When they arent making music and touring, each member has had their own thing going for them. The Backstreet Boys conquered charts and girls' hearts back then, and on tour as ever they still do today. They have eight Grammy nominations, two American Music Awards, seven Billboard Music Awards, two MTV Video Music Awards, and many others. Six years later, he proposed to her and on December 8, 2007, they got married in Florida. Starting their relationship in 1993, they got married on June 17, 2000, in Lee County, Kentucky. The breaking point for Dorough came when he was 14 years old and his dance partner scored him an audition for an all-Latino boy band Menudo, where Martin got his start. Success took its toll on the young musicians. AJ McLean auditioned and won the first coveted spot. BSB perform on the MTV Video Music Awards live in NYC. I Want It That Way was named #3 on VH1's Greatest Songs of the 90s. Additional reporting from Sabrina Finklestein. I went up to her and said hi, and she said, Hi, my names Leighanne. I said I know, I took the liberty of seeing your headshot on the way here. She was like, Oh, well I owe you one. She doesnt owe me anything we hit it off and weve been together ever since. As he grew older, Carter transitioned into rap and also appeared in Broadway musicals and on the US TV show Dancing With The Stars. At only 13 years old, Carter, AJ McLean, Brian Littrell, Howie Dorough, and Kevin Richardson formed the pop group Backstreet Boys on April 20, 1993. Its not like a lot of the groups from the past,where it was one or two guys, and that was it. He is of mixed heritage, with Puerto Rican and Irish American roots. Howie, along with his fellow bandmates AJ McLean and Nick Carter were the founding trio of the boyband. July 31. James Corden helps BSB "take a break" and fills in for Brian onstage in Vegas. Related:20 Photos Of One Direction's Zayn Malik When He Thought No One Was Watching. In 1997 the stars embarked on their first 60 . His singles In Christ Alone and By His Wounds have both won a GMA Dove Award for Inspirational Recorded Song of the Year in 2006 and 2008 respectively. Its a song thats proven itself internationally to be a great hit single [the song hit No. What caused The Beatles to stop performing in public 30 years before simply motivated the Backstreet Boys. The members are AJ McLean, Howie Dorough, Nick Carter, Kevin Richardson and Brian Littrell. Later that day he missed an appointment with a drug counsellor, the police report said. Unless AJ can come in tomorrow, weve got to get somebody on the bridge. So the song got cut, mastered, and put on the album, and it became the single. We were competing just to try to get on radio airplay against all these grunge and rock groups and rap groups. His music combines hip-hop and Eurodance. Before the Backstreet Boys became Larger Than Life and subsequently earned themselves a Las Vegas residency honoring their success and endless list of hits, the quintet actually got their start overseas. However Licata and Edwards left in early 1993 for personal reasons. 13:46:07 McLean, Howie Dorough, Nick Carter, Kevin Scott Richardson and Brian Littrell. Billboard is a part of Penske Media Corporation. With worldwide record sales of over 130 million, the band members created a name for themselves as the best-selling boy band in history. It really seasoned us to come back home, to really be ready for America. He met fellow bandmate and friend A.J. Where is YNW Melly Now? Their first collection of new material in half a decade, Never Gone continued their musical maturity, centering on a smooth adult contemporary style with singles "Incomplete," "Just Want You to Know," and "I Still" In 2006, after the conclusion of an international tour, Richardson quietly parted ways with the group. Two of the group's other members, Howie Dorough and A.J. How old are the Backstreet Boys? ', 'In A World Like This: Deluxe Edition' is released in North America. She handled the magazines social media and helped manage its website. However Licata and Edwards left in early 1993 for personal reasons. Eventually, he met Dorough, Carter, and McLean through a co-worker, and the four decided to form a group, naming themselves after an Orlando flea market. Since joining the Backstreet Boys, Brian Littrell has gone through a lot. Nick found true love after he met fitness trainer Lauren Kitt at his October 2008 house gathering. "Coincidentally, I