By continuing well assume youre on board with our If the witches do tell the truthand what they told you, Macbeth, was brilliantly truethen maybe their prophecies about me are true as well. Unable to take the torment, it was implied that she ended up taking her own life right before the battle between Macbeth and the English troops began - 'The queen, my lord, is dead' (5. old form: Royaltie Our fears in banquo stick deep and in his royalty in nature reigns in which could be feared, Macbeth - his sons will be kings so he has to make sure he doesn't live because Banquo is suspicious about everything and can no longer be trusted - to the murderers, Thou hast it now king, cawdor, glammis, all, Banquo is suspicious of Macbeth - speaking to the audience - soliloquy - reason he gets murdered, Lady Macbeth - about Macbeth and him being "sick" but he is really seeing Banquo's ghost - saying it to the dinner guests - tries to make him seem less crazy, suspicious - excuse for strange behavior, Lady Macbeth - soliloquy - she is beginning to feel guilty on how they rose to power - shift in power, he didn't want to kill but she made him and now he can't stop and she is feeling very weak and guilty because she is the reason that he is gaining power and also going crazy, Macbeth and Banquo's Attitudes to the Superna. Then, prophetlike, They hailed him father to a line of kings. Macbeth admits to being afraid of Banquo. If you love the character of Macbeth, but feel this monologue isnt the right fit, check out our full list of Macbeth Monologues. To keep himself safe. When Macbeth arrives at his castle, he and Lady Macbeth plot to assassinate King Duncan, soon to be their guest, so that Macbeth can become king.After Macbeth murders Duncan, the kings two sons flee, and Macbeth is crowned. Ross visits Lady Macduff and tries to justify to her Macduffs flight to England, a flight that leaves his family defenseless. As upon thee, Macbeth, their speeches shine. In Macbeth, it is evident of how fear can affect any character. Ill come to you anon. MACBETH enters dressed as king, and LADY MACBETH enters dressed as queen, together with LENNOX, ROSS, LORDS, LADIES, and attendants. From the creators of SparkNotes, something better. Banquo, who has accompanied Duncan to Inverness, is uneasy because he too is tempted by the witches prophecies, although only in his dreams. Reports are brought to Macbeth of the Scottish and English forces massed against him. He knows hell go to hell. But well settle for tomorrow. Alone with Lady Macbeth, Macbeth resolves to meet the witches again. Well, this is where we see Macbeth really start to spiral. Ill come to you soon. Duncan, king of Scotland, hears an account of the success in battle of his noblemen Macbeth and Banquo. But to be King and safe. A Scottish force, in rebellion against Macbeth, marches toward Birnam Wood to join Malcolm and his English army. A trumpet sounds. Your resolve shines in your eyes. Is your nature so forgiving that you dont feel the need for revenge? Most editors and scholars believe that neither this scene nor the passages in 4.1 were written by Shakespeare. On the other hand, Macbeth's obsession with the prophecies also weakened himself. Hardison Poetry Reading Series and workshops, Our virtual book club inspired by Shakespeare and our collection, Read and learn more about Shakespeare's plays and poems, The First Folio (the book that gave us Shakespeare) and what came after, From playhouse to film sets, explore four centuries of staging Shakespeare, Find out about Shakespeare's life in Stratford and London, See manuscripts, paintings, costumes and more from the Folger collection, Resources and activities for young children and their parents, An accessible and immersive way to teach students about any kind of literature, Get full access to the latest resources and ongoing professional development, From live webinars to on-demand content for educators, join us, Access lesson plans and activities for the classroom, organized by play, Read and search the complete works of Shakespeare for free, All kinds of programs for all kinds of students, From printed works of Shakespeare to rare materials from the early modern period, Researcher registration and reference services, Find out about our scholarly programs and fellowship opportunities, Use our online catalog to search the Folger collection, Access our digital image collection, finding aids, and more, Get answers to your questions about Shakespeare, our collection, and more, Unlock more of the Folger with a membership, More options for how to make your donation, Our campaign supporting the building renovation project, Help keep the Folger going and growing for the next generation, A celebratory evening to benefit the Folger, DOC (for MS Word, Apple Pages, Open Office, etc.) Till suppertime alone. Rathen than this outcome, bring fate in the tournament and challenge me to the fight to the death for the throne! Within the hour, Ill