49.02. If the value is 0, it means it is perceived as very low, and if the value is 100, it means it is perceived as very high. The laws take serious action against such felonies and can be punishable for up to 20 years of imprisonment. I'm never coming to this disgusting city ever again. Their data is user-compiled and based on factors such as how safe respective residents feel in their city in the day and the night, and how residents perceive crime in the area. As part of our award results, you can view our Outstanding Value Star Ratings for different age groups, to help you find the best car insurance for you and your family. The table above may not include all providers in the market and may not compare all features relevant to you. Today we look at which suburbs have the most reported crime across the country. You can send a free text with your location and travel plans to 7233 [SAFE]. Our bags were stolen in our hotel not a pleasant place, Crime is rife in Auckland Beware if you a tourist comming here per Capita murders are high burglaries are common and so are assaults the government is very soft on crime. Robbery rates fell in the average U.S. city by 23 percent, while murder, rape, and aggravated assault all climbed by 25 percent or more. "Don't leave attractive items in cars or where thieves could see them; shut your garage door, even when you're home - all of these are really simple, basic things. Being charged for an offence in New Zealand triggers a set of actions and makes you liable in a court of law for further legal proceedings where you submit your plea. Volcanic activity, earthquakes, and tsunamis are common in many parts of the country. New Zealands capital, Wellington, is the safest large city in the country. Avoid the high-density bar areas in the main cities if you want to keep away from the alcohol-fuelled argumentsor fights. Darwin is the largest city and capital of the Northern Territory of Australia, and hosts a population of around 136,254 people. Here are the statistics records from 2020 by the New Zealand Police. These ethic groups appear to be the main instigators of crime . people up all night in cbd playing ther sirens in their hideous cars crying out for attention,basically saying look at me!look at me!well we are,and we just think what has this country come to,i just think scum in the highest regard. Any advice on this page is general and has not taken into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Canstar is not providing a recommendation for your individual circumstances. Then, the following night I was cornered by another junkie who threatened to kill me if I didn't buy him some Woodstock bourbons so I ran away. Various governments have changed their travel warnings to restrict travel during this time. This means that guides, residents, and tourists do recommend taking some safety precautions. The city boasts several open green spaces, including a large themed garden. Homicide in 2021 have dropped to the lowest rate in four years - but it's believed the Covid lockdown has contributed to a recent spike in murders across Auckland. The Wairarapa city of Carterton has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. Crime has got really bad in NZ. If you are leaving your campervan or car outside of a holiday park or campground, try to park somewhere it can be seen, and that is well-lit, or even better if in the city, in a secure car park or within view of a CCTV camera. Although most of the time youd be unlucky to get picked up by someone untrustworthy, its not impossible. While Dunedin is a college town with nearly 130,000 people, crime is not a major issue. When compared in respect to the total number of crimes reported to the United States, the statistics as given by Nation Master show the following: The violent crimes, including the rape and homicide index of New Zealand, is low compared to the United States, so we can say its safer for women, elders, and children. Keep scrolling to read the rest if you are looking forward to booking a flight to New Zealand or deciding on permanent residence. With a population of over 1.5 million people, Auckland is New Zealands most populated city. However we have a number of police teams working in the CBD. A local mountain bikers guide to New Zealands best tracks. This represents a really good opportunity'. to Fri.); 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Sat. Be aware, lock up your valuables, and dont walk alone at night. It is not uncommon for bikes to get stolen at night by drunk people making bad decisions about how to get home. A suburb of Tauranga, this relaxed city is home to New Zealands most beautiful beaches Maunganui Beach. Violent crime > Rapes per million people : The number of recorded rapes. Although this may seem like a high number, it is important to note that these statistics are still quite low for a metropolitan area of this size. Stockton, California Stockton is a notorious crime city in California. The current features, rates and fees may be different to what was rated. Its