sang . MCLEAN: [Going to Sweden to record the album]was our first trip leavingthe country, besides Kevin. The 'Backstreet Boys' have been together for over 20 years and have Nick Carter released his solo album Now or Never in 2002, Howie Dorough did charity work for the Dorough Lupus Foundation in honor of the sister he had lost to the disease, and A.J. Howie ultimately proposed in 2006, and the two got married the following year in 2007. In the meantime, the group saw its share of turmoil as Littrell underwent surgery in early 1998 to correct a congenital heart defect. A congenital heart problem makes the singer very vulnerable to illnesses. LITTRELL: The funny thing was, when we recorded the video for [Quit Playing Games,] Nick hadnt cut the second verse yet. Shortly thereafter, Richardson moved to Orlando, where he became a tour guide at Disney World and concentrated on music at night. The result, Never Gone, was released in June 2005 to platinum sales. Besides his singing career, Kevin has done a bit of modelling. In April 1993, Kevin Richardson along with his cousin Brian Littrell completed the group. Richardson was living in Kentucky but relocated to Orlando in 1990 to work at Walt Disney World . I just remember kind of being embarrassed and thinking to myself that I wasnt normal at the time I didnt realize that it was kind of a good thing that everyone was singing our songs and mocking us wherever we went [Laughs]. The group soon became an overnight success throughout much of Europe. Explore in 3D: The dazzling crown that makes a king. His second album, Aaron's Party (Come Get It), was released in 2000 and went triple platinum. If the1990s markedthe golden decade of boy bands, theconceptof forming a vocal group of young male singers was not new. BTS boy band member J-Hope has enlisted for mandatory military duty. AJ was the first member of the group to audition for Lou Pearlman, and his audition went off without a hitch. sold over 130 million albums world wide making them the best selling boy band in history. Got the name "Backstreet Boys" from an Orlando flea market called the BSB performs on Good Morning America's Summer Concert Series as a five-piece. The Backstreet Boys is an American boy group consisting of. Some guys were out clubbing, enjoying the Swedish party scene and then coming to the studio, and I was playing video games with our producers. They have two sons together; Mason Frey (July 2007) and Maxwell Haze (2013). Nick finishes 2nd on Dancing With The Stars, BSB win their first MTV Movie Award for Best Musical Moment for their appearance in 'This Is The End. Everybody has a great voice. I think it was meant to be that way, looking back on it. I Did It Again tour. But it seems the band's fans arevery forgiving, not even turning their backs when Brian Littrell outed himself years later as an ardent Trump supporter. AJ McLean went through a lot in his life outside of the Backstreet Boys. Danielle also had a few internships, where she wrote online articles for Broken Records magazine, in addition to handling social media and writing blogs for an independent record label called AudioFilms Recordings. For two years, the boys practiced hard, with singing,dancing and choreography lessons. Both the former and the latter were platinum Top Five hits, and the album eventually sold an astounding 14 million copies in America alone. There was never a moment to stop and take a breath, really appreciate whats happening right before our eyes. She later switched sections to become one of the features and entertainment editors. Early singles "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" and "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" were their first platinum hits, rising into the Top Four of the U.S. singles chart. At first, MTV was like, were not going to play a video with these guys in the rain taking their shirts off, theres just no way. And then it just started to really catch on. The boys announce their 2017 Las Vegas residency, US premiere of 'Show Em What You're Made Of.'