True confession: I really like Joe Turners version. On December 13, 1963, a second session was held, with the same two men in charge. Though Bradley did co-produce (The) Train Kept a Rollin' and most of the hottest tracks, the truly awful stuff comes from Bradley channeling his affection for the Nashville Sound. WebJohnny Burnette Albums and Discography | AllMusic Discography Johnny Burnette Follow Artist + Co-leader of a popular rockabilly trio with his brother Dorsey, with whom he later enjoyed success as a songwriting duo. Though the Rock n Roll Trio never received the accolades they truly deserved during their lifetimesand still havent received their due recognition from the idiots in Clevelandthey are enshrined in the Rockabilly Hall of Fame and the Memphis Music Hall of Fame. All By Myself (Nashville, July 2, 1956): This Fats Domino cover is a good place to start because the compare-and-contrast between the original and the cover is stark, to say the least. Birthplace: Memphis, TN. This sucker is fierce. When he received the news, Dorsey Burnette called Paul Burlison, who flew out to comfort him and attend Johnny's funeral. John Mayall Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton, Charlie Parker Best of the Complete Savoy & Dial Studio Recordings, Frank Sinatra Songs for Swingin Lovers, Les McCann and Eddie Harris Swiss Movement, Louis Armstrong: The Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings, James Brown & The Famous Flames Live at the Apollo, Maddy Prior and June Tabor Silly Sisters, Hank Williams 20 of Hank Williams Greatest Hits, Jimmie Rodgers The Essential Jimmie Rodgers, Jimmy Buffett Changes in Attitudes, Changes in Latitudes, Paul Simon Graceland Classic Music Review, Ali Farka Tour & Toumani Diabat In the Heart of the Moon, Christine and the Queens Chaleur Humaine, Milton Nascimento, L Borges Clube Da Esquina, The Best Bonnie Tyler Tina Turner Noah Reid, The Rodeo Song Garry Lee and the Showdown/Gaye Delorme, Anti-War Songs Edwin Starr June Tabor/Eric Bogle Dire Straits, Book Review: Sleeping with Patty Hearst by Mary Lambeth Moore, Desert Island Movies and Television Series, a summary of the study on Linealboxing.com, music journalist Miles Raymers contention, based on an analysis of the track performed by Vince Gordon and Peter Dijkema, Johnny Burnette and the Rock 'n' Roll Trio Tear It Up. BTW, in the interview Burlison says it was his grandmother who taught him how to play and pick the guitar. In one famous incident, he was knocked out in a tackle by future singer Red West. The caption under the photograph read: "Before > the Tragedy.". Sin embargo, el salto a la fama se dio cuando comenz su carrera en solitario. Johnny [Burnette] was playing an E chord and I was playing in a G position but Id take my fingers off and play in octaves [using the thumb and middle or index finger]. This is another trio-penned piece, and though the lyrics come close to nonsensical, the energy coming from the band is undeniable. Singer Johnny Burnette Was on Way to Greatness, Photo: http://www.burnette-rock.com/BYEJOHN.JPG [1], FROM: The Memphis Sun (August 27th 1964) ~By Hank Zevallas. The Burnettes legacy has remained prominent with the re-release of both their trio work and solo pop recordings. . I wish theyd had sock hops when I was a teen. Wiki User. Holly played bass guitar for a short time with the band. This was followed by "Gumbo"/"Me And The Bear" (44011), which was released on March 6, 1959 and finally "Sweet Baby Doll"/"Ill Never Love Again" (44017), which was released on June 24, 1959. [citation needed] This turn of events left them in a bit of a pickle because they were no longer a trio, and their records had been released under the name the Rock and Roll Trio. Burlisons guitar sound is unusually thin, Dorseys bass and Eddies drums are barely audible and while theres no problem with Johnnys delivery, his voice is shoved to the back by excessive reverb. Dont make me nervous, cause Im holdin a baseball bat. Johnny Burnette wrote Tear It Up, Rock Billy Boogie and Lonesome Tears in My Eyes. Not one. An autopsy reveals that the cause of death was a combination of poor decision-making, bad luck and a brotherly squabble. Today I believe the mystery is solved: It wasnt Paul Burlison playing a Fender Esquire/Tele at all, but instead Grady Martin playing with his trademark fat tone, used on numerous rockabilly recordings. On January 27, 1956, Elvis released Heartbreak Hotel, following that mega-hit with three more chart-toppers in quick succession. Dreamin' and Youre Sixteen were about as far away from raw and energetic as you could get. Johnny received a writer's award for the latter song andfrom then on his career began to mushroom. Ganaron tres concursos seguidos y en una de las finales