KIBB flips to KCMG, thus forcing KPWR to drop all the Rhythmic oldie titles. Select your genre, 10+ BEST 90s DJs And Where They Are Now (2023 UPDATED), 5+ BEST Online Algoriddim Djay Lessons and Courses in 2023, 20+ Best Streaming Services For DJs to Subscribe in 2023, 15+ Best Websites + Pools for DJs to Download Music in 2023, 25+ Ways DJs Make Money Online (Twitch, YouTube) + Mixtapes, 10+ BEST DJ Controllers With Motorized Platters in 2023, 12+ BEST Websites To Get Acapella (DJs, Music Producers) in 2023, 15+ BEST DJs of All Time (Techno, Hip Hop, EDM) in 2023, How Did DJ Tira Become Famous + Net Worth (2023 UPDATED), 8 Best Platforms to Download DJ Music In 2023, 20+ BEST Online Cakewalk by Bandlab Lessons and Courses in 2023, 60+ Best Rock Bands of the 90s (Alternative, Heavy Metal, Christian), 15+ Best Laser Lights For Parties, Clubs And DJs, 5+ BEST Turkish Musical Instruments + How They Are Played, 43 Top 90s Dance Songs You Can Still Listen in 2023, 10 Top Android + iOS Apps to Find And Identify Songs. Ariana Grande is woman, hear her roar. Kiss had gone more mainstream, wed started to make inroads in their #s, and Barry Mayo had been summoned back to the fold all those years later to shore things up on the homefront. But they still retain Powertools. The WHYT/WDFX battle was fun to listen to (for this non-industry type). But it wasnt on ny list because, as mentioned above, I saw it as a little too one-sidedan eventual study in what not to do in a similar situation (dont respond until the younger audience is gone, then overreact in a way that antagonizes the people who had stayed). [12][13][14] The station continues to report to Mediabase and BDS as rhythmic contemporary, though the station has begun to lean more urban to take on KRRL. Fatboy Slim came into popularity in the 1980s and helped to popularise the big beat genre in the 1990s. Seller has the most incredible beat I have ever heard. The discography of Carl Cox in the 1990s consisted of two audio albums and nine singles. SBS announced that KXOL would move to another transmitter site a month later, and both parties settled the dispute sometime after. Lin put Q92 on in Summer 83. I was looking for WSNY vs WNCI in the early 80s. We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. There was also KAUM and KILT-AM, both in their last year as Top 40. They include "Sinister (The Influence Remix)," released in 1993, "Your Love Is Yours," and "Dreams Of Heaven," also released in 1993. . Tom Mitchell posted his battles in the 80s in Rochester while forgetting that WCMF destroyed WMJQ when they went Rock 40 through some very dirty tricks but thats another story(hint: we sabataged there entire contesting scheme weeks before they flipped). Big Boy moves to Afternoons, Power celebrates 10 years as LA's Party Station 15. All of which got me thinking, of course, of other format battles that were particularly influential for me. Ive heard that Nashville had an interesting three-way CHR war in 1984 with Kiss 96, Kicks 104, and Y-107. The program served as a launching pad for both co-host/sidekicks Tattoo, who left the station in 2010,[21] and Luscious Liz known as Liz Hernandez, who departed on August 22, 2011 to pursue a television career with E! 16. The format is a crossover mix of reggaeton, dancehall, R&B, and hip hop targeting a bilingual audience. Great column. WJLB and WDRQ was one of my all-time favorites especially when it got down to best friends James Alexander and Steve Harris with King James Im a veteran of 3 of the battles you mentioned. Several major medium markets had some great AM Top 40 battles in the early 70s. Chart positions. [6], KPWR picked up additional competition in May 2005 when KXOL-FM dropped its Spanish adult contemporary format for a Hispanic rhythmic, or hurban, format known as "Latino 96.3". For a few years, both stations sounded like a throwback to Motor City CHR of 15 years earlier (not surprisingly since former CKLW PD Bill Hennes was involved), each fighting to get the new novelty/reaction record on first. KWST eventually evolved into KMGG, "Magic 106", playing upbeat adult contemporary music beginning in mid-1982. His mixes and compilations in the 1990s include "Grooverider Presents: The Prototype Years," released in 1997. WAMO (Hot 106 J.J. Stone at night where i get my JJ from) WBZZ B94 (The Real Deal Mike Neal - aaaaaannnnd were offf (signature Hot 8 at 8 kickoff) WMXP ( D.C. Taylor at Night yeidy yeidyguess whats down my pants) 92 to Jan 1, 1993 (the day that Mix Jamz died and became K-Garth 100 point 7) 1986-WCBSFM vs. WNSR (Mix 105) when WNSR came on the scene, they were practically nose-to-nose in terms of their