really bad down town Auckland guys so many drugged up people there, so many students and travellers getting harassed in Auckland . Fees payable by product providers for referrals and sponsorship may vary between providers, website position, and revenue model. Over the last six months (to 18/05/22), there were close to 600 cars, motorbikes, trucks, trailers and utes stolen in Auckland: Of those, the top ten makes of cars stolen were: And the top ten makes and models targeted by thieves were: However, one thing links all the car thefts: the age of the cars taken. Townsville is a city in the north of the Australian state of Queensland. If you are a law abiding, tax paying, immigrant you are totally stuffed!!! I feel the police and government don't do much, especially if the crimes are committed by ethnic groups. In Auckland, the data showed a high number of crimes in public places on either side of Queen St leading down to the waterfront. Auckland, in the North Island of New Zealand, is one of the most economically important, and most densely populated, areas of the country. I've been living in west Auckland for 2 years now. Episodes of violence against visitors in this city from time to time have led to a bad reputation of this city among global tourists. This district is at risk of rising sea levels and earthquakes. On average, violent crime has climbed by 12 percent in U.S. cities, while property crime has declined by 33 percent since 2010. this wasn't long ago, but as a 14 year old living in Auckland his entire life, I can say that the crime has certainly raised in the last couple years. The majority of sexual crimes are being committed when the victim is drunk or using drugs, often after a night out or at kick-ons, when friends put their intoxicated mate to bed. No. You are the victim of car crime. Its not okay. See here for our ratings methodology. Hitchhiking is not illegal in New Zealand but is not recommended. The safety and security of Auckland makes this city a wonderful choice to relocate to as long as you are able to manage the high living costs that come along with it. See our. The countries with the ten highest crime rates, expressed in per 100,000 people, globally are: Venezuela (83.76) Papua New Guinea (80.79) South Africa (76.86) Afghanistan (76.31) Honduras (74.54) Trinidad and Tobago (71.63) Guyana (68.74) El Salvador (67.79) Brazil (67.49) Jamaica (67.42) 1. In some cases, victims could do little to protect themselves against willing offenders, but simple steps could prevent many crimes. Contact us for full details. Auckland is am expensive crap hole. So if you see a large group at night please avoid. Browse Now. Due to the citys large tourist appeal, its a little costly when compared to other cities in New Zealand. Youth-led violent attacks, especially those involving groups of Darwin's adolescents attacking tourists, have been reported. Police routinely releases data on the last working day of each month via an interactive reporting tool known as policedata.nz. Don't come here. Visitors to Australia are advised to take the same precautions that they would take anywhere else, including being careful when walking around at night and to not flash any expensive belongings. Pickpocketing isnt common but is more likely to occur in busy public placessuch as bus/ferry/train stations, popular scenic spots, urban shopping streets and busy bar and restaurant centers. That trend was mirrored speficially in the CBD. Parts of the city are still recovering from the 2011 earthquake. Centered around 2 large harbors, this port city is known as a melting pot of cultures. Some have made poor choices in life but they never dump their baggage sh!t on me when I converse with them. Just because Hamilton is safe doesnt mean its boring. Sponsored products are clearly disclosed as such on website pages. Your use of this service is subject to our Located on the South Island, is considered one of the best and safest places to visit. Unsurprisingly these five districts include New Zealand's largest population centres: Counties-Manukau comprised 12.1% of the total crimes recorded in 2014; Auckland City 12.1%; Canterbury 10.8%; Wellington 10.6%; Waitemata 9.1%. Im just curious as to what everyone thinks. Crime Index Index By Country 2023 United States China United Kingdom Russia Germany France Japan Italy Canada 0 20 40 60. Answer: Stewart island. Cleveland has a high crime rate of 1,557 out of 100,000 inhabitants, which is considered serious. 