consiguieron como premio un contrato de grabacin con Coral Records, convirtindose oficialmente en The Rock and Roll Trio. In 1961, however, Johnny and Dorsey had two instrumental releases on the small Infinity and Gothic labels. After various other jobs, including a stint on a Mississippiriverboat, the singer traveled to Los Angeles to break intoshow business but returned to Memphis soon afterward,penniless but still holding onto his dream. The caption under the photograph read: "Before the Tragedy. Sus grabaciones ms conocidas se las grab la Coral Records con sesiones en las que haba msicos del llamado Equipo A de Nashville: Grady Martin en la guitarra, Bob Moore en el bajo y Buddy Harman en la batera. They were not only at the forefront of the burgeoning rock n roll sound, but in many ways, years ahead of their contemporaries. If I didnt know better, I might have assumed that the percussion was coming from a drum machine managed by a guy who picked the first pattern on the screen, hit play and promptly fell asleep. Its been covered by half the musicians on the planet, she exaggerated, but it sure feels that way. WebHe died on August 14, 1964 in Clear Lake, California, USA. After leaving high school, Burnette tried his hand at becoming a professional boxer, but after one fight with a sixty-dollar purse and a broken nose or an encounter with Norris Ray, a top paycheck of $150, he decided to quit boxing. especialmente popular entre 1960 y 1964. Dorseys presence on the bass is more apparent here than in most of the tracks, and it syncs well with Johnnys choice to go deep. Some of the blame for the uneven nature of the recordings can be attributed to the split loyalties of producer Owen Bradley, who produced the Nashville sessions (Bob Thiele took care of production in New York). Despite the film appearance and three more single releases and one LP release, the group failed to achieve any chart success. Thurley was the widow of early Rock 'n Roll artist Johnny Burnette, whom she met and married in Memphis. I listened to the ones you linked on youtube, and they all sound good, with a Sun Records-like atmosphere. Before I know whats happened shes a-huggin me so tight Johnny Burnette was interred in Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California. Johnny attended Blessed Sacrament School, and after graduating from eighth grade he went to Catholic High School, in Memphis. . After dark on August 14, 1964, Johnnys fishing boat was struck by an unaware cabin cruiser on Clearlake in Northern California. Early press reports, dating back to 1956, claimed that Johnny attended Humes High School with Elvis Presley, which was not true. During the stop-time segments in the verses, Johnny comes across as truly freaked out that this chick follows him everywhere and has no problem taking the initiative (a distinctly unfeminine act at the time): Shes always there beside me, no matter where I stop Johnny Burnette died on August 14, 1964 at the age of 30. Bad idea. Yeah, he fell out of rhythm a couple of times, but Ill take it. Johnny Burnette/Place of birth, Rocky Burnette WebDorsey Burnette's family life took a tragic turn from which he never fully recovered in 1964, when Johnny Burnette died in a drowning accident. Time and again I hear about rockabilly artists from this era whose fame was only fleeting or never happened at all, and I have to conclude that rockabilly went in and out of fashion very quickly. He was the father of 1980s rockabilly singer Rocky Burnette. Johnnys vocal is typically intense and adorned by a few screams, but Burlisons high-speed runs and experimentation are clearly the centerpiece. CONTACT DETAILS Web Site: Johnny Burnette article. Though the Rock n Roll Trio quickly faded into memory in the United States and the let-it-all-out rock of Little Richard, Chuck Berry and pre-army Elvis gave way to saccharine-drenched substitutes, their rough-and-ready brand of rockabilly eventually caught the attention of wannabe rockers in Jolly Olde England. honey, hush and stop that goddamn crying . Johnny toured the nightclub circuit until 1958, when hetired of it and headed for California again, this time to seekout another singer who currently was enjoying a smashingsuccess in the recording field - Ricky Nelson. Please Dont Leave Me (Nashville, July 4, 1956): Our second contribution from Fats Domino appears in the form of one of his lesser songs that didnt make the cut for The Fats Domino Jukebox. If theyd only listened to me . It did not make the charts. Other Links: See below: YOUTUBE VIDEO. Johnny Burnette - Johnny Rocks If, in the days or weeks before his untimely death, someone had asked Johnny Burnette how he would be remembered, he would probably have mentioned his early Sixties hits or the songs he'd written for Ricky Nelson. He had three single releases on this label. 