Whats our first go to? He was a member of the Bar None Cowboy Church. You feel awed by the ease with which I operate in the world, and you glimpse My Power and My Glory. John and Josh Sander were about 150 feet from shore when suddenly John fell through the ice. [10] The Easter weekend it was released had the lowest box office receipts since 2005, because studios chose to avoid any major release during that period so as not to compete with Disney's release of Avengers: Endgame the following weekend. Twenty emergency personnel continued to perform CPR on John. Our screenwriter, Grant Nieporte, he did a brilliant job on not only writing the script, but he did a lot of research with the family, with the real Tommy Shine. On Sunday, June 23, he and his mother shared their testimony to the congregation at Oak Creek Assembly of God. I had never seen anything like that before and I began sobbing. They asked Chrissy Metz to come in and to play me in the movie. May we only live to bring You Your Glory Lord as this movie Breakthrough, the Book Breakthrough and this podcast does, as it spreads like a fire to ignite the world to Your infinite Love for us! His near-death experience appears to have only increased the potency of his perception. One of the things that we carried through this whole thing with John was the power of life and death is in the tongue, Proverbs 18:2. Call 911. We thought he was the greenroom host because this is just the kind of person this young man is. Were giving him stuff to keep his heart beating. And, well, now I know why. Includes Address (25) Phone (15) Email (7) See Results. Is it God? Thank You Jesus, that You continually intercede for us to reach the full potential of Christ in us, the hope of Glory. Thank you Holy Spirit, that You live in us to be the Healer, Comforter or great I AM for whatever we need in every situation we face in our lives. He was born January 27, 1949, in Demopolis, Alabama to James and Betty (Crenshaw) Smith. ER doctor Kent Sutterer was preparing to tell Joyce that John had died when she walked into the room and began praying loudly to God over her sons body. All rights reserved. Related To Delatha Smith, Mary Smith, Emily Smith, Kimberly Smith, Jack Smith. Dr. Garrett, who had no expectation for John to recover, expressed his total shock and calls this kind of recovery a bona fide miracle. . Hes still there. [God], You say we can come to You with the things going on in our lives, and Youre there to be faithful to us and answer our prayers. Joyce Smith. Regardless, his mother persisted in her belief, and he soon began displaying excellent signs of healing and even left the hospital on his own. "John was totally unresponsive. Born in Savannah, GA, the daughter of the late John Milton Manly and the late Irene Bell Manly, Mrs. Smith retired as office manager with the office of Dr. Floyd Griffin, M.D. Joyce and John Smith join Pastor David Crank to share their true story behind the Hollywood film, Breakthrough and how God can do the impossible in our lives. I am the boy that was underwater for 15 minutes and was without a pulse for over an hour. After spending the night at a friends house, John called his mom to let her know that they would be going to the recreation center near his friends home to practice their jump shots before returning home. [10] The film received mixed reviews from critics, who praised the performances and inspirational messages but called the plot predictable. I also don't know that John Smith will ever be the same as he was before he fell through the ice. It was a miracle on the grandest scale, but God was far from done. I have a pulse. But a carefree day soon grew dire as the ice gave way and boys fell into the lake. . You can get your free Jesus Calling Family Prayer calendar by visiting. Today we hear the miraculous true story of one mothers belief in the power of prayer that not only brought her son back to life, but continues to inspire people around the world in a new inspirational movie called Breakthrough, starring Chrissy Metz from NBCs This Is Us. Its such an honor to be able to share the story with the world. Joyce says John's room was packed with people, with a large young man giving John CPR when she entered. He walked side by side with John out the medical center's doors. Happy Easter, everyone! by that night, the boy was sitting up in his bed, singing songs . He is now 19 years old and since the movie "Breakthrough" was released in April 2019, several things have changed for John. They had their guns. But a carefree day soon grew dire as the ice gave way and boys fell into the lake. My name is Joyce Smith, and I am the mother of the young man who drowned and the Lord so graciously brought back to life when I prayed. While John's friends were able to escape, John remained