Much has, perhaps rightly, been made of how when Jesus asked Peter whether he loved him, he was using the word agape whereas Peter was responding with phileo for his description of love. This is the moment in which life and death decisions are being made. Personally, when I look at how the Lord identifies with us, I marvel to myself that we have such a loving God. But let us go to him., It wasnt a terribly common thing in second temple culture to use the euphemism fall asleep for death, but if we scan the entirety of Scripture we see it is actually a very common phrase/word overall especially in the books of Kings and Chronicles (examples: 1 Kings 22:40, 50; 2 Kings 8:24, 10:35). In order for anyone to believe upon Jesus, God must sovereignly intervene. This biography follows the journey of a young man who plummeted from the heights of a comfortable life to the depths of drug addiction in London's seedy alleysand then found redemption. Do you believe this?. As this text was originally written, it referred only to the length of life and the length of existence which God promised to his obedient Israel. They had no idea how David could have called his descendent his Lord. They had not understood to this point the heavenly nature of the coming messiah. (1 Corinthians 15:14-19). This saying of Jesus to Mary not to cling to me is one of the most difficult verses in Scripture to understand, according to D.A. [3] So Judas, having procured a band of soldiers and some officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, went there with lanterns and torches and weapons. In the poem Jesus pursues Thompson with "unhurrying chase, and unperturbed pace, deliberate speed, and majestic instancy [or urgency]." All Christian leadership entails a certain tension between authority and meek, exemplary service, patterned finally on Jesus himself. What a fantastic claim! Here Ryle is discussing the Olivet Discourse and particularly, Christs predictions concerning the nations and the world. That this important, and sound, theologian and pastor would raise such a warning flag against the post-mil mindset while its popularity was at its zenith is (to me) a very important note. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. Therefore, how do we rightly respond to these truths? His charge is a moral charge you treasure not them up in your hearts, consciences, and memories, but let them slip out, and forget them says Owen. So that the reader sees the paths of each man side by side, as it were. 846-847. Throughout Scripture, the revelation of the name of God and the glory of God has had a similar affect on men. [xi] We must inculcate His truths into our minds and lives. All else, all other priorities fade for the moment, and the search consumes everything.[8]. The ancients counted one hundred fifty-three varieties of fish! 53:6), no one does anything that is truly good in the eyes of the Holy God we serve (Roman 3:12). (John 16:13-15), ***The work of learning from God the Spirit ultimately brings Him glory, and is His plan for us, And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, [10] so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, [11] filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. We should recall that the tension between the Jewish religious leadership in Jerusalem and Christ was at a boiling point at this time. Primarily this, that the good intentions of men are not enough when everything is on the line. None of this can be done alone, can it? What had they seen? A sinking feeling takes hold when you realize that youre missing an entire days worth of money in your bank account what in the world happened? A Contemporary Translation of a Timeless Masterpiece. We are commanded by Paul to speak the truth in love.. He learned more of the things that matter in those years than most men learn in a lifetime. The kingdom must not be understood as merely the salvation of certain individuals or even as the reign of God in the hearts of his people; it means nothing less that the reign of God over his entire created universe. But the blessing of this passage is the reminder that even the greatest leaders can fall, and even the greatest falls can be restored. As I was thinking on this passage this week, one of the great passages about love reminded me of Christs character here. Up vistaed hopes I sped and shot precipitated. greatly increases our love of time with the Lord and grows us in unexpected ways. This means you cannot effectively correct and guide your children, encourage your wife, lead others in a Bible study, or share with those in pain. Ryken, Commentary on Luke, Volume II, Pg. First, the father didnt deny his son what he asked for. The Amillennial view (Amil) is probably the simplest of the four major viewpoints on the millennial question. They are foggy, and disheartening, and potentially even devastating. Jesus is the shepherd in this parable, and he is seeking a specific sheep. Sarah Boxer, "Charles M. Schulz, 'Peanuts' Creator, Dies at 77", McNamara, Pat. To argue a distant futurist reign of Christ is to argue the opposite of how the Bible describes the efficacy of Christs work on the cross. Esau is a princely being, but he is "a profane . 