It seems to be quite rare. And it is one of one the benefits of buying a restored skillet. Most manufacturers produced skillets from number 1 to 20. Oitomi teapots and kettles (history, manufacture, use and care). However, I have spent many hours creating this identification guide. From handmade pieces to vintage treasures ready to be loved again, Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. Griswold made skillets with the large block logo and a flat bottom between 1930-1939. These were all a piece from the newlyweds starter cookware set. With powerful tools and services, along with expert support and education, we help creative entrepreneurs start, manage, and scale their businesses. Luckily it is lightweight! It might sound odd, but the more used the skillet is, the better it is for cooking. That being said, I would not look past an Erie skillet just because it has a little movement. Modern cast iron can be a lot heavier than antique cast iron. Never wash it with soap, and never expose it to large temperature changes (never place it on a stovetop after washing it with cold water) to prevent cracks and damage. And you can get a good idea of the value of your pan by looking at other Griswold skillets in a comparable condition. In 1957, McGraw-Edison of Chicago, Illinois, bought the company. And premiums are paid on both small sizes and larger sizes. Disclaimer:I have tried my best to keep the information as accurate as possible by carefully researching. And to make new molds. Are old cast iron skillets better than new? 1979 Half Dollar Value: How Much Money Does A 50C Worth? Griswold made Victor skillets between the 1890s to the 1930s. This is not the regular Griswold, this is the ERIE Griswold skillet. For instance, you cant prepare an omelet in a saucepan (okay, maybe you can try, but why?). These include. Nothing makes the home homier like the smell of freshly cooked or baked food. So before you buy a large-sized Griswold skillet, make sure it does not spin. Her writing offers personal experience from experimentation with food and recipe creation. Can I offer a lower price? The, Read More Most Valuable Antique Dishes (Rarest Sold for $331,000)Continue, Many of us remember trikes fondly from our childhoods a key part of young childhood was, Read More Antique Tricycles: Value, Identification, Buying & Selling Guide (Rare One Sold For $21,060)Continue, Although wrenches havent changed much over the last few centuries, there is something joyful in handling antique, Read More Antique Wrench: Identifying, Valuing, and Buying (2023 Updated)Continue, Your email address will not be published. It was characteristic of Griswold iron cast cookware made in the period from 1939 to 1957. There are endless reasons why you should buy yourself a cast-iron skillet, but here are the three most important reasons. Click, and the page will refresh to show sold listings. So cooking enthusiasts you know what to do. Wellejus, Edward T.; Erie County Historical Society. There is no wobble. Do you think this is correct? Even when you are away, the smell of freshly prepared breakfast will ground you and make the new place at least smell familiar. 7 frying pan (297) $135.00 They are less valuable than the earlier pieces, but still highly sought after. $225.00. As usual, the best place where you can check the prices is online sources such as Invaluable, eBay and Etsy. Shipping policies vary, but many of our sellers offer free shipping when you purchase from them. But it does increase the value and demand for flat skillets. Pans made from stainless steel cant withstand this kind of oscillation. A good skillet is what every household must have! However, this piece needs restoring and cleaning, and then it is ready for display only since it has some cracks. Cast Iron. Many sellers on Etsy offer personalized, made-to-order items. The largest skillet with the Griswold Slant logo is #14. The video below offers some great insights for salvaging old cast iron. This Wagner #13 iron skillet comes with a heat ring, there are models without it, so if you run across them no worries they are still valuable! Some dishes simply taste magical when you prepare them in the right kind of cookware. Now lets mention some measurements. One of the main reasons that Griswold is so popular is that the items are quite easy to date. It's important to get a grasp of this. The 1965 Kennedy Half Dollar: History, Value, and More (Rarest Sold For $9,000), The 1965 Quarter: History, Worth, Current Value, and More (Rarest Sold For $12,650), 1965 Roosevelt Dime Value: Uncovering the Surprising Worth of Your Coin Collection, Who Is On The $10 Bill? In a paper detailing the specifics of pre-1900 Erie skillets, Roy G. Meadows of the Wagner & Griswold Society determined the pan . Original Price $154.36 This one is a real deal it has all the details I mentioned with the previous model. And some sellers are asking some hefty prices. Wapak Indian skillets were largely reproduced over the years. These were uncommon sizes back in the day, and consumers preferred size numbers 3, 5, 8, and 9. However, there should be no discernible cooking performance between the two. Later pieces also included the word GRISWOLD printed in block letters. Youll see ad results based on factors like relevancy, and the amount sellers pay per