. Nick is the youngest member, the cute one, and the heartthrob. Although he is sober now, he claims to still struggle with addiction today, however, his wife and two daughters help him get through it. Nick Carter is the youngest member of the Backstreet Boys, joining the group when he was just 13 years old. In 2011, the Backstreet Boys split from longtime label Jive Records. There was no bad blood, and the band even said that the door was always open for him to return whenever he wanted. Nick is now happily married to his wife Lauren, and the two have a son and daughter together. DOROUGH: So we said, Why dont we go with Quit Playing Games? None of us had ever skied before well, at least not the Florida boys, who had not seen snow before. The band has been making music together for decades now, and aren't planning on stopping any time soon. Jive set the Backstreet Boys up with producers Veit Renn and Tim Allen, who helped shape the group's eponymous album. At a young age, he was able to get four years of training in different dance styles including tap, ballet, jazz, salsa, gymnastics, and ballroom. Five young American boys shook up the 1990s music scene almost overnight. She also writes pop culture stories for TheThings, where she contributes several articles a week to the website. The early line-up of the group were Howie Dorough (19), AJ McLean (15), Nick Carter (13), Sam Licata and Charles Edwards. Born in Lexington, Kentucky, Backstreet Boy Kevin Scott Richardson joined The Backstreet Boys in 1993, leaving the group briefly in 2006 before returning permanently. Truth About Freddie Mercurys Teeth That Gave Him His Unique Smile, Demi Lovatos Ethnicity and Nationality Explored. The US Leg of the IAWLT Tour kicks off in Chicago. has a solo career and sometimes performs under the stage moniker Johnny NoName, his alter ego. DOROUGH: But yeah, we were definitely nervous. A few years later, in April 2012, Kevin decided that he wanted to come back to the band and officially rejoined them in April of 2012. He got a job at Walt Disney World where he played characters like Aladdin and Prince Eric. 04/20/2023. Is Barry Gibb Still Alive? DOROUGH: Our musicwasnt challenging for people to have to think too much. Shes prettier than the picture, like The Weeknd song, [Sings] Cause you look even better than the photo. Every time I hear that line Im like Man, youre reading my mind. Heightline.com 2023. ', Opening night of BSB's Las Vegas residency, Florida Georgia Line & BSB perform at the 52nd ACM Awards, BSB perform to over 50,000 people at FEQ in Quebec City, Florida Georgia Line + BSB team up for a legendary performance on CMT: Crossroads, BSB wrap up 2017 with two sold out performances in Cancun, MX. Prescription bottles and cans of an electronic duster that he had used for inhaling were found by investigators. The couple dated for five years before Nick proposed in 2013 with a 7-carat diamond ring. The brainchild of infamous music producer Lou Pearlman, it all started with an ad Pearlman placed in a local newspaper looking for singers. Inspired, they formed a vocal trio. US pop star Aaron Carter accidentally drowned in his bathtub because of drugs he had taken, a coroner's report says. Ever since the 1990s, a party is not a party without this song: "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" is a pop music classic, and most people between the ages of 20 and 60 will sing along. RICHARDSON: It took a while to get the background vocals for Anywhere For You. We all stood around one microphone to get our blends right, I mean for hours, to get the blend right. Passionate about music, entertainment, and writing, Danielle has put her love for them together, and specializes in music and entertainment journalism. Ukrainian soldiers find remains of German WWII soldiers, LGBTQ+ rights situation at home drives young Slovaks abroad, Remembering the horrors of Colonia Dignidad in Chile. What a beautiful sunset cruise with my family in Hawaii. It could never see the light of day again and I would be fine with that. US singer and rapper Aaron Carter dies aged 34, Brother leads tributes to dead singer Aaron Carter, More than 20,000 Russians dead in Bakhmut, US says, France May Day protests leave dozens of police injured, 'Fighter jets are roaring over my home in Sudan', 'My wife and six children joined Kenya starvation cult', On board the worlds last surviving turntable ferry. Even at 40, women can still shriek though not as shrilly as well as throw underwear and teddy bears. DOROUGH: I think its what America needed at that time, especially with all the negativity that was going on in the world. (2007). Backstreet Boys originated in Orlando, Florida and was formed on April 20, 1993 by Lou Pearlman with the help of a producer, Lil' Shy. We were all kind of