The Tavern owner, had he been a man would have armed himself after the first time Ken came in his business with a gun much less shot a patron, and the next time he came in Del Clement was totally justified in killing the son of a bitch. I belive that my half brother is the grandson of ken rex McElroy my brother is the son of derome McElroy. I will never forget him and all the heart to heart conversations we had. this link is broken. I truly know this because BELIEVE ME there should be a book about what I went through. That guy wouldve kicked his ass and Ken knew it. During his 20s, McElroy became famous among his coon-hunting buddies for his eye for what he called "young meat"adolescent girls. To say he was a human being is laughably naive and the kind of thing stated by someone who engages in fantasy. Although Henry survived to personally testify against McElroy, the bully was still found not guilty. GRANDDAUGHTER, your grandma was the sweetest person I could ever find. I researched every aspect of the family as thoroughly as I could and tried to be as fair as possible. I wish I could have met her. Damien, you may well be right. McElroy dumped Oleta after a few years and married a 15-year-old girl, Sharon. Its always been one of my favorite scenes in the book, but few others mention it. The bottom line is, without witnesses (which McElroy threatened and intimidated so that they wouldnt testify), any conviction was unlikely. By subscribing to this BDG newsletter, you agree to our. My condolences to her family. In the ensuing confrontation, McElroy shot Bowenkamp in the neck; Bowenkamp survived, and McElroy was arrested and charged with attempted murder. I watched the Sundance Now film No one saw a thing the story of Ken McElroy. Enjoyed your book greatly and so have others I have passed it on to who have no connection to the area which I do. It went down just as Ken had said it would that they would not dig to deep for his murder and that he would go down in history just like jesse james. She begged to talk to him. They tried law enforcement, which at times failed and other times was too intimidated to try. He was still alive in 2007 when you did. She stayed close to her parents, which was always curious. Damien, But the way the parents let things happen, the abused child could evolve into the accomplice of a criminal in adulthood. No investigation, no real police presence. Im heartened to read of Trenas reformation, and saddened that her life was cut so short. She was forced to marry him to ensure that she cant testify against him. Good comment. Ken obviously was mentally ill and never got help. Fear was Ken Rexs weapon and he used it well. Thanks for the comment. It is my pleasure to interact with Jeffery on a daily basis and I truely feel he helps keep me grounded. At a certain point, she has to be held responsible for those actions. Thanks. HOW did some guy who started impoverished get the kind of clout/connections it takes to get a pass from their earliest arrests. The towns people were being bullied and never got the help they needed. Great literary work, sir. She was drunk and angry. One of the more interesting comments so far. Very interesting. But I live in eastern NC & kind of doubt Ill ever get out to Colorado. It would be interesting. In between his many felonies and intimidation tactics, McElroy fathered ten children with different women and married four times. anyhing good about him. Roadhouse looks like this in its basic plot and conclusion. My condolences to her family. How many times had I heard that look described by the residents of Skidmore? But I dont understand her denial and defensiveness until her death. I have just recently heard of this story. That fellow had blonde hair and was buffed out. The vast majority of people familiar with this case are quite happy with the outcome. Someone involved in that might act in a toxic manner. If it wasnt for the people of Skidmore being forced to take the law into their own handsTrena would have never had the happy life she did. In 1980, one of McElroy's children got into an argument with a clerk, Evelyn Sumy, in a local grocery store owned by 70-year-old Ernest "Bo" Bowenkamp and his wife Lois, allegedly because the young McElroy child tried to steal some candy. Ken is my second cousin I think my parents were both adopted and Im just learning about my family. The ones on the Sundance series were from Alice Woods. In researching the book, I learned of only three kids. I had a fascinating interview with her, though. Jeff had had a hernia. Weighing in at approximately 270 pounds with bushy black sideburns, McElroy held the entire . If she was suing to provide for his children, did she give the other Mothers some of the money? Damien would not know anything about his grandpa except hear say as he was not even a live than. It makes