underwater for fifteen minutes. The boys play together on the Living Word Christian Middle School basketball team in nearby O'Fallon, Missouri. But I know that God can do more than we ever imagined. It just takes everything out of you. I mean, that was my mindset. Were reminded we matter, and I think that we cant put that message in the world enough. So, I was expecting a call from his friends momI didnt know that the kids had gone out (to play) on the ice again (as they did the previous night). Fourteen-year-old John Smith had lost his battle for life. Shortly after I am flown to. Resides in Zelienople, PA. Normal is between 7.35 and 7.45. Im still submerged. He wouldnt just give us half a miracle. The first boy had already self-rescued, so they were working on him and they were trying to get us. "I don't know what we would have done without him." Noble says he continues to feel an intense closeness with the family. 1995-2023 by The General Council of the Assemblies of God Find Joyce Smith's phone number, address, and email on Spokeo, the leading people search directory for contact information and public records. And I think thats exactly what shes saying here. "He is our hope, and He. At any time, He couldve jump started Johns heart. I asked Joyce to come into the room, so she could see her son, Dr. Sutterer said. Her son, John, then 14, had been playing with friends on the frozen Lake Sainte Louise in St. Charles, Mo., and fell through the ice into the water below. We didnt get that far, unfortunately, but we were trying. This is All We Know, 4 Factors That May Increase Chances of Long COVID-19, New Study Shows, COVID-19 Origin: American Scientists, Federal Health Officials Found Out Conflicting Root of the Virus, Surge of Omicron Variant Hampers Economic Recovery in the Country, 2 More $1,400 Stimulus Checks Could Be Released Anytime To Millions of Americans, Children Infected With COVID-19 Has Reached 1 Million, Wayne Brown Jr Died Read Now To Know More, $660 Monthly Stimulus Check Now Open For Application, $15,775 Can Now Be Claimed from IRS Open, $500 Million Child Care Assistance Remains Unclaim, Heres How To Apply. The water at Lake Sainte Louise, a smaller body of water near Lake St. Louis, had frozen the week prior due to the cold weather. The next day, John, who was on a ventilator, began responding to Dr. Garrett's questions, correctly indicating with his hands answers to questions about his two favorite basketball players - Michael Jordan and LeBron James. . I thought to myself, Youre either who you say you are or youre not. The minute I prayed Holy Spirit, please come and give me back my son! his heartbeat started., John was immediately stabilized and airlifted to Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital in St. Louis, where he had multiple organ failure and showed hardly any sign of neurological function. John later gives a half-hearted presentation, saying that everyone already knows he is adopted and he does not know much about his true background. Mrs. Joyce Martin Smith, 87, wife of Fred Phillip Smith, went to be with her Lord and Savior Sunday, September 5, 2021. Joyce B Smith, 85. We adopted John from Guatemala when he was five and a half months old, and we had prayed for him for 17 years. The website's critics consensus reads, "Like its lead character, Breakthrough is fiercely focused on faith but its less subtle elements are balanced by strong performances and an uplifting story. The ambulance transported John to St. Joseph Hospital West in the city of Lake St. Louis, where Dr. Kent Sutterer was the doctor on call. John Smith: Where Is Breakthroughs Subject Now? I told the others in the room what I was seeing, but they couldn't see it. Joyce, now 68, raced to the hospital and by the time she arrived, the medical staff had been trying to revive her son for 43 minutes to no avail. Lived In Battle Creek MI, Winchester VA, Stephens City VA, Marshall MI. All rights reserved. Like most 14-year-old boys, John Smith and his two pals are interested in sports. We get out to Orange County to TBNs studio. Privacy Policy| Dr. Sutterer wrote a note immediately following the experience. They were cold and they were gray. All the resources of this world were being thrust upon this young man with no indication except the cold reality of a young life snuffed out before our very eyes. Benes says that they had visitors attending that chapel, and a parent as well as one of their kitchen workers also raised their hands to accept Christ. Furthermore, he is grateful to those who worked hard to tell his tale on film. Thankfully, his wife and children agreed, and encouraged him to follow Gods leading. As John faced each new challenge from possible infection in his lungs to an unstable blood pressure to restoring his mental faculties Noble led the