5 in Britain. . His third single, "Dreamin'"/"Cincinnati Fireball" (Liberty F-55285), however, which was released on May 4, 1960, made him famous to millions who had never heard of The Rock and Roll Trio. 35. The impact threw him off the Jerry Lee Lewis. Of course, the study was performed years after the deaths of both guitarists, so neither was in a position to confirm or deny. His career was cut short on August 14, 1964, when he was killed in a boat crash at age 30. His sixth Liberty single, "Ive Got A Lot Of Things To Do"/"Girls" (Liberty F-55345), which was released June 14, 1961, was handled differently from his previous records. and daughter in-law Kathy Burnette. A third session was held on February 14, 1964, which produced four songs, "Aunt Marie", "Two Feet In Front of Me", "If I Were An Artist", and "And Her Name Is Scarlett". Johnny Burnette sang the vocals and played acoustic guitar, Dorsey played bass and Paul Burlison played lead guitar. Everyones invited to the party. WebJohnny Burnette AKA John Burnette Born: 25-Mar - 1934 Birthplace: Memphis, TN Died: 14-Aug - 1964 Location of death: Clear Lake, CA Cause of death: Accident - Drowning Remains: Buried, Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, CA Gender: Male Race or Ethnicity: White Sexual orientation: Straight Occupation: Musician Nationality: United States John Joseph Burnette was born read Down in New Orleans where everythings fine/All those cats/people just drinkin/sockin that wine . Either email addresses are anonymous for this group or you need the view member email addresses permission to view the original message, You do not have permission to delete messages in this group, http://www.rockabilly.nl/artists/images/jburnette.jpg, http://www.eddiecochran.info/images/Eddie_JohnnyBurnette.JPG, http://www.hankstermania.com/TMINET/trio_suits.gif, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOeUc7Ucvao, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be57eXiQF7Q, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLTqPRF4oBM. 17 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. Rick liked what he heard andsubsequently recorded "Waitin' in School" and "BelieveWhat You Say," both of which hit the million sales mark. WebDate Died: 8th August 1964 Location Died: Pocioma, United States of America Cause Of Death: Boating accident. WebIconoclassic is returning Rocky Burnette's 1979 solo debut to print in a new, expanded CD edition. A: We Are Devo! He also used the band on his next album, Get Hot or Go Home! His singles included - 1955 You're Undecided / Go He and a friend, Joe Campbell, hitched down to the West Coast. WebAKA John Burnette. (Graphic: Vinny Nardella/UAA Communications). The Beatles, with John Lennon on vocal, performed "Lonesome Tears in My Eyes" at the BBC on 10 July 1963 for broadcast airing on 23 July 1963. As to the It cant be a Telecaster, so the Train Kept a Rollin solo cant be Burlison theory, I suspect the writer isnt a Telecaster maven. . In 1952, he and his older brother, Dorsey Burnette, and their friend Paul Burlison formed the band that later was known as the Rock and Roll Trio. Johnny Burnette is interred at Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California. Both singles sold well regionally but failed to become national hits. Before he died, he helped pave the way for the rockabilly sound that still seems effortlessly cool today. WebJohnny Burnette was born on 25 March 1934 in Memphis, Tennessee, USA. Young Nelson listened while Johnny sang him severalsongs he had written. The impact threw him off the boat, and he drowned. I have a very strong preference for Nick Gravenites vocal with the blazing horn section and Mike Bloomfields licks on the Electric Flag take, but Johnny does a fair job with the song. When I commented on the original in my review of The Fats Domino Jukebox, I described The Fat Mans performance as energetic and delightful and his vocal as sung with a wink in his eye and a wallet full of dough ready to treat his lady to a good time. In his telling of the story, he instructs the girl to Meet me in the park about half past one/We are going out and having some fun, implying a night on the town or a trip to an amusement park. . Songs like: Lonesome Train, Sweet Love On My Mind, Rock Billy Boogie and Rock Therapy. The hint of a rockabilly future is found in the opening riff, reminiscent of some of Burlisons treble-heavy work on the lower strings. If you developed a fancy for lo-fi music during the 90s, youre going to love this album because its obvious on many of the tracks that the needle had drifted into the red zone and stayed there for a while. Memphis, Tennessee, U.S. Memphis, Tennessee, U.S. Rocky Burnette (born