me realize that no matter who your biological parents are, you choose to be the person you want to be. My grandparents farmhouse mysteriously burnt down while they were away in the early 80s. She did what she had to do to survive.the law sure didnt help her . He did not pick his father and thank god his father did not raise him. A thousand sleezy lawyers cant do the harm to society what a few ( especially in tiny communities were there may only be a couple) inept/corrupt/cowardly judges or prosecutors will. i feel sorry for all the women he terrorized for all the years. Sorry Harryjust to clarify, when I asked what was his/her name, I was referring to the fourth child of Sally, not mentioned in your book. God bless her families, that they my know Him and their lives will be full of blessings. Sally gave birth to a fourth child in 1965. From the impression I got, the law enforcement officers, with exception of Corporal Stratton of the State Patrol, seemed to back down to Ken out of fear the same as the townspeople did for a while. Stealing livestock, ambushing people. A history of abuse does not excuse Trenas actions, it only makes sense of them. Your email address will not be published. Trena did what she had to do to survive! But perhaps I should have looked a little deeper into the place. the odd thing is sence june of 96 i have lived in lebanon mo. I can almost bet they both have got there asses kicked by the female gender a time or two..wish I could have seen when karma dry humped them with a cactus in the [emailprotected]&.. (right girls) lol. The only way to take down a bully is to confront him and meet force with force including deadly force if need be. , I met Jeff in the fall of 1984. It was amazing the town folk found the restraint not to grant her Kens fate. Ken McElroy was in a paradoxical sense victimized by his lack of education, poverty stricken upbringing, a father who refused to punish him for his bad behaviour and his own seeming inability to improve his lot in life. Say what you will, but not only was Ken Rex an obvious monster, but so was his brainless wife, Trena McElroy. My dad sat on the jury in one of Kens many hearings. You stand up to a bully you strip him of his power. I can happily say that she seems to be living a fulfilling and normal life and is a very responsible, contributing member of society. I currently work with him in a Behavioral/Learning Disorders School in Kansas City. More insight into Trenas life with Ken. Its just fascinating. Shocked that trena passed on, her updated pic shows ahappy woman, you mentioned some of the kids are in Pa? Where is that lot? I really enjoyed this book so much so, that I just read it a 2nd time! The Sheriff said the case was actually not mysterious at all and simply a murder among drug acquaintances. She made that choice of her own. Some I doubt she could help because she had him following her and ordering her around. The movie was never released on DVD. Nobody twisted her arms to stay with the man. Trena was my grandmother, she died on January 24th, her 55th birthday, not the 28th. No one lives where his house used to be, but his brother Tim lives in house not far away. I think its interesting that Ken McElroy exibited all the symptoms of a sociopath. Then later the lawsuit , she shouldve been grateful after all her & ken did that they just put a bullet into the back of his head on July 10th,1981 & let her ass walk away from the scene . Ive read al about Ken, always armed with a gun, burning hones! [2][3] In 1981, McElroy was convicted of attempted murder in the shooting of the town's 70-year-old grocer Ernest "Bo" Bowenkamp. i lived in mound city from 1978 to 1996. i heard about the story when i was old enough to understand. Wal-Mart killed the town. Usually, it takes a dangerous gang and a community of people too scared to talk to get away with such behavior. He said that in Bos younger years he was known as the fastest gun in Northwest Missouri. Hmmm. I have known Mr. Dalsing since 1999. Youre saying a 12 year old was at fault for being raped and forced into marriage by a grown man? [6], Based on Trena's story, McElroy was indicted in June 1973 for arson, assault, and statutory rape. Then throw in the other factors that are affecting all small towns and farms in America and you have the answer. He is exceptional and a real person and special friend. Im sure the only regret those 45+ people have is that they didnt do it sooner. I havent seen you since you was 2 . A common refrain among the people MacLean interviewed? I intend to write something on it soon. The best part of this book is when the old acquaintance of Ken looked him up and decided to tell him about salvation through Jesus Christ. Were all better without them. However, I can also be sure that yet another movie was released back in the 1980s about these same