The Rolling Stones' Kid-Approved Fisher-Price Collab Just Got Restocked Online Watch Kevin Bacon, Jimmy Fallon Revise the Rolling Stones' 'Paint It, Black' But they would be rated very average, on a level far below that of their peak tours. It occurred to me then that we might never see this man onstage again and that, however lackluster it all may be right now, that would be a very great loss. The real limits of these performances, though, werent technical but conceptual. The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time Without much hope, I wish them well. Jagger can claim that the band does new material to avoid repeating itself, but thats a little silly considering that Respectable, for instance, is just a rewrite of Rocks Off, and that When the Whip Comes Down is only a reworked Hand of Fate. What the program really did point up is how much the quality of the groups material has slipped: anyone who can listen to Star Star, hardly the greatest Stones song, back to back with Whip, which is near the top of the new crop, and not think the band has lost a great deal in the past five years just isnt paying attention. The Rolling Stones Foreigner Concert Details Date: Saturday, June 17, 1978 Venue: JFK Stadium Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States Notes: $12.00 GA Band Genres Show more genres Setlists The Rolling Stones setlist: Play on YouTube Play on Spotify Let It Rock All Down the Line Honky Tonk Women Star Star When the Whip Comes Down Scrobble, find and rediscover music with a Last.fm account, Do you have the artwork for this album? JFK Stadium Philadelphia, Philadelphia (US) Jul 13, 1985. August, 1982. We didn't have tickets but we knew since they were playing a football stadium that tickets would be available. So, despite the boomy sound (the stadium is best known as the site of motorcycle races and high-school games) and the sometimes grating rustiness of the groups stage act, the Stones grabbed the crowd with the opening strains of Under My Thumb and never let go through a hit-filled twenty-six-song set that lasted more than two hours.
[url=https://www.setlist.fm/edit?setlist=3bd6ecc0&step=song]Edit this setlist[/url] | [url=https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/the-rolling-stones-bd6ad22.html]More The Rolling Stones setlists[/url], John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia, PA, USA, The Rolling Stones Live Debut 1966 Track at Madrid Tour Kickoff, Setlist History: The Rolling Stones Live Debut 5 Songs in 1973, 7 Years Ago The Rolling Stones Played 14-Song Set at The Echoplex, Rolling Stones Play 25 Songs on Keith's Birthday This Day in 1981, John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia, PA, Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me). This is a gesture to maturity, just as Love in Vain is a gesture to the blues. Were gonna do one called Beast Of Burden.'. 2023 Rolling Stone, LLC. This ones for you. They play Chuck Berrys Sweet Little Sixteen which the Stones played live for the first time two days before in Passaic, New Jersey.
After the first one, they retired directly to their hotel rooms and went to sleep, awaking later to discuss the sound problem, which was partially alleviated by the second show. JFK Stadium Philadelphia, Philadelphia (US) Sep 25, 1982. 240/241), Paul McCartney Oakland, Sunday, May 8th, 2022 (Nanker Dog 005). Neighbours04. The Rolling Stones are an English rock band formed in London in 1962. Opening acts included Van Halen, Journey, Peter Tosh, Patti Smith, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Foreigner, Eddie Money, Kansas, Etta James, Furry Lewis, Atlanta Rhythm Section, April Wine, The Outlaws, and the Doobie Brothers. It had rained before the Stones played and I remember Mick Jagger running out on stage, slippingand falling down. The 200 Greatest Singers of All Time The focus is still too incessantly on Mick Jagger to satisfy pre-Exile on Main Street buffs, but at least the concert is now at a workable length. hitchhike from Providence which must have taken around 6 hours but we managed to Get the The Rolling Stones Setlist of the concert at John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia, PA, USA on September 26, 1981 from the Tattoo You Tour and other The Rolling Stones Setlists for free on setlist.fm! The Stones were really good and they concentrated on material Its easy to say that the Rolling Stones are still the greatest, or that theyve become silly and