Jonathan Burnette, June 12, 1953) is an American rock and roll singer/musician and the son of rock and roll musician Johnny Burnette. Create a website or blog at WordPress.com, Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window), Johnny Burnette and the Rock n Roll Trio, Lola Versus Powerman And The Moneygoround, Greatest Hits and Gunfight at Carnegie Hall, Too Old to Rock n Roll: Too Young to Die, Joni Mitchell The Hissing of Summer Lawns, PJ Harvey Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea, Sinead OConnor I Do Not Want What I Havent Got. Here he showed an aptitude for sports, being on the school baseball team and playing as linebacker on the schools football team. While at times he seems to be an improvement over Eddie Grady, on this track it sounds like Farris Coursey put about as much effort into his drumming as I put into folding my underwear. Johnny wiki profile will be updated soon as we collect Johnny Burnettes Height, weight, Body Measurements, Eye Color, Hair Color, Shoe & Dress size soon as possible. The Burnette brothers also had a reputation for less structured violence, as Elvis longtime guitarist Scotty Moore recalled. Location of death: Clear Lake, CA. When his Capitol contract ran out, Johnny decided to take charge of his own affairs on his own terms. Despite all of this activity, however, the three singles which were released over this period failed to make the national charts. WebJohnny Burnette - Death Death On August 14, 1964, Burnette's unlit fishing boat was struck by an unaware cabin cruiser on Clear Lake, California. WebJohnny Burnette Overview Tracks Albums Photos Similar Artists Events Biography More Biography Born 25 March 1934 Born In Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee, United Both of the brothers worked separately, but they would take their guitars on board and write songs during their spare time, which consequently led to them becoming folk heroes. Independent music reviewer on altrockchick.com. Tragically, Johnnys life was cut short at the age of 30 on the evening of 14 August 1964, when a cabin cruiser ran into his unlit fishing boat on Clear Lake, A new version of Last.fm is available, to keep everything running smoothly, please reload the site. Comment * document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "acb3123e74d98db7e16ccc903df8494b" );document.getElementById("c08a1a06c7").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. None of these songs, however, were deemed fit for release and remained in-the-can for thirty years. After this failure, they continued to co-operate as songwriters, but they began to follow separate careers as performing artists. With his older brother, Dorsey, now a successful singerand songwriter in his own right - and guitarist PaulBurlison, he headed for New York and landed a spot onthe Original Amateur Hour television show. View Source Suggest Edits Memorial Photos Flowers Memorials Region Come in here woman, stop all that yackety yack Unlike his older Coral recordings, "Dreamin" was overlaid with an orchestral backing. . Sadly, Johnny Burnette died in a boating accident at the too-young age of thirty. Since Liberty had more promotional machinery than Freedom, Johnnys Liberty singles stood a greater chance of succeeding. What a perceptive review of a sadly forgotten group! Even though I no longer think that Paul Burlison played lead on all those classic rockabilly recordings, as the official RocknRoll history will have it, he still without a doubt played on the May 1956 recordings at the Pythian Temple, New York for instance. Johnny worked mainly as a deck hand while Dorsey worked as an oiler. . The first single, "Kiss Me"/"Im Restless" (44001), was released on September 11, 1958. I call her my eager beaver baby, eager beaver baby Without confirmation, I can only endow credit to the musician listed in the credits, and thats Paul Burlison. The Delmores are considered country music pioneers, combining gospel harmonies with folk guitar and blues and leading the way to the sound we know as rockabilly. After an unsuccessful attempt to resurrect the band, the brothers literally planted their asses on the front steps of Ricky Nelsons home and managed to pitch several of their new compositions to the teen idol. Ill look for a larger compilation that contains all of the best songs that you mention here. The trios rendition of this Tiny Bradshaw song is simply one of the greatest rock n roll recordings in history. On August 14, 1964, Johnny Burnette died of non-communicable disease. The young man cherished the instrumentand immediately began teaching himself to play. Tired of Toein the Line/Artists, Your email address will not be published. During the airing Lennon introduced the song, originally recorded by