click. Join some iron cast skillet communities and clubs on Facebook, Reddit, or any other web page you can find. This does not mean they are indestructible, they can crack, chip, and shatter in pieces if you dont handle them properly. Fresh Australian Cast Iron Skillets - 10'' Frying Pan, Non-stick Cast Iron Pan, Pre-seasoned Cast Iron Cookware for Camping, Indoor and Outdoor Uses. The valuation and condition guide is fourth in a series of simple informative articles. The most valuable and loved one is the smiley logo, you will find this logo on skillets #3, #9, and #11. It measures 8 inches in diameter, from one spout to another spout. From the ashes arose the newly chartered Griswold Manufacturing Company. Learn the factors that determine the asking and selling prices of a Griswold cast iron skillet. Sale Price $116.00 There was a problem subscribing you to this newsletter. Thereafter, Matthew Jr.s younger brother Marvin took over the reins of the company from 1914 to 1926, when he died. The skillet I want has a pitted base. You've already signed up for some newsletters, but you haven't confirmed your address. The skillet is warped. But I can help point you in the right direction. - 12"-Inch Frying Pan with Assist Handle and Pour Spots + Silicone Grip Cover - Pre-Seasoned Oven Safe Cookware - Indoor/Outdoor Use - Grill, Stovetop, Induction and Firepit Safe, Frying Pan with Silicone Hot Handle Holder (Black), Bundle. In addition to his status as an industrialist, he was also no stranger to the political sphere: he served two terms as a Republican Congressman, from 1891 to 1893 and 1895 to 1897. Click on the link to learn more. Accordingly, note that reproductions or cheap mimics often bear unsteady, blurred lettering, and a grainier finish.For reference, a number of Griswold cast iron pieces have sold at auction in recent years, including this trivet, this no. However, there are a few things you should look for when trying to identify if its real or fake. The word ERIE is still included inside the diamond. Luckily we can use these markings to determine the age of your Griswold cast iron skillet. )Continue, Would you be able to tell an antique sofa from just a really old one? This page was last updated: 01-May 02:13. What do you mean you make a casserole in a dutch oven? Probably as a method the remove the seasoning. Artistic Metal Ceilings 1910. Series two doesnt not have a three digit pattern number in the center of the pan. Required fields are marked *. And this is understandable since they are likely the purchase only one pan. Griswold: Cast Iron, Porcelain, Aluminum A Price Guide, Vol. Skillets lost much of their character. Unfortunately, this is an area on cast iron often damaged by sulfur pitting. There is, Read More Antique Sofa Guide: How to Identify, Value & Trade Antique FurnitureContinue, Antique dishes come in all shapes and sizes, in diverse materials including silver, porcelain, and crystal. Griswold and Wagner Cast Iron Cookbook: Delicious and Simple Comfort Food. You can learn thedifferent Griswold logosby clicking the link. Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with 2 Loop Handles - 17 Inch Ergonomic Frying Pan, Vintage GRISWOLD Cast Iron SKILLET Frying Pan # 8 LARGE BLOCK LOGO, Vintage GRISWOLD Cast Iron SKILLET Frying Pan # 8 LARGE BLOCK LOGO ERIE PA.704 T, FLAT Holy Grail Antique Griswold Erie SPIDER LOGO Cast Iron Pan/Skillet #8 FLAT, Griswold cast iron skillet #8 heat ring double pour big block slant logo, Griswold 8 Inch Cast Iron Skillet 704 B Erie PA USA, Griswold Cast Iron Skillet No. Learn the benefits of cooking with cast iron. Contents show Griswold Cast Iron History And only the rarest of sizes and logos hold much worth. The logo is positioned in the center. And older skillets also have the much sought-after slant and block logos. In addition to the ERIE logo, youll find a spider structure on the pan. When searching for old cast iron, you should check out old junk shops, out of the way antique dealers and other knick-knack type spaces. See each listing for international shipping options and costs. Matthew Griswold, the founder of the Griswold Manufacturing Company griswold cast iron skillet 12 inch With a diameter of 12.5 inches, from one spout to another, this skillet is quite large. But the fact is that owning a cast iron skillet is worth all of that trouble. I see them listed as early 20th century on other webpages, the sixth variant, but I dont see it on here. Pitting can also occur due to poor storage. Since Griswold used the Griswolds Erie logo for a short time, it is harder to find skillets with this logo. Finally, while non-stick pans may be a favorite of many cooks, it should be noted that well-seasoned cast iron has a great non-stick surface. Tara is a food writer that has been editing and authoring articles for KitchenSanity since its founding. The 4-inch logo with the cross pattern is highly sought after. Griswold used this logo between 1880-1907. The cooking space is just enough to fit two eggs. But those new to cast iron often want a skillet to sit completely flat. It must have a heat ring and a rectangular handle with a size number engraved on the front side. So before you start looking for vintage skillets on your own, make sure you read this article with utmost care for details! The cooking space measures 