family and First Assembly in spiritual battle. Now, two years later, Joyce Smith has written their story in The Impossible: The Miraculous Story of a Mothers Faith and Her Childs Resurrection. I could tell when I was talking to her on the telephone that she was upset. One boy was able to self-rescue because he was close to the dock. Narrator: As the cast and crew set to the task of creating the Breakthrough film, they were able to see Gods hand in the processincluding the producer and director of the film, DeVon Franklin and Roxann Dawson. All of these thingshe should not be alive. I love [Sarah Youngs] synopses of the scriptures and how she puts [them] together to speak over your life. Narrator: Welcome to the Jesus Calling Podcast. Its just amazing that God would trust you with such a miracle but also to be able to share it with the world. They gave him a really difficult test. And by the time he was pulled out by first responders, he didnt have a pulse. She had more faith in God than I did. However, doctors didnt believe John would stay alive and if he did, he would be a vegetable. Without skipping a beat in the activities that occupy you, you find strength and Peace through praying My Name. Dr. Kent Sutterer, Johns Emergency Room doctor was preparing to tell his mother that she needed to come say goodbye to her son. DeVon: Absolutely. You know, sometimes I start to question and [say], Maybe this isnt right.. Im like, In ways that I will understand, tell me. I was attached to another project at the time, and miraculously, it fell through and then it completely freed up this. Also known as Joyce Tracy. JOYCE SMITH: He was close to (hypothermia) when the police came in. I dont know what we would have done without him.. Immediately, after more than an hour with no pulse, Johns heartbeat started. I think that everything comes into our lives for reasons that we dont even know necessarily. And its just amazing to sit back and look at that when youre in those circumstances and theyre telling you that, This is not possible, yet Gods saying, Im the final word on this, and it is possible.. he says. Johns skin was gray-tinted, his body and face were bloated almost beyond recognition, and he was in a coma. released Nov. 7. Joyce Smith prayed over her son's body after he had been lifeless for an hourand his heart started beating again. JOYCE SMITH: Yes, but he was up against an ice shelf. (Im off for a week. But my first go-to was God to pray. It really did keep telling us where it needed to be and how it could reach people. A week after that, John went home. John had already gone under. Later, when the happenings have run their course, you can talk with Me more fully. And its really hard to be that one person believing in something that literally is impossible. And so I just said, Holy Spirit, please come and bring me back my son. And Ive been toldI didnt think I was speaking that loudbut I was told that everyone in the emergency room area could hear me pray. The outcome didnt look good. As you persevere along the path I have prepared for you, depending on My strength to sustain you, expect to see miraclesand you will. Chicago Mayor-elect Brandon Johnson in Chicago: We do not support that behavior.. But this is like the Oscars of faith. Immediately, after more than an hour with no pulse, Johns heartbeat started. Be Cursed By 'Llorona' Over Easter Weekend? Joyce: My name is Joyce Smith, and I am the mother of the young man who drowned and the Lord so graciously brought back to life when I prayed. Nikolas Dukic as Reiger, one of John's friends. However, the ice was thin, which contributed to the three younger lads sliding into the lake. Proceedings of the . They had everything. John Smith is on the rise at the time of writing. Joyce recalls the unlikely way her familys story found a path to a major motion picture. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 2023 HarperCollins Christian Publishers. Really, he is brain dead. After performing CPR on John for 27 minutes, and John having been lifeless for about 45 minutes, Sutterer called John's mother into the room, ready to record the time of death. It really did keep telling us where it needed to be and how it could reach people. The team continued warming John and transported him via helicopter to SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital. A firefighter by the name of Tommy Shine was en route to come get me and to come to the scene. . JOYCE SMITH: Oh, yes. Travis Bryant as Jonah, one of Johns friends. And now, after just 16 days (February 4), he walked out of the hospital - totally recovered. Im thrilled to welcome Dr. Smith-Coppes to our institution where he can work closely with our dedicated faculty to impact the lives of our enthusiastic students.. I thought to myself, You dont know what