103. Spurgeon's 3,561 sermons are bound in sixty-three volumes. So when the Son willingly took the suffering of that recompense on himself, every footfall on the way to Calvary echoed through the universe with this message: the glory of God is of infinite value! I think that seeing this would have been enough to jolt me from despair into rage. (Hebrews 11:17-19). The usual summary is that Agape is more a love of choice a sacrificial love. Thirdly this verse tells us that Jesus is the intended way of salvation for all those who believe upon His name. 12) so that He was able to endure the torment of the cross. As Paul says: But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. [xvi], Grudem says, The primary characteristic of postmillennialism is that it is very optimistic about the power of the gospel to change lives and bring about much good in the world.. They were on the water of the sea. Charles Spurgeon. Well, we certainly make that decision, but not until we are born again otherwise we would never desire to choose to believe. He deserves all the credit. Perhaps this is obvious, but Christ never boasted in Himself but allowed His truthful teaching, His actions and the testimony of others to glorify Him. Believing on the name of Jesus is believing in what that name represents salvation. Therefore the principle problem here is not primarily an intellectual one, nor is it a communication problem on the part of the Apostle, rather it is primarily a problem within the hearts of these Hebrews, and within our own hearts as well. It would have taken an amazing effort to have accomplished this this was a coordinated effort. The work of the Church will be completed, and the reckoning of results will take place. Annas is not currently the high priest, but has been in the past, and is so powerful that he is actively involved in the affairs of temple and his son in laws administration of things. This isnt the only place we read this in the Bible. Both men are running, but John notes that he beat Peter to the tomb. He knows my actions: When I sit down and when I get up (v. 2); when I go somewhere and when I lie down (v. 3). You need milk, not solid food, [13] for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. The presence of the grave clothes also shows that the story the Jewish leaders concocted, that the disciples stole Christs body (Matt. Similarly, God doesnt love the world because the world is inherently good. Below is a sermon I preached this past week on John 18:1-27. [10] Jesus said to them, Bring some of the fish that you have just caught. [11] So Simon Peter went aboard and hauled the net ashore, full of large fish, 153 of them. Now we come to passage that is so majestic and so profound in its display of Christs power that I can hardly find the right words to describe what we read here. This certainly reminds of 9:4 where Christ says, We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work. And 9:5 actually ties nicely in with verse 10 here, As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.. I stand in the presence of God, and I was sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news. [xiii] John Frame, Systematic Theology, Pg. 20:5-7 And stooping to look in, he saw the linen cloths lying there, but he did not go in. If you were in the garden, in the courtyard, at the temple, you would also have betrayed Christ. This points to the linear nature of history God is working toward something. But that is not the case as well see later on, for when Christ approaches the tomb and asks that the great stone blocking its entrance be removed, Martha protests that there would be a stench! The last war shall be the most fearful and terrible war that ever desolated the earth.[xvii]. [14]Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come. (Carson). [22]But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you., As we look at Marthas response to the presence of our Lord it seems at first blush that she is placing a tremendous amount of faith in Him, and indeed her faith here is a beautiful thing. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, [18]and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.(Genesis 22:15-18), Therefore God used His Son Jesus Christ to die for the sins of His people His chosen people, a holy nation, a people called after His own name. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. [9] And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him, [10] being designated by God a high priest after the order of Melchizedek. It was perhaps at its height at the end of the 19th century when medical cures were being found, the industrial revolution was in full swing, and great revivals had swept across the world many times over the course of the past several hundred years. He is finally in his right mind he sees reality for what it is. The Word is what changes lives, and therefore must not be adulterated or watered down by our own ideas. It is not a courtroom, or a white throne in revelation; it is the exposure of Christs ministry of truth upon the wicked hearts of mankind. And when He tracks one down, all of heaven erupts in jubilant celebration. Yes while most everyone else in the world is either trying purposefully to spread the word of God, or trying hard to stop the spread of this word, the Catholic hierarchy is content to slow drip the Word to a body that is thirsty