32% of the countrys population resides in this area. Auckland, New Zealand: 48.2: 51.8: Cincinnati, OH, United States: 48.1: 51.9: Newcastle . A persons socio-economic life alone influences their ability to commit a crime. According to the local police service, the number of crimes committed between 2015 and 2019 were higher than previous years, and hovered over 30,000 crimes a year. Rotorua Police StationAddress: 1190/1214 Fenton Street, Rotorua 3010, New ZealandTel: +64 7-349 9554Opening hours: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Daily). Be careful if you are a traveller to NZ quite a few been killed or raped here and Assaulted, I have read these posts and what these posts say is mostly true . You can buy at home or while traveling, and claim online from anywhere in the world. It appears most of the crime are comitted by Maori or Pacific Islanders . I am originally from Belgium. Your information will be stored on a database that police can access if requested to help find you. While it is voted one of the safest countries in the world year after year, there are some strategies every traveler should implement to ensure their safety. Despite being a safe place to visit, do not let your guard down, especially when walking the streets after dark. New Zealand is lacking when it comes to widespread public transport, but it pays to find out whats available for the regions you plan to visit, as many areas, and popular routes, are well-catered for. The most common types of crimes determined by the New Zealand Crime and Safety Survey (NZCASS) are sexual assault, minor violence, and burglary. Have visited many major cities in the world. In which case you're pretty much asking for trouble. Delight your existing customers and receive quality leads with our cutting-edge digital relocation concierge. The material on this website is for information purposes only. Make a positive impact on the planet. READ THE FULL REPORT: New Zealand Safety Review. 138 302 431 Jump to city: Whangarei , Auckland , Hamilton , Tauranga , Napier-Hastings , Rotorua , Palmerston North , New Plymouth , Wellington , Nelson , Christchurch , Queenstown , Dunedin ,. Y'all are just pussiez. Here, there is evidence of an increase, albeit a modest one:. Travelers can enjoy delicious food, learn about the regions history, or choose from a variety of entertainment options. Major cities like Chicago and London all have higher Crime Indexes as compared to Rotorua. The crime rate, however, had an exponential increase in the past three years. Crime on the island tends to be lower than the Australian mainland, but Hobart has still earned a place on the list of Oceania's most dangerous cities, according to Numbeo's crime index. They encourage travelers to keep a close eye on their drinks and follow the buddy system, particularly when intoxicated. ), violent crimes (being mugged or robbed, being attacked or insulted), corruption and other crimes. The murder/ homicide rate has been fluctuating over the past few years. South Auckland ain't a bad place at all. . All maps, graphics, flags, photos and original descriptions 2023 worldatlas.com, Most Dangerous Cities In South and Central America. I used to feel very safe in nz but not anymore crime is bad so be careful and beware especially after dark in the CBD area. Having lived in Auckland for 25 years, I can definitely say the city has gotten very bad and no one will officially say anything about it, due to the general snobbery of average New Zealanders thinking New Zealand is the best place in the world, and, anything negative will impact the tourism industry. Of note, the Crime in New Zealand at a Glance report is produced monthly, and summarises crime statistics released via policedata.nz. This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Felt unsafe on the bus. + Sun. I Immigrated 10 years ago and back then NZ was safe. According to Queensland crime statistics, there were 61,841 "offenses" in 2018 in the Gold Coast area. The New Zealand Police Service oversees decreasing crime and improving public security. Auckland central east (the eastern CBD) had 5245 victimisations. Self-drive holidays are very popular, and campervans and hire cars are the most common way visitors get around, but they are also conspicuous and susceptible to crime. Police dont show up to those anymore too busy writing lucrative speeding fines to middle-class mums and dads going a few k's over the speed limit than attend another scary gang or street racer gathering taking over your neighbourhood. Its not uncommon to see people thumbing a lift but it carries a considerable amount of risk. Superintendent Richard Chambers, the district commander for. Auckland Police Station Address: 13-15 College Hill, Hargreaves Street, Freemans Bay, Auckland 1011, New ZealandTel: +64 9-302 6400Opening hours: Open 24 hours (Daily). It is a lovely country however on our last week in Auckland our car got broken into at the hotel car park and some of our possessions stolen. Murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants. I'd love to live in New Zealand suppose to be the prettiest country by far.yall just need to stay strapped what comes around goes around new Zealand I wouldn't be scared to live there I'd stay strapped day n day out pop a mf like no tomorrow.they gotta learn if ya wanna act growen we'll get wat happens to growen an eye for an eye a tooth fo a tooth a life fo a life fair game call it like it's read. Everything you need to know before you go to New Zealand, from Wi-Fi and sand flies to phone coverage and road safety. An Oceanic city torn by poverty, joblessness, and