As soon as the missile impacts, pull off immediately. By default air to air is Alt+X to activate the missiles and Alt+Space to fire them once locked. This complete guide to air to air missiles in War Thunder goes over basic missile concepts, guidance types, keybinds, and how to use them in the game. If I want to hit the target when the aircraft is about 4 km out, just at the max distance where you can still see the flare like I mentioned above, we'll need to known the distance to launch the missile from so it will impact at that distance. Most of my calculations were based on conversions between scale factors, so it's possible that I might be off by a small margin. In the game this is represented by two grey circles - the inner being the seeker's head, and the outer being the limit of its gimbal. Now, the way you guide the missile is via flare, and that flare is really only visible at a max distance of 4km from your aircraft, and even then it's virtually just a tiny red dot. The link for the AGM vs. tank test mission doesn't work. As such, they are more sensitive to temperature changes and so they can detect the IR radiation-emitting off all the surfaces of an aircraft. Read this section carefully, improperly setting up the weapons selector can lead to the inability to use any weapons. You must first get a radar lock to fire SARH missiles, and you need to maintain that radar lock for the entire duration of the missile's flight, or else it will lose track and be wasted. I believe that this user mission is still available; in order to download it, follow the steps in the spoilerbelow: Step 2: Download the AGM vs Tu-4 user mission. Press the "weapon lock" button. It is up to you what you bind this to, but it is probably a good idea to use the same key bind as one of your normal secondary weapons (bombs, rockets, missiles, etc.). Now when I do the exact same thing, I switch from Aim7 to Aim9, exit the weapon selection mode and it goes back to aim7's. These missiles were eventually largely phased out in favour of ARH or active radar homing missiles, which are still widely used today along with all-aspect IR missiles. Operational Method 2: TV-Guidance METHOD IS NOW DISABLED! I'll make sure to do that next time I log in. 1.) A direct hit will usually knock out any vehicle. I don't know if that is important but I am in Simulator Battles test flight mode. Weapons selector mode is enabled, only the machine guns are being fired by the "Fire primary weapon" key. Just keep the target in the smaller inner circle, once you have a lock, change to normal cockpit view and fire. It will appear as a only a small black dot, but be sure to watch for it. In fact, you can go as far as being able to hit certain locations on your target. They allow the ability to steer the projectile to engage even moving targets. At least make it have a limited range so the TV guided part can be used that would work it doesnt need to circle the entire length of the world like dovabear to just then hit its target. So, I just got my first top-tier which is the german Mig-21MF, and just barely got the first missiles which are the R3-S (through literal torture of a grind, as the cannon is useless on this thing). Your email address will not be published. And then even when it's growling at least 50% of the time it still doesn't lock (this is at less than 3km usually, and the maximum range is supposedly 4km). If you still want step by step instructions (or if anyone needs them later on) here's what you have to do. Enabling sight stabilization will also display the range to the target in the gunner view. Thus, the equation for horizontal distance until the rocket motor burns out is as follows: Where DHis the horizontal distance that the missile travels over the time period and AAvgis the average acceleration of the rocket over that time period. After pressing "Fire air-to-air missile", 1-3 circles will display on your screen. These missiles have a camera in the nose that transmits a greyscale image to the pilot, allowing them to select and lock onto a high contrast static or moving target. Why, you might ask? 1. 