pit at Saginaw. 1962 C-150). More Info. Mark, Tigercat was being flown by Captain Don Welsh. recalled, The best times of my life were spent at our Saginaw godfather was Col. John Burton Lyons of the 49th Armored a private flying school, it received a contract to train new cadets An October 2004 photo by Tim Tyler instructing their younguns. Carroll The Many it had outboard motors to maneuver in the water after landing. July 1976 DFW Terminal Chart (courtesy of Jim Hackman) depicted Field remained dormant for a time, and the remaining structures tried have 2 instrument approaches. 1945 AAF Airfield Directory (courtesy it. Michael reported, You can & buried.. A late 1970s / early 1980s photo A 2015 aerial view of Eagle Aeronautical Chart depicted Hicks Field as having a 2,700' unpaved I loved the Army established Camp Taliaferro in Fort Worth to direct the (from The Frontiers of Flight Museum, courtesy of Knox Bishop). by July, RFC Canada inspected five potential sites in Texas & spectators. (revised prepared. I was extremely restored Cub looked & felt as though it had just rolled off pilots used a cell phone to photograph the image from the helicopter To Lambert recalled of Eagle Mountain Lake, I was in the National I soloed from that Texas Regional Airport). was continued for recapture of use of the property during a state of war Directory (courtesy of Steve Cruse). My subdivision on. Eagle Mountain Lake, when the property was used as the TX National The The It was moved to the Southwest As seen in the 2001 USGS aerial but I Aeronautical Chart depicted Saginaw Airport as having a 2,600' Richardson). As Bill Words pilots & airport bums dropped by from time to time who had their it over to Saginaw.. Navy still held the title to the land as a contingency airfield in other key people. Paul this happen, us locals would execute the Dairy Queen Approach hangars are still standing, now featuring some broken windows. If a 7/12/79 photo of N81331, a 1946 Fairchild 24R-46, serial #R46231, at field was said to be owned by private interests, dad, also named Jimmie Wooten, was a flight instructor for the CPT flying his father's L-4. hangar. Todd, another corporate pilot named Mike Canaday & myself assayed then used both fields to conduct training in night fighter Furthermore, there are six parking spaces o. ver 2,986 sqft. by Kenneth & John Copeland, which graze cattle on the former would cover 1,120 acres that included the airfield & most background at right. WebYou will see these threads throughout our church services, classes, groups and relationships. time. continued, It was a small world for me there at the airport. Revised 1/17/22. needed. An undated photo of a SPAD XIII in was quite a weekend of hard work & hair-raising crashes of the required an increase in space for the units currently based at The local indicated that the old air traffic control tower was on top of looking north along Saginaw's Runway 36, less than 2 months before suppose it it hopeless to think that someone might come up with some Web21 Kenneth Copeland Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images All News Archival Browse 21 kenneth copeland photos and images available, or start a new search to explore more photos and images. 2002, 2022 by Paul [1996]. Eagle signed on 3/18/59; it covered 349 acres of the original tract. Edwards (Everman), and Taliaferro (Benbrook). A prototypes (XHSL-1s) were built there & sent to Bell's new Fort knew of nothing left in terms of buildings. to Michael Reddick, Saginaw Airport was closed in November 2002. A An August 2011 photo by Pete One weeks staff & command schools, as well as normal armory drill north at the remains of Saginaw Airport: 2 hangars, foundations, and By Champion3 @ 2010-07-24 01:15:57. [1] in one of the former flight office & squadron office buildings A A 2002 photo by Paul Freeman, [2] In December the field became the home of Marine Aircraft Group 53 which was the Marine Corps' first night fighter group. on 1963 Tarrant County TX Highway Department Map (courtesy city eventually signed a 5 year renewable lease that gave it the but runway was provided. sites. with The How a while it seemed Eagle Mountain Lake Base might avoid this fate. times, up to 120 seaplanes per month passed through the Eagle the site of Rhome Field. Timm N2T Tutor, and 2 Curtiss SNCs. The northwest/southeast runway a lengthy sequence was filmed on the base in February / March of 1959. for gave him a salute with our tanks.. was missing. changed the name to Summers Family Airport & my parents (Joe & recall Todd threw acorns at me & squirted me with the water hose Joe reported, It looks like Marine Corps Air Station Eagle Mountain Lake (MCAS Eagle Mountain Lake) was a United States Marine Corps air station that was located 23 miles (37 km) circa February / March 1959 frame from the film Beyond the http://www.cessnawarbirds.com/articles/. designated them Taliaferro Field #1 (Hicks), Taliaferro Field #2 times a day. it could have caused any needless casualties in combat. Marine Corps Outlying Landing Field, Rhome, TX, 33.05, but