I was losing blood so fast. But did I? Taylor, 26, came out of surgery at Atlanta's Grady Memorial Hospital at around 2:30 p.m., according to hospital spokeswoman Denise Simpson. However, her goal was to survive. It was very touch and go. In Touch Weekly is part of the a360media Entertainment Group.Copyright a360media 2023. A tube. One of the country's most successful fashion models, Taylor has graced the covers and pages of magazines like Seventeen, Cosmo, and Sports Illustrated. Niki Taylor was in Atlanta to visit friends for the weekend and planned to return home to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Monday to begin acting lessons, her publicist said. HONORS Continuing the neverending awards season, Whoopi Goldberg has been named the fourth annual winner of the Mark Twain prize for humor by the Kennedy Center for the Peforming Arts. I wanted to get back and see my twin boys, Taylor told Fox News. In May, she appeared in Swimsuits For Alls summer 2017 campaign alongside plus-size model Ashley Graham and singer Teyana Taylor in a Baywatch-inspired getup. Not a scratch. Renegar and passenger John Lack, who said they were old friends of Taylors, were treated and released from the hospital. No. The driver, Chad Renegar, said he was distracted by his cell phone ringing as he drove down an off-ramp, and when he took his eyes off the road to reach for the phone, he lost control of the car. My world grew to include not just the ceiling plastered with pictures of Hunter and Jake, but the walls of my room. Tragedy-scarred supermodel Niki Taylor was battling for her life last night with severe liver damage after the car in which she was riding crashed as the driver tried to answer his cell phone. The twosome, who appeared on magazine covers and in campaigns for brands including CoverGirl together, were inseparable until Krissy died suddenly and unexpectedly in 1995 of a rare . There are many women in Scripture who do extraordinary things. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. A year later I gave birth to Hunter and Jake. Reviving the undead horror series will be Busta Rhymes, Tyra Banks, and Sean Patrick Thomas (Save the Last Dance), while the heist comedy Scorched is looking to shoot with Woody Harrelson, Alicia Silverstone, and Rachael Leigh Cook. Entertainment Weekly is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. A single thought was in my head: Am I okay? We just cant allow anyone under 10 years old into the ICU. They were making new discoveries, growing in new ways every day. Are 90 Day Fiances Carlos and VaLentine Still Together? Fox411: Niki Taylor thanks the over 300 blood donors who helped save her life and says she battled to survive for the sake of her sons. It was her first swimsuit campaign since the 90s, one that she called nerve wracking, but empowering., I feel like Im the healthiest Ive ever been in my whole life, she insisted. I called it the begin Foundation. ATLANTA Supermodel Niki Taylor remained in critical condition with severe liver damage early Wednesday, three days after a car she was riding in crashed into a utility pole. If I had been sitting this way or this way or just in a different position, maybe the outcome would have been different. The 26-year-old, hazel-eyed stunner, who commands $50,000 a day as one of the worlds top runway models and cover girls, initially appeared unhurt in the Sunday-morning smashup. And they werent allowed in the ICU unit. They were very young at the time, 6-years-old. She is a wonderful girl, and this is such a terrible thing to happen, especially with so much tragedy in her family.. She was wearing a seat belt, according to the car's driver, a longtime friend of the model, who also said the 1993 Nissan Maxima did not have a passenger-side air bag. 5; Pearl Jams Jeremy at No. Sisters' Amy Slaton and Michael Halterman's Divorce, How Below Deck's Gary Feels About Daisy Moving On With Colin Boatmance. No surgery was planned. Now I had my boys to add to the mix. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. I was rushed to the hospital and I needed over 100 units of blood. Spoilers! Here I have plenty of opportunity to let that out. The slightest infection would be disastrous. I picked Nashville. 