youre talking about because my God has healed my son. They were having to give him medication to keep his heart going. We knew that John being here was a miracle.. Related To Janice Smith. Joyce says she's had numerous contacts from people across the country and around the world telling her how John's story has bolstered or renewed their faith. And thats what I like about her is the things that she speaks, the scriptures, they dont lose their potency. I thought to myself. They were just going after us. Noble says John just as quickly closed his eyes and fell asleep. [citation needed], Breakthrough was released in the United States by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures (through their subsidiary 20th Century Fox) on April 17, 2019; it is also the first film from Fox under the ownership of The Walt Disney Company after its acquisition of 21st Century Fox on March 20, 2019. Includes Address (5) Phone (10) Email (10) See Results. It doesnt take Him by surprise. And I feel like thats what she does in this, is she speaks these things over to your life. And to me, at that point in time, to me the work was done. Related To Ronald Smith, Michelle Smith, John Smith, Larry Smith, Francis Smith. John Sharp to Anne Hains. Were not going to stumble and fall because Hes going to be there with us when pestilence come against us. He was in catastrophic organ failure. Joyce has many family members and associates who include Allisha Good, Erin Smith, John Smith, John Smithand Donald Davison. Read More , Joyce University of Nursing and Health Sciences. John Smith (Ruiz) is a 14-year-old Guatemalan boy raised in Lake St. Louis, Missouri by his adoptive parents, Brian (Lucas) and Joyce Smith (Metz). Heres Everything We Know About Him. The pole's hook snagged John's clothing and Shine pulled John's lifeless body to the surface. "When the doctor called Joyce into the room, she immediately started praying," Noble says. And also Id grown up with this too, that God is a God of miracles. "He told us John only had brain stem activity, his lungs were full of acid and if he does live, he would be a vegetable," Joyce recalls. /en/features/doctors-say-john-smith-is-bona-fide-miracle. I think Id like for this to be my next movie., As the cast and crew set to the task of creating the. They have two adult sons from previous marriages, but were not able have a child together. In that moment, all I can remember [are] the screams. It was flat line on the heart monitor, and in my head, I heard what I had heard all my life: The Holy Spirit, who raised Christ Jesus from the dead.. Finally, the hypothermia took over on John and he went down. I was upset and I was crying, but I knew God was going to take care of it. . I know that God has given me back life for a reason, He performed a miracle for a reason, John said. The phone call Joyce Smith received on Jan. 19, 2015 was every mothers nightmare. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Just before I got on the telephone call, I had read a devotion on my cell phone that a friend of mine had written on Facebook, and it was talking about what we do in times of crisis. Kids were off school in celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.s birthday. He stuck his pipe hole down, and he goes, It might be a tire, might be a boot, but I have to pull something up, if its him or whatever it is. So he pulls it up, and its me. They went in, you know, no suits, no gear. Im thinking, I have no idea how to get ahold of him. Joyce D . They rushed me to a local hospital, St. Joseph West, where I lay lifeless. "Another miracle was this crew had just practiced cold water rescues the week before, so they were well prepared for this.". Finally, one of the boys was able to self rescue, leaving John and his other friend still in the water. They get the second boy out of the water, who was 25 to 50 feet out with me. I asked him if he could move his feet and he did. If you enjoyed this episode about this inspirational story set to film, check out our interview with Tim Tebow talking about his faith-based movie Run the Race. When and how did Janet Abelson die? The water was only about 40 degrees and hypothermia was starting to set in. ""It's the story of our life," said Joyce Smith.The film is based on a book written by Joyce Smith about the incredible story of her son's survival. "He is our hope, and He can do anything. I will have a deep heart connection with Joyce, John, and Brian for the rest of our lives, Noble says. Its been incredible to watch this story play out and see Gods hand at work.. They have also lived in Woodville, MS. Joyce is related to Philander Myra Smith and John Dunn as well as 2 additional people. John: So they get me alive, but I am not, I am not out of the woods. "The mother and son duo provided inspiration