I have little combs and big combs, they already laying but I cant figure out which ones because they like to lay at 6am. Not sure if they're the same but they are great layers. Shockingly big eggs many double yolked! let CurrentYear = new Date().getFullYear() They had some of the funniest personalities.Had one that got lockked in the green house for almost a month during the summer, and she survived without food or water ()it gets too hot for plants in summer). Extremely gentle and comes when called. Can I go ahead and mix them together since they are so young or will I have to separate them until they get use to each other? Regardless of breed. - The Happy Chicken Coop - All Rights Reserved. The Sapphire Gem is a sex-linked chicken variety of chick, which means that their gender can be determined shortly after they hatch by observing their feathers colors. If handled frequently after hatching, Rhode Island Blues will quickly take to human company. I brought her back home after two days of this and have kept her away from the babies. I have raised my first batch of chicks from 1 week old, and have a mixed flock. There is no nutrition in it. Also, were on well water, & my chicks are all fine. You can bet that the popularity she has already gained will only continue to grow, maybe even as fast as that of the Easter Egger! From now on I may just get chicks from the feed store. I am in the market for new chicks and am seriously thinking of trying some this spring. We have Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks and Wyandotte. I have two 1 is super friendly (Stormy)shes been trying to gain higher ground since she was tiny so now enverytime I bend/kneel/squat down she hops right onto my back making her way up to my shoulder as I stand up I believe the leader amongst the 9 others. JavaScript is disabled. I took her to live with an older flock of chicks that were bigger than her but only 5 months old. The cedar chips may be the problem . hi, I got 9 sapphire gems. This is a friendly breed, often termed the Golden Retriever of chickens. Subscribe my Newsletter for new blog posts, tips & new photos. Plymouth Rock. The very nyday Stormy started and theyve been laying extra large cream/light tan colored eggs since. They are now 4 months old. What exactly are Rhode Island Blue chickens and are they dependable? Some Silkies have beards, which almost totally obscure their faces, while others are beardless. Some owners report seeing some more creamy, almost white eggs, but on average they will have a light brown egg color. I had a special saddle bag designed, just especially for a horseback riding chicken! If you order less than 10 chicks outside of this period your order will be moved. The Rhode Island Blue and a blue Rock are actually hybrids, so they aren't the same "breed" as a Rhode Island Red and a Plymouth Rock. While roosters might have a more fiery temperament, most hens are incredibly sweet and loving. I have one plus 3 easter eggers and the sapphire gem is bigger than all the others and smart and calm. The result is a slimmer-figured, even more, efficient egg laying chicken that is the Australian . Another point is how the color varieties developed. except when I have food but even then keep their distance. The Personality of a Rhode Island Red Chicken These chickens are curious and have maximum personality! They rely on the flock leader to keep them safe, show them where food is, and, While its important to note that a breed-designated trait does not imply that every single chicken in that breed HAS that trait, the general thought is that certain behavioral traits are COMMON to, Another larger-sized chicken, the Orpington, is a good all-purpose utility breed, providing both eggs and meat, and it is also frequently, Most chicken research deems the Buff Orpington as laid back, patient, and friendly, loves to receive, Despite their large size, Cochins will also be some of the calmest and friendliest birds in your flock, making them, They are very child-friendly, appreciate human contact, and again despite their size, are often somewhat submissive to other birds, so they are not commonly on top of, Easter Eggers is not actually a true breed. The friendliest chicken I have ever had was a New Hampshire hen named Gladys. She comes back once a day for food and water but I dont want a skunk or other rodent to eat her and her eggs . So annoying when theres lightning. MY 1st pet chicken was a Rhode Island Red. Ive been very pleased with these birds so far. Large chickens can be wonderfully friendly also! They are healthy, resilient and will lay plenty of eggs for you. Blue Star. The sweetest and funniest birds ever. # 7. These chickens are great egg producers, and they dont appear to mind being confined, so theyre straightforward to care for. By far the nicest chicken I have. The sideways head tilt with the glowering stare from Stormy when Rainman jumped on him, priceless. Do chickens quit laying when it gets so hot outside ? And our chicken coop has a upgrade reinforced design, The pipe wall we use is twice as thick as the pipe wall of someone else's cheap chicken coop, Great for Outdoor Use: A durable UV and water-resistant cover can protect your chicken from the weather and outside elements. I use sand. They are solid, round chickens with calm, busy personalities. If you are new to chicken lingo, this means that if you breed two Sapphire Gems, you will not necessarily get another Sapphire Gem. The experience was disappointingnot because of the hatchery (they were great and Id recommend them!) I LOVE CHICKENS! This chicken breed is suitable for both confinement and free range system. Was giving them chick grit and going to look for something different today as well in case it is the food.. the other 7 seem to be doing well so maybe its just you lose some any suggestions? Rhode Island Blues are known to be fantastic egg layers when compared to other similarly sized birds, such as the Orpington which lays about 175-200 eggs per year. I'll go pick her up to bring her back and she will lay her her in my neck like shes thankful. 1) In the early days, when you first bring the chicks home, talk to them gently using a soft voice, but resist the urge to pick them up. Subscribe my Newsletter for new blog posts, tips & new photos. So did I! I got them at Tractor Supply in Gastonia, NC. Ive only had mine a few days, but theyre incredibly quiet chicks. I also give squash and green apples as a treat which they love. Shes a good girl. 4 tablespoons per gallon. If there is any questions please feel free to contact with us, our wonderful customer service team will response in 24 hours. sappfire gems are a hybrid While being docile . I think shes a little blind because she gets lost (separated from the group) sometimes while free ranging. My wife and I are new to chickens. I have six of them and I also use all of my birds to work the huge mulch bed. Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. They consistently lay, Breezey had given me a number of double yolkers that looked like emu eggs! She was wonderful, a real pet. Beside, the quick-connect frame allows for easy assembly. If you decide to have a Rhode Island Blue rooster in your flock, be cautious when allowing children near your chickens. In fact, their egg-laying prowess brought them into the spotlight in the early twentieth century when they broke a record by laying 364 eggs in 365 days. In fact, it is recommended that you get Buff Orpingtons if you have children that enjoy playing with the flock. The Barnevelder can be described as a rectangular body shape, compact with a U- shaped back. She her sister,also production blues, will make sure a buddy is with her always. Those who have sapphire gems hens how big are their combs? We have found Barred Rock to be the absolute friendliest. The Roos are trying to crow and to cover. I also have six Wyandottes Many of the most popular chicken breeds today were created by crossbreeding other popular breeds of the time. I know all chickens are different, maybe we just got lucky, but she acts like a pet. Shes happy to be snuggled and have you boop boop to her as long as none of the others are watching. at 19 weeks and 5-6 lbs. I have black australorp, a wyandotte, a rhode island red and a columbian wyandotte, and they are all fairly low noise, unless laying. All my other breeds are off and on in the mulch but the SGs are always at work turning out good mulch fo my gardens. Our tax dollars at work! beautiful girls, Maybe they are not getting the right amount of nutichin. Rhode Island Blue hens are broody. So, as you can see, her purpose is a production and is not typically used as a meat chicken. In our flock she is a star! 7 Cold Hardiness. Rhode Island Blues are a hybrid crossing two of the best layers - the Rhode Island Red and the Australorp. Our blogs and articles are updated regularly with many different important topics on care, purchasing tips, fun facts, and more. And it is not easy to damage, which can prolong a long-term service time. Durable Steel Construction: Manufactured with high quality steel frame, the coop is solid enough for your chicken to have free space in it. An unexpected surprise was the SGs deciding that they preferred to sleep in the ficus tree next to the coop. Dont know what to expect, but hoping for some large eggs. Rhode Island Red chickens are friendly and easy to handle. SPECKLED SUSSEX I would like to hatch some eggs for future hens. Hi there- I was gifted two female and two male Polish, they are almost five months now. Turns out 2 of my pullets are roos. Just hope not too amazing to be true only time will tell with this new exciting beautiful breed ? Amazing breed ! Ive only had chickens for a year so this is all new to me. We lovingly called him a chicken dog. The other 3 dont lay every day. Nope mine keep their distance dont want to be around any human once grown. chickens. RHODE ISLAND RED/ WHITE LEGHORN LAYING HYBRID My sapphire gems are quirky. 7 Simple Chicken Brooder Ideas To Raise Healthy Chicks. DOMINIQUE Size and Weight. So I have continued to keep Polish, as physician certified companion & therapy animals. For example, dual-purpose and meat breeds tend to be mellow, while leaner layer hens are inclined to be anxious. The overall body of the chicken look like a longish 'brick' that is rectangular and solid. Not so much their chicken song when laying, but the constant noise level.I had 2 white rocks and a Lav Barred Rock, and I had to give them away, because they constantly made these purring noises, almost like a complaining noise every few seconds, all day longand my other chickens dont do this. Let's stay updated! It may not display this or other websites correctly. What makes Rhode Island Blues stand out from the Rhode Island Reds is their stunning blue coloration. FA3F9132-EEB5-4F3D-8E4E-428611AB6589.jpeg, 2C9C2E9F-9756-4288-9A67-10B8926D722D.jpeg, https://www.mthealthy.com/birds/rhode-island-blue. Cannot believe these girls dont make the list. They mature to have a complex feather pattern which is best described as cuckoo red partridge. Does anyone know what kind of winters this chicken can sustain? They are generally calm, peaceful, dignified, and friendly, and excellent layers of light brown eggs. One brown egg every day. This attaches to a wide open fenced enclosure that allows them plenty of room to move around. but because of the postal service. I would definitely recommend getting Americaunas! # 8. They are known for their calm temperament and won't mind being picked up or petted. Mine are around 8lbs. Silkies are also one of the cutest chicken breeds. The most friendly, and most calm, in my opinion are Russian Orloff ? They are highly curious, and will happily roam around your yard in search of a meal. Its me again! Rhode Island Blues are considered large fowl and are similar in stature and size to Rhode Island Reds, with roosters weighing in at around 8lbs, and hens weighing in at around 6lbs. Required fields are marked *. Foraging is excellent for a chicken's health, as it allows them to eat a wide variety of nutrients. I have three sapphire gems, they all started laying early, all eggs are jumbo size, with a significant amount of double yolks. I think the cedar chips may be the problem. It is like it wants attentionwhen the others go about their business. Some have none,some just a little,and 1 girl has grey instead of red. Both the cockerel and the pullet sit on my shoulder daily, groom me lol, and hang out while I do chicken chores. Theyre curious, the first to check out new situations, absolutely love attention, and are intelligent, mellow pets. The American Poultry Association first admitted Rhode Islands into their Standard of Perfection in 1904. Chick grit is not food. Who doesnt want a flock of happy chickens that come running when you approach them? He even would come horseback riding with me!! I have them in the house right now with large cedar chips and heat lamp.. also.giving them fresh water and water with probiotics and electrolytes added originally the water was well water as we are out in the country so I have switched it to bottled hoping that was my problem. I purchased 4 Sapphire Gems from a friend laying size. They get tired quickly and also get cold. We get one very large egg from her every single day without fail.