playlist if nothing else, NSR was shooting for the same demo that WCBSFM wasbut one BIG difference though personality radio STILL ruled back then, and WCBSFM had the EDGE thereadvantage 101FM!! In the fall of 2008, the show began to air on KPWR's sister station WQHT but would drop the show in July 2009 due to low ratings. So here are ten great format battles some well-known, many less so. Another great read as always Sean. (The war finally ended when WDFX went more adult and, as I remember, decided to let WHYT have Your Mamas On Crack Rock by Disco Rick & the Dogs to itself.). The albums were "At The End Of TheCliche," released in 1996, and "Phuture 2000," released in 1999. If we slide back to the mid to late 70s, Memphis had an epic Top 40 AM battle between Plough Broadcastings WMPS 680 and RKOs 56 WHBQ. "Mysteries of Funk" was released in 1998. "Big Boy's Neighborhood"[20] featured Big Boy with Rikki Martinez, Krystal Bee, and Louie G. serving as co-hosts/sidekicks, serving up an eclectic mix of music, pop culture, celebrity interviews, and comedy segments. KPWR-HD1 is a digital simulcast of the analog signal. During the 80s some name brand programmers came thru town, including Jay Stevens, Charlie Lake, Cat Collins who was my MD, and JJ Rice who was my intern, later graduating to weekend syndication board op! Mid 80s Top 40s WAEB-FM (B104) vs. WQQQ (Q100)Who did GM Jim Shea REALLY work for? It was the fall of 1989 into winter of 1990. This Kiss promoitonal cards vs. the BLS promotional cardsthe BLS mixers vs Shep Pettibone, Red Alert and the Kiss Master Mixers.Frankie Crocker somehow getting the sound people to look the other way so that he could take the stage at what was supposed to be a Kiss sponsored and hosted concert. "Skin on Skin," "Down to Earth," and "If I Could Fly" was released in 1996. The morning show with Scott Spezzano was the best. Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z debuted at No. CHUM (Rock 40, like WLS Chicago, but maybe even better in 1981) and CFTR (more mainstream and doing the then-mind-blowing Commercial Free Sundays) get the attention. KPWR (105.9 FM) branded as Power 106 is a commercial radio station in Los Angeles, California, broadcasting to the Greater Los Angeles area. Done. To make a long story short, WMMR moved from 3 share (12+) to an 11 share (again, 12+) leaving the other two stations with crumbs. Sasha released the "Global Underworld 009: San Francisco" while John Digweed released the "Global Underworld 006: Sidney." The world of DJing was growing in bounds and leaps, and who were to shine in this period? KPWR is owned and operated by Meruelo Groupand airs a Rhythmic Hot ACformat. top 40 battle KSFM KWOD and KROY In 1996, Sasha and Digweed released another double CD called "Nothern Exposure" on 'Ministry of Sound.' In 1986 you had Power 96 with Bill Tanner yet again killing Y-100 this time (I did nights there with an all star line up from Tanner to Don Cox). Im surprised Milwaukee in the early 80s wasnt mentioned. He also took home the Breakthrough Video Award, the Best Direction award, and the Best Choreography awards. He is an English Dj specializing in Drum and bass, Electronic dance music, Dance/Electronic, Pop, and Electronica. More of their albums include "Northern Exposure: Expeditions," Digweed's "GU 014: Hong Kong," and Sasha's "GU 013: Ibiza.". Wow. emerging the victor in the end. Most of my 90s dance music radio mixes were formerly on my SoundCloud channel under the same user name (without quotes) "euretrodance90radiomixes" I will be gradually adding to this MixCloud channel some of my dance music mixes that I recorded during the 80s, 90s early 2000s from various radio stations in the USA, Canada, London, Paris and from . My Boo by Ghost Town DJ's & C'mom & Ride It(The Train) Quad City DJs also got a lot of airplay on Power 106 & 92.3 The Beat also in 1995-96. [31], On August 29, 2008, Emmis announced a programming partnership with WorldBand Media, using KPWR's HD3 signal to produce programming for the South Asian communities in three major cities including Los Angeles. He was the first award recipient of the 'No 1 DJ in the World' Award by DJ Magazine. But like Dan Vallie, Id like nothing better than to talk into the night at a hotel lobby coffee shop about the great radio battles. This show was . He released the live albums"Global Underground 004" in 1997 and "Global Underground 007" in 1998. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'gemtracks_com-leader-4','ezslot_18',194,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-gemtracks_com-leader-4-0');His singles include "Sunrise" and "Joy And Heartbreak" in 1990, "I Can't Take Your Love" in 1993, "The Single" in 1994.He released the singles "Reach Up (Papa's Got A Brand New Pig Bag)," "Sun," "Moon," "Not Over Yet," "I Want to Live," and "Dreams" in 1995. * The list is limited to markets that I lived in, visited regularly, or at least had a regular aircheck connection in. CFTR vs. In 1993, he released the album "Universe of Love." Some other two decade duels included WKY and KOMA in OKC, WDGY and KDWB in Minneapolis/St. Since the sale, it has recovered in terms of ratings and audiences. 13" in 1996, and "Cream Separates" in 1997. We used to drive up to Detroit on Fridays just to hear the battle. Mastering is important because it makes your song sound perfect on all devices in the car, your phone speaker and even on Spotify. He also released dubnobasswithmyheadman" in 1994 and "Second Toughest in the Infants" and "Beaucoup Fish" in the years 1996 and 1999 in the techno band Underworld. Wamo was the heritage Urban (until Summer 2009) with then 72 THousand watts at 105.9 FM. [32] This content began airing in mid-October 2008, and by mid-2009 moved to HD2, replacing Power Dos. Ive started off the comments section with the help of KSCS Dallas APD/MD Chris Huff, Hispanic Market Weklys Adam Jacobson, and Hz So Good author Rich Appel. B97 If you're finding this article interesting, you may want to consider reading about 17+ BEST 90s R&B Songs Ever Released too. Proving hispanics would listen to R&B/POP songs was a real test to the history in the market. The awards include the 'Number one DJ in the world' award in 1991. On August 17, 2006, KPWR's country music sister station KZLA flipped directions to rhythmic adult contemporary as "Movin' 93.9". Thanks for a great article, Ill check in in another 10 years . Some of the best jocks in the country were on those three stations at the time they did battle. WMET (Metromedia) vs. WLUP (Heftel) Chicago. Lest we forget: WMMS/Cleveland defeated all comers for over a decade 1975-1986. I'm very satisfied! He got nominated for the British Male Solo Artist Award and the British Single of the year award in 1999. Going back a little further KRLA & KFWB. From 1994 to 1997, Groove rider hosted a radio show on Kiss 100 before moving to BBC Radio 1 in 1998. Sins of omission are inevitable here, and apologized for in advance; (I didnt try to name every great jock who came through a station, for instance.) A bit saddened to hear WAMO to go the route of many urbans of this past decade that were locally owned and operated. He is one of the originators of the drum and bass genre. I-95 vs. Y-100.I-95 is a station I grew up with in Elementary School and for the 5 years it was on the air, got an unbelievable amount of traction in Miami..Not to mention it broke alot of musicFreestyle, Madonna, Miami Sound Machine, wowThe memories..I was fortunate to do a brief P/T stint on air during its last months as Zeta in 2004-2005. The last song played on Eagle 106 was "I Will Remember You" by Amy Grant. WIBG could never catch up and pass the newcomer, no matter how hard they tried. * KZZP, KKFR (Power 92) and KOY-FM (Y95) Phoenix from the same time; I put CHR 98PXY on the air in Summer of 82. Jay Thomas was hired as the host of "The Power 106 Morning Zoo". As I recall, Levine and 95X stole 94 Rocks copy at the Greyhound Bus pickup location, and Castle drove like mad to Rochester to get a copy from CMF, I think.Both stations wound up premiering it at midnight! * WNBC (The Next One) going after WABC, late 70s-early 80s; WFLZ vs. Q105 is definitely the most top of mind radio battle. After the Twin Cities, I moved to the Pacific Northwest to do evenings, then middays at KNBQ. My most familiar memory of the time was the personalities that had a life of their own. During fall 1997, KPWR hired a former security guard named Big Boy to replace the duo. WRBQ (Q105) Tampas response to Power Pig WFLZ, in retrospect, looks pretty typical a few months of refusing to budge followed by a period of overreaction. The new KFMK was an unusual mix of CHR and Urban AC. * It wasnt my intent, but the list here ends up leaning heavily on CHR, Urban (or something in between). WFIL-WIBG in the late 60s. Great topic my faves KCBQ & KGB in San Diego and KKDJ, K100 and KHJ Los Angeles. The sale reunited KPWR with the 93.9 frequency under common ownership for the first time since 2012. Use our submission service to send your songs to Spotify playlists, magazines and even record labels! To me, they represent a key element in building teams to achieve goals: Beating a clear, worthy opponent. * KKBQ (93Q), KRBE, and KNRJ (Energy 96.5) in the late 80s when Houston became an Alternative hotbed and stations were battling