tell you where to go, and advise you about exactly when to strike. He notes Banquos response to their prophecy. Once Duncan's body was discovered, Macbeth had immediately rushed up to the king's chamber and killed the two sleeping guards. Put rancours in the vessel of my peace He says he cannot just get rid of Banquo with his power "for certain friends that are both [Banquo's] and [Macbeth's], Whose being I do fear: and, under him, Ill see you when you return tonight. Rather than so, come fate into the list. 61-62). Macbeth Act 3 Scene 1 Soliloquy Analysis. When he finds himself incapable of returning the daggers, Lady Macbeth does so. Macbeth has made the decision in this monologue to do whatever it takes to stay King. personality, innate disposition, character, Stick (v.) "Our fears in Banquo Stick deep, and in his royalty of nature Reigns that which would be feared" - Worried about Banquo - Saying there is something noble about him "'Tis much he dares" - Says he is daring enough to challenge Macbeth "and under him My genius is rebuked" - Saying his 'guardian angel' gets scared in Banquo's presence In response they summon for him three apparitions: an armed head, a bloody child, and finally a child crowned, with a tree in his hand. His smarts guide any bravery he exhibits to. Only for them; and mine eternal jewel I believe that she was partly. Definitions and examples of 136 literary terms and devices. You may disagree with a lot of what weve discussed but hopefully, its given you plenty to reflect on. There is none but he Whose being I do fear, and under him 60 My genius is rebuked, as it is said Mark Antony's was by Caesar. You have it now: youre King, the Thane of Cawdor, and the Thane of Glamis, just as the witches promised. The fear of Macbeth's own defeat had lead to a constant reminder for himself to continue fighting and living until the predictions did come true. Sirrah, a word with you. not of the same family, of different descent, Issue (n.) Ive given my eternal soul to the devil so that they could become kings. Being the king means nothing unless. Macbeth is confident that he can withstand any siege from Malcolms forces. can use them for free to gain inspiration and new creative ideas for their writing Because it must be done tonight, some distance from the palace. This shows us just how paranoid and deathly afraid Macbeth is of Banquo and how desperately he wants to cling to his power. Our fears in Banquo Stick deep, and in his royalty of nature Reigns that which would be feared. Learn about the building renovation and start planning your visit. He has king-like qualitys which in itself is reason to be fearful. Macbeth is fearful of the consequences of his actions and is haunted by the ghost of Banquo. Whom the vile blows and buffets of the world. To make the evening all the more enjoyable, Im going to spend the time until dinner alone. Put rancours in the vessel of my peace There is none but he Whose being I do fear: and, under him, Just as hounds and greyhounds, mongrels, spaniels, mutts, shaggy lapdogs, shaggy water-dogs, and half-wolves are all dogs. In his presence, my guardian spirit is intimidated, just as they say Mark Antonys spirit was intimidated by Octavius Caesar. For them the gracious Duncan have I murder'd; As hounds and greyhounds, mongrels, spaniels, curs. Now, if you stand in the list of men in some position that isnt down at the very bottom rank, say so. After Ross leaves, a messenger arrives to warn Lady Macduff to flee. That it was he, in the times past, which held you, So under fortune, which you thought had been. Everyone exits except MACBETH and a SERVANT. Macbeth begins to become afraid of any and all around him who could take his power from him. Are you so religious that youd pray for this good man and his children, when hes forced you into an early grave and made your entire family beggars? For Banquos issue have I filed my mind; Macbeth! Macbeth! Retrieved from https://phdessay.com/macbeth-analysis-fear-macbeth-evident-fear-can-affect-character/, Hire skilled expert and get original paper in 3+ hours, Run a free check or have your essay done for you, Didn`t find the right sample? Upon my head they placed a fruitless crown And put a barren scepter in my grip, Thence to be wrenched with an unlineal hand, No son of mine succeeding. Order custom essay Macbeth Analysis of Fear We all work together to contribute useful articles and resources for actors at all stages in their careers. Ill come to you soon. The Metre of Macbeth: Blank Verse and Rhymed Lines. 