But I know actors like to build up the interior lives of their characters, so did you give him a real name even just to yourself? Mission Impossible?! A $60 million cume instead of a $150 million cume for Tenet in China means Warner Bros. gets $15 million instead of $37.5 million, so were not talking deal-breaking grosses. To look at John David Washington's 2020 is to study what it is to be a working actor in a time of COVID. He was eventually drafted by the UFL's California Redwoods, which later became the Sacramento Mountain Lions after moving to Sacramento. 'Just get up, look at the camera, say the line.' He has revealed, however, that he has struggled with finding girlfriends and maintaining intimate partnerships. John David Washington Highest Rated: 96% BlacKkKlansman (2018) Lowest Rated: 32% Amsterdam (2022) Birthday: Jul 28, 1984 Birthplace: Los Angeles, California, USA The son of Academy Award winner. John David is one of the Harlem school children who shout, "I'm Malcolm X" at the end of the film. Find out after the jump how much John David Washington is worth today. And as fate has it, it's our movie that people are going to get back to. "I held it together until I got in the car, then I cried like a baby. It was interesting to watch you find a new gear here with a character that's more reserved. However, it would take almost two decades, and a short stint in the NFL, until John David would pick up his next acting credit. His breakthrough came playing Ron Stallworth in Spike Lee's 2018 crime film BlacKkKlansman, for which he received both Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Award nominations. Some people also commented that he was meant for the same just like his parents, who were also well established as actors. Tenet saving theaters, which admittedly was more of a media narrative than anything branded about by the studio (or Nolan himself), doesnt entirely work if Tenet is merely okay. Washington's role presented an unusual challenge, in that he is a cipher by designit's no coincidence that his name is simply The Protagonist. We are sure, John David Washington must have earned a lot from his profession as an American footballer. You've got the spy genre down now, we've got to get you in Mission 8. I'm sure you can't say much, but blink twice, maybe. And then came his first big gig . So I hid who my father was. "Tenet" is undoubtedly Washington's biggest role to date with director Christopher Nolan pushing all the narrative as well as temporal boundaries to create a spy thriller like no other. I thought Inception, there was a hint there too, that there could be a sequel. It was very proper. The footballer signed with the Team on August. As an international man of mystery must have, he has different aliases, he has different personalities. My chore was to make sure I'm down for dinner in time." An action epic revolving around international espionage, time travel, and evolution. We may earn commission from links on this page, but we only recommend products we back. placement: 'Below Article Thumbnails 3rd', John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, and Elizabeth Debicki reveal what it was like working on Christopher Nolan's latest film, 'Tenet.'Subscribe to EW . Tenet star John David Washington is all praise for Christopher Nolan as he believes his collaboration with the ace filmmaker has helped him improve his own craft. The 36-year-old actor took on the role of Ron Stallworth, the first Africa American detective in the Colorado Springs police department who, in the early 1970s, went undercover with his white partner played by Adam Driver to infiltrate the Klu Klux Klan. As the school's running back, John David would rack up numerous awards and still holds the school's all-time record for rushing yards. After having a quite successful and enriching time in the sports industry, he shifted his career towards the entertainment industry. He appears as an operative for a secret organization that plans to stop a time-traveler from wreaking havoc on the planet. These actions inspire all his fans out there. Not less!, In an interview earlier this year with The Journal, Washington shared that he used to hide his famous fathers identity by claiming he was in jail or was a construction worker. I don't want to give too much away, but shout out to our incredible producers, Ashley Levinson and Katia Elizabeth Washington, who are responsible for our protocols and safety. Johns estimated net worth is $10 Million as of May 2023. One thing Id like to note as a wrap. There's indie, and then there's, you know what? Shug McGaugheys Son: Following in His Fathers Footsteps ? Thats encouraging as the reviews are good-but-not-great and the buzz is as much focused on what doesnt work (the impossible-to-hear dialogue, the thin characters) as what does (the innovative action, the performances, the sense of IMAX-friendly scale). Thats why cinema can never die, and why the moviegoing experience should live on.". Most action movies go for the hero with the big personality, all sarcasm and cracking jokes. IMAX No real details have been given about the movie's plot, but Deadline has reported the production's extensive safety precautions, which included the entire cast and crew being quarantined during the production, as well as two weeks before and after, and regular daily temperature checks. His training involves . The film earned a promising $53.6 million in its opening week and dropped just 37% in holdover territories. The film opened with a frankly disappointing $30.06 million in China, with a 3.35x weekend multiplier. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. As an adult, Washington gave his first film performance in the 2017 musical drama "Love Beats Rhymes," directed by rapper RZA. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. I hope people will see how harmful words are and how irresponsible we can be when saying the wrong things at the wrong time to certain people. "That definitely sets the tone, as our intro to the character," Washington said of that sequence. But it felt personal because he was literally standing next to [me] on the poster. What is Tenet about? You dont know what youre talking about. window._taboola = window._taboola || []; Nonetheless, studios usually only get back around 25% of the ticket price from China, so this was more about a sexier global total than hard revenue. "I think what this character is dealing with is the rediscovery of self.". Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. They really are. This movie has earned over $ 88 million inthe worldwide box compare to the production budget of $15 million. John David Washington is an American actor and former professional football player who has a net worth of $8 million. So has all of this hard work paid off for Washington? "Ballers" ran from 2015 to 2019, and John David won plaudits for his performance as Ricky Jerret, a controversial but talented wide receiver. By clicking Accept, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. Underrated problem with TENET: John David Washington is a very bad actor, he wrote. "There are moments when you can't explain exactly what it is, but it's a feeling that [The Protagonist] is just becoming aware of himself," he reflected. Did he just yell Protagonist at you all the time? If confused friends or family ask you to explain it, can you? It's not over until it's given to the people, and he lets that settle in for a while. Perhaps most importantly, how well did it hold in the territories in which it opened last week? Have you guys had conversations? Repeatedly. I felt like it was personal. Absolutely. However, it wasn't over, and his time in the spotlight had really just begun. Is this it for us? Katia Washington, born in 1986, graduated from Yale University and produced Malcolm & Marie. All of these white actors and actresses that have gotten by on nepotism for decades and yet they want to single out John David Washington who doesnt even let casting directors know who his family is at auditions. What he represented for us in this industry, it's up to us to continue that legacy. Heck the strong buzz overseas last week may have been partially from territories where the film featured territory-specific subtitles, rendering the whole Why cant I hear this important exposition? issue relatively moot. "I didn't expect that at all," John David told The Times. He was our leading man. For Washington, it's self-discovery. Whats next? Also, his performance in this film resulted in him having cast in some other great films of this time, like Tenets spy film. So you survived the summer. My grounded understanding of it came from the character, the Protagonist. The director told Esquire: "The film has more action than any film I've ever done. Copyright 2017-2018 Free Articles by ecelebritymirror.com, All rights reserved. Your email address will not be published. Those two together make some beautiful work. Access your favorite topics in a personalized feed while you're on the go. John David Washington is an American actor and former professional football player who has a net worth of $8 million. Besides, he's only recently gotten started. He later wakes up in a hospital bed to discover that the pill was fakea test, designed by his shadowy employers. This is only looked down upon with black people. That being said, I'm sure he's got all kinds of stuff in his vault that he's been working on for years. It is quite huge in numbers. These actions inspire all his fans out there. After his blockbuster film, BlacKkKlansman, he did not have to look back in life as it brought him other projects too. John played in NFL Europe for the Rhein Fire in the year 2007. He attended Morehouse College, an HBCU (whose alumni include Spike Lee, Samuel L Jackson, and Dr Martin Luther King), on an athletic scholarship. I just wanted people to see this, I wanted people to experience the movies again. Professionally, Washington spent four years as the running back for the United Football League's Sacramento Mountain Lions. He definitely hasn't expressed to me that he's going to do it again or wants to do it again. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. If the ratio gets to 1000/1 Ill release the kraken (my opinion that he was also very bad in Blackkklansman), Once such user was Matthew A. Cherry, director of Hair Love. He simple wrote in response, Counterpoint. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Now that the movies out, hes ready to exhale. It would be nice if we could hear the dialogue. We're just going to make something in the backyard with our friends and family. The discussion landed on the fairness of that criticism when there are plenty of white actors getting by on nepotism to obtain their roles.