they were still on sale for 199$ a full week after the Ruger Days sale, so figured, why the hell not? We show you how. The mag holds 7, which is a bit more reassuring than the j-frame max of 5. I like the gun more than I expected to. Copyright 2023 National Rifle Association, Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, Affordable Everyday Carry: Ruger Announces EC9s Pistol, Tested: Arex ReX Zero 1TC Tactical Compact Pistol, Tested: Ruger LCRx 3-inch Barrel .22 Revolver, The Armed Citizen May 1, 2023 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New: Lone Wolf Arms DUSK 19 Pistol | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, NRA Women | The Armed Citizen April 28, 2023, I Carry: Shadow Systems CR920 9mm Pistol in a Mission First Tactical Holster | An Official Journal Of The NRA, The Rifleman Report: To The Patriotic American, Editors Choice: Rock Island Armory 5.0 ST, Preview: Burdette Custom Holsters Detective OWB SA-35 Leather Holster, The Keefe Report: True Velocity's Leap | An Official Journal Of The NRA, The Keefe Report: On The Range With An American Hero | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Trust But Verify: Function-Checking Your Guns | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Rifleman Review: Winchester Wildcat 22 SR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, WATCH: 2022 National Sporting Clays Championship | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, WATCH: Colt Python Revolver History | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, I Have This Old Gun: Colt Military 1908 Pocket Hammerless | An Official Journal Of The NRA, I Have This Old Gun: Terry Carbine | An Official Journal Of The NRA, I Have This Old Gun: U.S. Army M1871 Rolling Block | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Armed Citizen protected by Smith & Wesson, NRA Women | The Armed Citizen April 21, 2023, NRA Women | The Armed Citizen April 14, 2023: Never Stop Fighting, #SundayGunday: Smith & Wesson Model 350 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Whats in the Washington State Gun Ban | An Official Journal Of The NRA, NRA Hunters' Leadership Forum | Hunters and Beyond: NRA Women Are All Under One Roof, NRA Hunters' Leadership Forum | Colorado Bill Defining Wolves as Experimental Population Heads to House Floor Today, Hardware: Henry Single Shot Turkey Shotgun | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Little Guys To The Rescue: Federals Force X2 Shorty Shotshells | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Review: Duke Cannon Supply Co. Rated muzzle velocity in a duty-size barrel is 1,320 fps with a corresponding muzzle energy of 445 ft-lbs. I set my expectations unnecessarily low. Though I have been lucky to handle untold quantities of pistols over the years, Id never consider myself an expert on the subject. I used a variety of loads, and the EC9s handled every one of them. Im in total agreement. That starts with safety. I have an EC9S and also have larger hands. The sights are machined into the slide, making them both robust and un-adjustable. Ruger can pass that reduction in cost up to the consumer without sacrificing quality and reliability.. All Rights Reserved. But do you know how to properly use them? The results reflect just as much on my ability as a shooter as on the gun, but even a mediocre handgunner like me landed all eight rounds on target and four in the center A zone. Many will say thats better anyway, so it may be a moot point for you. Breakdown and cleaning are super simple. Its a shame Ruger discontinued the LC9s Pro. NO failures to feed or extract! Ruger determined to destroy the pistol and send a replacement. The slide is 0.9 inch thick and so is the grip. The Ruger EC9 in 9mm seems to be similar. For almost 75 years, Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. has been a model of corporate and community responsibility. Our motto, "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens," echoes . My EDC is a belted holster that keeps my LC9s close and comfortable to my body. Velocities ranged from 827 fps to 1,163 fps, measured 12 feet from the guns muzzle. It should come as no small comfort for any patriotic American to know that the countrys firearm industry is vibrant and productive, still faithfully serving the needs of armed citizens, law-enforcement officers and military personneljust as it has for more than two centuries. Another key feature of Critical Duty ammunition that makes it desirable for critical use is its nickel-plated cases. Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. Getting back on topic, it will be difficult for me to trust another small Ruger seni-auto after what I have been through this year, no matter how good the reviews. Ruger knows how to make inexpensive, reliable guns, and the EC9s certainly fits that bill. He told me to send them both in and they would be given special attention. I shot 5-shot groups with each load, and they all performed more-or-less equally well. It's around 5.5 to 6.5 pounds of pressure. As for the finish, Ruger went with a black oxide, which is cheaper than the blued finish found on the LC9. I dont think I even put 100 rds down range that first session, it was so frustrating. As such, it utilizes a similar design without some of the additional features. I ordered some new extension floor plates for the rest of my mags and have not had a problem since. I intentionally wanted one without the Safety. The Ruger Security-9 is reliable per my testing and came out of the box running. The bullets patented Flex Tip eliminates clogging and aids bullet expansion. HOT DOG, they ARE going to have these guns running right!!!! The EC9s also features a magazine safety, which prevents the handgun from firing without a magazine inserted. The external safety is only one of four safety features. Things like a broken striker, stuck slide, doesnt feed. help sites earn revenue by advertising and sending traffic to Drawing the slide back, I familiarized myself with the controls of the EC9s. My only complaints are the manual safety (no doubt encouraged by the Ruger legal department) and the lack of ambidextrous controls (Im a lefty). Well to me this aint a range gun, target shooting or anything else other than Get the hell away from me gun. I already mentioned I would have liked a shorter and lighter trigger, but I am also perfectly willing to concede that concealed carry guns are probably better off with longer and even heavier pulls. Buy Now. Guns, Fixed sights. Slight thumb pressure against the back of the slide was enough to cause the round to chamber, in most cases. I borrowed Rugers company slogan for the EC9s for the headline of this report. Sigs 115g FMJ performed the best, but all loads produced acceptable accuracy. This gun was definitely made on a Monday or Friday. As you can see from the chart, its standard deviation was in the low double digits, indicating the ammo is consistent, and its accuracy in the EC9s was very good. Rounds used in both guns were W-W white box with 95 grain flat point FMJ and Precision One 90 grain XTP in standard pressure loading. As for accuracy, the EC9ss overall average was 3.39 inches for five-shot groups at 25 yards. . The hour-glass shape of the bullet allows the Mechani-Lokt black belt, which is made of black nickel-plated brass, to lock the bullets brass jacket and lead core together, thereby controlling expansion and providing optimal terminal performance. It is important to use the locking device on your Ruger firearm when the firearm is stored or immediate use is not planned. There are no forward grasping grooves. The third time for a stuck slide and barrel. The round polymer magazine release button is textured for better purchase. Available in different sizes and red dot ready, it'll fit your needs, whatever they are. Interesting, but I am hesitant to buy another Ruger semi-auto. As we near the end of the second decade of the 21st century, the sub-compact 9 mm semi-automatic pistol has taken its place at the top of the pocket-pistol and daily-carry hill. Theres not much to say about the fixed front and rear sights. Finally I had 300 contiguous failures to fire: the firing pin apparently was broke. Glad I chose to get this firearm. Now available to civilians, its called Active Duty. I bought a hogue grip and it feels amazing in the hand now. Also, maybe I missed it, but I didnt quite catch what the E stood for or what the side-by-side differences were in the EC9s and the LC9s. It also comes with a flush-fit 7-round mag. Firearm Features. (with finger-extension magazine baseplate), FINISH: Black slide, Muddy Girl camo frame, SAFETY: Manual thumb safety, trigger safety, magazine disconnect. Nickel-plated cases simplify chamber checks in reduced light, and they also feed and extract more reliably because nickel plating doesnt acquire the patina that can cause drag and failure to feed or extract reliably like traditional brass cases. The Ruger EC9s is a lower-cost version of the LC9s with fewer and wider cocking serrations, an aluminum insert, black oxide finish on the slide and barrel, a checkered grip, and fixed rear sights that are built into the construction. It also proved to be more than accurate enough to get the job doneand Davidsons offers some cool versions of this great little pistol. The Sig Sauer 115g JHP shot the smallest group, but each was well within an acceptable size range. About the author: The pistols slide is finished in matte black oxide. I solved