She thinks someone is watching the house, she hears noises, and she is suspicious of everyone. Blackberry. She races for the bus stop, leaving, Sal heads back toward the university and finds, Sal wishes she werent here, and she feels sad for. JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. If, warning. He spends time with Margaret because she is his connection to his dead wife. When her mother finally comes back, with her illegitimate son, Phoebe expresses her anger toward her mother. on 2-49 accounts, Save 30% Did she regret anything? the only clue Sal has that he cares about his wife. Members will be prompted to log in or create an account to redeem their group membership. Back in the present, Gram asks if this is the end of, hadnt carried her. When Margaret finally leaves, Sal tells Dad everything. She makes up stories about her neighbor, Mrs. Cadaver, believing that she murdered her husband, and about the boy who knocks on her front door, believing that he is a lunatic. I was not sure what it was, but I liked it. Shes cut it. and any corresponding bookmarks? Like Sal, Phoebe must deal with her mother's (temporary) abandonment. Underneath Phoebe's annoying comments (she sometimes sounds like a grown-up) and ornery disposition, she is frightened that her mother is not going to come home. SparkNotes PLUS Members will be prompted to log in or create an account to redeem their group membership. Huzza Huzza (show all 31 items) Gloria . They're like having in-class notes for every discussion!, This is absolutely THE best teacher resource I have ever purchased. Tom Fleet. Margaret's brother is Mr. Birkway, Sal's English teacher. Phoebe becomes obsessed with finding her mother and believes that she has been kidnapped by the lunatic. Ben has a connection to Sal and falls in love with her. Like Phoebe herself, Mrs. Winterbottom is obsessed with propriety. Mrs. Winterbottom is very disturbed when the messages start appearing on the porch and wants to know who is sending them. I knew Phoebe was convinced that her mother was kidnapped because it was impossible for Phoebe to imagine that her mother could leave for any other reason. This quality seems to be both a curse and a blessing in many ways. It was as if they had outgrown her. After Gram dies in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, Gramps has her body flown back to Kentucky. Sal's father, struggling with his own overwhelming sense of loss, tries to deal patiently and compassionately with Sal's anger, confusion, and rebelliousness. Sergeant Bickle works at the police station in Euclid, Ohio, and is Mike's adoptive father. Alex. She lives with her parents and older sister, Prudence, next door to Margaret Cadaver in Euclid, Ohio. Maybe something is bothering her.. You'll also get updates on new titles we publish and the ability to save highlights and notes. This quote is from Chapter 17. Sal's mother wants to find her real self. Course Hero is not sponsored or endorsed by any college or university. Margaret herself suffered a great tragedy when she lost her husband in a car accident. Sharon Creech and Walk Two Moons Background. $18.74/subscription + tax, Save 25% Walk Two Moons Study Guide. Sal sums it up for us: There was something about Phoebe that was like a magnet. She wants to go to Lewiston, Idaho, to visit a cousin she hadn't seen in fifteen years. Her body is flown back to the family land in Bybanks, Kentucky, where she is buried. Sal suggests she leave, and, a worried look as Gram lets out a long cough and says shes happy that, is. Winterbottom with questions. She's is Phoebe's sad and lonely mom who eventually. They didnt say anything, but there was something in that look that suggested I had just said something important. Our, "Sooo much more helpful thanSparkNotes. Prudence is exactly like her name would suggest. Teacher Editions with classroom activities for all 1725 titles we cover. I dont want to go. . May 1, 2023, SNPLUSROCKS20 The original text plus a side-by-side modern translation of. She is scared of "lots and lots of things." If you don't see it, please check your spam folder. One afternoon, while Sal and Phoebe are hanging out alone at the Winterbottom's, someone knocks at the door. I wanted to call Phoebe and say that maybe her mother had gone looking for something, maybe her mother was unhappy, maybe there was nothing Phoebe could do about it. Even though she's totally annoyed by Phoebe, Sal also knows exactly how she feels. She is 13 years old and is a "country girl at heart." Sergeant Bickle listens skeptically but patiently to Phoebe's worries about her mother's disappearance. . Before she was married to Mr. Winterbottom, she had a son, whom she gave up for adoption. She denies that her mother is dead. Dont have an account? However, Sal, who has also experienced the pain and confusion engendered by a mother's inexplicable disappearance, understands Phoebe is using her fantastical tale to hide from the possibility