. 2002 is the 50th Anniversary of the Les Paul. Towards the end of World War II, Chicago Musical Instruments saw the chance to take the Gibson brand to millions. Date Your Guitar. This guitar is in good condition, and in perfect working order. Neither were anything like as successful (commercially) as the L6-S Custom. As seen in the video is a 1978 Gibson L6-S in Natural with Block Inlays with the original case.