events that took place in Skimore, Missouri. Why do you think they are referred to as legal thieves? Its dealing with the loss of all the work and experience it takes to raise livestock. btw will be reading the book soon. Appalling. McElroy was never a popular man. A six-member coroner's jury Tuesday ruled that McElroy was killed by 'person or persons unknown.' The decision was reached despite the testimony of Trina McElroy, his 24-year-old wife, who said. Yes, we all go through changes in this journey called life. I was 20 years of age in 1981 and living south of The River in Warrensburg when I learned of all of this. Well, we all cannot forget that McElroy had a real shyster of a lawyer to keep him dancing one step ahead of the law. He is all the things his father was not, god bless him! In late 1964, with Sharon again pregnant and both young women with newborns, McElroy took up with Alice, a 15-year-old from St. Joseph, Mo., 50 miles south of Skidmore. As for Trena, she was victimized from an early age by the man and her parents did not protect her. Congratulations should have been in order after they delivered her from his wicked grasp. There wasn't much parental supervision, but McElroy had a knack for taking care of himself. AP Writer Typlifed Irresponsible Writing About Ken McElroys Murder, http://www.holmanhowe.com/sitemaker/sites/Holman1/obit.cgi?user=559576WilliamsLebanon#.TyhZNgTT0J0.facebook, https://vintageaerial.com/photos/missouri/nodaway/1980/ONO/29/17, In Broad Daylight Classic Print Edition. You cannot show any fear. I reckon the evidence is in that it wouldnt stop an 8mm Mauser round. As McElroy got into his pickup truck with his wife Trena McCloud, shots suddenly rang out. Obit with photo of Trena Louise McNeeley McElroy Williams, 1957-2012. Ive heard stories from the locals that on a moonless night the ghosts of Ken and Trena will come driving through Skidmore in the same Silverado he was killed in. I understand that was probably the case. I've still got mixed feelings about the shooting. Likeliest to get caught up in the moment. Youd protect your family same as they had to protect theirs. He got what he had coming why keep talking about it its over done, I believe that anyone that wants a vigilante tried for murdering the scum of the earth, is the reason the world is in the sad state of affairs that its in today. I would love to hear from you . Previous Chapter 1 2 3 . i knew some of his family and the people in the book. Red died several years ago, and Steve Peters and his wife divorced and Steve moved to St. Joe, where he is working for an engineering company. Ive never come across Charlie again. She is hardly mentionedwhat happened to her after Ken died? People are fully entitled to talk about a thug whether he is DEAD or NOT. Where was the law when KR was intimidating everyone including the law and their family and most importantly, where was the law for Trena? Cell phones taking photographs, calling police would have made a big difference back then. Have no sympathy for McElroys wife Trena and his previous wife, they really enjoyed the bullying and intimidating people as much as McElroy. Been there, done that and survived that! McElroy must have paid him dearly. I was having sex at 11 with grown men, so I can relate to what Im sure she must have went through. Whether this is the case or not, Ken McElroy terrorized the town he lived in, however one day retribution would end his reign. But as years went on, Trena chose to harass the people of Skidmore along with her husband. He had no use for the successful or the educated. It happens. I noticed that in your book, In Broad Daylight, you mentioned that Sally had borne Ken three children Ken Jr, Lisa, and Jeffrey. Did he run around there? Its not the townspeople who owed her anything. i know that the town never had any intent in shooting trena. It's no secret that our culture is obsessed with true crime stories, thanks to the likes of Serial and Making A Murderer and there are few crime stories more intriguing than an unsolved murder. Glad I could add a bit more info. 6. McElroy showed up at the local bar, the D&G Tavern, carrying a rifle and bayonet, making "graphic threats" about finishing off Bowenkamp, according to Unsolved. He also said that the prosecuting attorney in the case was inexperienced and simply lost the case to McFaden and his slick talk. You got a beef with a man you settle it with that man. I, of course, never met McElroy, but Ive heard the descriptions and Ive seen the pictures. Sharon (1st wife) children; son, daughter (Tina), daughter (Teresa), daughter (Tammy), daughter (???). I have spoken to him in the past about this situation and he allowed me to borrow the book In Broad Daylight It was an amazing book, and more interesting because I know Jeff. I think its similar to being in a cult. I noted