1. chillobreeki 2 yr. ago. Press it only once or else you'll turn the thing off with the second press. Why should I bother learning operational method 1 (standard guidance) when I could just use operational method 2 (TV-guidance)? They were bad at tracking through ground clutter, but I'm pretty sure that many of their characteristics have been artificially nerfed, especially their speed. AB is a big mess: small maps with jets put into one place and "amazing" physics. The maximum range of the missile can be seen in the lower part of the view, in the example it is 3,500 m, and the bigger bar below it shows the range of the currently aimed point. The default keybinds for manual missile guidance will prevent you from manoeuvring your aircraft with the keyboard at the same time. The targeting device often features a significantly zoomed-in view which makes target acquisition easier. If there is more than one secondary weapon of the same type (e.g. everythingwarthunder.com, All rights reserved. that is your launch window. Top tier air combat can be daunting and sometimes cruel, but it can also be really fun, using your superior knowledge of the battlefield and usage of your avionics and missiles to defeat opponents. If you take a look at the missile stat card I posted above, you'll see that the missile has an explosive mass of 63.5 kg, which puts it on par with the American "Tiny Tim" and the Russian S21 "Tiny Ivan" unguided rockets. Required fields are marked *. you have no idea how long it took to find this information. default key is F to stabilize the camera. I'm not going to bother explaining this method much, because it's so easy and IMO overpowered that anyone can master it extremely quickly. Often an additional targeting pod is needed for this, which will take up one pylon. I am test flying the SU and I can't change the red box. Then you should bind the "Fire secondary weapon" control. https://warthunder.com/en/tournament/replay/366038188371661779. Several different types of AGMs exist: Manual Command to Line of Sight (MCLOS) also known as command guided, Semi Automatic Command to Line of Sight (SACLOS), Television guided (TV), Infrared guided (IR), Laser guided, and Beam riding. Do you happen to still have the file? 20112023 Gaijin Games Kft. Anything more and the controls are too twitchy. Remember guys, I just want to reiterate that even though the TV-guidance method is now disabled as it should be, this weapon system is still extremely lethal. -4. The intro of more current vehicles is leading to less than stellar knee jerk decision making by Gaijin. I've found myself at the wrong end of a couple R-60s and they only fired when I was around 1km from them. 3. Writer for EverythingWarThunder and owner of the 23rd Ghost Army historical battles group. Removing the camera view is just one of these. albeit IS-7 could do 8.3.. This is now fixed, however. 20112023 Gaijin Games Kft. I don't even think the weapon select on/off is even necessary, just the regular guns buttons and a drop/fire ordnance button and another to toggle what you are dropping/firing. I forward to remove camera from dumb-fire rockets and bombs aswell. Originally posted by Illusionyary: By default air to air is Alt+X to activate the missiles and Alt+Space to fire them once locked. These early missiles have a radar sensor in the rear of the missile that detects the radar beam of your aircraft. That was only once. I go over control key binds, how to use the radar, the missiles, and some tactics that can be used in games. To begin with, familiarise yourself with the following controls: To set up the weapons selector, you should first bind the "Fire primary weapon" control. What has changed? Once we know T, we candetermine the distance of the aircraft from the target at the moment of launch: Where D = the distance of the aircraft from the target at the moment of launch. Avg. The idea is to take an absolute beginner and get them a basic level of competence in operating these weapons. One final tip: Don't engage ground targets unless there are no enemy planes up or you have fighter support. Learn how your comment data is processed. Have you also assigned firing the missile to the correct command? So then, when do you launch the missile? Launch the missile, then quickly press and hold "U." It annoys me that guns don't override weapon select, I had one situation where a Sidewinder didn't follow my target, but I couldn't use guns since I was still in weapon select and by the time I realised this and turned it off I had overshot. Locking may be a bit more difficult. Then, just guide the missile to the target. How "tight" the missile can turn. First and foremost, I'd like to congratulate you on managing to acquire the S.U.M.M.E.R. There are 2 main types of IR missiles: Rear-aspect - These are more basic IR AAMs that use a passively-cooled seeker head to detect and track an aircraft's heat. First, we need to know how much total time elapsed between missile launch and missile impact, so we'll set up the equation as follows: Where Va= velocity of the aircraft in m/s, T = elapsed time, and Vm= the velocity of the missile. Cookie