my problem by buying the Ruger LCR .357Mag revolver. (My Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact often fails to feed the Blazer ammo.) The same went for my wife, and whatI think she perhapsenjoyed most was hitting what she aimed at. I have a malfunction after two rounds. While waiting for the first to return, and reading more of the comments about how this or that persons LCP has never jammed in hundreds or thousands of rounds and eats everything I feed it, I purchased another from a different source in hopes of getting a gun from a different batch or at least one made on a Wednesday instead of a Monday or a Friday, as the one out for repair seemed to have been. *. Now I know that I have a reliable and concealable firearm that is ready to perform if needed. I am a gun nut though, and that is the only qualification I can claim expertise in. SIG Sauer is working to tame the 9 mm pocket rocket with the new 365 ammunition line designed specifically for sub-compacts with barrels under 4" in length. The single-stack design of the pistoland its compact size seem to square up the grip area some. The first (and best) of the two was a little better, but still what I would consider unacceptable for defensive carry, jamming maybe two or three times out of every two magazines (6+1) fired in it. revolver with the slim profile and quicker reloading speeds of the less powerful pocket .380s. Guess all my Rugers were made on Thursdays. Either from holstering or drawing, whatever dont know but safety goes on to easily! If you can get the muzzle pointed in the right direction and pull the trigger, the EC9s will follow through. (I paid less for a brand new lc9s than the listed price of an ec9.). I have big, long hands,, so the LCP was hard for me to hold on to. The hollowpoint bullet also features a driving band at the base and spiral cuts at the nose. Grigori, the frustration of buying a gun that many others have had no trouble with, including myself and my Son in law is more than a let down and boy do I here you! It might jam every 50-100 rds or so. This specific handgun market has serious contenders like the staggered-stack S&W M&P Shield Plus and the Canik TP9 Elite SC that threaten its pedestal, but it still manages to hang on, even if by a thread. Its somewhat translucent but bright and lets the underneath white to sho through. Got a hot tip? When I finally trained myself to stop doing that, my missfeed problem went away. Satisfied with the handguns accuracy, I moved to shooting with speed (or, at least, as well as I can approximate it) from seven yards. The magazine blank ensures a loaded magazine is not inadvertently inserted into the pistol. EC9s MAX-9 Security-9 . The gun was also quite comfortable. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. A reliable, American made, slim, lightweight 7+1 9MM at a great price point. Small 9s like this can be quite snappy with defensive loads, especially some of the +P options on the market. Visit Ruger to learn more about Ruger EC9s by clicking here. With the affordability issue out of the way, lets take a close look at the EC9s. Im not a fan of the black sites, so I simply painted them. It did feel a bit small, which was no surprise, but it was certainly serviceable. Since then, this safety program was expanded to encompass the entire Ruger firearm line. It fires every time. The front sight is 0.160 inch tall and 0.133 inch thick. Two are relatively new, and two are not so new, but they are worthy of notice. But is it really a worthy replacement to the LC9s? My only complaint is more about me, and my preferences, than the pistol itself. In the last year, I purchased two original model LCPs, NIB. By signing up you agree to Guns.com's I have almost 30 years in law enforcement, eight of those spent in SWAT as Team Leader, Point-Man and Sniper. Last year I needed an example of a popular pocket 9 mm to use as a photography model, so Ruger kindly loaned me the LC9s Pro. The sights are a simple black and almost impossible to pick up against a dark background. All sides of the grip are checkered in texture, which is rough enough for a stable grip. Gun Made may receive a small commission from any sales that link Theyre machined into the slide, and you cant add new sights if they dont work for you. All Storage: Cases, Safes, Cabinets; Furniture & Cabinets; Gun Cases & Gun Storage; Gun Safes & Trigger Locks; Survival Gear; Tactical Gear; There is also an extra interchangeable flush-fitting baseplate (it reduces the pistols height by a half-inch) along with an operators manual, a cable-style gun lock, and a special polymer magazine blank that is used during the takedown process. Slide Material: Through-Hardened Alloy Steel Not much room to carry full