cultural clashes, Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea is one of the most dangerous places in all of Oceania. Crime and justice Statistics about crime and justice report on court charges and outcomes. does steven weber have a brother; charlie bears lantern; My Cart. Stabbings have happened burglary and Assault is common. This article will cover in-depth the crime rate in major cities of New Zealand. In terms of natural disasters, the small town of Hamilton is the safest city in New Zealand. New Zealand has a binge-drinking culture which can lead to many undesirable late-night disturbances and behaviour that rarely end well. This laid-back town scores a very low crime rate in every category. Acting Assistant Commissioner Sam Hoyle said data was used to inform all police deployment. If you prefer the outdoors, Auckland has much to offer. Many offences remained at lower-than-usual rates by the end of 2020. Other crimes such as theft, racism, corruption, bribery & assault have low to moderate rate indexes. When I was in New Zealand I heard criminals killed an Indian shopkeeper. A lot of shops getting robbed and a lot of people being burgled . Here is the latest news below as of 1st March 2020 -. I was only in nz for a year on a working holiday I am from Spain .Most kiwis are friendly and I enjoyed travelling around nz . to Fri.); 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Sat. In South Africa crime is really bad with daily incidents of murder and robbery assault rape the list is endless, but in South Afric the population is alot bigger 29 Million or so. Whilst I was in nz there were alot of ram raids and smash and grab type crime mostly committed by Pacific Islanders and Maoris . "Through all of that, we make deployment decisions about where our police are, whether that's on foot or in cars," Hoyle said. Crime is bad in Auckland and Rotorua. Just ask your advisor or someone you know about the south if you have/want to venture and apart from that you're pretty much safe. Each day we will look at a different category of crime and examine the numbers, meet the people affected the most and reveal the times, days and places you are more likely to fall victim. You look around, questioning yourself: Did I park it elsewhere? Before the reality hits. policedata.nz reports are designed to support partners and communities to access Police data to help inform their planning, decision-making and policy development. Rebuilt after a catastrophic earthquake, it is often referred to as the art deco capital of the world. Which city in New Zealand has the lowest crime rate? 3225469 (FSP200146) All rights reserved. Police data released to RNZ indicated violent crime rates in Auckland, the largest city, were up 30% from pre-pandemic levels, and remained steady compared to the year before - despite months. Please enable Strictly Necessary Cookies first so that we can save your preferences! Palmerston North was the least deprived, ranked at . Download Historical Data Save as Image From: To: Zoom: 0.5 1.0 1.5 2.0 2.5 Per 100K Population 2.63 1990 1995 2000 2005 2010 2015 -100 0 100 200 Annual % Change 253.88% 2019 Queenstown is one of the most popular cities in New Zealand. Obviously there are many social issues to be dealt with. When considering your safety during your stay in New Zealand, there are two things to consider the regions crime rate and the risk of natural disasters. Cars being broken into. There are no issues for LGBTQ+ travelers all people are welcome. Unfortunately, its a sinking feeling that too many Aucklanders experience. The next day out in the city at night I was harassed by homeless and junkies constantly. Their data allows the public to see recorded victimisations by time and place - showing where crimes occur, to whom and who is behind them. I've lived in auckland all my life and I've never EVER had any problems with islanders from any walks of life, poor, gang affiliated to well to do successful Pacifica. Acting Assistant Commissioner Sam Hoyle who oversees the country's 12 police districts, said there were a number of reasons that crime was higher in some areas than others. You are looking at Crime Index 2023. Calling 111 does not require you to have credit and you can call it for free. It will also give you an idea of if and how these crime rates might affect you. Bike hire is common everywhere in New Zealand and youll generally be fine to leave your bike propped up outside small cafes on rail trails, but be sure to lock your bike when leaving it in larger towns or cities. While Parnell and Newmarket are close to popular leisure spots, yet more shops, plus busy hospital parking areas. Aspiring National Park are the icings on the cake. While Auckland boasts a high safety rate, travelers should always use caution, particularly when walking alone after dark. Canstar reveals the suburbs and makes of cars most targeted by criminals. Auckland, also known as Tamaki Makaurau, is the most populous city of New Zealand. . Unfortunately, there has been a definite upswing in