Johnny Burnette and the Rock 'n Roll Trio on 3 July 1956 and released in March 1957, joking, "This is a Dorsey Burnette number, brother of Johnny Burnette, called 'Lonesome Tears in My Eyes', recorded on their very first LP in 1822!" Burlison was one of the best guitarists in the Memphis area in the 1950s and a huge influence on the 1960s rock stars you mentioned. Heart attack Born on March 25, 1934 in United States of America, Johnny Burnette started his career as musician . Sigh. Make it an instrumental! Paul Burlisons reverb-tinged, treble-bright opening riff is frigging beautiful, a mini-celebration of the rockabilly sound. On August 14, 1964, Burnettes unlit fishing boat was struck by an unaware cabin cruiser in Clear Lake, California. In their best work, though, youll find an aggressiveness that cant be attributed to tonal modification or messing with an amplifiers innards. Johnny was a phenomenal celebrity influencer. The Burnette brothers (Johnny and Dorsey) had formed a trio in the early 50s with guitarist Paul Burlison (a Delta blues aficionado who had played with Howlin Wolf on Beale Street) and over the years had developed their brand of country-bluegrass-cottonpatch-blues music (i.e, rockabilly) well enough to earn something of a following in Memphis and other locales in Tennessee. On August 14, 1964, Johnny Burnette died of non-communicable disease. So I anticipate that those men who end up having a career in combat sports naturally have higher testosterone levels to begin with. You make some dismissive comments here about Bill Haley, and I often read similar comments elsewhere, but when I got around to listening to him, I was surprised how good he was. I used to tell people, who asked me rockabilly gear questions, that the only one I ever heard who got a fat and full sound out of an Esquire/Telecaster was Paul Burlison on some of the Quonset Hut recordings. The patriotism of the song clicked predominantly with American record buyers and it reached No. I wasnt even sure it was a guitar duet until several run-throughs, as the high notes are very quiet and sound more like a cheap-ass synthesizer than a guitar. Feel free to contribute! Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. 37.8K subscribers The Life and Tragic Ending of Johnny Burnette Johnny Burnette was born John Joseph Burnette on March 25, 1934, in Memphis, Tennessee, It sure sounds like Johnny envisions an energetic roll in the hay, an interpretation confirmed by his tomcat screams and shouts during Paul Burlisons first treble-at-the-max guitar solo. The vocals are as smooth as silk, with Alton and Rabon displaying their gift for tight vocal harmonies. Putting aside the typo and the drum machine beat, this rock anthem kicks ass in a way that Bill Haley could only dream of. Elvis was the model that every wannabe rocker wanted to emulate, so the trio followed his lead and then some, releasing full blasts of testosterone into their music to create a unique brand of raucous, rockin rockabilly. On August 14, The song "Clown Shoes" was written by a Texan named James Marcus Smith, who was to find fame in Britain as P. J. Proby. Youd think that given all the testosterone gushing from the trio, the engineer would have watched that needle like a hawk, but its also possible that the red zone violations were a deliberate attempt to draw attention to the trios boundless energy. The impact threw him off the boat and he drowned. Creci con sus padres en Dorsey en unas viviendas de proteccin oficial del rea de Lauderdale Courts en Memphis entre 1948 y 1954, lugar en el que tambin vivieron Gladys y Vernon Presley y su hijo, Elvis. It was easy to tell why Howlin Wolf asked him to sit in with Wolfs band at the Cotton Club in West Memphis. [3] It also sold poorly and Enigma dropped Burnette and the Trio rather than release a follow-up. GAINESVILLE, Fla. She is 93 and lives with a caretaker on Treasure Island. LAKE COUNTY Rockabilly star Johnny Burnette drowned in a tragic boating accident on Clear Lake in Clearlake on August 14, 1964. After settling in at the YMCA, they auditioned for Ted Macks Original Amateur Hour and landed a spot because one of the screeners felt it was time for the show to reach out to the lucrative teen market. Things went downhill pretty quickly after that brouhaha, and the combination of sibling rivalry and endless nights on the road led Dorsey to quit the band a few weeks before the shooting of Rock, Rock, Rock. Things finally came to a head at a gig in Niagara Falls in autumn 1956, when, as a result of a fight, Dorsey quit the group a week before they were to appear in Alan Freeds film "Rock, Rock, Rock". Fue enterrado en el Cementerio Parque Memorial Forest Lawn de Glendale, California. Dorsey also died young, at the age of forty-six. John