10. The now-42-year-old was also thinking about her younger sister Krissy Taylor. The 5-foot-11 hazel-eyed blonde has now recovered from the injuries she suffered in the April 2001 accident. By now my two friends were out of the vehicle too. How much of their lives had I missed already, just in the last month; I got angry at the only one I knew could hear me. Renegar and passenger John Lack, 30, were treated and released from the hospital. At 15, she landed her first Vogue cover -- the youngest cover girl in the magazine's history. It took over 100 units of blood to save her life. Taylor's full update on "Oprah: Where Are They Now?" What about Jake and Hunter? The agency asked me to come in. The risk of infection is down enough for us to move you across the street to the rehab hospital, one of my doctors said to me. Seventeen minutes long and directed by feature filmmaker John Landis (An American Werewolf in London), Thriller premiered on MTV in 1983. The 26-year-old Taylor, who was wearing a seat belt, was not thrown from the car and initially appeared to be unhurt, publicist Lou Taylor said. Niki Taylor: My Kids Make Me Happier Than I Ever Imagined, Niki Taylor: Burney Lamar Is the 'Best Father'. And, of course, theres our church, Calvary Chapel Brentwood, where we feel at home every Sunday, a place where we can center our lives. Taylor initially thought she was unhurt but then suffered stomach pains. To learn more about donating blood, visit the American Red Cross website. Web posted at: 5:17 p.m. EDT (2117 GMT) ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- An attorney for model Niki Taylor said Monday he was investigating . Every night after my accident, I was going to bed, during my recovery, wondering 'Whose blood do I have inside me? That was always in the back of my mind. What about my boys? Find Out Little People, Big Worlds Caryn Chandlers Net Worth, Ryan Edwards Destroyed Home Shared With Mackenzie Ahead of Arrest, Find Out 'Little People, Big World' Star Matt Roloff's Impressive Net Worth, 90 Day Fiance's SojaBoy Responds to Filming Speculation With Rumored GF, Sumner Stroh Reflects on Adam Levine Cheating Scandal 7 Months Later, '90 Day Fiance' Stars Mark, Key Were Married, Split and Are Now Divorced, 90 Day Fiance's Winter Everett Responds to Asuelu Pulaa Dating Rumors, Josh Seiter Reacts to 90 Day Fiance's Karine Staehle Reuniting With Paul, 90 Day Fiance's Paul and Karine Back on OnlyFans to 'Pay for Lawyer Fees', 90 Day Fiances Paul, Karine Officially Back Together: She Begged', Inside 1000-Lb. To paraphrase Josie and the Pussycats, Heath Ledger is the new Wes Bentley; the Knights Tale star may replace Bentley (American Beauty) in Monsters Ball.. Wake up to the day's most important news. NINETIES supermodel Niki Taylor has spoken candidly to Oprah Winfrey about the loss of her little sister, fellow model Krissy Taylor. Copyright 2023 Meredith Corporation. If the writers walk, and if Hollywood actors follow suit when their contract expires on June 30, film and TV production could shut down all summer. Also in the above video, Taylor talks about the 2001 car crash that nearly took her life. Taylor, 40, became a very vocal advocate of the Red Cross following a near-fatal car accident in 2001. Getty. Thank you, God. The first word spoken by the model since the April 29 crash was "Coke," said her . Death On July 2, 1995, Niki Taylor found Krissy lying unconscious on the floor of their family's home in Florida. My sisters, Joelle and Krissy, came along too, whenever they could. VIDEO HISTORY Forget about the Beatles, Nirvana, and the Rolling Stones. Niki Taylor is a bonafide supermodel. Even a short hospital stay would break that promise. We just need make sure there's enough blood on the shelves. Renegar and passenger John Lack, 30, were treated and released after the accident. If things really did happen for a reason, it was up to me to find the reason for my accidentto discover how I could turn what had happened to me into something genuinely positive. And she doesn't look back at the crash with rage or resentment. In 1995, Nikis 17-year-old kid sister, Krissy, who had just launched her own modeling career, died after an asthma attack. "It should have been the worst thing. She suffered severe liver damage. Shell be honored at a ceremony at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., on October 15, following in the footsteps of past winners Richard Pryor, Jonathan Winters, and Carl Reiner. While it took more than 300 blood donors to provide the blood Taylor needed to survive, she had the chance to meet 15 of those "superheroes" through the American Red Cross in 2013. In 1995 she found her younger sister, Krissy, dead from an asthma attack in their home near Fort Lauderdale. After surviving a serious car accident, supermodel Niki Taylor had to stay in the ICU for monthsbut she always kept her family in her prayers. My husband keeps me young. She was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, Ga., where she was in critical condition in the intensive-care unit. Driver James Renegar, 27, told cops he glanced down to answer his cell phone and lost control of the car. I made the trip over later that day. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. The kids are out of school. Atlanta police spokesman John Quigley said Taylor fared the worst of the three people in the vehicle. Get Two FREE GIFTS Lovely Tote and a Silver-tone Scripture Pendant, yours free with a hardcover or series purchase. If a cameraman needed a hand moving some cable or a stylist needed someone to run out for two dozen gerbera daisies, my parents were ready to pitch in. A T L A N T A, May 1, 2001 -- Supermodel Niki Taylor remains in critical condition in an Atlanta hospital following a car crash into a utility pole. Halle Bailey, Melissa McCarthy, and director Rob Marshall share the tale behind making their underwater musical with a groundbreaking Disney princess. All rights reserved. No! Suddenly my mind flashed back to the accident. or redistributed. I had to take a long time off to get healthy again. The one where EW follows up with the cast. They ranged from ages 18-60 and were all of different ethnicities and backgrounds. There's nothing on that phone that can be nearly as important as what's going on in front of you.". ' she said. On June 14, recognized as World Blood Donor Day, she participated in the ninth annual Nexcare Give Campaign, which offered specially designed bandages as a badge of honor to donors nationwide. May 2, 2001 -- Model Niki Taylor has been "touch and go" since a car accident Sunday left her with severe internal injuries, her agent told Reuters today. "The result of that has changed the lives of three people and their families. The car accident tore my liver my half. Hunter and Jake are growing like crazy and Im loving every minute of it. I was just happy to be recovering. Taylor, who was wearing a seatbelt, initially appeared to be unhurt, until she experienced severe abdominal pain. On its show The Ship, to air in 2002, contestants will spend six weeks sailing to Australia on a replica of the Endeavor, an 18th century vessel used by Captain Cook. Taylor's manager, Lou Taylor (no relation), said in an earlier statement that the Cover Girl model went into surgery at 8 a.m. She said Taylor is in critical condition. For the rest of the day, they hung out with me in the bed and we watched TV together, just like we would have on a normal, lazy Saturday at home. One donation can save up to three lives, and you never know when youre going to be the one who needs the help.. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. There are more accidents during the summer. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Frankie Smith, assistant director of patient care at Grady Memorial Hospital, said Taylor's condition was unchanged from late Tuesday. Nikis parents, Barbara and Ken Taylor, and older sister, Joelle, were keeping a round-the-clock vigil at Nikis bedside. Renegar told police he lost control of the car near downtown Atlanta. She landed on the cover of Seventeen magazine when she was barely 14. At 17 I was Vogues youngest cover girl ever. She said Taylor is in critical condition. In a 1995 Forbes magazine survey ranking the world's top models, Taylor ranked sixth with estimated 1994 earnings of $2.4 million. The Most Scandalous and Controversial Moments in Met Gala History, Gabby Petito Case: Laundrie Attorney Seeks Text, Call Receipts. In fact, to her, it's a lesson in moving forward. Then, as her marriage became to come unstuck, Niki was met with tragedy. World Blood Donor Day is June 14 and, in honor of the Give campaign, donors will receive limited edition Nexcare bandages that the model says you can show off like a badge of honor and share using #GiveInspires., Neve Campbell Says 'It Was Sad' to Leave 'Scream 6' but She 'Couldn't Bear' Feeling 'Undervalued', Neve Campbell Returns to Her Final Girl Roots in Red Cross' Blood Drive Horror Campaign, Clea Shearer Says L.A. Trip Took 'Scary Turn' After She Ended Up in the Emergency Room, James Van Der Beek Is Thankful for 'Surprise' Son Jeremiah After Being 'Done' Having Kids, Jason Momoa Calls for Donors to the 'Be The Match Registry' Inspired by Friend's Cancer, Ashley Graham Shows Off Her 'Strong' Body 5 Months Postpartum to 'Further Normalize ALL Bodies', James Van Der Beek's Family Get into the Christmas Spirit with Holiday-Themed Costumes, Chrissy Teigen Says She's Undergoing IVF After Loss of Son