5. Macbeth arrives, and Lady Macbeth tells him that she will take charge of the preparations for Duncans visit and for his murder. Save time and let our verified experts help you. 2-3) and 'I will not be afraid of death and bane, Till Birnam forest comes to Dunsinane' (5. . Then everything hes done so far will have all been for Banquos children. Macbeth, fearing that Banquos children, not his own, will be the future kings of Scotland, seizes upon the opportunity provided by Banquos scheduled return after dark to arrange for his murder. When Macbeth, Banquo, Ross, and Angus join Duncan, he offers thanks to Macbeth and Banquo. Thence to be wrenched with an unlineal hand. My lord, I'm a man who has gotten so angry from the beatings that the world has given me. He refers to a dreadful deed that will happen that night but does not confide his plan for Banquos murder to Lady Macbeth. Hes also mine, and to such a degree that every minute hes alive threatens my own well-being. Instant PDF downloads. Macbeth approaches the witches to learn how to make his kingship secure. Macbeth demonstrated his anxiety regarding his royal legacy by commenting 'To be thus is nothing; But to be safely thus. He foresees a future marked by further violence. attendant spirit, guardian spirit, Chide (v.) Then they will be wrenched from my hands by someone outside my family Quotes: Macbeth instantly changes mood and tone here, what two consecutive quotes show this? Whos there? Though, as King, I could just use my raw power to destroy him, I cant do that because we have mutual friends whom I need. Before she can do so, Macbeths men attack her and her son. 'tis much he dares; And, to that dauntless temper of his mind, He possess a fearless qaulity / he is daring. Lady Macbeth is also fearful, as she is struggling with guilt and regret over her involvement in the murder of Duncan. Your resolve shines in your eyes. Macbeth's psychological mindset was indicated through this quote, his vigilance drove him to the desire of murdering Macduff and hence his family. All of you can do what you want until seven oclock tonight. Macbeth, set primarily in Scotland, mixes witchcraft, prophecy, and murder. I told you all about it when we last met and showed you proofhow you were tricked and deceived by the agents who did the dirty work, and who they were working with, and enough other details that even a half-wit would say Banquo did it!, Your patience so predominant in your nature. And champion me to the utterance! Macbeth knows that Banquo will be thinking about this too. He is a natural King and this runs in his blood and that should be feared. But to be safely thus.--Our fears in Banquo Stick deep; and in his royalty of nature Reigns that which would be fear'd: 'tis much he dares; And, to that dauntless temper of his mind, He. Within the hour, Ill tell you where to go, and advise you about exactly when to strike. While Lady Macbeth is able to dismiss as a momentary fit Macbeths expressions of horror at the ghosts first appearance, the reappearance of the ghost and Macbeths outcries in response to it force Lady Macbeth to send all the guests away. Ill call upon you straight. It should not stand in thy posterity, 5 But that myself should be the root and father. But to be safely thus.Our fears in Banquo (F) Macbeth realised that if the prophecies are true. Explore how the human body functions as one unit in harmony in order to life //= $post_title To be thus is nothing, but to be safely thus-- Our fears in Banquo stick deep, And in his royalty of nature reigns that Which would be feared. Upon learning that 'none of woman born Shall harm Macbeth' (4. When first they put the name of king upon me, No son of mine succeeding. Once the battle commenced, Macbeth repeatedly announced the prophecies, either to himself or to whatever audience is there to listen, fearing he would have forgotten. Rather than let that happen, let fate step up to the plate. The nameless lord responds with news of Macduffs flight to England to seek help in overthrowing Macbeth. To be thus is nothing; Macbeth can not have this. Theyre outside the palace gate. Troubled by the witches' prediction that Banquos heirs will rule Scotland, Macbeth hires a couple of assassins to kill Banquo and Fleance when theyre out riding later that day. He also know that Banquo is brave. And so of men. Duncan and his attendants arrive at Inverness. At least not anymore. When the witches first said I would be king, Banquo scolded them, and told them to speak with him. with free plagiarism report. old form: Lyst I will advise you where to plant yourselves. We should have else desired your good advice Which still hath been both grave and prosperous In this days council, but well take tomorrow. My Genius is rebuked; as, it is said, He seeks assurance in the apparitions promise of safety for himself. Fleance, his son, that keeps him company, Than is his fathers, must embrace the fate. Since I have no son to take my place. So there you are! Learn more and register your interest at our online acting course page. While staying safe. Im deeply afraid of Banquohe has a natural nobility about him that makes him a threat to me. It is set on a modern, run-down housing estate in Birmingham. [To the SERVANT] Sir, a word with you. Just as hounds and greyhounds, mongrels, spaniels, mutts, shaggy lapdogs, shaggy water-dogs, and half-wolves are all dogs. For them Ive destroyed my peace of mind. He has wisdom that admonishes his foritude to act safley. The notion of Macbeth being so sceptical of his previous good friend accentuates his moral decline as he plots to murder both Banquo and his son. Thou playedst most foully for t. Yet it was said. ?