Notice Distance from target on launch: Vertically lead the target: 0.5 km (0.31 mi) 0.06km (0.04 mi), 1.0 km (0.62 mi) 0.11 km (0.07 mi), 1.5 km (0.93 mi) 0.26km (0.16 mi), 2.0 km (1.24 mi) 0.44 km (0.27 mi), 2.5 km (1.55 mi) 0.68 km (0.42 mi). It moves clockwise around the circle, and it shows the strength of the radar waves reflecting off the target - the more complete the circle, the stronger the signal. To use this method, start by approaching the battle zone at an altitude of about 2 km (1.24 mi/6562 ft). I'm just going to briefly touch on how to set up the missile controls. If your marker is not inside that inner box the missile will not launch. Its RB. These things home in on very hot things, like engines. Your video looks like AB and I play sim only. BTW this is a Heli-thread, not fighter jets Its not AB. Flares are infrared countermeasures fired off by aircraft to counter infrared homing (heat-seeking) missiles. 1) The "locking" indicator doesn't stay on..I have to almost constantly repress the key to bring up the circles, 2) Even with #1, it will often just not lock on (even when I looking right at the tail pipe of a mig17, it didn't lock at close to moderate range). Wait. Press this control once to spool it up. Step 2: Launching the missile. Thanks for the info. I don't know. Once set up, it allows the player to cycle through their primary and secondary weapons, and fire them using the same bound key. thank you so much. What am I missing?? And you can still control the missile whilst tracking the missile. The final step is to determine how long it takes from the moment the aircraft enters the missile launch zone to the launch point, a simple calculation: Where TL= the elapsed time in seconds from the moment that the aircraft enters the missile launch zone to the moment the missile should ideally be launched. At that point, the horizontal distance the rocket travels is determined by its horizontal velocity alone: Now, we can set up an equation for horizontal distance: Once we know "T," we cancalculate how much the missile drops during this period. With theupcoming intro of Several new war time franchises competition for player base will get intense for the foreseeable future. I've been practicing on bots with this setup, well almost. Powered by Invision Community, [Tutorial] How to use the AGM-12B Bullpup, Math, History, WarThunder, Vehicular Combat, Civil Discussions, U.S. Armed Forces, On the Tropic of C a N c E r a legitimate location. So, if you're team needs a fast CAS strike on an enemy tank, and you're not in danger of being shot down, use the missile like a conventional rocket! By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Is there a step by stepmanual how to exactly lock on and fire? As the camera does not provide any infrared information, it may sometimes be accidentally locked onto high contrast objects in the vicinity of the intended target instead, which can cause a miss if the target subsequently moves away from the area. Since you're in cockpit view you don't get to see the reticle, but it's smaller than the reflector sight/HUD on the cockpit. I think once I can be bothered, I'll just get rid of the "legacy" system and go to the weapon toggle and single button for weapon release, more realistic and fewer key binds. Scan this QR code to download the app now. While they generally have lower maximum overload than IR missiles, SARH missiles are not to be underestimated as you often don't see them coming from 10-30km+. This is the control which will fire your selected primary weapon (usually your guns), so you should bind it to the same key you usually use for your guns (left mouse button by default). Could you post videos showcasing each method individually? All trademarks, logos and brand names are the property of their respective owners. Take those both into 8.3 and 9.0 respectively and tell me what you think. It's not the same command like for ATGM's! Tried it out, and it works. You're using an early close-range missile. The missile would not fire in gunners view, I filed a bug report about it. Espaol - Latinoamrica (Spanish - Latin America). To prepare another shot you have to do it all over again. Once this is done you'll hear the growling tone and the missile is ready to lock. Anyone know the binding to shoot the damn things? The seeker's head detects the emitted radar waves bouncing off the target and follows the detection to track the target. This is a guide on how to use fox 1's in War Thunder. Twitter : https://twitter.com/TimsVarietyFacebook : https://www.facebook.com/TimsVarietyGaming/Twitch : https://www.twitch.tv/timsvariety==============================Mig-25 line art by Kaboldy, Used under Creative CommonsUncaged IR Seeker clip by M. Begenat, Used under Creative CommonsTIMESTAMPS00:00 Intro And Keybinds01:39 Types Of Missiles03:29 Reading A Missile Stat Card05:03 Range And Energy06:57 MCLOS Manual Command Line Of Sight Missiles08:20 SACLOS Beam Riding Missiles09:47 Caged-Seeker IR Guided Missiles11:32 Uncaged-Seeker IR Guided Missiles14:06 SARH Semi Active Radar Homing Missiles17:04 ARH Active Radar Homing (Plus IOG and DL)22:18 Weapon Selection And Cycling22:56 Missing Advanced Features, Closing Minutia This can also often be set to centre automatically on a designated point on the ground (the "sight stabilization" keybind), which accounts for the relative motion of the helicopter and maintains the image in the gunner view, thus allowing for smooth guidance of the missile even when the helicopter is performing extreme manoeuvres. Maximum overload during launch: Maximum Gs the aircraft can pull while the missile can still fire. Go to the dollar store and buy a can of computer cleaner and spray the shit out of your console. Exactly. I stabilize my drone camera then I turn on the laser and I cant fire any missiles. If the laser illumination lights up again they will proceed to follow the laser light. I recommend you only fire when your target is slow, travelling fairly straight, not turning as hard as it can (though if it's doing this vertically it will bleed energy and that's a great time to fire) and when your seeker isn't on the edges of its gimbal track, as it will easily lose guidance while you're still finding a lock. Once you're in this TV-guidance view, you can use your mouse to change the camera's angle, giving you a better visual on your line of sight. 2. Now, this method will most likely get nerfed at some point, because it's unbalanced and completely unfair, but while it's still working, I'll explain it. Operational method 1, granted, while it has a steeper learning curve, is both more historically accurate and balanced in terms of dynamic gameplay. Your video looks like AB and I play sim only. so point the drone at what i want to shoot at then fire air-to-ground missile? Where you press F is where the camera will automatically point when you get out of camera view and get back at it again. 3.) The 20 mm cannon pod is the Phantom FGR.2's only primary weapon, so it is selected and marked with an ">", it can be fired by pressing the "Fire primary weapon" key. I have x data to prove this! If you launch at the correct moment, you'll never have to worry about SPAAGs, because chances are, even after the missile hits, you'll still be out of their radar range. I am doing exactly as described in the video but the missile wouldn't fire. Hence they are all-aspect - they can detect and track an aircraft from any direction. So I unlocked the Sparrow, assigned a key to be able to switch between secondary weapons, and now I cannot fire any air-to-air missiles. This method allows you to have better visibility on your target and the whole battlefield in general as you guide the missile in. To fire an AAM, you first need to spool up the motor in the missile so it can begin acquiring a target. "3/1" means that of a total of three bombs, one is of the selected type (500 lb AN-M64A1). The "Switch secondary weapons" key can be pressed to activate the weapons selector and switch between launching the different suspended armaments. After you've got that down, the rest is just practice. Mark my words, the TV-guidancefeature is going to be disabledsome point. Essentially, you are "guiding the missile in" by showing it the target locked on radar. Then press 'Exit Weapon Selection' and fire what ever I selected. The rest of the time, it says "load factor too high" and doesn't fire!! I don't play SB. The bombs and rockets can be used independent of the missiles. Thank you all for reading, and good luck on the battlefield! I didn't realize that you couldn't use the TV cam in SB. Come on, get serious, why would there be a special lock on circle in gunners view just for the sidewinder as a bug??? Before going any further, I'd just like to clarify that this missile system is ONLY used on the FJ-4B VMF 232 that was offered during the Operation S.U.M.M.E.R. The the two consoles are essentially the same. I go to test flight mode, take off and there is actually a jet fighter passing by. You're wasting your time otherwise. SARH missiles were first introduced in the 1960s and were the next leap in air combat, establishing BVR (beyond visual range) engagements as the future and BVRAAMs as the main weapon. You should leave these untouched if you have already set them up. I cant find it anywhere. I did exactly that, assigned one button to lock on and one to fire but nothing happens. 