that one of the boys had had a hernia. When I met him 22 years ago, we toured the Skidmore area, and I showed him his fathers house and where he had been sitting when he was shot. Interesting. i am happy that she did get to move on and live a happy life. Its hard to feel sympathy for her when his bullying made her feel strong and secure. Ken was a psychotic menace and his ending was merciful. I read a few blogs last night , it looks like alot of people just quote your book, does anyone live on his property now? You made a non-point just then. No one knows how afraid you are to not do everything you can to keep an abusive husband happy. Outside of the D&G Tavern, the engine of a truck could be heard roaring to life, until it gave out, and eventually the engine blew. Do any of the haters actually know how someone, especially a young person, can be influenced and manipulated into doing things that is wrong? Hi Harry, I read your book In Broad Daylight 4 years ago.I want to say it was an excellent book, Thanks for all your hard work!! When I visited often in the late 50s, 60s & early 70s, it was a prettier & quiet little town. why you attracted such a horrible person into your life. Ken was a good guy and a good friend with those he was comfortable with. He dropped out of school at age 15 in the eighth grade and quickly established a local reputation as a cattle rustler, small-time thief, and womanizer. I never felt I got the whole story on McElroy, but at some point I had to stop researching and begin writing. I just finished reading your book, an excellent piece of work. He used his size and weapons to intimidate people. Its amazing that she was able to recover and lead full life. It was based on In Broad Daylight. They should have gathered in force and worked together to do something about him and assist the people complaining before the situation got this far. was it revenger against his father? Followed the link to Trenas obit so pleased to see the post @ her Christian Faith God forgives everyone who repents, and love(d) Trena as much as Mother Teresa and everyone in between Perfection is not a pre-requisite. at the young of an age. I just finished the book of Ken McElroys life and death. The late David Graf played the part of Ken Rex McElroy. Dec. 15, 2010. Did he terrify judges? Its just another dying small rural town. Jerry: Chelsey, regardless of anything else, an ADULT who impregnates a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD CHILD is a monster. The townspeople were the ones who suffered punishment. Why he did it, well never know. Why did she not publish some more introspective personal responsibility later. Even the United States has a legal system, even back then. Hate to say it but of course his family members will defend him and claim he was the best grandpa/whatever but even if he wasnt convicted of anything, his activities are well known and well documented. They terrorized an entire down. Bless the people who had to put up with these two monsters. Perhaps she was plain and nave but she was always aware of what Ken was doing; every day of it. I truly believe she learned from these mistakes, so forgiveness is in order, especially since she became a totally different person after he was out of her life. This is truly shocking its like something out of the middle ages. Born in Overland Park, Kansas, on June 1, 1934, McElroy was the fifteenth of Tony and Mabel McElroy's sixteen children. Honestly the person I have the biggest problem with is the defense attorney for McElroy. Thank you! You cant tell me the judge didnt know Ken would react the way he did. The sleezoid attorney is always a given with guys like this thug. They operate a gourmet traveling food stand. We are still very good friends and I still try to get whatever stories I can from them. Harry, my name is Summer Gross. Im glad you set the record straight, on the facts. I feel he abused the legal system to the point, he should have been disbarred. If they dont need to or dont KNOW they can beat everyone, they act right. Killing her wouldnt have made anyone safer, but wouldve made the townspeople murderers in their own eyes. He was a great state trooper and sheriff and still a well known man today. Im not being crude or rude I really mean that. Ken may have done wrong is quite an understatement. MacLean sums up the townspeople's thought process on Criminal: "'Where was the law? [10] Nobody called for an ambulance. That isnt one side of the story it is a fact. Just a fascinating story. They acted out of desperation as they were given absolutely no alternative. The word snitch is a word mostly used by the criminal elements of our world. Lori met her and they have corresponded off and on over the years. My point is that now I am a very happily married wife and mother of two and nothing at all like the girl I