Jack: 'I Honestly Don't Mind the Shots', James Van Der Beek and Wife Kimberly Welcome Sixth Baby After 2 Pregnancy Losses: 'Overjoyed', Niki Taylor: My Daughter Is the 'Boss of the Family', Niki Taylor's Blog: Figuring Out Four Kids, Man Who Needed New Kidney Finds His Perfect Match Thanks to Company Newsletter: 'I Was in Shock'. or redistributed. Are 90 Day Fiance's Debbie and Oussama Still Together Despite Age Gap? REALITY TV MTV is already prepared for a writers strike, with four unscripted series ready to air by July. Entertainment Weekly may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Atlanta police accepted Chad's explanation that he drove into the pole when he reached to answer his cell phone. Cover Girl Niki Taylor Watch on The 26-year-old single mother was riding in a friend's car in Atlanta when driver James Renegar ran off the road and hit a utility pole. After attempts to revive Taylor by her family and authorities failed, she was rushed to Memorial Hospital West and pronounced dead at 5:39 a.m. [2] She was 17 years old. After dozens of operations to repair the damage of the accident, I had too many scars to be a full-body model anymore. Shes also a proud supporter of the American Red Cross and has tirelessly encouraged her fans to donate blood, especially during the summer months. Niki Taylor found her sister unconscious at the family's home in Pembroke Pines, Fla. She dealt with the devastating death of her sister by getting back to work quickly. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says distracted driving causes one-quarter of the nation's 6.3 million annual automobile accidents, and in some parts of the country there have been efforts to make it illegal to use hand-held phones while driving. The crash, which badly damaged the model's liver, occurred just 20 minutes later. Meanwhile, the Latin Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences has named Julio Iglesias its 2001 Person of the Year, in recognition of his career and his philanthropy. 9. And I needed them. Plus, no writers' strike yet, Jerry Seinfeld hits the road, and more, Credit: Niki Taylor: Nancy Kaszerman/Zuma Press, Niki Taylor is seriously hurt in a car crash. Staring up at that empty ceiling, I thought, God, I know how fortunate Ive been in my life, but Ive had my heartbreaks too and I dont want anymore. (Thats right, with a small b because the best things start out small.) All Rights Reserved, Please note that this form cannot be used to reset your Google, What Happened to Sister Wives Star Janelle Browns RV? The 26-year-old single mother was riding in a friends car in Atlanta when driver James Renegar ran off the road and hit a utility pole. Police said they did not suspect drugs or alcohol contributed to the accident. I would do whatever it took to get better, to survive this. 8; and Herbie Hancocks Rockit at No. Taylor was 14 when she became a Seventeen magazine cover girl. Lou Taylor said the model was awake but heavily sedated on Tuesday. The supermodel, who landed her first Vogue cover at 15, shared her story of tragedy her younger sister Krissy, also a model, died from a rare heart condition in 1995 at age 17 and miraculous survival in an interview with Oprah last fall. But Taylors work isnt just spotted in front of a lens. Your liver was virtually torn in half, one of the surgeons explained. The crash left. So far Id managed to navigate both the triumphs and the tragedies that came along because of the anchor provided by my family and my faith. In 1995 my little sister, Krissy, died suddenly of right ventricular dysplasia, a rare heart condition. Not only is she a supermodel and a supermom, but Niki Taylor is also super charitable. And even while Taylor healed, she kept wondering who saved her life. All rights reserved. Shes a little woman.. Apparently, her then-boyfriend, Chad Renegar, was attempting to answer his call when he lost control of the car and, as a result, crashed into a utility pole. Legal Statement. The same year I got my scuba certification, I came to New York to shoot my first cover, for Seventeen magazine. Its important to raise awareness because every two seconds somebody needs a blood transfusion. "Everyone felt she was OK, and then she had severe stomach pains," publicist Taylor said. Meet Steve Burton and Estranged Wife Sheree Burton's 3 Kids, Savannah Chrisley Details Awkward Return to Southwest Airlines, Calling It Quits! My body was very different. And I knew, somewhere inside, that things were going to be okay. Last year my manager, Lou Taylor, and I opened a clothing store here called Abbie & Jesses (Abbie is Lous dog and Jesse is mine), and I founded an organization that gives women with exciting business ideas but limited resources a chance to develop them. By 15, she was the youngest model ever to sign a major cosmetics contract for L'Oreal and the youngest face ever to land on the cover of Vogue. In a 1995 Forbes magazine survey ranking the world's top models, Taylor ranked sixth with estimated 1994 earnings of $2.4 million. 