4 inches, while the rim of the cooking bowl is around 2 inches high. So if you are buying an Erie online, make sure you ask the seller if the skillet rocks or spins. Smooth bottom skillets are not as desirable to collectors as skillets with heats rings. So you could have an early pan. This type of data sharing may be considered a sale of information under California privacy laws. Many collectors will accept a little movement to the pan. Erie PA 699 O. But there are a few characteristics which the Iron Mountain skillet series have which can identify them. Then it is time to bring it out, dust it off, and start using these vintage pans. Learn more. We appreciate all information and advice we can get. Griswold also used the Slant logo on smooth bottom pans. The origins of the Spider Skillet have eluded cast iron collectors for decades, as it's the only skillet the famed maker ever put a spider on, and there was no official word as to why they did it in the first place. You can score a great deal on yard and garage sales, people usually arent very much informed about the worth of their belongings. Original Price $145.00 1979 Nickel Value: How Much is Your 1979 Jefferson Nickel Worth Today? Historic Erie County. 2023 VIP Art Fair Collectibles - WordPress Theme by Kadence WP, One of the First Tools Humans Invented: How to Identify and Buy Antique Hammers, Most Valuable Lionel Trains Round-Up List (Brute Train + 213 Lift Bridge Worth Over $1M? Griswold skillets size number 2 It may be a little surprising to find, but small Griswold skillets are some of the rarest and most valuable. The cooking surface is smooth. And skillets with the small block logo have less value. And I hope you find it helpful and informative. Griswold placed their mark on the bottom of their cast-iron skillets. The early Griswold pans werent bought with an eye for provenance, but for practicality, so you may not find papers backing up the original purchase date. The Wagner and Griswold Societyhas an article on the markings and variations of the Erie skillets. However, they are way more durable, unlike nonstick pans which you can change once a year if you use them regularly. Not sure why, but getting an iron cast skillet in size #13 is really hard, no matter which brand you choose. Those partners may have their own information theyve collected about you. You dont know what you are missing out on! The company was active from 1865 until its acquisition by the Randall Company in 1957. The Griswold large logo vs. small logo, which is better? Price and other details may vary based on product size and color. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The inside cooking surface of this skillet measures 10 inches, and the upper rim is approximately 2 inches high with two pouring spouts. It may need to be cleaned up and seasoned, but once the work is done youll have a great tool thats easy to cook with. Griswold skillets have some weight to them and are less prone to warping than lighter pans. They wont show once it gets used a bit, but I wouldnt have done it if I had realized it was an antique. If you share my philosophy and you have exquisite knowledge about skillets, and cast iron cookware as well, I kindly ask you to share some with us! Look for the following: If you are a collector, you know that to find a valuable collectible you need to have a lot of knowledge, information, patience, an eye for detail, and a bit of luck. So you are correct, as grinding greatly diminishes the value and collectability of the pan. However, the first step is to know which brands are the ones you must pay attention to. Top subscription boxes right to your door, 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Many pay a premium for Griswold cast iron skillets. Does shopping on Etsy help support small businesses? What you need for this task, and for so many more, such as cooking delicious steak, is one and only, the king among the cookware the almighty cast iron skillet! Discover more about the small businesses partnering with Amazon and Amazons commitment to empowering them. The value of Griswold cast iron is quite easy to determine if you can confirm that the pans arent knock-offs a bit of study can help you determine the value of the pan in your sights. Unfortunately, this is a very mystic brand, even passionate collectors dont know much about them. Buy Now: $2,800 It's a Griswold. In 1884, Griswold bought out his partners. The second reason is that cast iron skillets can handle all types of cooking. Lets find out. What is the Value of your Griswold Manufacturing collectibles? Find the Value of your Griswold Manufacturing collectibles. Oh, and the sauces become thick and perfect without needing to spend hours next to the stove. Of course, many of us regular mortals, use brand new skillets that we bought at the local shop, but what if I tell you that in this case brand new isnt the best option? I have also collected cast iron for over 10 years, so I have some experience behind me. But heavy pitting or pitting that obscures the logo will detract from the overall value and collectibility of the skillet. For the uninitiated, Griswold is king and court in the vintage skillet world. Moisture and rusting can leave the skillets a little rough. CO. and ERIE PA. U.S.A. PATD DECEMBER 1ST 1808, also in uppercase.