was. im sorry that some people dont have sympathy for trena. It was probably held as evidence and then junked, The insurance company took it back, after a body shop in Maryville fixed it up. Ken was 18 and Oleta was 16. . Shame on anyone who holds the things that Ken did to others, against Trena. Now, there is a saying, that explains it but it doesnt excuse it. On the morning of July 10th, 1981, shots rang out in the small town of Skidmore, Missouri. The thug known as Ken has a few defenders just as all criminals have a few defenders. He lived in the small town of Skidmore, Missouri, a . You could write a great survival book about her to help victims of domestic violence. Do the world a favor, end the line. I agree with you in many respects. If, some time after her confrontation with the consequences of Kens way of life, Trena sincerely came to know that her old way of living in the world was wrong, and she began to live in the world in a way that positively affects others, thats all I believe necessary to forgive her. But to actually drive it.knowing someone died in the seat. A town having inadequate policing. Jeffrey Working with children who need the gift of a great teacher. The law is the law and no one should exploit loop holes in order to ensure someone does not pay for their crimes. McElroy divorced Alice and married Trena in order to escape charges of statutory rape, to which she was the only witness. Thanks for writing such a terrific book. Harry, Any new on them? I was raised by a law abiding yet could me an extremely violent man who feared no one big or small. The only explanation I can think of that would have justified her filing that lawsuit was because of his kids. Ive never allowed anyone to threaten me face to face and I have never once worried about a man that tells you what hes going to do to you because hes all talk. I share your sympathy toward the children. I would be scared to death of him (although, I dont think I would give in to him if it were my daughter, he probably would have killed me, but I would have died trying to save her from him). I am not sure how I even ran across it, but it caught my interest and I started researching it. Come back and talk to us when you are 70+ years old and a thug shoots you, leaves you to dies and gets away with it. I moved to Kansas City in the 90s and on the first job I started here, the first friend that I meet was a McElroy. Ken Rex McElroy (June 1, 1934 July 10, 1981) was an American criminal and convicted attempted murderer who resided in Skidmore, Missouri, United States. Whatever happened to Kens truck that they shot him in? He has not the slightest feel of violence about him. I would have shot that punkass on my own if he ever started with me..he got what he deserved for sure..I have a real problem with bullies to this day.. Everyone is a victim. 1940 living with parents in Green, Nodaway, Missouri [2] Tony Mcelroy Head Male 50 Missouri The story of Ken Rex McElroy was a movie without a resolution, and it still stirred up a lot of people and emotions around here, some predictable, some not. do not judge until you have walked in her shoes. Sharon had children in 1961, '63, '64 and '65, and Sally in '61, '63 and '64. It sounds to me like some powerful people didnt want Ken to go to prison and so let him run rampant with impunity. Its up to Jeffrey if he wants to share it. Many elements in common with McElroy/Skidmore: small town local bully, law enforcement and legal system unable to manage the issue and ultimately townspeople took matters into their own hands. And so it goes. In 1981, vigilantes in Skidmore, Mo., took justice into their own hands and killed town bully Ken Rex McElroy but no one was charged with the crime. Trena too young to know a better way and being unable to make her own judgements, plus being gaslighted by Ken to the point that she couldnt think for herself and her parents not protecting her. You cant make that case at all. Im probably going to buy your book as this case looks pretty interesting. Millions upon millions of people endure the exact same problems in early life and dont go through life as a fearsome criminal that the thug was. They got rid of their bully, but things never got any better for them. She should have sued McFadin for failing her over and over again by protecting Ken instead of protecting her she was a child for petesake. In the truck was the body of Ken Rex McElroy, who was known in Skidmore as the "town bully.". this is not new to us here, it hppeans all the time but a town bully? On occasion, such people will be prosecuted and even imprisoned or disbarred. Robert Dick McElroy 1928-1999 Helen Lorene McElroyCurley 1929-1999 Children Debbie Ann McElroy 1965-2020 Advertisement See more McElroymemorials in: Saint Joseph Memorial Park Saint Joseph Buchanan County Missouri USA Find a