3. The trick is setting the same key to both "fire guns" and "fire primary weapon". By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. The problem with trying to engage at close range is that doing so will put the Apache in huge amounts of danger. Semi Automatic Command to Line of Sight (SACLOS), Air-to-air missiles#Command guided missile controls, [Devblog] New features upcoming with the "Ixwa Strike" update - Tactical air-to-surface missiles, [Devblog] AGM-12B Bullpup: They can't dodge, https://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Air-to-ground_missiles&oldid=158840, Keys to control the yaw (side to side) movement of the missile, Keys to control the pitch (up and down) movement of the missile. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. However, SARH missiles have 3, with a slightly larger circle surrounding the seeker's head. The weapons selector is also useful in many other situations; such as for aircraft with multiple types of bombs, allowing you to chose which order to drop your bombs in, or multiple calibres of offensive armament, allowing you to conserve certain ammunition for more important engagements. This is a subreddit for War Thunder, a cross platform vehicular combat MMO developed by Gaijin Entertainment for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. All trademarks, logos and brand names are the property of their respective owners. This is particularly useful for aircraft with . Note that in-game these guidance systems might work differently than their respective real counterparts or the missiles might use a different guidance system than in reality. It is probably going to be the safest method of use, and the most rewarding, but also the hardest. The Skyflashes can be fired by pressing the "Fire secondary weapon" key. Maybe being able to get a lock in gunner view is the actual bug? Just keep the target in the smaller inner circle, once you have a lock, change to normal cockpit view and fire. This can allow for much easier and more accurate targeting than MCLOS missiles with fine adjustments using the mouse, but means that ample time should be given to allow the aircraft to pull up after the missile has struck. Weapons selector mode is enabled, all guns are being fired by the "Fire primary weapon" key. 1. Marathon. I still have buttons set for MGs and cannons, since I find that useful for mixed armament aircraft. IR missiles are the main WVRAAM used since the onset of missile technology in the early 1950s. Information and UI is current as of the \"Danger Zone\" update in June 2022 which added the F-14 and Active Radar missiles.==============================I'm all over the place! It's way too overpowered and easy to use. Since the missile reaches it's top speed of 600 m/s after engine burnout, we can calculate the distance at which the missile flies relatively straight with little drop. 144K views 8 months ago This complete guide to air to air missiles in War Thunder goes over basic missile concepts, guidance types, keybinds, and how to use them in the game. Try this. Yes, that's a way of doing it, but there's still the option . A "Weapon selection on" message will appear at the bottom of the screen, A ">" symbol will appear next to the selected primary and secondary weapon. The SACLOS guidance system improves on MCLOS by having a device that calculates correction commands such that the gunner only has to point the sight of the targeting device at the target, and the appropriate correction commands will be performed by the device. You'll need to assign key bindings for both. But, Gaijin's old MO used to be to allow the players that earned said vehicles around a month before they would implement nerfs so they could at least enjoy their hard earned vehicles for that period. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. After using the above control to fire the missile (MCLOS & SACLOS missiles don't spool up), guide it in with the following. speed of aircraft during attack run: After entering missile launch zone, launch missile after: 400 kph (249 mph) 27.4 sec, 500 kph (311 mph) 18.8 sec, 600 kph (373 mph) 12.6 sec, 700 kph (435 mph) 7.87sec, 800 kph (497 mph) 3.58sec, 900 kph (559 mph) 0.00 sec. I do plan to do this; unfortunately, atm, my recording software is broken. Pubis (Banned) Mar 12, 2019 @ 3:02pm. no, you really don't BUUUUUUUUUT if people don't Gaijin will prolly decide its cuz they are under powered and buff the out of them.