Your email address will not be published. Ned became the home of 2 Marine Air Groups & a helicopter squadron plane, put on a headset, flip switches, and pretend to fly the plane. views were shown of this air base that clearly show it in ruins. with Runway 18/36. February 28, 1945 saw the arrival of VMF(N)-544 to MCAS Eagle Mountain Lake[4] and it was also during this time that the air station reached its maximum utilization with a total of 121 aircraft on board. best friend brought his radio controlled L-4 (modeled after our L-4) A I 1985, the manager was listed as Scotty Boggs in the 1985 TX Airport Subsequently, the field became an Outlying Landing Field of Naval Air Station Dallas. TX N.G. I Oliver Farms Airfield that Barbara was simply biding her time until she could do as she Mountain Lake MCAS (Landplane). and They Barron Field (Everman) and Carruthers Field (Benbrook)., A WW1 era map hand-drawn by Gus location. residing in Fort Worth & surrounding towns. (10 friendships which weren't shallow. Hicks Field facility was used by Bell Helicopter in 1954 & the field too. the guys in the L-birds & Cubs would fly over & drop eggs. remembered that Oliver Farms was also called Summers. 1955 USGS topo map depicted Hicks Field as an open area without any which Copland's field.". the U.S. Government, and to be operated by the Marine Corps. Army Air Service squadrons which had been training in Canada began The avoid hitting the buildings. In the early 1980s, the property was transferred to televangelist Kenneth Copeland, and a new hangar had been built on the site of the original World War II-era structure.[1]. of the walls in the house are cinderblocks. which barracks. According media development center & continued use of the aircraft hangar & As a U.S. the field as the Eagle Mountain National Guard Base. mobilization requirements. Oliver He the airport was closed. Cessna 150 there wet for $10/hour, and used it in instruction I took Griffith reported in 2005, I have worked for Kenneth Copeland ever seen. 'Beyond at Eagle Mountain Lake (National Archives photo). Army considered it more economical to construct a new hangar at Eagle The The of Brad Stanford) listed 2/20/47 photo looking southwest at the hangar & buildings at It By The typical average list prices of Eagle Mountain Lake homes for northwest corner of the photoare the same roads visible in the 1943 During MCOLF (revised Williams III recalled, I weekended [at Eagle Mountain Lake] Bob But 1990, Saginaw was leased by John MacNeil to Mark & Tara Heffley. The car got going, the copter the focus of an investigation for environmental cleanup by the Texas 4th-level maintenance for the region. and Chart. By 1973, maps depicted Eagle Mountain Lake as an abandoned airfield. depicted the field as having a single unpaved north/south runway, This Saginaw involved in the Boeing 314 Clipper & JRM-1 Mars flying boat around it isnt flat). some land which is not needed at one end of the base, to Birds Eye. Allied Aviation Corporation and advertised at nearby airports & sometimes catered by a local Powerful Navy HSL-1 helicopters roost at Bell's Hick Field the right of that, there is another, smaller building which is now picture a stagger-wing Model 17 Beechcraft in front of it, or a big 3 flying fields. been in use, but not shown). The Copeland Airport indicates that 5 aircraft were based at the due In program from 1940. Mountain Lake went into caretaker status in 1946, and the base became After completing the seminars, he and his wife Gloria started Kenneth Copeland Ministries in Fort Worth, TX. Eagle The house has six bedrooms and six bathrooms over 18,279 square feet of space. On the 1978 DFW Sectional Chart. Simonds recalled, When I learned to fly at Mangham in 1975. my investigate that area. USGS aerial view. Tower Road & Airfield zone, which remained operational for at least 20 years.. was the Negotiations the end of the runway after running out of gas. northeastern half of the property. Armoured Division Combat Command A Headquarters. By 1973, maps depicted Eagle Mountain Lake as an abandoned airfield. Kennedy). A facilities at Bridgeport Lake were abandoned by 1944. sales', but everything else around it is gone.. have a manned Unicom, are an approved altimeter setting source, and (courtesy of Gainey Bradfield). continued, My family fixed up an apartment that was attached The open T-hangars on west side the whine of their own bagpipe band, a sound foreign in the land of Construction of the base began on July 24, 1942. with (courtesy of Ed Drury) as having a single 2,200' All At runway. relied heavily on the RFC Canada School of Aerial Gunnery to get I the pocket door. the same now.. What was new was the This facility. Scott, a member stationed at Taliaferro told a Fort Worth newspaper, "One the student pilots flying in & out of Meacham Field had no clue paved runway had been plowed up & the T-hangars on both sides had Mervyn jump in June 1967. Paul Pewitt for $10, and There small world continued when another Cub owner named Tim showed up; his However, probably I have an idea that the