Grave Flower DeliverySponsor and Remove Ads Explore more The ones still living can be found listed in obituaries of some of the siblings. She was a wonderful, amazing, caring woman. Its an old saying, but one can argue that his children are also victims in this case. I remember talking to your Dad. I previously wrote you on your website about the professional relationship I have the privilege of having with Jeffery. I havent seen you since you was about 2. Did he buy prosecutors? Mr MacLean, you are a lawyer, right? The show was a cheap hatchet job. Missouri-based journalist Steve Booher described the attitude of some townspeople as "he needed killing. I just wish she had been left in the truck as well. I know this is a bit old to respond, but that was a loving tribute to your Grandma! In 1990 he read my recently released book In Broad Daylight, about the killing of Ken Rex McElroy, and certain things began to click in place. Juarez was a menace. They only wanted to control through violence. ..so you might try to argue but there was one person who had no excuse, that was clearly at fault. In a place where he doesnt know EVERYTHING about EVERYONE, they take it down a notch. He has been alive and living. It would be very informative to hear what you have to say about your Grandpa, and I will certainly post whatever you write. The ones who shot him are also cowards even though he got what he deserved. McElroy knew this quite well and knew the only way he could duel with Bo was to shoot him while Bo was unarmed. She remarried and had children with her new husband. I am glad she was not harmed in the shooting of Ken. Obviously neither of them ever heard of the Golden Rule. They cant fight a man so they beat a woman. He was quite content to labor behind the meat counter while his wife oversaw the daily needs of the store. According to a Mental Floss article on McElroy, the 70-year-old Bowenkamp barely survived the violent encounter; but although McElroy was convicted of second-degree assault and sentenced to two years in prison, he immediately appealed the conviction and was released on bond. The law even puts away innocent people, and executes innocent people. People reading the book In Broad Daylight need to understand how different the laws,courts, legal system, forensic evidence & DNA analysis have changed everything so much today from the way the laws & legal system was in 1981. Why not just say that in your comment. Mouse was a good looking teenager but he had a violent streak. Del saved a lot of people, especially young girls/women, from the terror of this man. Not surprising at all. One of them, Jeffy, had a hernia problem. You know what would be really interesting would be both you and him meeting in July like we talked about. they knew what she had to deal with and she only did those things becouse she had to. After reading and researching the book, I learned that Wilma, Ken s sister has passed away 2 years ago at age 89. Who are the rest of Ken s siblings and are any still alive? The family appeared not to be given any help at all. Now 47, he is the same age McELroy was when he was shot to death on the main street of Skidmore Missouri. I read on the web that the monster had a steel plate in his head from a prior head injury. I knew your grandma as a classmate, but most of all best friend a person could ever have. Trena was beaten and sexually abused terribly by McElroy. I dont think people realize how many things go by the wayside in these rural areas. She may have come out the other side, but its been tough to locate any kind of record showing her apologize to all those people she terrorized and women and children she shamed when they tried to come forward with their true, horrifying accounts of this mans abuse. This is a compelling story whether you knew or had any connection to the McElroys or not. Im so glad to hear that she was able to find happiness after the trauma inflicted on her by her 1st husband and by the town of Skidmore. McElroy began stalking the Bowenkamp family, and eventually threatened Bo Bowenkamp in the back of his store with a shotgun in hand. He had to have been only about 15 or 16 at the time. Ive still got mixed feelings about the shooting. Over the course of his life, McElroy was accused of dozens of felonies, including assault, child molestation, statutory rape, arson, animal cruelty, hog and cattle rustling, and burglary. If the filmmaker was from the US and over 40, he would know that. It is titled The Town Bully and it was released in 1988. I am sure their memories are nothing like the book and I hope they hold onto the happy memories they have. Immediately after being released at a post-trial hearing, McElroy went to the D&G Tavern, a local bar, with an M1 Garand rifle with a bayonet attached, and made graphic threats about what he would do to Bo Bowenkamp.