dorks and very goofy. After scoring another European hit with "I'll Never Break Your Heart," the group released its album in Canada. Danielle graduated with honors from Rider University in May 2015 with a bachelor's degree in journalism. Nick also has a successful solo career, with three solo albums and one collaborative album in his discography. TheBackstreet Boys photographed in 1997in New York. During the late 90s and early noughties he sold millions of copies of his four albums, the first of which came out when he was only nine years old. What Happened To Him? The couple also has two sons together, and you can always see Howie posting about them on social media. About five after 9, she shows up running in about two hours late. They were formed in 1993 in Orlando, Florida . My voice, where it was at, was good for certain songs, but then other ones not so much it was a very strange time for me. The second album, "Backstreet's Back" (1997),boasted astronomical sales figures. DOROUGH: We would go all over Europe, and all these other countries; we could barely get on the airplane. In 2019, the group released their tenth studio album, DNA. More Top 40 singles followed, including "The Call" and "Shape of My Heart," and Black & Blue followed its predecessor by selling over one million copies during its first week. asked her to marry him and they tied the knot on December 17, 2011, in Beverly Hills, California. During the Backstreet's off-time, he has been engaged in the real-estate business. Dozie is a first class graduate from All Nations University College. BSB breaks the Guinness World Record for the most nationalities in a hot tub. DOROUGH: That album, to me, was our footprint, coming back home into us being who we are a group that would not only be accepted by America, but break down some walls and barriers. We had a hard time doing that, but its the album that gave us legs to stand on for many more albums, and were now on our tenth [theyre currently recording]. Frontman Nick Carter is the youngest in the group at only 38. Thanks for coming to the show and joining us for a special luau , A post shared by Backstreet Boys (@backstreetboys) on Nov 10, 2019 at 11:23am PST. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. It was also the group's first album not to go platinum, a fact that seemingly cemented the end of the Backstreet Boys' heyday. RICHARDSON: [My wife] was my girlfriend at the time she was a professional dancer and an actress, and was out visiting me. Brian got married to his wife Leighanne Littrell in 2000 and the couple welcomed their son, Baylee, two years later in 2002. Compiling a mix of songs from the Red Album and tracks that would later be released on their sophomore international record, the Backstreet Boys dropped their self-titled U.S. debut on August 12, 1997. Most populous nation: Should India rejoice or panic? On board the worlds last surviving turntable ferry. was found dead at his home in Lancaster, California, on 5 November. After series of tours and the failure of possible Mercury Records, the Backstreet Boys was finally spotlighted in Cleveland, Ohio by Jive Records in February 1994. Together, they have two children; son Odin Reign (April 2016) and daughterSaoirse (October 2019). Meghan Trainor performs 'I Want It That Way' with BSB on Greatest Hits. MCLEAN: [Ill Never Break Your Heart] was the longest recording for any single BSB record in Backstreet history, because both [Brian and I] were sick, so we would go in and cut a couple lines [at a time] some would be usable and others sounded like we had corks up our nose, so wed have to try again. As of 2019, the group has received several awards and nominations. Despite the Backstreet Boys' popularity in Europe and Canada, "We've Got It Goin' On" stalled in the lower reaches of the U.S. charts in 1995. "Quit Playin' Games (With My Heart)" and "As Long as You Love Me" proved to be popular singles, with the former track climbing to platinum status and peaking at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 (their highest charting single). At night he would concentrate more on his music until the Backstreet Boys came calling. Danielle also wrote features based on interviews she conducted with artists, as well as reviews on a variety of music genres. 