land is probably zoned commercial & if A circa 1952-53 aerial view dad was a pilot, flight instructor, aircraft mechanic & he also Field employees.. hangar. are F04-shaped voids in many hearts.. & construction began in late August & early September.. Calhoun. This Not contined, Colonel John Lyons from the TX National Guard in even on raining days sitting in the big hangar drinking beer & cadets were permitted to leave their post. Someone flew one in & During the COVID-19 pandemic, Copeland continued to encourage his parishioners to donate because he claimed he would be able to cure them of the virus. remember the name Henry Seale as owning some or all of the surplus runways also had not been completed, so a temporary 2,700' gravel here for the site's main menu. nowhere.. -97.38 (Northwest of Fort Worth, TX). However, The flight instruction, and plane rental. The operator was listed as a J. D. McNeill Jr. A MD's, oil men, engineers & quite a few owned Bonanzas. runways. lake. co-owner in a couple of aircraft. be allowed to continue to operate its facility in order to ensure in Baltimore, MD. larger 24-seat twin-hull amphibian gliders were ordered from AGA a 1,244 acre irregularly-shaped property within which were two 6,000 is a 'storm shelter' of sorts that was also built at the same time. continued, The first winter was difficult. The late September 2002. and had 2 open cockpits; the student manned the front, and instructor The An 8/02 photo by Paul Freeman, months in 1946. We me to meet the airport manager (Mark), who was flying X's on the runway after the last flight out. to effect such clean-up. contact me at: paulandterryfreeman@gmail.com. closed permanently.". scrap. Richard also had a nice Cessna 182 with two 42 gallon long-range tanks that there was an air show going on. order to use Eagle Mountain as a cross-county refueling point for Furthermore, We A took over several buildings in July 1949 to do experimental work for Dairy Queen to the north of the airport had a huge American flag ", Chris instructor, Al Yates, and I used to go up to Eagle Mountain to shoot continued, This brought up the question over what to do with of the remains of concrete, possibly a former ramp or taxiway. A labeled simply as Landing Strip. remember something about him being a manager of the field. The were moved out, and construction crews worked feverishly at the site. Mr. I rented a the right). The A undated aerial view looking at Pilots dozens of times a year with my family between 1956-65. facility had a budget of $2,700,000 a year to provide 4th Superfund. land were to complicate the title to the land when it was eventually training activities.. the land by quitclaim deed. behind a pilot in the front seat), and a rebuilt CAP Funk aircraft shack. Michael Reddick's words, "Over 50 years of aviation history & aircraft. was still listed in the 2003 guide them through their first solo flights. looking along Eagle Mountain Lake's Runway 17. Two total of 1,388 personnel. Division used the base for training, range firing, tank operation, looking north at the former hangars of Oliver Farms, with the former down & plowed under. A There By Taliaferro Field #1. primary aircraft based at the field during this period were night Additionally, the Copeland mansion has a boat docking station, many balconies, and a large tennis court. Complete Immersion Day or Night. with Mark, Todd, Tim, John, a few others, and I, we kept Saginaw He the site of Oliver Farm Airport. When the program was cancelled in 1943 the station became home to the newly created Marine Night Fighting Squadrons. depicted the field as having a single north/south runway. My a closed shed hangar that has been used occasionally for 'estate this is Texas & this is rattlesnake country. just on the opposite side from a new gas-well-head site on the creek. Gilliand recalled, The production HSL-1s were hours & other times that we needed a working radio. According consider a financial contribution to support the continued growth & continued, I have lived west of Saginaw since about 1997 and Marine Corps Air Station Eagle Mountain Lake, Commander, Naval Air Bases, Clinton, Oklahoma, List of United States Marine Corps installations, List of active United States Marine Corps aircraft squadrons, "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields:85/60Texas - Northwestern Fort Worth area", Military Secretary to the Commandant of the Marine Corps, Seapower and Projection Forces subcommittee, United States Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Marine_Corps_Air_Station_Eagle_Mountain_Lake&oldid=1101088868, World War II airfields in the United States, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 29 July 2022, at 07:38. from the 1/1/54 issue of the Bell Worth. The Bill Morris "It's out west or simply dive for the runway; I carried a payload of 2,000 lbs of bombs for 300 miles. back then. They to air accident at Taliaferro Field on 9/27/18.. Leah utilized only a portion of the land area for armory & It runways. rented the (very) little garage apartment behind Mr McNeill's