sexual violence and assaults over the last year in the city, with an estimate of at least three cases a month in Queenstown. New Zealand is considered one of the safest countries in the world to live in. Qatar. Hoyle said information from victims and arrested offenders also helped police work out where to be and when to have the biggest impact on crime. Due to Aucklands unique location on a narrow isthmus, you can also explore the regions abundance of beautiful beaches. Based on Numbeo's city living databases' composite crime indices, Christchurch ranks as the 9th most dangerous city of Oceania. Take taxis if youre out late at night, and particularly if youre heading into/out of busy nightlife areas. See. The New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990 guarantees detainees several rights, including access to fair trial assistance. Payment of sponsorship fees does not influence the star rating that Canstar awards to a sponsored product. Your source of inspiration, motivation, information and more to spur your next move. Have travelled many places around the world which have been significantly worse, and I think residents here like to over dramatise the danger levels. Hence, it is generally safe to roam around in broad daylight comparative to at night. It is close enough to larger cities, yet just far enough away to escape the big city hustle and bustle. Please note that not all content is translated or available to residents of all countries. These data are based on perceptions of visitors of this website in the past 3 years. Copyright 2009-2023 Numbeo. According to Numbeo Wellington, the safety index of walking alone during daylight is 87.11 (Very High), and the safety index of walking alone during the night is 60.78 (High). But while the average motorist cant avoid parking in such places, there are steps you can take to avoid becoming a victim of car crime: Your choice of car, too, can play an important part in whether its targeted by thieves. Do note that data for 2021 is yet not available. By building up a reliable socio-economic system in a country, you (kind of) guarantee a crime-free zone for the citizens. New Zealand is a very safe country to visit, the second safest in the world, according to the Global Peace Index. Latest publications about crime and justice Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings. Every officer who was sent out on patrol either on foot or by car was dispatched to areas that data showed needed a police presence. As you can see from this shaded map, the areas around Mount Eden, One Tree Hill and Cornwall Park are also crime hotspots. Statistics are sourced from the Police national data page and are for July 2014 to December 2016 with an outcome of investigation of 30 days. Crime in the city is concentrated in areas with greater poverty rates due to a weak economy and soaring unemployment rates. In Auckland city over the past 18 months, there was a 32 percent rise in gun . Petty crime and theft are the most common types of crime in New Zealand, so wherever you are - particularly in the busier cities such as Auckland, Christchurch, and Wellington - it's wise to keep your valuables and important documents stored in a safe at your accommodation. Washington, DC had the highest property crime rate in 2020, at 3,493 crimes per 100,000 residents. compared against other developed nations such as the USA, definite upswing in sexual violence and assaults. linkedin. Hobart is the capital city of the Australian state of Tasmania. Counting Crime is a Herald series looking at where and when offending is happening in the community - and who the victims are. Christchurch has its location on the South Island, unlike Wellington and Auckland, which are both found on the North Island. Auckland's central car crime strip However, the whole strip from the waterfront in the city, down to Hillsborough and Onehunga in the south are popular locations for criminals to strike. Uber (where your taxi journey is GPS tracked) is expanding within New Zealand and currently operates extensively in and around all the main cities and many smaller towns. What's a prison? This is bullshit. There are alot of assaults. Consider the Product Disclosure Statement before making a purchase decision. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. The news is always filled with gang violence, assault & robbery; streets are filled with high drug addicts; and teenagers are getting involved in stealing, vandalism, etc. Or, worse still, your car isnt where you left it. Today we can reveal the neighbourhoods that recorded the most victimisations - effectivley how many people reported crimes against their person or property - from July 2014 to end of 2016. What I have seen is a huge increase in crime in Auckland CBD poverty is the worst I have seen in New Zealand. Of course, if youre a criminal looking to break into cars, you are going to target places where there are lots of unattended automobiles, and where your presence isnt going to attract too much attention: think busy car parks.