Thanks for sharing these recipes I love them. Never have heard of that technique before. In the over 40 years I have been making these chicken n dumplings I have never ventured away from my Grandmas recipe for the dumplings, so I honestly do not know how they would fare substituting butter for the shortening. Return chicken to pan. We cut the dough into squares. You can also boil a chicken or chicken breasts for the recipe. It sure made me smile! 2 Chop onion. Your recipe for chicken and dumplings was spot on with the way my Grandmother made the dish. Roll out and cut with pizza cutter, knife, or scissors. Heat the broth back up on medium high heat. My Grandma Annie made this recipe but we called it chicken and pastry. the dumpling were soft and perfect!!!! My grandmother was from Rocky Mount, NC, and she called it pastry, as well. Have a great day! Makes me want to make a batch right now. It's hard to beat a big bowl of chicken and dumplings when comfort food is in order. I have been making this recipe for the past 3 winters! Have a great day! I love making chicken and dumplings here in New Hampshire! I made this recipe tonight and it was AMAZING! Hope you have a GREAT day! Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt in medium size bowl. Hope you have a wonderful day. My mother in law made them with beef as well as chicken. Perfect for rainy days, but we only make it 1-2 times per year. Im so glad I came across this recipe on Pinterest and decided to read the blog and all the comments, too. Thats it! Im so glad you enjoyed it, Theresa! Add cream soup to chicken and continue to . The information you provide on this form will ONLY be used to provide you with newsletters. Im 71 and no one seems to want to carry this tradition on. I made this on Saturday afternoon. Go with your mood on this, just get your chicken cooked, then set it aside. He too used broth from the cooked chicken liquid. Hi, Dawn! Theres nothing better than having a big pot of Grandmas Southern-Style Chicken n Dumplings available to slurp on during the cold Fall and Winter seasons! Thank you for your kind words about my hubby and myself. At what point do you put the mixture in at the end? They both also cut the strips across into squares or diamonds. Have a wonderful day! Theyre a family favorite around our home! Have a great evening! My mom made the noodle type dumplings when I was growing up. I have been wanting to make chicken and dumplings like my mom and grandma. Reduce heat so that your chicken stock is just barely barely barely boiling and drop dumpling pieces in one at a time. Making some for Christmas get together and wanted to have as much ready as possible so when we got to Nannas and got ready to fix them I didnt have to do dumplins and all then. Have a great day, Suzanne and thank you so much for taking the time to write! I used to help my Granny make this all the time when I was growing up. Hope you have a great day! Although I love chicken and dumpling made this way, i like pork dumpling even better when made this way. Thank you for sharing the southern style dumpling. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Thanks for writing, Latricia! If drying the noodles a bit, just make sure they have a light dusting of flour to keep them from sticking to each other, then keep them covered, if possible. HELP!!! Ingredients 1 Tbsp Olive Oil 1 medium Yellow Onion, diced 3 medium Carrots, peeled and sliced 2 cloves Garlic, peeled and minced 8.5 oz can Sweet Peas, drained 1 lb Rotisserie Chicken, meat only without skin I think the only way you can truly learn to make chicken and dumplings is by watching the grandmother or mother make them, and my mother never made these rolled out dumplings. 1 / 12. The only thing I do that is different is add homemade broth instead of hot water to the flour. If I got vegetable shortening, I would never use it for anything else. Tear strips and drop into boiling broth. Thank you for writing. I truly hope you will enjoy it. First off, CONGRATULATIONS on almost 50 years of marriage! This looks delicious! Sure hope you will give these Southern-style chicken n dumplings a try. Good morning! I always use a whole chicken, plus add more breasts depending on the company!!! How much chicken broth should I use. I cant find her recipe anywhere, but I know she used to dry them for several hours before using. These were very heavy and almost noodle like texture. Now I have friends from the east coast and we have big disagreements on the best dumplings! Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Have a great evening! As noted below, if you add extra flour to the pie dough, it will thicken the broth perfectly. Thank you for sharing. Thankfully, today chicken is a staple in many peoples diets. Incidentally, in Texas we have access in most freezer sections of grocer stores to very usable packages of slick dumplings. We sometimes leave the chicken out and eat it as our meat since we dont like turkey. I LOVE that you have such wonderful memories of your Moms cooking, Sam. Cover; cook on LOW 4 to 6 hours Printable Recipe Card I bone the chicken (and often freeze it in advance) and boil the skin and bones in the stock. She gave everyone options for what they wanted. Good luck on this entire endeavor. The broth that I use from cooking the chicken, (if measured out) would be approximately 4 quarts or so. Cook for about ten minutes after the last dumplings are added. Good morning, Cathy! By the way I grew up eating them with cornbread, as well! Why ? Thank you for your kind note, Karen! Take care, and have a great day. Your email address will not be published. You might even enjoy a few other soups I have here on the blog, like Albondigas Soup, Chicken Wild Rice and Bacon Soup, or any of the soups you can find in the Recipe Index at the top of the page. Meanwhile, cut dough into strips, approximately 1-inch wide. I will be using a rotisserie chicken and chicken broth. Your email address will not be published. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until a toothpick inserted into center of a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering), about 10 minutes. I also love the flat dumplings and the puffballs too. 7 Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Hope you have success with, and enjoy the chicken n dumplings once you have the opportunity to make them! 2 teaspoon (s) baking powder. Looking forward to making some for myself! Im glad you might have a use for the recipe my Grandma, if she was still living, would be thrilled to know so many people are seeing this recipe! Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool. Copyright 2008-2023 Southern Plate All Rights Reserved Site design by Emily White Designs. I still make them that way!! Boiled too long? My grandmother made this and called it chicken and noodles. They have a noodle like consistency floating in a creamy gravy with bites of shredded chicken. Im eager to try this recipe. I made chicken and dumplings for Sunday meal and it was delicious. othing is better than Southern Chicken and Dumplings! Have a great week. Like a lot of things, in my family, every recipe was passed down first-hand by teaching, and no one ever bothered to actually write-down our family recipes. Thanks for posting. Chicken and Dumplings is an all time favorite Southern comfort food meal. I do have shortening though so Im going to try this method this weekend! Divide dough into 3 equal sized balls, then let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Have a great day! Hope you have a wonderful day, and thank you for writing. It thickens the broth without adding the slurry. The chicken bouillion cubes will help to add some good chicken flavor back into the broth. Let sit cover bowl with damp towl. Bring to a quick boil, then continue cooking chicken for one hour. If there is enough broth you can cook these with any type of meat. Thank you for writing. Currently you have JavaScript disabled. I just found this recipe looking for a good recipe not to far from my mothers and this is it. We recommend our users to update the browser. Cooked them uncovered for about 12-15 min til they were cooked through. We have slider recipe also from my great grandmother. Have a great day. Thanks, also for the new twist on the recipe using pork. Great tip! Cover kettle with lid. This may seem odd- but I always wanted to know how to make these dumplings, the kind my grandma made in W Va. She also made something called tomato dumplings- the dumplings looked just like yours but it was fresh tomatoes I have no idea how she made it . Heat olive oil in Dutch oven or heavy saucepan over medium heat. Have a great weekend! Blessings, Love, JB. Thanks for writing! Nothing I ever made came close to Maw-Maws dumplings. We feel very blessed to have journeyed this crazy life together! Thanks for taking time to write! I buy them when they are on sale, so I dont often check how much they weigh. , thawed and cleaned (remove and discard giblets from cavity), , celery, and onion (OPTIONAL-to flavor the chicken broth). It looks delicious, and I cant wait to try it! Cut or pull off all the meat from the chicken, and place into a large bowl. Hey, theres never anything wrong with taking the easy way out and using a good rotisserie chicken, right? It was one of the very first things I saw this morning when I checked on the ol blog. Several people have told me that this recipe is really good. That, to me, is a win-win. This is a family tradition for us and now that mama is gone my daughter and I enjoy making them. Thanks. You might want to taste test it (if adding water to broth), to see if the broth will need additional salt or pepper, but you should be good to go. Thank you for sharing this. Have a great day! But then, I thought, Im gonna continue to cook on a low temperature for another good 20 or 30 minutes and then I tried to hurry myself because I couldnt