that her mother does not love her, or that her mother's departure had something to do with her. The free trial period is the first 7 days of your subscription. Sal is at Phoebes the following Saturday. Sal tells her story with verve and humor, peppering her sentences with colorful comparisons and exaggerations. The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled. On the bus ride she befriends her seatmate, Margaret Cadaver, and tells her all about Sal, her husband, and their home in Bybanks. He loved Sugar very much. At the outset of Walk Two Moons, Phoebe is both uptight and inconsiderate: she snaps at her mother's expressions of affection, she refuses to eat food at a friend's house, she suspects the people around her are malevolent and dangerous beings. Use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. Salamanca ("Sal") Tree Hiddle is the 13-year-old part-Native American protagonist and narrator. Maybe she didnt want to notice. Ben is Mary Lou Finney's cousin. When Sal and Phoebe come back downstairs. As Sal and Phoebe try to figure out where Mrs. Winterbottom went, Sal also falls in love with a classmate named Ben. She says that nothing happened; Prudence tells Phoebe and Mr. Winterbottom that, gets home. Mary Lou Finney. He has had the same car for fifteen years. Works (1) . They are polite and formal with each other. She believes what she believes with her whole heart, and no one can change her mind. If I could toss rocks like you can toss rocks, Id have plonked them both in the back of the head. Then, she touches, When a classmate comments on Phoebes wrinkled blouse at school, Phoebe says, Later in the morning, Christy and Megan ask if. Margaret helped Sal's father find a job selling farm machinery in order that he could live in Euclid, away from his farm. barely stay on the road. Margaret was the only survivor of the crash. You may cancel your subscription on your Subscription and Billing page or contact Customer Support at custserv@bn.com. Sal's classmate and Ben's cousin. Phoebe's and Prudence's rude and dismissive behavior causes Sal to remember an afternoon shortly before her mother left when she snapped . In her story, Sal goes to. And Sal, too, helps Phoebe come to terms with some of the more unsavory facts of her life. Phoebe thinks her mother doesn't need her and is angry when her mother returns home and announces that Mike Bickle is the son she had before she married Phoebe's father. Sal's English teacher and Margaret Cadaver's brother. Mrs. Cadaver. I wondered if this was how it had been with my mother. Course Hero, "Walk Two Moons Study Guide," August 23, 2017, accessed May 1, 2023, https://www.coursehero.com/lit/Walk-Two-Moons/. Ironically, his sweetness and gentleness often saddened Sal's mother, making her feel thoughtless and selfish in comparison. Did you notice her hair? Phoebe is Sal's uptight best friend in Euclid. And the lunatic, do you know what he did when she spit? And hey, what else are friends for? I had a funny feeling that Mrs. Winterbottom did not actually like all this baking and cleaning and laundry and shopping, and Im not quite sure why I had that feeling because if you just listened to the words she said, it sounded as if she was Mrs. Supreme Housewife. Just then, she came in from the back porch. Sal is drawn to Phoebe from day one in Euclid, and, though it takes Phoebe a while to speak to her, Phoebe is drawn to Sal, too. It was a friendly sort of confusion, and it was like that at the Finneys [] Maybe this is what my mother had wanted, I thought. Phoebe Winterbottom Sal's best friend is a small, nervous girl with a propensity to spin tall tales from the inconsequential events of her everyday life. Related people/characters. He is always drawing cartoons, and he becomes Sal's love interest. Phoebe starts to say something about, mattress, and she insists that Sal should make some sacrifices for her guest. Phoebe, who lives next door to Margaret Cadaver, is a high-strung girl obsessed with propriety and order. This is a novel in which the main character takes on a quest, endures suffering and must make a sacrifice, but emerges, often mentally or spiritually, triumphant. I didnt mean anything by it, but that was one of the last memories she had of me, and I wished I could take it back. 23 Aug. 2017. . And do you know what else she did? Its short. Sal reaches her limit when Phoebe spends the night at Sal's house and behaves like an absolute pill, criticizing everything about Sal's room and Sal's life. Ben lives with his cousin Mary Lou because his mother is not well. Phoebe seems super mature and wise, but really, she's just as much a thirteen-year-old girl as Sal is. PDF downloads of all 1725 LitCharts literature guides, and of every new one we publish. Did you know you can highlight text to take a note? Mrs. Finney is Mary Lou Finney's mother. Sugar (born Chanhassan) is Sal's beloved deceased mother. Margaret lives in a small house in Euclid, Ohio. Sal