>. You have it now: youre King, the Thane of Cawdor, and the Thane of Glamis, just as the witches promised. Persuades them that Banquo is a bad person. And put a barren sceptre in my gripe, Know That it was he, in the times past, which held you So under fortune, which you thought had been Our innocent self. without line numbers, as DOC (for MS Word, Apple Pages, Open Office, etc.) And because of that Macbeth isnt afraid of no one but him. Macbeth isalso worried that, if the witches' prophecies have come true, then he has killed Duncan for the benifit of Banquo's sons / descendants and this causes him great unease because if this were to be true thenit could result in macbeths death or the lossof the throne. This solilquy shows the change in character of macbeth -due to the fact that he is not ruled by remorse or guilt now, but by anger and panic. There is none but he Whose being I do fear; and under him 60 My genius is rebuked, as it is said He then announces his intention to have his son Malcolm succeed him as king and his plan to visit Macbeth at Inverness. He has brought with him the daggers that he used on Duncan, instead of leaving them in the room with Duncans servants as Lady Macbeth had planned. If what the witches say is true, then everything Ive done has been for the benefit of Banquos childrendishonoring myself, murdering gracious Duncan, destroying my peace of mind, all for them. To be thus is nothing; But to be safely thus.-Our fears in Banquo Stick deep; and in his royalty of nature Reigns that which would be fear'd: 'tis much he dares; And, to that dauntless temper of his mind, He hath a wisdom that doth guide his valour To act in safety. If my position isnt safe, then being king is worthless. In the quote of 'Out, damned spot! Though one may hide his or her fears behind a strong exterior, it remains a potent motivating force throughout life. prudent course of action, best safeguard, Genius (n.) 'Our fears in Banquo stick deep and in his royalty of nature' - Macbeth Considers what it is about Banquo - causes him concern - states - 'royalty of nature' - causes Macbeth to fear him - Macbeth - acknowledges - valour - without - unnecessary Sets found in the same folder Lady Macbeth Essay 12 terms emilyh123xo Banquo Essay 9 terms emilyh123xo Each of you should decide for himself whether you will do this. Macbeth fears Banquo, his former friend and ally, because Banquo is aware of Macbeth's involvement in the murder of King Duncan. And his mind never stops. If there come truth from them As upon thee, Macbeth, their speeches shine Why, by the verities on thee made good, May they not be my oracles as well, And set me up in hope? Hes the only one I fear. Seen through the development of the plotline, the final outcome of the play was affected greatly by fear and also inspired by how this particular sentiment can dominate and control the nature of mankind. But now I must be quiet. Malcolm arrives with his troops before Dunsinane Castle. While then, God be with you! Lady Macbeth and himself are having a ceremonial banquet for Duncan's death. This lead to his participation in the murder of Banquo, where Macbeth's cautious attitude insisted that committing a second crime would further secure his role as king. Beware Macduff. Mark Antonys was by Caesar. Fear is a significant factor in building a person's character, be it affecting their actions, their words, regardless of whether it is right or wrong. Your spirits shine through you. Meanwhile, his consistent repetitions of the apparitions' predictions implied a certain mindset of where he saw them as a protection against whatever harm. And put a sceptre in my hands that I cant pass on And champion me to the utterance! His death would cure me. As legend has it, Marc Antonys guardian angel was afraid of Octavius Caesar. The rebel Scottish forces have joined Malcolms army at Birnam Wood. 15-17) and this lead to the underestimation of Macduff once they started to fight and hence brought the tyrant and protagonist of the play to his end. regal quality, majestic character, lordliness, Safety (n.) They said he would be the father of Kings. I am one, my liege, Whom the vile blows and buffets of the world Have so incensed that I am reckless what I do to spite the world. Our fears in Banquo stick deep'.7 Macbeth is plotting to kill Banquo purely because of his own fear in Banquo. Actually, the main characters, Macbeth and Lady Macbeth are both representative of the abovementioned qualities.. Partners in crime is what comes to mind when you think about Macbeth and Lady Macbeths relationship. Yes, youre part of the species called men. you to an academic expert within 