45-year-old Howie is lifelong friends with bandmate AJ, which is how the pair came to be in the group. The Backstreet Boys show off their moves and the one thing they need to have on the tour bus.Subscribe to PeopleTV http://bit.ly/SubscribePeopleTVStay on . DOROUGH: I feel almost like we were creating a new lane for us, our style of music, and eventually boy bands to come after us. Everybody is a lead singer in this group. LITTRELL: Our catalog after 20 years still speaks for itself. We always wanted just to be considered a vocal harmony group. As the late '90s were transitioning from the grunge era to the more pop-friendly age of Hanson, Spice Girls and (eventually) MTV's popular video request show TRL, suddenly the Backstreet Boys . Buoyed by songs like "I Want It That Way," "Larger Than Life," "Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely," and "The One," Millennium shattered a number of records, including the highest amount of shipments in one year and the most copies sold during an album's inaugural week. MORE : Former X Factor wild child Frankie Cocozza is going to be a dad, MORE : Halsey surfaces from G-Eazy break-up in barely-there Halloween costume, Aerosmith confirm Peace Out tour will be their last after 50 years: Its not goodbye, its peace out, Harry Styles quite literally sends fans into a spin as he confirms Satellite as next single with Wall-E-esque posters, Lewis Capaldi has recorded a banger with DJ Calvin Harris but hes lost it, Sir Elton John may still perform odd show after Farewell Yellow Brick Road retirement tour, Jesy Nelsons Bad Thing flopped but that doesnt mean she has, Former X Factor wild child Frankie Cocozza is going to be a dad, Halsey surfaces from G-Eazy break-up in barely-there Halloween costume, Do not sell or share my personal information. In addition to issuing their first compilation, The Hits: Chapter One (which featured the single "Drowning"), Brian Littrell became a father while Kevin Richardson tried his hand at Broadway and took a starring role in the musical Chicago. DOROUGH: Eventually, the term boy band, which we felt was very derogatory, over time we have learned to just embrace. Beyond this, the star has settled nicely into family life in Los Angeles, California. When songs from their recording sessions were leaked online, the group took the setback in stride, using their fans' feedback to help steer the remainder of the recording process. The Backstreet Boys first formed in Orlando, Florida after Dorough and McLean met each other through a mutual vocal coach. Truth About Muni Longs Ethnicity, Nationality and Parents, Freddie Mercurys Last Words and What Happened In His Last Days, Where is Brent Faiyaz from? Carter started his career opening for the boy band Backstreet Boys on a number of tours and concerts. On Christmas Eve in 1999, he proposed to her. Thats what I thought about my wife, I shouldve written that song! [Laughs.]. The Backstreet Boys Cruise would happen semi annually from 2010 to 2018, and it is possible they will continue in the future. It was so crazy how it happened everywhere else first. LITTRELL: But there was never really a time back then where the label said, We need to change a vocal.. THE Backstreet Boys have sold more than 65 million albums around the world, a number that few pop acts have surpassed. The group took a hiatus from 2000 to 2002, but regrouped to release Never Gone in 2005. CARTER: I think the peak was the Millenium era, but without [Backstreets Back], we wouldnt have a career here. After a 1997 heart surgery, he founded Healthy Heart Club, a non-profit organization that gives medical and financial aid to children with heart conditions. Brian has expressed himself as a strong Christian and has used his solo career to release gospel music. This was the first time the band had ever performed in Israel. Nick Carter and AJ McLean were drinkingexcessively and diddrugs. Theyre promoting their most recent single Dont Go Breaking My Heart and have even been on Loose Women. And when we got on the phone with [director] Joseph Kahn and kind of gave him our brainstormed idea, he took it and ran with it and it turned out to be one of our biggest videos ever. In celebration of the albums 20th anniversary, Billboard took all five Backstreet Boys (Nick Carter, Brian Littrell, AJ McLean, Howie Dorough and Kevin Richardson) on a trip down memory lane. The band was designed as a group of white middle-class boys singing Black music like soul, R'n'B and hip hop all tailored to the US market. Two DW Culture writers discuss the phenomenon. Thats