and dying of starvation. Cowards. Across the margent of the world I fled, And troubled the gold gateways of the stars, Smiting for shelter on their clangd bars; Fretted to dulcet jars. Notice also that Jesus is the one who begins the confrontation with the soldiers. Therefore, it was the purpose of Christ to surrender in order that He might conquer for our sakes. What we learn from this passage of Scripture is that salvation is from first to last of God, by God, from God, for God it is all of God. Not Jesus. You arent guaranteed another day or another hour of life. J.C. Ryle gets at an important point that I hadnt thought of right away, namely that the world mocks at repentance. If you came here a skeptic and have felt your heart strangely warmed but our Lords offer of eternal life, then I encourage you now to repent of your sins. The implication is that some will not believe up on His name. No man would put themselves in harms way like this (almost certain death) for the lives of people who werent his family. Those who do not place their faith and trust in Jesus Christ are condemned already. As John MacArthur notes, while the final sentencing of those who reject Christ is still future, their judgment will merely consummate what has already begun., I will offer a paraphrase here based on what I understand John to be saying: every human being is born already condemned by their own sinfulness and if you dont believe in Jesus then you will remain condemned., Therefore, Condemned already is another way of saying, the wrath of God abides on him.. Christ could either stay beyond the Jordan and enjoy a vibrant ministry (10:40-42), or He could fulfill the will of the Father and accomplish His ultimate destiny and mission here on Earth. Brethren, in heaven we shall dive into the deepest depths of fellowship with Jesus . [6] Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. We have loved ones with cancer. 9, 10, and 11. For no man will ever call upon the name of the Lord without the gracious help of God who opens our eyes and shows us the glory of the light of Jesus for what it truly is.[vii]. The scene is a complex one. 11:16So Thomas, called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.. We dont have the strength when it comes down to it, we dont even have the desire! This might be something that you recall from the final discourses as well, but in the hours leading up to Jesus arrest and betrayal, He is not focused whatsoever on His own impending pain, but on taking care that He imparts all the knowledge necessary to His disciples. It vividly describes how God (the Hound of Heaven) chases down a wayward soul, never giving up the pursuit, "down the nights and down the daysdown the labyrinthine ways." G.K. The Grace-Filled Poem That G.K. Chesterton and J.R.R . Later in the chapter John explicitly spells this out: Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him. Pink notes some of the differences between Adam in the Garden of Eden, and Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane. All men will one day give account for their behavior during this life. The Hound of Heaven Pursued John Stott. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. She is always on the move always doing something, shes a type A personality. Charles Spurgeon. Such was the nature of His patience and longsuffering. It is no secret that my life, especially as of late, has been the subject of many an attack of the Devil and his lackeys. How is it said that we obtain this discernment? YOU WILL NEVER DIE. 1094. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, (Ephesians 6:13-18 ESV), Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Annas, the father in law of Caiaphas, had been high priest but had been deposed by the Romans. It is, preeminently, the history of salvation.[v], The kingdom of God, therefore, is to be understood as the reign of God dynamically active in human history through Jesus Christ, the purpose of which is the redemption of Gods people from sin and from demonic powers, and the final establishment of the new heavens and the new earth. This discerning is shorthand for living in such a way that reflects Gods work within you it means loving others and God, and is the result of a renewed mind and transformed heart. We behold His glory because we see His revealed character in His actions and words, and the Holy Spirit uses this Scripture to touch and transform our hearts. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. They have regressed. Peters rush to do something in the moment turns out to be the wrong thing. In that day men will either voluntarily bow in humble joy, or they will hit the dirt simply out of necessity. The New Testament church has become the Israel of God. The Master-Key, Opening the Gate of Heaven "And thou saidst, I will surely do thee good.". I bring this up is because it shows the deeper purposes of God in Christ for you. Just as He took pleasure in bruising His Son, and takes pleasure in allowing you to face difficult trials for both His glory and for your refinement and sanctifications sake. Hes using John 11 to do that, so I want you to take in as much of it as possible, knowing not only that He is using it to gradually melt away the dross of this life, but that one day (as we wait in faithful hope see Rom. This is the day Jesus rose from the dead and thats why even to this day, 2,000 years later, we call it The Lords Day and worship Him together on this day. The stench of death was likely setting in, and no one ever though of the man comingbackto life. Vain to us were the mere ordinancesvain as bottles scorched by the simoom and drained of their waters. Spurgeon says: o If you had a New Testament in Greek it would be very Greek to some of you, but it would do you as much good to look atthatas it does to look at the English New Testament unless you read with understanding heart.