Joseph Burnette Born March 25, 1934 Died August 14, 1964 Country United States IPI . By contrast, I would describe Johnny Burnettes hiccup-loaded vocal as the sound of a guy with a raging hard-on threatening to rip a hole in his blue jeansno mean feat. The highlight is Johnnys vocal, where he not only channels Elvis in the chorus but demonstrates his ability to immerse himself in a rolein this case, a guy who is being stalked by a likely nymphomaniac. Unieron a su experiencia a Henry Jerome como mnager y a Tony Austin (sobrino de Carl Perkins) como batera. At the time of his death, he was 30 years old. WebOn August 14, 1964, Johnny Burnette died from a boating accident on Clear Lake, California. Johnny Burdette finally achieved success in the early 60s, abandoning rockabilly for the soft and insipid rock peddled by competitors like post-army Elvis, Frankie Avalon and Bobby Rydell. Johnny gives it all hes got in a thrilling vocal and both Dorsey and Burlison rock like theres no tomorrow, compensating nicely for the drum machines limitation. Officers said Mr. Burnette, 30 years old, of Pacoima,Calif., was returning to shore in darkness when a boatpowered by an outboard motor struck the small craftthat carried him.---Photo:http://www.eddiecochran.info/images/Eddie_JohnnyBurnette.JPG, The Rock 'N' Roll Triohttp://www.hankstermania.com/TMINET/trio_suits.gif(Paul Burlison, Johnny Burnette, Dorsey Burnette), You're Sixteenhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOeUc7Ucvao, Dreamin'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be57eXiQF7Q, Lonesome Trainhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLTqPRF4oBM, [1] This was the photo that accompanied the Memphis Sun obituary. Well, everybody knows her as a rockabilly queen Blues Stay Away from Me (Nashville, July 2, 1956): The original by the Delmore Brothers is only one of the estimated 1,000 songs they wrote during a career that spanned a quarter-century. WebJohn Joseph "Johnny" Burnette (March 25, 1934 August 14, 1964) was an American singer-songwriter of rockabilly and pop music. They also gained a manager, bandleader Henry Jerome, and a drummer, Tony Austin, a cousin of Carl Perkins. Really bad idea. Esta pgina se edit por ltima vez el 31 ago 2022 a las 03:02. He wasnt singing The Train Kept A-Rollin, it was another song, and I got to doing doom diddle doom daddle doom daddle [Later] I told Owen Bradley about it at the Barn, where we cut the stuff, and he said, let me hear it. Remains: After the groups final collapse, the Burdette brothers patched things up and decided to seek their fortunes in Sunny California. Turners version spent eight weeks at #1 on the R&B charts in 1953 and Ill bet a gazillion dollars that not a single protest was raised by the submissive females of the era. When he was informed that the name Sahara had already been taken, he renamed the label Magic Lamp and a different single "Bigger Man"/"Less Than A Heartbeat" (Magic Lamp 515) was quickly released. This live in-studio recording of 'Lonesome Tears in My Eyes' (including Lennon's spoken intro) was later included on the Beatles' 1994 two-CD set, Live at the BBC. Between May of 1956 and March of 1957, the Rock and Roll Trio recorded a total of 25 tracks, including some of the most raw and energetic rockabilly music ever put to tape. That was a pretty radical and risky move for a guy who had been playing western swing up to that point. Of the twenty-eight tracks in the collection, Im going to focus on thirteen songs that capture the rock n roll essence of the trio, forming a compilation pretty close to the more manageable version of Tear It Up released in 1978 on Solid Smoke Records. The trio won the amateur competition three weeks in a row and within a few weeks had signed a management contract and scored a deal with Coral Records. None of these records were hits and of the six songs, "Sweet Baby Doll" was the only one not penned by Johnny. The popular singer, who hit the top in 1960 when hisrecording of "Dreamin'" sold more than a millioncopies, was born in Memphis, Tenn., in 1934, the sonof poor parents. The playing and sound on those sessions is typical single string blues influenced Tele/Esquire stuff, which I happen to think is great! She gets me in her parlor and switches off the light His fourth Liberty single "Youre Sixteen"/"I Beg Your Pardon" (Liberty F-55285), which was released on October 5, 1960, did even better, reaching No. Tear It Up is the title of multiple compilations; this release contains all the recordings made by the trio in New York and Nashville during the period between May 1956 and March 1957. By the fall of 1957, the Rock and Roll Trio had faded into history. The two men were to keep in touch until Dorseys death of a heart attack in 1979.