dismissible. The Doors Stockholm 1968 Pre-FM (No Label), The Rolling Stones European Tour Live 1970 (No Label), The Rolling Stones Boston Orpheum Theatre 2002 (No Label), New Rolling Stones / Jeff Beck title on Goldplate, The Rolling Stones Sixty Tour 2022 Stockholm Crystal Cat CC 1145-46), The Rolling Stones See You At Groupama (No Mftr. And why dispense with the amusing medley of If You Cant Rock Me and Get Off of My Cloud and keep Love in Vain, which hasnt had a proper solo since Mick Taylor quit? 2 (Crystal Cat CC 1139-44), Stuart on Bob Dylan USA box Vol. inside to get a good position in the front. The Supremes played at the stadium on September 10, 1965. She's So Cold09. Honky Tonk Women The tour is widely believed among fans to be one of the band's greatest, largely because it was in many ways back to basics both in musical and visual terms. The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time Yes The Shining: The Word Is Love II (Tarantura TCDY-12, 12, 14), Genesis Man On The Hammersmith (Virtuoso 137/138), Bob Dylan Slow Train To Warfield (Mainstream MAST-98/99), David Bowie and The Spiders From Mars Detroit 1973, 1st Night (Wardour 229), Rainbow Swan Lake (Tarantura TCDNIJIFUNE78-02-1,2), Pink Floyd Definitive Brescia 1971 (Sigma 293), Eric Clapton Hard Rock Calling (no label). . We went to the stadium and spent the night with a lot of people outside. The New York show (in the 3000-seat Palladium) went overboard in the other direction: the extremely tedious middle section of the show, in which the Stones promote their new album like latter-day Framptons, was as well received as the stronger beginning and end. JFK Philadelphia 1978(Dog N Cat DAC-078), JFK Stadium, Philadelphia, PA June 17th, 1978, Disc 1: Opening, Let It Rock, All Down The Line, Honky Tonk Women, Star Star, When The Whip Comes Down, Miss You, Just My Imagination, Respectable, Beast Of Burden, Disc 2: Far Away Eyes, Love In Vain, Shattered, Satisfaction, Sweet Little Sixteen, Tumbling Dice, introductions, Happy, Brown Sugar, Jumping Jack Flash. The Rolling Stones John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia, PA - Sep 26, 1981 Sep 26 1981 Last updated: 23 Apr 2023, 20:44 Etc/UTC The Rolling Stones Gig Timeline Previous concerts The Rolling Stones Civic Auditorium, Oshawa, ON - Apr 22, 1979 Apr 22 1979 The Rolling Stones Sir Morgans Cove, Worcester, MA - Sep 14, 1981 Sep 14 1981 Sep 25, 1981 Good night, good bye, and well see you next year is Jaggers parting words. All Down the Line23. Mick came up and hugged him. And so I found myself moved only once during these two shows: after Keith Richards had been flailing away at the crashing chords of Jumping Jack Flash, the Palladium shows final song, and was sagging from fatigue at its conclusion. Either you believe, through thick and thin, that the Stones are the worlds greatest rock band, or else you think that claims fraud. Continuing a schedule started in 1966 of touring the United States exactly every three years, the Stones played in a mixture of theatres, sometimes under a pseudonym (i.e., at the start of the 1978 US Tour in Lakeland, Florida, The Stones were billed on the ticket as "The Great Southeast Stoned Out Wrestling Champions"), arenas, and stadiums, a practice that they would follow for many of their future tours as well. A typical set list for the tour, with minor variations involving one or two of the numbers being omitted: Last edited on 26 November 2022, at 11:21, Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me), "The Rolling Stones: Some Girls Live In Texas '78 DVD/LP Review", "Rare 1978 photos of Rolling Stones fans at an epic Day on the Green", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Rolling_Stones_US_Tour_1978&oldid=1123916698, This page was last edited on 26 November 2022, at 11:21. The 50 Worst Decisions in Music History Miss You JFK Philadelphia 1978 (Dog N Cat DAC-078) JFK Stadium, Philadelphia, PA - June 17th, 1978 Disc 1: Opening, Let It Rock, All Down The Line, Honky Tonk Women, Star Star, When The Whip Comes Down, Miss You, Just My Imagination, Respectable, Beast Of Burden In the early 1960s, the Rolling Stones pioneered the gritty, rhythmicall, The Best Of Faces: Good Boys When They're Asleep, The Yardbirds Story - Pt. were there and would like to share your memories, pictures or tape please send Under My Thumb02. Trending There is another cut in the tape after Love In Vain.. When the Whip Comes Down03. The Rolling Stones