was upset when Moody Blue started rejecting her puppies when they were six weeks old; her mother explained that Moody Blue was weaning the pups so that they'd be able to survive on their own. 2016-01-19 20:28:17. Have study documents to share about Walk Two Moons? Sal relates Phoebe's story and the story of her budding romance with Ben while on a cross-country road trip with Gram and Gramps. (one code per order). I wondered why it was so easy for me to see that Phoebes mother was worried and miserable, but Phoebe couldnt see itor if she could, she was ignoring it. or they are lunatics. Complete your free account to access notes and highlights. He is stiff, formal, and very concerned with being proper and respectable. Phoebe is Sal's uptight best friend in Euclid. Sal says that even though Phoebe doesnt believe, Sal heads home and remembers the day Phoebe showed her items that remind her of, cares about his wife. She attributed her love of nature to her Indian heritage. He sees Sugar everywhere; his memories and sadness are overwhelming. And the lunatic, do you know what he did when she spit? Mrs. Partridge, despite her blindness, can guess people's ages by feeling their faces. Sal sees, Mrs. Partridge asks who Sal has with her and then asks to feel, As he pulls back onto the freeway, Gram asks Sal to continue her story about, Gramps reminds Sal that she was just about to tell them what, happy for Mrs. Winterbottom when the woman suggests shell go back to work, now that, Once Gramps is on the right road, Gram asks Sal to continue her story about. In the beginning, Sal tells us that, "Mr. Winterbottom was playing the role of Father, with. Hence, her nickname "Sugar." Had I been drawing away from my own mother? Phoebe loves her father and thinks he is perfect. Mr. Birkway pulls Sal out of her reverie by assigning, Sal is preoccupied as she walks home with. They become close friends. Tom Fleet is a teenage boy who tries to intimidate and rob Gramps when he, Sal, and Gram stop to swim in the Missouri River. And just like Phoebe, who had waved her mothers sweater in front of her father, I had brought a chicken in from the coop: Would Mom leave her favorite chicken? I demanded. Thats what, body out the window. Phoebe doesnt respond and instead pesters Mr. Winterbottom with questions about, since it never got to breathe? Phoebe Winterbottom is Sal's 13-year-old friend and neighbor in Euclid, Ohio, and the subject of the long story that Sal tells her grandparents during their road trip. Major Themes. She is in a secret club with her best friend Christy, and her father is a traveling businessman. Alex is a classmate of Sal's at the school she attends in Euclid, Ohio. Course Hero. in-depth analysis of Sal Complete your free account to request a guide. 1 May 2023. Like Sal, Ben is suffering. . Why do you keep asking me? I dont know why I did that. She makes up stories about her neighbor, Mrs. Cadaver, believing that she murdered her husband, and about the boy who knocks on her front door, believing that he is a lunatic. Was I becoming like that? When Mrs. Winterbottom finally returns home to her family she brings her son, Mike Bickle, with her. You'll also receive an email with the link. We're sorry, SparkNotes Plus isn't available in your country. Of course Sal feels sorry for Phoebe and empathizes with how much she misses her mother, but that can only go so far. She has wild red hair and gray eyes. LitCharts Teacher Editions. Maybe he hated me for a while. Discount, Discount Code She has tried to be perfect and respectable but feels as if she has failed, and she is prepared for her husband to reject her. Gramps and Gram married and lived in an unwavering spirit of love and joyfulness, despite the fact that Sal's father is their only son, of four, who lived to adulthood. He does things like shovel his parents' driveway when it snows, he buys small, thoughtful gifts for his wife and daughter, and he never seems to get angry. Mr. and, Mr. Winterbottom works in an office, while, and windows before she and Sal leave, just in case. Sal is confused, especially since, signs of lunacy. Sal doesnt, so Phoebe opens the door again. stay with her after school, and to ask Dad if she can stay for dinner. Mrs. Winterbottom wants to stop feeling so lonely. Sal's father's parents. Sal sees herself in Phoebe, which forces her to come to terms with a lot of things she's been pushing aside. All through dinner, I kept thinking of Bybanks, and what it was like when we went to my grandparents house for dinner. She has cut her hair and has new, stylish clothes. Best Answer. He is Mrs. Partridge's son and Mrs. Cadaver's twin brother. Prudence Winterbottom. Related people/characters. Only instead of coping with it, she convinces herself that her mother has been abducted, and never considers the possibility that her mother might have left willingly. (2017, August 23). When Gram was young her wild spirit and her beauty attracted Gramps. He asks