to be first with the new Depeche Mode record (or even the new song by Celebrate The Nun); Gemtracks is a marketplace for original beats and instrumental backing tracks you can use for your own songs. Crocker was the definition of swagger25 years before it became a buzzwordbut WKTU had its own. Jeff Hedges, who was at Washingtons WWDC-FM in the 80s, told me years later how much he missed rising each morning and monitoring our station (WCXR) to see what new promotional or programming element we had changed overnight. He was born in July 1962. Performance & security by Cloudflare. He has provided over 100 remixes for many artists such as Madonna, Britney Spears, and Michael Jackson. Nick Vee (Power 106) 53 Hr Mix Weekendadded 2 years ago; DJ Rawn - The Old School Show (Aquanet Set) Power 106added 2 years ago; Ask any one at The Mighty Met (such as Bob Stroud now at The Drive) How many days it took us to blow up their Loop-Songs promotion. Sasha and John Digweed's discography includes the triple CD mix collection that contained many dance hits, original productions, and remixes that they had made themselves. If anybody wants to trade, let me know Find a mixing engineer to combine your beat and vocals so they "sit" together. Urban KMJQ (Majic 102)itself a dynasty at that timeplayed Ride Like the Wind by Christopher Cross. * KMJK (Majic 107) vs. KKRZ (Z100) Portland, Ore., around 1984; Dont Forget About WEBN, Who They Were Battled Against Th Original 96 Rock, As Well Q102 In The 80s! [34], KPWR logo from 1986 to 1993 (199293 edition), Coordinates: .mw-parser-output .geo-default,.mw-parser-output .geo-dms,.mw-parser-output .geo-dec{display:inline}.mw-parser-output .geo-nondefault,.mw-parser-output .geo-multi-punct{display:none}.mw-parser-output .longitude,.mw-parser-output .latitude{white-space:nowrap}341337N 1180405W / 34.227N 118.068W / 34.227; -118.068. I think if each of us made our own top ten it would vary a bit but those you mention would make up the bulk of the great top forty battles. I spent time with family in Phoenix several times during the late 80s- those KZZP, KOY-FM, and KKFR battles were indeed a fun listen. The Principal of the Year contest that was the spring promotion just captured the radio market and community! During the short time Joey Reynolds was WHYTs morning host in 1984, he poked a lot of fun at 95.5 (which he called Xerox FM referring to their supposedly copying 96.3s format) and and Dick Purtan. Boston 1967. Dont know if well ever see those kind of Radio Wars again, but they surely brought out the best in us all. FILs superior signal and lower frequency made it the station of choice. 3) WBLS vs. WKTU (and WXLO) New York in late 80 Disco 92 KTU barely had time to enjoy its stunning market upset of 1978-79 when Frankie Crocker came back to WBLS and cemented its what will they play next reputation. WRQX vs. WAVA Washington, D.C. KMET vs. KLOS Los Angeles But I only heard them at Conclave time; Favorited by17. 8) WQUE (Q93) vs. WYLD New Orleans in the late 80s When a Churban station came to town in that era, the heritage Urban FM didnt always recover. * WIOQ vs. WOGL during Phillys oldies explosion of 1987-88; I enjoyed every moment of grief we gave Elroy! The mother of them all is WYSP/WMMR in Philly. "Tribal Jedi," released in 1996, and "Dr. Funk," which was released in 1999 and was produced by Edel UK Records in conjunction with Worldwide Ultimatum Records. JJ. [7] KXOL would eventually exit the format on May 16, 2014 to return to Spanish AC as "Mega 96.3" after nine years and moderate to underperformed ratings.[8]. 1987-CBSFM vs WNBC-one LAST, DESPERATE attempt by 66 W-N-B-C to knock CBSFM off its perch by doing a Time Machine format on the weekends even with the likes of NY radio vet Carol Mason and ORIGINAL Record Pig Big Jay Sorensen and with some GREAT music, PD Dale Parsons and his crew were left at the gate, to wait the eventual passing of this GREAT station in 1987 And theres a lot from great radio markets like Detroit and Houston. When you look back at the Top 40 History Books, the HBQ/MPS battle lasted almost 20 years dating back to the 50s. Might have just been a function of my own listening habits in my 20s, but the 80s also werent a great time for Rock radio in general. WSIX vs. WSM-FM (1991 96) The stations were locked into the top 2 spots, each with double-digit shares for 17 consecutive books. These mixes were spun by my personal favorite dj on the station at the time, DJ Enrie. Most of the songs played on Movin' 93.9 consisted of rhythmic pop and dance hits from the 1980s and 1990s to the present day, along with classic disco and freestyle music tracks thrown in for balance.