has played at JFK Stadium on Philadelphia, United States 3 out of 1788 concerts, with a probability of 0.17% to hosts a show there, since his first concert on JFK Stadium on June 17, 1978 until his latest show on JFK Stadium on September 26, 1981. The Rolling Stones opened their 1981 American Tour ("Tattoo You") with two shows at JFK Stadium, on September 25 and 26, 1981 in front of 90,000 fans each night. He had a fever and they played a short set. Rolling Stones Recorded a New Song With Paul McCartney. Like the 1972 and 1975 U.S. tours, Bill Graham was the tour promoter. While no live album was released immediately following this tour, a fair amount of bootleg releases showcased its musical qualities most notably the multi-show King Biscuit Flower Hour FM recording often known as "Handsome Girls". Related Everything here is a gesture, included for pose and posture, which is fine enough, if all thats at stake is entertainment. I was there. The Rolling Stones - September 25th, 1981 John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia, PA, USA (2022)01. When was the last concert at JFK Stadium? Use this setlist for your event review and get all updates automatically! of unknown photographer, pictures courtesy And it gets worse when the Stones do a song as out of place as Far Away Eyes. Almost anything from Not Fade Away to Memory Motel could take this space with better results, and almost anything would have been more in keeping with the bands tradition. Tickets $12.00. Sweet Little Sixteen Cloudflare Ray ID: 7c0883028dfb3134 My girlfriend Michelle at T he 180,000 people who turned out to see the opening shows of the Rolling Stones' 1981 concert tour at Philadelphia's John F. Kennedy Stadium couldn't have cared less that the band was out . By the time they reached San Diego on October 7th, however, no such gigs had materialized, although the Stones had tracked down veteran R&B sax player Lee Allen in Chicago for some jamming, and were hoping to entice Sonny Rollins (who plays sax, uncredited, on three cuts on Tattoo You) to join them for some East Coast dates later in the tour. What a crazy night before the concert and when the gates open you just ran down the aisles to the floor and hoped you didn't fall, stumble, or got pushed from behind. The Rolling Stones + Journey + George Thorogood and the Destroyers. The Rolling Stones: Just Another Rock Band? In addition to the complete concert, the DVD included footage of the tour rehearsals and the three songs the Rolling Stones performed live on the Saturday Night Live television show in October 1978.[2]. 3 - 1965/66 - Big Hits & America Calling, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. The 50 Worst Decisions in Music History The Rolling Stones at JFK Stadium in 1978 726 Related Topics Philadelphia Pennsylvania United States of America North America Place 67 comments Best Add a Comment art-man_2018 3 mo. Even more interesting is how, after four older songs, they are allbunched together in the middle ofthe set. Time Is on My Side (Kai Winding \u0026 His Orchestra cover) (first time since 1966)10. However, this United States tour did not carry on into Europe in 1979, breaking the group's similar schedule of performing in Europe every three years, which had started in 1967. No you dont look it. The bands that performed were: Monster of Rock 1988. Opening acts were Journey and George Thorogood & the Destroyers. Three years ago, in order to get through a two-and-a-half-hour performance, Jagger was obliged to take frequent breaks, and those were the slackest moments of all. People were upset that it was taking so long to open the doors. We decided to Another act opening that day was Etta James, famous for her classic song At Last. The only previous compact disc release isJFK Stadium (Vinyl Gang VGP-336) in 2003, which duplicates the title and cover artwork complete with reverse negative photo and is copied from vinyl. All rights reserved. Mediocre performances in New York and Philadelphia generate questions about the Stones' shaky present and uncertain future By Dave Marsh August 10,. JFK Stadium Philadelphia July 30, 1978 T hey might as well have called it a pop-blues festival. it wasn't that bad of a crush until the band came on but over-all it was Somebody nailed him right in the forehead sending him off the truck. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. Andy Little, 17, from Westfield, N.J., had made $400 selling tickets for up to $40 each that he had bought for $17 apiece. Roughly 2,5 million concert goers attended the concerts, setting various ticket sales records. They are both excellent quality soundboard recordings with really nice balance and clarity. Even the lines about Bandstand, Philadelphia, P.A. in Sweet Little Sixteen didnt get a hand, which is pretty stiff for 90,000 patrons. The expensive staging has also been eliminated, though a modest stage scrim painted with the tongue-and-lips logo is used for the outdoor shows. Shattered06. Let's Spend the Night Together07. Add artwork, Do you know any background info about this album? About half way through a jet plane is audible flying over the stadium. - Paul Fernandes. We The edit between sources is very smooth and nice handled. in a stadium that size with 90,000 people behind you and on the sides. Opening night of Still Life Tour, JFK Stadium, Philadelphia, September 25, 1981 : Under My Thumb * When The Whip Comes Down * Neighbors * Just My Imagination * Shattered * Let's Spend The Night Together * Black Limousine * She's So Cold * Time Is On My Side * Beast Of Burden * Waiting On A Friend * Let It Bleed * You Can't Always Get What You Want * Tops * Tumbling Dice * Hang Fire * Let Me Go * Little T\u0026A * Start Me Up * Miss You * Honky Tonk Women * All Down The Line * Brown Sugar * Jumping Jack Flash * Street Fighting Man * Satisfaction But only one of those dates, the 90,000-plus show at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia, had been on the original . Trending The Rolling Stones embarked on their 1st concert tour in 1963, the beginning of a legendary career. Hang Fire17. On June 17th of 1978, two seniors students at Malverne High School in Long Island approached their teacher, New York-based photographer Joseph Szabo, and offered him a deal: in exchange for driving them to Philadelphia's JFK Stadium, he was invited to attend his first ever rock concert, a Rolling Stones performance with an estimated audience of Star Star All rights reserved. An attendee to the show remembers:We got in line early to try and get as close to the stage as we could. 1981 25 Sep. Editors picks The Stones were back, for the first time in three years, and they proved theres still nothing remotely like them in rock & roll. Jun 17, 1978 JFK Stadium Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States Send us a tip using our anonymous form. [url=https://www.setlist.fm/edit?setlist=43d6ef2f&step=song]Edit this setlist[/url] | [url=https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/the-rolling-stones-bd6ad22.html]More The Rolling Stones setlists[/url], John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia, PA, USA, The Rolling Stones Live Debut 1966 Track at Madrid Tour Kickoff, Setlist History: The Rolling Stones Live Debut 5 Songs in 1973, 7 Years Ago The Rolling Stones Played 14-Song Set at The Echoplex, Rolling Stones Play 25 Songs on Keith's Birthday This Day in 1981, Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me). the time and I decided to go see them in Philadelphia at JFK Stadium. The 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time. The Outlaws backed up Peter Tosh. Some of the shows rank among some of their best, while others are decidedly mediocre, but many collectors claim this to be the last of the Rolling Stones legendary tours. You Can't Always Get What You Want14. Careful Axeman Eugene on New releases from Blind Faith, Clapton, Kiss, & Judas Priest! Logistics were being handled with military precision by Bill Grahams organization. It was the largest grossing tour of 1981 with $50 million in ticket sales. Active for six decades, they are one of the most popular and enduring bands of the rock era. Keith Richards, crouched close to the floor as if preparing for jungle combat, and Ron Wood pumped out the trademark licks for Lets Spend the Night Together, Let It Bleed, Mona, All Down the Line, Honky Tonk Women and, from their new album, Neighbours and Start Me Up.. DAC also resurrect the design with the band and title name printed vertically on the front cover, something they used for the 1981 soundboards they were releasing several years ago. The tape fades out soon afterwards so the commotion mentioned above isnt present on the tape. Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones performing on stage at JFK Stadium circa 1981 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. The Beatles played at the stadium on August 16, 1966. Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts kicked off the Stones sets by locking into the rolling riff of Under My Thumb, while Mick Jagger whip-thin and wired in a yellow quilted jacket, scarlet T-shirt and white wool leotards stomped and scrambled across the stage and onto the wings, pumping his hips, primping his hair, kung-fu fighting to the bleachers and singing like the master he is. Boring and indulgent as the Stones have become, the fan inside me wants to know how they will cope with the Eighties. The Rolling Stones - September 25th, 1981 John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia, PA, USA (2022)01. Barry Recap: A Tragic Death Shakes Up Bill Haders Dark Satire. Mick changes Pittsburgh, PA in the lyrics to Philadelphia, PA to the audiences approval. Happy 1981 26 Sep. Philadelphia was the fifth of twenty five shows and, given the venue, the biggest one to date. Mick Jagger performs at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia on June 17, 1978 on the Some Girls tour. The Rolling Stones at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia, June 17, 1978 [Credit: Henry Ray Abrams Collection] (6607x4239) . Buy a Piece of Rock & Roll History! (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction Jumpin' Jack Flash, articles from the Succession Recap: Logan Roy Makes Shock Return, Shiv and Tom Get Kinky To the Philadelphia audience, nothing would have made much difference. JFK is packaged in a double slimline jewel case with thick color glossy inserts. In their first week on the road, the Stones played to about 113,000 people in six cities. First two shows in Philadelphia were marred by sound issues, but the Stones played on. Honky Tonk Women22. dv: Lalyos, Bruce Springsteen If You Make Your Home In Milan (Godfather Records G.R. Philadelphia Journal courtesy it was quite a site to see the crowd on their feet as the Stones kicked off their 3rd performance at Arrowhead Stadium (their first was '75, their latest was in '89 . How many concerts have there been at JFK Stadium? Clearly, the best was yet to come. of Paul Fernandes, The Rolling Stones - Some Girls Tour Interview June 1978, The Rolling Stones - Miss You (Long Outtake) 1978, The Rolling Stones "Some Girls" (full album), *Note: if you Tattoo You The action you just performed triggered the security solution. Use this setlist for your event review and get all updates automatically! It was the first tour featuring songs written with Ronnie Wood as an official member of the Rolling Stones, and his contributions from this period are considered by many Stones fans as some of his greatest with the band. hitchhiked our way back home. 2 (Crystal Cat CC 1139-44). Connect your Spotify account to your Last.fm account and scrobble everything you listen to, from any Spotify app on any device or platform. The Rolling Stones - Steel Wheels Tour Rehearsals - Philadelphia, JFK Stadium, August 28th 1989.During summer 1989, The Rolling Stones rehearsed for their "S. Secluding themselves in the Barclay Hotel in midtown Philadelphia, they commandeered thirty-four rooms on three floors (Keith Richards and Charlie Watts on one floor, Ron Wood and Bill Wyman on another, Mick Jagger on the third) and maintained a low profile until the eleven a.m. show time on the first day. Since Happy only works because it focuses our attention on Keith Richards as a symbol, why not do Before They Make Me Run, which has a far more current application? When the Whip Comes Down03. The extra percussionist and the synthesizer are gone, the basic quintet supplemented only by two keyboardists (Ian McLagan, formerly of the Faces, and Ian Stewart, a hardy perennial). Barry Recap: A Tragic Death Shakes Up Bill Haders Dark Satire. The Rolling Stones setlist at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia, United States on tour Tattoo You. Beast of Burden11. Mediocre performances in New York and Philadelphia generate questions about the Stones' shaky present and uncertain future. We were on the east side of JFK with about 10,000 other people wanting to be in the front row. Tumbling Dice Are there any sixteen year old girls. After the show fans trashed the stage because they were pissed off., It takes a while for them to warm up and the opening numbers are delivered at a brisk pace, but the band delivers an effective show. JFK Stadium has had 39 concerts. Many the back of the truck, smashing bottles of the side. There isnt anything here to make you dispute him.