size auto and the locals get very excited if they see a "gun." I've carried a North American Pug in 0.22 mag. The EC9s ate whatever I fed it and hit the target to boot. It utilizes a slender steel slide with rounded edges to avoid snagging on clothing. All corners and edges are beveled and rounded for non-snag draw and reduced holster wear. I purchased two more on E-Bay; two will be loaded and one empty each month; I will rotate the empty one every month, giving each magazine spring a month of rest for each two months of being fully loaded. The first version of the LC9, with its exposed hammer, double-action trigger, manual thumb safety and magazine disconnect, was launched during the 2011 SHOT Show. I would check to see if someone else, an experienced shooter of small frame guns, can fire both guns and see what happens. Shooters have a lot of choices when it comes to personal-defense 9mm ammo, but no matter which load or loads you choose, the Ruger EC9s is an excellent everyday carry gun. Ive had various other 9mm handguns and was a bit sceptical about one of this size. The EC9s is larger and heavier than the companys LCP pistol, and that gives the EC9s more grasping surface and weight for better controllability when firing stout 9mm ammo. to products or services on this site. Sweet. NOW the bad! for 338 ft.-lbs. The Mossberg 500 Pump Action Shotgun is one of the most popular home defense shotguns on the market. I ran 300+ rds through it, hoping to break it in. I have a difficult time believing that. Ive even had several people that I convinced to never use a semi auto and stick with a wheel gun. RUGER EC9S $449.99 Used Excellent Add to Cart RUGER EC9S STANDARD $249.99 New Add to Cart RUGER EC9S COMPACT $313.99 New Add to Cart RUGER EC9S $290.99 New Add to Cart RUGER. The Ruger EC9s are perfectly good guns, and AG holsters are mediocre but functional. I would not carry either of these newer guns for any reason unless they were literally the only gun I had or had ammo for. Iv had my LC9s Pro for a few years now. Also, the EC9s is thin and lightweight, easier to carry than my PX4 Storm S/C, although both will fit in my pocket. It isnt perfect, but it does what a self-defense handgun is supposed to do: shoot where its pointed every time. I expected to encounter, at the very least, a failure to feed or return to battery during the initial break-in period. Entry-level pistols akin to my old P89 are everywhere and many of them nowadays are polymer-framed, as are many carry pistols. If you haven't figured it out by now, I like the Ruger LC9s series of semi-automatic pistols. The pistol features a magazine disconnect, which renders it incapable of firing when the magazine is removed, even if there is a round in the chamber. Ill give you my pros first, of which I think there are plenty. All Shooting Times subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Many factors must be weighed when choosing ones self-defense ammo, and Id like to call attention to four of the factory loads I fired for this review. The E stands for Essential, and the EC9s is essentially a more cost-effective 9mm addition to the Ruger handgun family. Ruger managed to deliver the EC9s at such a low price by reducing the . Unlike the EC9s, the Kahrs drift-adjustable, white bar-dot sights really make a difference in accuracy. for 289 ft.-lbs. Better to be upgunned then not.Lifes to short to be frustrated. A round would be fired and the next round from the magazine would stop, with its nose against the feed ramp. Do you carry a Ruger EC9s? EC9s MAX-9 Security-9 . With it, I can get all of my fingers on the grip frame, and I have medium-size hands. Sig is facing lawsuits because people are claiming the P320 isn't drop proof. I have two Ruger LCPs, both of which I hand painted the sites white and that worked well. I have been very pleased with it, have fired several hundred rounds through it, and have had no issues. Dont point it at anyone or anything. A thousand rounds in and only TWO failures to eject (both when the gun was very dirty). The EC9S has fewer serrations than the LC9S, and the finishing is by black oxide on the barrel and slide. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv1pw6xmOS8), Taurus GX4 First Shots: The Budget Micro Double Stack 9mm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoI_zrmKihU), Ruger EC9S general overview. From a benchrest with targets set at 7 yards, the 365 115-gr. He escaped that statist paradise at a young age, married a sixth-generation Texan, and currently lives in Tyler. Barrel Finish: Black Oxide I gave the pistol a vigorous course of draw and point exercises, which quickly began to give me the feel for this gun. Havent fired an ec9 so cant compare. Reach Biometric Safe - Ruger LC9 / LC9s / EC9s . After loading the magazine, I pointed the pistol downrange at my targetand started squeezing. The 9mm round is cheap (as of this writing) and so it doesnt cost an arm/leg/firstborn child to practice with the EC9s. The slide is steel, and it has six wide grasping grooves on each side at the rear. As it often happens, we ran through a lot more ammo than I anticipated in a short amount of time. Truth be told, it's a great little CCW, though the removable single-stack magazine means that it only offers a capacity of 7+1. At the shooting range, I took some time to compare the removable LC9s 3-dot sight system to the more budget-friendly fixed sights of the EC9s. I bought the EC9S as I wanted something a little bigger to carry than my church-gun (the LCP). Welcome to Impact Guns, the nation's top online gun dealer. Otherwise I agree with the eval of the platform. The original trigger was universally panned by the public and critics alike for its heavy, sluggish pull. Next post: Lead Faucet Tactical Accelerated Rifle & Pistol Course: Everything is a Rehearsal for Something, Previous post: Nemo Omen 300 Win Mag AR Gets A Turbo Charger, Your email address will not be published. With a price close to $300 than $400 dollars, this is a great buy in a high-capacity 9mm. Hi there, I'm Brady and I'm the owner of GunMade.com. It has a double-action-only, striker-fired mechanism, with a short, light, and crisp trigger pull. If you have larger hands, I recommend the Hogue grip, which can soak up a lot of recoil and provide that much-needed stability. You got purple, cerakote, one with the synthetic grips, FDE, Muddy Girl, etc. RUGER EC9S Sold Out Sold out The EC9s is one of those striker-fired compact carry-type pistols that uses a single-stack magazine to keep it thin and easy to conceal. No safety! Stay in the know. Its certainly manageable, but not all that fun to work with. The Ruger LC9s now discontinued had a nice blue finish and changeable metal sights that increased the cost, but they were prettier. Even better, it's .9 inches wide and weighs 17.1 ounces unloaded. of Israeli Defense Forces, joins David Fortier for an exclusive interview for Shotgun News. Amazon.com. I cant help but feel that it may be in your shooting style. Check out our Taurus GX4 review for more info on aftermarket parts, disassembly, and ammo recommendations. That being said, if you want a handgun with adjustable and replaceable sights, you should definitely browse other handguns. Remington designed its Golden Saber Black Belt line of handgun ammunition to be the pinnacle of stopping power. Engineered in conjunction with law enforcement professionals, the Black Belt ammunition was initially available only to law enforcement, but its been offered to civilians for almost three years now. Yes, you can use Ruger LC9s magazines for the EC9s and vice versa. Rugers main idea was to put the LC9s out of commission and introduce a lower-cost version of the same gun with milled-in fixed sights, black oxide finish, fewer and wider cocking serrations on the slide, and a lighter trigger pull. An excellent choice for the first time gun owner. The Ruger EC9s is a reliable, accurate, light, and useful handgun with much to recommend. The EC9S is a striker-fired semi-auto designed for the concealed carry market. If the safeties are a bit too close for your comfort, I suggest you install some new retention springs. There I found the Cobalt slate blue framed EC9s, with a magazine, chamber flag, a standard throwaway lock, and a strange orange magazine that appeared to be for training or something. It features both a manual safety and a trigger safety, the blade type that deactivates the trigger safety when the trigger is properly pressed. All work well to prevent accidental discharge. Ill et u r a thumb high guy and ill bet if u grip the gun without the thumb high(crush grip) it will stop the jamming cycle we get guys in all the time complaining about the lousy gun only to discover it was the lousy thumb high grip causing the jam. I noted that Ruger never mentioned taking this step and saw no visual indication of such on the returned guns. It may not be limp wrist but your high rate of issues with multiple weapons that the mfg had checked out would have me asking a reliable shooting buddy to watch your technique for any clues as to what you might be doing differently or oddly that might explain the jams. What?yeah. The standard EC9s retails for $299. Most polymer striker fired weapons have the same thing as a glock safe action if you look up the safe action of a glock it will be . Additionally, another weird thing is that you need to place the orange magazine-shaped part in the gun to pull the trigger and start the disassembly process.