3 minutes. The valued file Distinguishes the swift, the slow, the subtle, The housekeeper, the hunter, every one According to the gift which bounteous nature Hath in him closed, whereby he does receive Particular addition, from the bill That writes them all alike. They are, my lord, without the palace gate. cookie policy. Reigns that which would be feard: tis much he dares; He laughed at the witches when they said I would be king. Macbeth is philosiphizing over Banquos prophecy. There is none but he Whose being I do fear, and under him My genius is rebuked, as it is said Mark Antonys was by Caesar. The major changes from the play are the setting. My crown and scepter will be taken from me by someone from outside my family. You can describe each dog based on the natural gifts that separate and make it different from the general qualities that define a dog. Not i th worst rank of manhood, say t. Lady Macbeth welcomes them. For Banquos issue have I filed my mind; We hear that the murderous princes have gone to England and Ireland. There is none but he Whose being I do fear. Find related themes, quotes, symbols, characters, and more. I have to be able to grieve and cry over his death, even though I am the one who will have him killed. There is none but he Whose being I do fear: and, under him, My Genius is rebuked; as, it is said, Macbeth contemplates the reasons why it is a terrible thing to kill Duncan. After Malcolm tests Macduff and finds him sincere, Malcolm reveals that Edward, king of England, has provided a commander (Siward) and ten thousand troops for the invasion of Scotland. For them Ive destroyed my peace of mind. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Our 9x sold out online acting course returns soon. To be thus is nothing; There is none but he And told them to speak to him: Then like prophets. Macduff kills Macbeth and Malcolm becomes Scotlands king. And champion me to the utterance! Summary: Macbeth is afraid that Banquo is such a good and noble person. Only for them; and mine eternal jewel Then, like prophets, they said his descendants would form a line of kings. The witches put a crown on my head and a scepter in my hand, but then said that I would never pass them on. Your email address will not be published. Rather than so, come fate into the list. It is concluded. Your spirits shine through you. Our fears in Banquo Stick deep, and in his royalty of nature Reigns that which would be feared. Initially, Lady Macbeth had been the driving force behind Macbeth's ambition to be king, masking whatever fears she occupied by calling proposed threats bluff as like in the quote 'What need we fear who knows it when none can call our power to account? ' On the battlefield Macbeth kills young Siward, the son of the English commander. Just for Banquos children, Ive handed my soul to the devil Im also so sick of bad luck and being at the mercy of fate that Id risk everything for a chance to either fix my life or end it. Reigns that which would be feard: tis much he dares; that Id risk everything for a chance to either fix my life or end it. Fleancewhose absence is as important to me as his fathersmust also die during that dark hour. Sennetsounded. They havent confessed to cruelly murdering their father, and theyve been telling strange lies to anyone who will listen. They are, my lord. If he had been forgotten,It had been as a gap in our great feast,And all-thing unbecoming. This I made good to you In our last conference, passed in probation with you, How you were borne in hand, how crossed, the instruments, Who wrought with them, and all things else that might To half a soul and to a notion crazed Say, Thus did Banquo., So then, have you thought about what I said? The over-exaggerated passion displayed by Macbeth, as well as the amplified account of his courage, fired up the rising suspicions of Macbeth's true intentions in the incident. Only for them; and mine eternal jewel Till your return at night. My fears about Banquo Are you so gospeled To pray for this good man and for his issue, Whose heavy hand hath bowed you to the grave And beggared yours forever? Deepen your understanding of his works and their cultural influence. ~ LM says "we shall make our griefs and clamor roar upon his death?" Lady Macbeth waits anxiously for Macbeth to return from killing Duncan. 1. 