to speak with Mrs. Winterbottom. Elderly and blind, she is Margaret Cadaver and Mr. Birkway's mother; she is the person who leaves the messages on Phoebe's front porch. Detailed explanations, analysis, and citation info for every important quote on LitCharts. She decides to go on a trip to Lewiston, Idaho, to discover who she is besides a wife and mother. By signing up you agree to our terms and privacy policy. I knew Phoebe was convinced that her mother was kidnapped because it was impossible for Phoebe to imagine that her mother could leave for any other reason. Youve successfully purchased a group discount. before [she] became a wife and mother." Which character traits best describe Phoebe Winterbottom? Salamanca "Sal" Tree Hiddle (speaker), Mrs. Winterbottom, Mr. Winterbottom, Phoebe Winterbottom, Momma/Chanhassen "Sugar" Hiddle Related Themes: Page Number and Citation: 27 Cite this Quote Explanation and Analysis: Unlock with LitCharts A + Just then, she came in from the back porch. During the brief conversation, she finds out his name is Mike and he goes to. I wondered if this was how my father felt when I threw all those temper tantrums. TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION AND AVOID BEING CHARGED, YOU MUST CANCEL BEFORE THE END OF THE FREE TRIAL PERIOD. Ha, he said. to Mr. Birkway, Mr. Cummings just liked to capitalize the last letter of the title. Thats not entirely true, as Phoebe had to get used to a brother and, her. She looked as if shed been crying. Ben Finney is Sal's classmate at the school she attends in Euclid, Ohio, and the cousin of Sal's friend Mary Lou Finney, whose family he's currently living with. They sat there on the bench having a gay old time. Throughout their travels, Sal regales her grandparents with the details of Phoebe Winterbottom's life, how a strange young man showed up on Phoebe's doorstep and Phoebe was sure he was a lunatic meant to kill them. Remembering, Would not have made it through AP Literature without the printable PDFs. She is an eccentric but lovable old woman who plays a role in Phoebe's melodrama. She's is Phoebe's sad and lonely mom who eventually leaves her family for a time. Phoebe Winterbottom is a fictional character . More specifically, she's impressed by Sal's bravery, which is a bit surprising when you consider the fact that, "Phoebe had a way of sounding like a grown-up sometimes" (4.21). in-depth analysis of Sal's mother Sugar becomes sad and feels that she will never be as good as her husband. Moody Blue is a dog owned by Sal and her parents in Bybanks, Kentucky. Her solution is to go away. I felt betrayed, but I didnt know why. Phoebe wants to call the police, since the lunatic might have kidnapped, and Momma sitting in front of the sugar maple in Bybanks. Like her mother, she has long black hair and is proud of her Seneca Indian heritage. want to hear anything he has to say about Margaretand she realizes she sounds like, knife in his belt, and Gramps tells Sal and Gram to get behind him. Use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. Copy. When Sal goes to Lewiston, Idaho, alone, she stops at an overlook. Sometimes it can end up there. (including. Mr. Birkway explains that Mrs. Cadaver is his sister, and that her husband is dead. Phoebe Winterbottom Phoebe Winterbottom has a wild imagination and tends to believe that people are either good or evil. Mr. and Mrs. Finney are not ashamed of having a messy house or of acting unconventionally. Phoebe loves to judge other people, and she's darn good at it. Grandfather Pickford is Sal's maternal grandfather. And we can't really blame her for it. Get the eBook on Amazon to study offline. John Hiddle is Sal's father, Sugar's husband, and the only surviving son of Gram and Gramps. Wed love to have you back! Tommy Finney. By signing up you agree to our terms and privacy policy. Phoebe Winterbottom Phoebe is Sal's new best friend in Euclid. . I started wondering if the birds of sadness had built their next in Mrs. Cadavers hair afterward, and if so, how she got rid of them. Huzza Huzza (show all 31 items) Gloria . It was drizzling outside, and I was cleaning my desk, and I just did not feel like going. Her family is uninterested in her and seems indifferent to her interest in them, which she expresses by performing her housekeeping and cooking duties perfectly. Blackberry. Sal is attracted to Phoebe "like a magnet." (Best) Total Sweetie First off, Phoebe was a real sweetheart. Her husband was killed and her mother lost her sight when a drunk driver hit Margaret's husband's car. Several times that day, my mother asked me if I wanted to walk up in the fields with her. Gramps stays by his wife's side until she dies, even though she is unconscious. Purchasing Mr. Winterbottom is Phoebe Winterbottom's father. Ben is lonely. She breaks down and begs her husband's forgiveness. She wants someone to blame for her mother's abandonment of her, but her father is too good and her mother is