[xiv], And so now you see the thrust of what were getting at here. Johns narrative isnt as concerned with the trials as it is with Christ who is He, and what is His mission. [18]Bethany was near Jerusalem, about two miles off, [19]and many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary to console them concerning their brother. Well, if the flock is the church then we must necessarily believe the feeding and tending are also metaphorical devices. But I dont know that its correct to say that Peter didnt truly love Christ, but rather Christ was setting the kind of example Peter must follow. He knew what it was to lose a loved one. [2] Now Judas, who betrayed him, also knew the place, for Jesus often met there with his disciples. Yet we are exhorted to obey, and held responsible as new creations to work toward holiness. [xi] John Frame, Systematic Theology, Pg. [8]And I will give to you and to your offspring after you the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession, and I will be their God. (Genesis 17:4-8 ESV), And the angel of the LORD called to Abraham a second time from heaven [16]and said, By myself I have sworn, declares the LORD, because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, [17]I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. [41] The men of Nineveh will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here. This is where He finds us. Interestingly, Beale thinks that John wrote Revelation with the book of Daniel in mind especially important in Daniel is the already/not yet function of his literature. . Ryken, Commentary on Luke, Volume II, Pg. Each moment listening for the voice, He deals with their lack of faith and misunderstanding and selfishness. Now in the lead up to the events weve just read about that transpired the morning that Jesus Christ was captured and taken prisoner have been enumerated in chapters 13-17. 153 fish,all the species/nations of the world can fit into the net and the net is not broken.. The opening blast from Caiaphas is (according to Carson) the ancient equivalent of saying You dont know what you are talking about! Both Carson and MacArthur note how rude this is and Carson is funny here: Even so, it is certainly not a reflection of the Dale Carnegie school of diplomacy, and it nicely confirms the judgment of Josephus that the Sadducees were barbarous and wild even toward those of their own party. This is a land where plain speaking is . Therefore we note once again that God desires for us to know Him. So, if you seek me, let these men go. [9] This was to fulfill the word that he had spoken: Of those whom you gave me I have lost not one. [10] Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priests servant and cut off his right ear. Your mind will become alert and observant. (1 John 4:9-10). What is remarkable about these people is that they have been turned from sinners who love their sin, to those who love to give glory to God for anything good they do. Christ Jesus is the one who diedmore than that, who was raisedwho is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. The thought, then, might be paraphrased this way: Stop touching me (or, Stop holding on to me), for (gar) I have not yet ascended to my Father i.e. I dont know whether Mary was a morning person or a night owl, but I do know that she was drawn to this place with a intensity that wakes you up at 4am and says get your shoes on, youre going to the tomb. Thats drive. When someones heart is touched by the words of Christ they want to immediately go and tell others of the experience and bring them near to Christ. I would just add a disclaimer that they are my raw preaching notes. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. And to be a sinner, part of Adams fallen race, is to be without hope apart from the saving power of Jesus Christ. [5] Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, (Philippians 2:4-5 ESV), Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. There is everlasting life and peace with Jesus. He is the one who is cleansing our hearts and renewing our minds and He will give us the faith to press on, and the discernment to do His will. Therefore the last time that Peter and conversed with the Lord in any substantive manner was during the Farewell Discourses when, as we recall, Peter had proudly declared that hed follow Jesus even unto death. They love their own sin.[v]. In his commentary on the book of Acts, Martyn Llyod-Jones gives some great background on these men: Caiaphas, the high priest, was just a Sadducee write large. In fact, the New Testament opens with John the Baptists announcement of the kingdom: Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand (Matthew 3:2).