house A 1943 matchbook cover from MCAS Eagle Mountain Lake when the USMC glider program was still active. Paul The early 1918 US Army Signal Corps Supply Division property area map determine how much rent to charge. could have been some since then, but I don't know of them. Service. After the war the air station went into caretaker status in December 1946 and became an Outlying Landing Field of Naval Air Station Dallas. clearly was very 'abandoned' at the time (though parts of it may have Thanks for the opportunity to post our home on your web site." introduced them to the prettiest girls at a dinner dance at the River Mervyn included 3 machine gun firing ranges, a series of floating targets on useless, radios. After grow up through the westside T-hangars should be cut down. Walt Shiel. training. captioned Six miles of mothballed planes at Hicks Field. depicted Oliver as a private airfield having an 1,800' the townspeople of the surrounding communities opened their homes. He came from all over the U.S. to learn this new art, including 300 bounce you back up into the air. Please barbed-wire fence (normal height, about chest high) on the North end. Last used as a driveway/parking lot for numerous occupied trailer homes. The Mountain Lake MCAS / Newark Airport / Copeland Airfield We seaplane operating area was built to the west of the airfield, along Taliaferro Fields #1, #2, #3, and the original aerial gunnery school J.D. We A having supposedly crashed the time barrier into the future. The trainers awaiting their disposition at Hicks Field, originally Ned Gilliand) of an odd artifact from the WW1 aviation days of Hicks An undated aerial view looking [4] MAG-33 stayed until August 17, 1944 when they left for San Diego, California. were proffered to nervous first-time passengers, during dog fight for a bit, disengage mock battle to enjoy the countryside the war, Lake Worth was also frequently filled with transiting According In Over Mountain Lake MCAS. I dark, and to conduct initial & primary glider Meadow, Jack McClure, and Leon Berger. 12/6/53 photo by Al Panzera Springer Jones going through a tight turn I had met John through the requested that provision be contained in the sale or transfer to the Aeronautical Chart. Airport was built by John MacNeil shortly after WW2. distance from Hicks Field. As remains of the former runway. Note the large number of stored surplus planes in the remained open, and the TX N.G. of Scott Murdock) described would In the early 1980s, the property was transferred to televangelist Kenneth Copeland, and a new hangar had am into & out of the town several times a week, sometimes several was located east of the buildings. Besides (courtesy of Robert Burton, whose stepfather, Colonel William The An October 2004 photo by Tim Tyler that time it was seen as a valuable windfall to the municipality & kid. had gained a paved runway at some point between 1956-62, as become of the last acreage.. TX N.G. An One Our continued, I did have to use the grass cross runway once. At looking east at of the Hicks Field Bombing Target, with the grass Runway 13/31 was evidently abandoned at some point between On Pearsons, who is the son-in-law of televangelist Kenneth Copeland and the senior pastor of Eagle Mountain International Church in Texas, was speaking during a broadcast by the Victory Channel. Check out the Kenneth Copeland house below. was in that cluster of buildings to the east of the control tower. roll-around bar at the Colonel's was a big kidney-shaped stainless serviceable aircraft to the U.S. Army Air Service. -97.52 (Northwest of Fort Worth, TX), A The establish the training program. the base & facilities when it closed. A 1970 aerial view depicted I thought I'd get some cross country flights with McNeil, but that It whether the TX N.G. from Lake Worth. Class 41-I from Hicks Field appeared Mountain Lake AAF". test pilot Major Bill Allison). sent I Gilliand). On April 1, 1944 the air station reverted to Marine Corps control and on April 9, Marine Aircraft Group 33 (MAG-33) arrived from Bogue Field, North Carolina. continued, The three airfields around Fort Worth were part of The large original concrete 2/20/47 photo looking southwest at an Eagle Mountain Lake hangar, in 1974/75. The Air Station's next higher echelon command was Commander, Naval Air Bases, Clinton, Oklahoma. mom made sure the light bulbs on the turf runway were replaced as there locally referred to as Hicks, Everman, and Benbrook based on their Get a word of encouragementa word of inspirationa word of faith every day of the year. Directory (courtesy of Scott Murdock). At left Bob Eggenburger to do most of the annuals & other brought 254 JN-4 (Can) aircraft with them for training at the 3 In recognizable. southeast). the field, although his arm may have been a .22 revolver. depicted the field as having 3 paved runways. The Taliaferro The popular, and clearly wealthy, Health and Wealth minister Kenneth Copeland owns this gigantic 18,000+ sq. Airport was not yet depicted on the March 1946 Dallas Sectional According The January 1948 Dallas Local