and hope in the power of prayer. The 2019 Christian motion picture Breakthrough tells a similar story of a young adult named John Smith who made a remarkable recovery after being immersed in a cold river for about 15 minutes. [18], Metz performed "I'm Standing With You" from the film's soundtrack at the 54th Academy of Country Music Awards alongside Carrie Underwood, Lauren Alaina, Maddie & Tae and Mickey Guyton. From a very young age, John's parents have focused on encouraging John to cultivate a love for the Lord. For these three, their love is basketball. And then John sat up in his bed, eyes wide open, and grabbed my hand!". The acidosis in John's lungs was originally measured at a 6.6 pH level. Cameron Everett Brand Suspect of Bay St. Louis, Mississippi House Party Shooting, Who Is Erin Darke? John answered questions about his favorite basketball players, Michael Jordan and LeBron James, by raising either his right or left hand. DeVon: Im DeVon Franklin, and I produced Breakthrough. Joyce, now 68, raced to the hospital and by the time she arrived, the medical staff had been trying to revive her son for 43 minutes to no avail. Though he grew up in a loving and also non-religious environment throughout his adolescence, he cant help but feel depressed about his situation. No longer was he struggling to maintain his desperate grip on the edge of the ice or flailing his arms in a final and terrifying attempt to stay afloat. Read Also: Who Is Erin Darke? Also known as Joyce Ann Smith Forrester, Joyce A Fulmore, Ann Joyce Smith. Although being rescued, he is in a coma, and his family must rely on their faith to get through the ordeal. 1445 N Boonville Ave Springfield, MO 65802 Emergency crews were called and three departmentsLake St. Louis Police and Fire District, St. Charles County Ambulance District, and Wentzville Fire Districtresponded to the place where the boys fell in the lake. However, they aren't about to let this miracle fade into fable. Narrator: Breakthrough is now in theaters nationwide. At 48 hours after the accident, Dr. Garrett performed a unique and high level neurological function exam tailored just for John. within moments of praying, they got a pulse!". And if well just trust Him, Hes there to take care of everything that we need. John, 14, and two friends had walked out onto frozen Lake Louise, and ice gave way. . On a cold winters day in Missouri, John Smith was a 14-year-old boy playing on a frozen lake with two of his best friends. Dr. Smith-Coppes holds a Doctorate of Higher Education and Organizational Change from Benedictine University; a Master of Business Administration from Bethel University; Bachelor of Accountancy from the University of San Diego; and graduate education from Harvard University. And she said, I dont know. He understood the sacrifice of the commitment. John Smith was transported to the hospital in grave condition. I hear youre talking about my sons story. Ive heard that youre the best. I knew He would take care of my familys needs while Jason was taking care of what God needed him to do.. In addition to the book, the miracle story tentatively will be a 20, Cardinal Glennon Childrens Medical Center. As a result, John grew up in a loving and supportive household that held firmly to their faith. Tommy admits that he did not believe in God until after a series of protracted events since John's accident, and all he did was pull John from the water. We have updated our Privacy Policy to provide you a better online experience. A few days later he is discharged from the hospital, returning home and then back to school. Everyone around me began sobbing. The doctor on staff was Jeremy Garrett - a doctor who happened to be an expert in dealing with water-accident victims. "I could see all the monitors. . Salt Lake City, UT September 23 2022 Joyce University of Nursing and Health Sciences, formerly known as Ameritech College, welcomes Dr. John Smith-Coppes as the universitys new provost. Noble sat and prayed by John's bed from 8 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. for the first week of his recovery. Because hes not going to live through the night. annual session of the French Broad Baptist Association . An amazing story of answered prayer. While Johns friends were able to escape, John remained underwater for fifteen minutes. I wanted to make sure he wasnt not hearing me. What was so amazing about that was that the lake is about fifty feet deep with a muddy bottom but where they were was rock bottom and only about ten or twelve feet deep. There was nothing, so they told me I could say goodbye to him. Holy Spirit, please come and bring me back my son. Joyce Smith. He had gotten under the ice shelf they would have never found him. Absolutely. So, the boys wanted to have a party that night. How far do you