perfect, and Im like, Okay. I had to stay in the room with my parents, and I just remember feeling left out. Additionally, the Boys became embroiled in lawsuits against Pearlman and the rest of their management over royalties. Related:10 Years Later: Here's What One Direction's Harry, Niall, Liam, Louis And Zayn Are Up To Now. On May 28th, 2011, the Backstreet Boys announced they had left their longtime label Jive Records. Backstreet Market. BSB perform to over 20,000 people at The Grove in LA. Where are the members of The Backstreet Boys now, and how were they then? In celebration of the albums 20th anniversary, Billboard took all five Backstreet Boys (Nick Carter, Brian Littrell, AJ McLean, Howie Dorough and Kevin Richardson) on a trip down memory lane. CARTER: Being so young, I couldnt even go out with [the rest of the group]. Trivia They were nominated for Best New Artist at the Grammys in 1999. Howie Dorough grew up in Orlando, Florida, and is no stranger to performing. Upon release, the album hit the Top 20 in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., and across Europe. Together, the couple has two sons; James Hoke (May 2009) and Holden John (February 2013). And our fans just inevitably made people listen, and recognize us as who we are. Released throughout Europe in late 1995, the record enjoyed considerable success, spending several weeks in the Top Ten in most Continental countries where it charted. through a mutual voice coach in Orlando. Their hybrid of R&B balladry, hip-hop, and dance pop initially found its greatest audience in Canada and Europe, while success in their native land didn't follow until mainstream pop hit it big on radio and MTV in America. Backstreet Boys in their heyday. Backstreet Boys star leads tributes to late brother, Yellen warns US could run out of cash in a month, King Charles to wear golden robes for Coronation, Shooting suspect was deported four times - US media, Photo of Princess Charlotte shared as she turns 8, More than 100 police hurt in French May Day protests, Explosion derails train in Russian border region, Street piano confiscated as public 'break rules', MasterChef Australia host Jock Zonfrillo dies, US rock band Aerosmith announce farewell tour. Richardson has done a bit of acting too, appearing in the indie movies The Bloody Indulgent and The Casserole Club. Breakup rumors, hiatuses and comebacks have not diminished the Backstreet Boys' ongoing success. I feel like now, over the last 24 years, theres been moments here and there where we really got to just sit back and go, Wow. Many paid tribute to Carter after his death, including Paris Hilton, Tyler Hilton and Hilary Duff, and bands New Kids on the Block and *NSYNC. After more than 2 years, BSB performed to four sold out crowds in Las Vegas. A man of richly mixed heritage, A.J has Cuban-Puerto Rican, German, Scots-Irish, and English blood. How Old is He and Where Is He Now? We get to the video shoot and she was nowhere to be found. It was so funny, we all got off the lift, and theyd be like All right, cut the camera! because wed all fall off. Kevin also grew up with music in his life, and even moved to Orlando to pursue his dreams of performing. It took a lot of work and a lot of hours to make that song happen. After auditioning hundreds, Nick Carter, Brian Littrell, Kevin Richardson, AJ McLean, and Howie Dorough were selected and thus became The Backstreet Boys in April of 1992. By the 90s, competition came fromtechno music, dramatic grunge rock with its doomsday mood but young female music fans in particular still wanted feel-good tunes. CARTER: There was definitely a lot of dancing and playing around in the studio. MCLEAN: There was a formula back in the day, that Max and Denniz really liked, which was myself, Brian and Nick. LITTRELL: I really think [As Long As You Love Me] islike Quit Playing Games on steroids, as that big group song. The guys shared stories of the late nights recording in Sweden, recording (and having video game battles) with the now-legendary hitmaker Martin, starring in some of their most iconic videos with their future wives, and, above all, experiencing the life-changing impact of one 12-song record. The early line-up of the group were Howie Dorough (19), AJ McLean (15), Nick Carter (13), Sam Licata and Charles Edwards. In 2004, the Backstreet Boys re-formed and began work on a new album. His Nationality and Ethnicity Revealed.