stop eating! Ran up on this while searching for a good chicken and dumpling recipe like my GrandMa used to make in when I was just a kid. Then return it to the slow cooker. Have a fantastic rest of your weekend, and thank you for taking the time to write! Hi JB, My husband and I have been married for 50 years this coming August 22nd, and for almost 50 years I have been trying to replicate his grandmothers chicken n dumplings just by experimenting. Hi, is there any way to make the dumplin dough ahead of time by a couple hours? They are found here in the frozen foods section. Thank you for taking time to write. Just salt, flour and chicken broth. How long do you cook the dumbpling or how do you know when there done? This is how my mom from east Texas made her chicken and dumplings too. What a great flavor they give to most anything. I wish inhad a recirding of her telling me her recipe- no cup of this or tsp/T of that- Loved her Chicken Dumplings! I know it will turn out just great. These ARE dumplings. Now, take each layer and tear it into three pieces. Ive always done it the old times way that Maam taught me. Perhaps someone on this comment thread has done that and can add info. I made this but added s bit more veggies than the recipe I drained and blended them in a blender and put back in for more flavor and because my girls wont eat it if the see them. I also really helps to flavor the dumplings. , to taste (approx. Good morning, Ching. Glad to hear this tip! Reduce heat; cover and simmer until chicken is tender, 45-60 minutes. Arent our Grandmothers recipes good? My grandmother (born 1898) grew up in Shelby Co., TX, and lived her adult life in Logansport, LA. Ive never head of them before. Thanks so much for taking time to drop me a note! Have a fantastic day! Hope someone commenting here might have an answer for you as to a recipe. Some people use Pillsbury biscuits but i use Bisquick but there must be a good old fashioned way to make biscuit dumplings. Thanks for writing! It is a favorite! EVERYONE requested it. However, didnt wanna mess up the dumplins either. Granny's Chicken and Dumplings - You only need four ingredients to make chicken and dumplings just like Granny's. The secret to making light, fluffy, and perfectly cooked dumplings is to make sure that really good chicken stock is at a rolling boil. I have never made chicken n dumplings nor have I ever eaten them. LOL! (She had me when she was 40 years old)! Its his favorite soup, and he totally loved that meal! I put my chicken in the crockpot, debone, then boil the skin and bones for extra broth. YOu can roll the pastry out and wrap in some foil or plastic wrap. I think the back bone meat is delicious and with dumplings? Once the broth is boiling, carefully drop the dumplings a few at a time into the boiling broth, continuing until all the dumplings are in the pot. Takes a bit longer, but well worth the extra step. Hi, Melissa!Thank you for taking the time to write. Thank you! Stewing chicken. Have a GREAT day! This is exactly the way my mom made chicken and dumplings except instead of using water to make the dough she used some the broth of broth that the chicken was boiled in, that gives the dumplings a lot more flavor. Hi, Kasey! Pour the broth through a sieve to strain out any veggies, particles, etc. Thanks for your note, Cassandra! I do ham, chicken and turkey. My mom is also a wonderful homemade, simple but delicious cook! This recipe tastes just like I remember. This was my birthday dinner for many years (Im 76 now) Havent a clue where that name came from~=). Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly; season with salt and pepper. My mother and grandmother were from south Texas. Definitely brings back some fond memories every time I make it. You can reheat the dish either on the stove or in the microwave. A Southern favorite, easy chicken and dumplings is basically a thick and creamy chicken stew paired with pillow-like dumplings. This easy chicken and dumplings recipe, like most Southern comfort food, may have evolved out of necessity but they stuck around because they are delicious! Then she would put them back in the boiling broth to finish cooking. Took no time at all to prepare. Have a great day. I havent made chicken and dumplins for about 20 years. Their recipes hold such a special place in our memories. They lick the bowl clean to show how much they appreciate this comfort food. Have a GREAT day! I had them at Cracker Barrel a few weeks ago and have been craving them ever since!. Hope you enjoy this yummy soup! Cook chicken breasts in approx. Going with at least 4 quarts of broth would be a safe bet for the amount of dumplings the recipe makes. When ready to serve, ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve with a big piece of crusty French bread on the side. Thanks for writing! Hot water and more flour is added and mixture is firmed up into a large dough ball. This recipe is almost IDENTICAL to hers and its amazing. Thanks for writing. Now Im hungry for homemade noodles. I usually add a LOT of pepper to ours. (At this point I divide the chicken pieces in half, and freeze half for use in another meal). I orefer making it with the whole chicken, etc like the original recipe but its good either way. Chicken and dumplings is a soup-like dish that consists of chicken, a thick broth, and dumplings made out of biscuit dough. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the chicken n dumplings! NC southern girl here! My family loves chicken and dumplings and the more dumplings the better we like it! A big bowl of this filling hot soup is comfort food at it's very best! Hi, BJ! I chose your recipe because it did not have any baking powder or soda in. We use MailerLite as our e-mail service platform. Back in the day, chicken was a treat and not something offered or even available on a regular basis. As the weather starts to turn cold, this recipe will be made. Excited to make these tonight here in deep East Texas, as the weather is *almost* cold, not hot anyways ? You are basically making a pie crust. Thanks for writing, Laura! Store your chicken and dumplings in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. Hi, Kathleen! Ive made them hundreds of times over the years, but NEVER have had leftovers (after a few days) to try freezing. Thanks for the handy information, and tips! Were in Nacogdoches, The Oldest Town in Texas. My aunt would leave the chicken out to make a delicious chicken salad on the side to be served with the chicken and dumplings! It made an awesome stock! Sounds like an interesting tip, Sally! Water to completely cover chicken in a large stockpot. Good morning, Lea! I did have the heat a little past medium so they would boil, didnt stir bc they would disintegrate, I did cover when I was done. Thanks for writing! I cant wait to try this soup! Take care, and stay safe. Add chicken pieces (approx. By the way, our local fast food restaurant sells a small container of dumplings for $5.00. I did a very quick search online and found a recipe the make homemade egg noodles (without shortening), that might work (cant vouch for them since I have never tried this particular recipe, though. My mom always used a certain kind of chicken and for the life of me I cant remember..something about a fatter chicken? Instagram: jbatthegratefulgirlcooks. Hi, Cyndee! But, I remember the meal she made with them was a pork roast and great northern beans I think! You just make an old-fashioned chicken and dumpling recipe your family will LOVE! Thanks for writing. No matter what its called its Delicious. Prepare dumplings and set them aside for a few minutes. Bring to boil; then reduce the heat to medium-low or low, so that the liquid is at a simmer. Serve the soup, and refrigerate any leftovers. (this helps to thicken broth a bit). So its ready to drop in the pot to cook? Im so glad you wrote the blog and explained everything in detail. (-) Information is not currently available for this nutrient. These look and sound so much like my East Texas great grandmothers Im thinking we might be related! So I can hardly wait to make these. If you are using the 7.5oz package of 10 biscuits (found in the U.S) then use all 10, cut each biscuit into 6. Your memory of your Grandma bribing you with chicken n dumplings made me giggle. Add 1/2 cup HOT water and 1/2 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons of flour to the mixture. On a floured surface, roll out dough into a 17-in. It was easy and I will not be buying anymore frozen dumplings unless I decide to be lazy and dont feel like rolling out the dough. Cut until p size balls may need uptp 1/4 c milk to form ball. I make both of them. In any case, as far as Im concerned, this IS the ultimate comfort food. My mom was the best cook EVER and this is also great, thank you. The only thing I changed was to swap the vegetable shortening for chicken fat (from cooking the chicken) and a bit of leftover bacon grease for extra flavor. She learned that from her Croatian mother! Thanks for taking the time to write. Happy Thanksgiving! I grew up on it. Home Dishes & Beverages Soups Broth & Stock Recipes. These are the dumplings I grew up with in Indiana, not the puffy kind. My Mom makes it whenever she visits I try to make it but it just never tastes as good as Grandma/ or Mamas. Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool. Have a great day! Thanks for posting! They will never know what hit them! He didnt use shortening. I sure do hope you enjoy this recipe for chicken n dumplings. I did use the carrot, onion, and celery as well as several bullion cubes while cooking the chicken. They usually used beef though.Iblove the pieces on top that stuck together. 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper). Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. Thanks for taking a minute to write I sure do hope you enjoyed the chicken n dumplings!