a part of her. Alex. 1 May 2023. Sal takes a road trip with her grandparents to the town in Idaho where her mother died, and she entertains her grandparents with the story of Phoebe Winterbottom during the ride. She has trouble knowing what to feel without her mother there to provide an example. .". Nothing matters. When she watches her friend Phoebe Winterbottom go through her own mother's disappearance, Sal is empathetic and uses the experience to better understand her own mother's need to leave her family for a time. Sal also learns to trust Phoebe. Mrs. Winterbottom is clearly unhappy in her role as devoted wife and mother. I wanted to call Phoebe and say that maybe her mother had gone looking for something, maybe her mother was unhappy . People/Characters: Phoebe Winterbottom. Gram consented to marry Gramps after she heard how well he treated Sadie. Although they seem very different in character, they are similar in that they both experience their mothers leaving them and are both trying hard to find a way of dealing with that. Tommy Finney is the rowdy brother of Mary Lou Finney, Sal's classmate and friend in Euclid, Ohio. She learns to trust Ben over time and eventually falls in love with him. 13 years old, round face, big sky-blue eyes, curly yellow hair, powerful imagination. Get the eBook on Amazon to study offline. He laughed. Sal adores the memory of her beautiful, gentle mother and throughout the novel struggles to come to terms with the events and forces that led up to her mother's departure. Gram and Gramps are Sal's father's parents from Kentucky. I didnt care how upset she was about her mother, I really hated her, and I wanted her to leave. Phoebe reminds Prudence that, Over dinner, Mr. Winterbottom says he hasnt heard from, finish her homework. Phoebe Winterbottom has a wild imagination and tends to believe that people are either good or evil. This imagination tends to get her into trouble, but it is also what makes her so totally loveable. Youve successfully purchased a group discount. She flinched. It was as if they had outgrown her. They are prim and proper people who never laugh. 2023 Shmoop University Inc | All Rights Reserved | Privacy | Legal. What I started doing was remembering the day before my mother left. They give her the opportunity to "walk in [her] mother's moccasins." Phoebe befriends Sal and, together, they investigate the "kidnapping" of Phoebe's mother. Course Hero. I didnt care how upset she was about her mother, I really hated her, and I wanted her to leave. PDF downloads of all 1725 LitCharts literature guides, and of every new one we publish. In the middle of talking, she leaned over and spit on the grass. Sergeant Bickle. First, Phoebe finds out that she has a half brother, that happened to be "the lunatic". She is an anxious woman who likes to keep the doors and windows locked. By entering your email address you agree to receive emails from SparkNotes and verify that you are over the age of 13. Sal accomplishes her goal and spends the morning of the birthday in the graveyard where her mother is buried. Teachers and parents! | But underneath all the uptight attitudes and crazy stories, Phoebe is dealing with some much deeper stuff. After her mother leaves her, Sal is afraid other people she cares about will leave also. his favorite clothes are the flannel shirts and blue jeans that he has had for twenty years." Sugar's parents are the Pickfords. Gram and Gramps take Sal on a road trip to Lewiston, Idaho. After a miscarriage, Sugar took a bus trip alone to Idaho to find out who she really is, and died in a wreck near Lewiston, Idaho. They sat there on the bench having a gay old time. What are character traits about Phoebe Winterbottom? I had already noticed how tense Phoebes whole family seemed, how tidy, how respectable, how thumpingly stiff. In the end, the other Winterbottoms accept Mrs. Winterbottom and her son, Phoebe and Prudence's half-brother, Mike. for a group? Once Sal hears her ask her daughter Prudence whether Prudence thinks she lives "a tiny life." Sometimes it can end up there. Mr. Winterbottom. Course Hero, Inc. As a reminder, you may only use Course Hero content for your own personal use and may not copy, distribute, or otherwise exploit it for any other purpose. Ben's picture is identical to Sal's. can say anything in response, Phoebe launches into a story about a time when she. August 23, 2017. As, Meanwhile, Sal notices something odd happen to. They became friends and corresponded with each other. She is quiet and keeps to herself most of the time. Course Hero. She prays to trees (because there is always a tree close by), and she has a "singing" tree on the farm. Please wait while we process your payment. Phoebe is unappreciative of her attentive mother, Mrs. Winterbottom, until Mrs. Winterbottom suddenly disappears without explanation. Sal remembers them as having frowning, sour faces. Phoebe's older sister. She loves this chicken., What I really