112-114) Out of fear and without thinking straight, Macbeth has slain the grooms of Duncan in order to deprive them of a chance to justify themselves. But hush, no more. Quotes: What are the most important thing Macbeth says in his soliloquy? They placed a childless crown on my head. Banquo is another general in King Duncan's army and Macbeth's best friend. - Shows repeat of events [To the SERVANT] Now go to the door and stay there until I call you. child(ren), offspring, family, descendant, File (v.) Therefore, fear precipitated Macbeth's many redundant murders, which then amplified his downfall. Whos there? Banquo is riding with fleance before the banquet. Rather than let that happen, let fate step up to the plate. Is Fleance going with you? The SERVANT enters along with two MURDERERS. No son of mine will succeed me as king. Go not my horse the better, I must become a borrower of the night For a dark hour or twain. He chid the sisters (F) And bade them speak to him: then prophet-like To be thus is nothing, But to be safely thus. old form: rebukd Fearing that Banquos descendants will, according to the Werd Sisters predictions, take over the kingdom, Macbeth has Banquo killed. Sometimes it is hard to do all the work on your own. Refine any search. And thence it is, That I to your assistance do make love, Masking the business from the common eye For sundry weighty reasons. If it find heaven, must find it out tonight. To make them kings, the seed of Banquo kings! Upon my head they placed a fruitless crown, Which is why being the king means nothing unless he's safe. Following the death of Duncan, Macbeth's subsequent acts of murder were carried out of fear and insecurity for his position as the king of Scotland. They haild him father to a line of kings: Within this hour at most I will advise you where to plant yourselves, Acquaint you with the perfect spy o th time, The moment on t; for t must be done tonight, And something from the palace; always thought That I require a clearness. A gentlewoman who waits on Lady Macbeth has seen her walking in her sleep and has asked a doctors advice. (5. And set me up in hope? Almost as soon as they are gone, Ross and Angus arrive with news that the king has named Macbeth Thane of Cawdor. Macbeth contemplates killing Duncan in order to become king hereafter as the witches have called him. Stick deep; and in his royalty of nature One of which was that his children would one day be Kings. To pray for this good man and for his issue, Whose heavy hand hath bowed you to the grave. Meeting with Macbeth, Macbeth continuously asks Banquo of his travel plans and those of his son. Though they do play a role, the other characters such as Lady Macbeth and even. In conclusion, fear plays a part in one's decisions in every day life. My fears in Banquo are strong. PDFs of modern translations of every Shakespeare play and poem. Our fears in Banquo Stick deep' (3. Far enough that the trip will take me from now until dinner,my lord. Which is why being the king means nothing unless hes safe. 'Tis much he dares, And, to that dauntless temper of his mind, He hath a wisdom that doth guide his valour To act in safety. Im deeply afraid of Banquohe has a natural nobility about him that makes him a threat to me. And with him To leave no rubs nor botches in the work Fleance, his son, that keeps him company, Whose absence is no less material to me Than is his fathers, must embrace the fate Of that dark hour. The original text plus a side-by-side modern translation of. PhDessay is an educational resource where over 1,000,000 free essays are Why? While both men have ambitious thoughts, Banquo is more cautious and does not resort to murder to get what he wants.. with line numbers, TEISimple XML (annotated with MorphAdorner for part-of-speech analysis), as TEISimple XML (annotated with MorphAdorner for part-of-speech analysis). To be King is nothing; cite it. StageMilk Team is made up of professional actors and writers from around the world. We hear our bloody cousins are bestowed In England and in Ireland, not confessing Their cruel parricide, filling their hearers With strange invention. And around him. If there come truth from them. Rather than let that happen, Ill fight fate They placed upon my head an heir less crown This shows us just how paranoid and deathly afraid Macbeth is of Banquo and how desperately he wants to cling to his power. Macbeth is afraid of Banquo. personality, innate disposition, character, regal quality, majestic character, lordliness, not of the same family, of different descent, child(ren), offspring, family, descendant, (usually plural) combat arena at a tournament. This is Macbeth comparing himself to Marc Antony. Hie you to horse. MB and Banquo were both very similar men at the beginning, and now they completely juxtapose one another. database? Do you plant to go riding this afternoon? old form: sticke Ill see you when you return tonight. Acquaint you with the perfect spy o th time, And something from the palace; always thought, To leave no rubs nor botches in the work. It causes him to become paranoid and suspicious of those around him, leading him to make rash decisions and take drastic measures to protect himself. Banquo suspects that Macbeth killed Duncan in order to become king. Macbeth thinks even his guardian angel cant protect him. To be thus is nothing; But to be safely thus.--Our fears in Banquo Stick deep; and in his royalty of nature Reigns that which would be fear'd: 'tis much he dares; And, to that dauntless temper of his mind, He hath a wisdom that doth guide his valour To act in safety.