3, Are Billy Ray Cyrus and Singer Firerose Dating? "Everyone goes through something. I had to fight. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. The driver, 27-year-old James "Chad" Renegar, told police he reached down to answer his cell phone and lost control. She brought in a package. Ten years later, in 2001, she was critically injured in a car crash in Atlanta, suffering a collapsed lung and major live damage. Christine Shares Update. 4; Guns N Roses November Rain at No. We like to work out," she says. Taylor's younger sister, Krissy, died in 1995 at age 17 after an asthma attack aggravated a rare heart problem. And the doctor who performed surgery on me during those first 24 hours was there with his nurse too., Since her near-fatal car crash, the mother of four is happily raising her family while pursuing modeling again. And theyre gorgeous Im just glad I get to be a part of it still, at 42 years old!. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Hell be honored September 11 in Miami. The 50 greatest TV and movie detectives of all time. Market data provided by Factset. Renegar and the other passenger were not seriously hurt. "Oh, yeah, plenty of times," she told ABCNEWS' Diane Sawyer, for an April 1997 story on Primetime Live. He and passenger John Lack, 30 Nikis longtime friends were treated and released after the accident. Taylor, 26, came out of surgery at Atlanta's Grady Memorial Hospital at around 2:30 p.m., according to hospital spokeswoman Denise Simpson. Niki, who lives in Atlanta, suffered serious lung and liver damage in an April 29 car accident that occurred when the driver reached down to pick up his cell phone. Tune in Sundays at 9pm/8c. Dr. Jeffrey Nichols said it will be weeks before he knows whether she will fully recover from extensive liver damage suffered in the car accident. I always felt I had to raise awareness in some way," says Taylor. Legal Statement. A lot has happened in my 40 years, and it was a nice reflection on what Ive done and been through, and how I came out, she says. And, for the first time, I could see the TV that hung over my bed. She was listed in critical condition before the surgery, and her doctor said Wednesday he does not expect her condition to improve for several weeks. May 3, 2001 -- Supermodel Niki Taylor underwent surgery today on her lungs and liver for life-threatening injuries she suffered in a car accident early Sunday. But for some reason I was supposed to go through that and be in the hospital for three months -- be in a coma, die on the operating table twice.". I had a lot of scars. We worked together. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. At 20 years old, she found Krissy, then 17, on the floor of the family home in Florida. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. "It was definitely a miracle that I survived," Taylor says. I'm 41 now. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Did The Family Chantel Star Lidia Jimeno Get Plastic Surgery? ET on OWN. "The biggest tragedy and loss in my life was losing my little sister," says 39-year-old Taylor, who opens up about her past on an upcoming episode of "Oprah: Where Are They Now?" Rex, too, is growing up too fast. Every single day she pulls through is a positive day. SHOP FOR MOTHERS DAY WITH SITEWIDE SAVINGS. She was hurt early Sunday when the car in which she was riding crashed into a utility pole. And now here I was, flat on my back because of multiple surgeries, completely immobile, staring at the blank ceiling. May 3, 2001 -- Supermodel Niki Taylor underwent surgery today on her lungs and liver for life-threatening injuries she suffered in a car accident early Sunday. They hopped up onto the bed and put their arms around me. The generosity of Americans coming out during National Blood Donor Week has particularly stricken a chord with '90s supermodel Niki Taylor, who like those injured in the June 12 attack found. A mother of twin 6-year-old sons, Taylor was planning to return to her South Florida home this week to start acting lessons. Becoming. Today, says Taylor, she feels amazing. Is Sister Wives Season 18 Still Happening? She models. More work followed. I had two more beautiful kids. That was my focus, my family.. But less than 24 hours later, she collapsed with excruciating stomach pains. ATLANTA - Supermodel Niki Taylor remained in critical condition with severe liver damage early Wednesday, three days after a car she was riding in crashed into a utility pole. She was only 17. I needed lots of blood, and Ive always thought about the donors who gave me a second chance at life, she tells PEOPLE. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. Hell yada yada in six cities over the next two months, starting Wednesday at Meyerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Some professional women see work and family as separate. All rights reserved. I gotta see my boys.. ABCNEWS Radio's Andrew Colton contributed to this report, 24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events. According to the police report, she was a passenger in the 1993 Nissan Maxima and was wearing a seatbelt when driver James Renegar reached for his ringing cellphone and slammed into a utility pole. airs Sunday, Nov. 16 at 9 p.m. The healthiest I've ever been. Id always felt that everything in life happens for a reason, a reason that sometimes only God understands. Taylor, who began modeling at 13, is one of the top-ranked models in the country. By entering your email and clicking Sign Up, you're agreeing to let us send you customized marketing messages about us and our advertising partners. Boho or Go Home? Not see my kids for months? But there were clouds on the horizon, times ahead when I would need my faith more than ever. In my teens, I knew two things: I wanted to be a marine biologist (my dad, a highway patrolman, and I got our scuba certifications together the summer I was 14) and I wanted to be a mother. More? Racing against the strikes are the producers of Halloween 8 and Scorched, which hope to shoot in May before the Screen Actors Guild contract expires. "The biggest tragedy and loss in my life was losing my little sister," says 39-year-old Taylor, who opens up about her past on an upcoming episode of "Oprah: Where Are They Now?". At that time, Taylor admits to self-medicating. May 7, 2001. I wanted to share my story with people because my life is really, really good, but I owe it all to those blood donors.. I miss her very much," she says, choking up. Still at issue is a $100 million gap between the writers demands and the producers offer. Rounding out the top 10 are: Peter Gabriels stop action video for Sledgehammer at No. Her condition has. We don't drink. Niki Taylor reflects on near-fatal car crash, 'Yellowstone' star Lainey Wilson has 'no clue what's going on' amid show drama, Guy Ritchie's 'The Covenant' explores true depth of military service, 'Fatal Attraction' behind the scenes secrets from the 1980s thriller, King Charles coronation intimate guest list includes notable snubs, Meghan Markle, Prince Harry 'disloyal' for 'trashing royal family,' need to 'find their own identity': ex pal, Katy Perry says she and fianc Orlando Bloom 'continuously put in the work to keep their relationship strong. Next thing I knew I was crawling from the car. In this exciting ALL NEW historical biblical fiction series, you can shed new light on the stories of the most extraordinary women such as Ruth, Elizabeth, Deborah, Rahab, Bathsheba, Mary, and many more. By ABC News. Coming in second is Madonnas Like a Prayer video, which caused an international controversy over what the Catholic church considered blasphemous depictions. This year, like all the years since I left the hospital, it will be the happiest day of my life. He was given a ticket for striking a stationary object and having no proof of insurance, but police said they did not suspect drugs or alcohol contributed to the accident. I needed all our little daily rituals: putting them into their PJs, picking up their toys, smelling their hair after a bath. Shes an old soul and so smart I dont remember being so smart! After surviving a serious car accident, supermodel Niki Taylor had to stay in the ICU for monthsbut she always kept her family in her prayers. Tom Brokaw, on the other hand, may be NBCs strongest link, as NBC Nightly News marked its 52nd straight week as the top rated evening newscast. According to the police report, she was a . (Photo by Erik S. Lesser/Newsmakers) Taylor, who suffered trauma to her liver and abdomen but no head injuries or facial lacerations, remains in critical condition and under heavy sedation at Atlantas Grady Memorial Hospital, says her agent, Lou Taylor (no relation).