meant was, How can she not come back to me? Beth Ann. The characters in this story all have big hopes and dreams. "My students can't get enough of your charts and their results have gone through the roof." Phoebe convinces herself and Sal that her next-door neighbor, Mrs. Cadaver, is really an axe-murderer who chopped up her husband long ago and buried him in her backyard. The original text plus a side-by-side modern translation of. I dont want to go. PDFs of modern translations of every Shakespeare play and poem. You'll also receive an email with the link. . Dennis Finney is the rowdy brother of Mary Lou Finney, Sal's friend and classmate in Euclid, Ohio. The sheriff in Lewiston, Idaho, is waiting for Sal when she climbs back up out of the gorge where her mother's bus wrecked. Ben likes Sal. Definition 1 / 55 Is usually inexperienced and gullible May have a strange, wise being as a teacher May be born and raised in a rural setting away from cities May have an origin that is mysterious or may lose his parents at a young age and be raised by animals, a wise guardian, or another adult Click the card to flip Flashcards Learn Test Match It was drizzling outside, and I was cleaning my desk, and I just did not feel like going. Prudence Winterbottom is Phoebe Winterbottom's 17-year-old sister. At daybreak, Sal calls, what they wrote. Youre jumpy, too, Free Bee.. Sometimes she pretends to be brave when that is what people expect of her, even if she is scared to death. But Sal also thinks that people cant just sit in safety, like Phoebe and, Then, Sal tells the sheriff that she learned all this on the day that, if Momma wanted more children because she wanted more Sals. Margaret is a nurse. Phoebe, using a pretend name, calls Sergeant Bickle at his home to learn where she might find this mysterious boy. $24.99 If you don't see it, please check your spam folder. 20% They plan to track down the lunatic and, hopefully, find, a bench, holding hands. Sugar is buried in a cemetery in Lewiston, Idaho. She speaks to a man at the overlook who points out the wreckage of the bus belowthe bus that Sal's mother died on. Get Annual Plans at a discount when you buy 2 or more! Mary Lou's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Finney are the loving and tolerant parents of a lively and unruly household. As a child Sal was extremely close to her mother and shared her mother's love of nature, which her mother attributed to their partial Native American heritage. Sal's mother abandoned her by leaving and then dying. part of the story before she goes to bed. Momma but realizes she can tell her grandparents an extensively strange story about her friend, During that first visit to Margaret Cadavers, Sal sees, That week, Dad and Sal eat dinner three times at Margarets house. He realizes his mistake only when his sister becomes implicated in the gossipy journal entries. Contact us You'll be billed after your free trial ends. I hated her that day. He works in an office and doesn't seem to love his wife until she leaves. Shes watched Phoebe and Prudence shrink away from. And, in a strange way, she was like another version of meshe acted out the way I sometimes felt. Was I becoming like that? For the first time, it occurred to me that maybe my mothers leaving had nothing whatsoever to do with me. Phoebe says, Sal invites Phoebe to spend the weekend with her. Continue to start your free trial. Mrs. Winterbottom never felt able to tell her husband that, before they met, she had borne a son and had him adopted. Phoebe and her family live next door to Margaret Cadaver, and Phoebe has a wild imaginationso she believes Margaret is a murderer, or a witch, or otherwise nefarious. A spontaneous and joyful woman closely attuned to the everyday beauty of the outdoors, Sal's mother grew increasingly conflicted by her roles as a housewife and mother. From what I could gather, Mr. Winterbottom worked in an office, creating road maps. She has low self-esteem and always feels as though she is not good enough. Maybe he hated me for a while. She was a classmate of Sal's. Wiki User. In the story, Sal is sitting around the table with the Winterbottoms. When I told this part to Gram and Gramps, Gramps said, You mean it had nothing to do with Peeby? They looked at each other. She's got an imagination the size of Antarctica. Please wait while we process your payment. They do not live far from their son's farm. "Walk Two Moons Study Guide." She makes up stories about her neighbor, Mrs. Cadaver, believing that she murdered her husband, and about the boy who knocks on her front door, believing that he is a lunatic. Read an There were always tons of peoplerelatives and neighborsand lots of confusion. I was drawn to her. The woman kisses the man on the cheekand Sal realizes it's, she keeps talking and praying, they might have a chance. Ben names the chicken Blackberry after hearing Mr. Birkway read aloud Sal's description of her "blackberry kisses" on trees.