want us to go? Narrator: Joyce reflects further on the power of trusting Gods promises and believing that He can and will answer prayer. And I believe in God. I mean, this is what I have been doing for three weeks on a daily basis with my homework. On a cold winters day in Missouri, John Smith was a 14-year-old boy playing on a frozen lake with two of his best friends. I frantic about getting in there. Then they started looking for John (who was submerged)They (eventually) found John and pulled him out. The very moment that I needed God, he was there instantly. You learn to appreciate life and start looking at things that matter., Besides having her son back, Joyce is now most grateful for the love that seems to surround all of this, she adds. Jason Noble (Grace), the family's new liberal pastor with whom Joyce has frequently clashed, visits the hospital and Joyce slowly warms to him. and how the devotion has impacted her life personally. Faith can often bring up a variety of challenging questions, yet it is not unheard of for people to turn to the divine at some of the most difficult times in their lives. I mean, how do you not shout this from the mountaintops, that God gave you your son once, but He also gave him back to you the second time? Johns mother Joyce was summoned to the hospital, and when she saw her sons lifeless body on the hospital bed, she turned to God for a miracle. Have you ever felt like your faith is being tested? John Smith. The second best result is Joyce Jones Smith age 50s in New Orleans, LA in the Read Boulevard West neighborhood. The policemen got there first and, man, were they awesome. When John's heart began beating again, Joyce says there was no mistaking the surprise on everyone's faces and then they jumped into a flurry of action. But for John Smith, what had begun as a fun day off from school with friends, Josh and his sister Jamie Rieger, and Josh Sander, quickly turned tragic. Are you looking for a way to keep track of your daily prayers along with Jesus Calling? JOYCE SMITH: He was close to (hypothermia) when the police came in. . In school, John's class is assigned to give a presentation about their family backgrounds. It was a familiar scene for responder Tommy Shine from Wentzville Fire District: We were just practicing cold water rescue a week ago, he said. Joyce Carolyn Smith, 82. And 40 days from the day he woke up, all the doctors released him, and he was back in school two weeks later.Narrator: Stay tuned to learn how John and Joyces story traveled from a Missouri hospital room to a Hollywood movie studio after a brief message about a free offer from Jesus Calling! Later that day he ate at his favorite restaurant, OCharleys and got to sleep in his own bed. And I believe in God. Joyce Smith. [25], According to the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, 62% of critics have given the film a positive review based on 65 reviews; the average rating is 5.60/10. He did and immediately encountered John. Joyce and John Smith join Pastor David Crank to share their true story behind the Hollywood film, Breakthrough and how God can do the impossible in our lives. We were not good at all. In recognition of the power of the films message, Im reposting an interview I did with Joyce Smith, the mother of the resurrected boy at the center of the story, that was originally published on November 10, 2017 following the publication of her book The Impossible, The Miraculous Story of a Mothers Faith and Her Childs Resurrection. He was moments from being pronounced dead when his mother, Joyce Smith, walked into the emergency room and began calling out to God. John lives in St. Charles Missouri where he currently attends a local Christian High School. But like all young boys, we got bored. Noble says it all has to do with prayer. Breakthrough is a 2019 American Christian drama film directed by Roxann Dawson in her feature film directorial debut. And I said, Of course. What happened in the next fifteen minutes forever changed their lives. I was preparing myself to give a mother the final bad news that her son was gone from this world. Also known as Maria Joyce Smith. Later, we hear how the Smiths story traveled from a Missouri hospital room to a Hollywood studio, and how the cast and crew of Breakthrough were able to see Gods hand throughout the creation of the film. Founded in 1979, Joyce Universitys mission is to prepare students to serve as competent professionals, to advance their careers, and to pursue lifelong learning. He said, John only has rudimentary brain function. They brought him to the US from Guatemala and showered him with love and affection. Best Match Powered by Whitepages Premium AGE 80+ Joyce Arnn Smith Leesburg, GA View Full Report Addresses Lumpkin Rd E, Leesburg, GA Simmons Ave, Columbus, GA Relatives