Remember Pelosi praying for Trump and calling for a family intervention. The best minds are not in government. For decades we have piled deficit upon deficit, mortgaging our future and our childrens future for the temporary convenience of the present. Reagan believed in government, but he didnt believe in a government run bycronies and elitesand dependent on debt. How can any one who abhors the oppression of Negroes be in favor of degrading classes of white people? The great dynamic success of capitalism had given us a powerful weapon in our battle against Communism-money. . And let there be no misunderstanding: We are going to begin to act, beginning today.The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several decades. Votes: 3, The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. Known as "the Great Communicator," Reagan is often remembered for his quick wit and storytelling. If we ever forget that we are one nation under God then we will be a nation gone under. 2023 Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Library. One way to make sure crime doesnt pay would be to let the government run it. TIP: The quote is from January 20, 1981 from Reagans first inaugural address. I have in my life heard government doesnt work often and just as often I hear it attributed to Reagan but that isnt what Reagan meant for me and not sure that is what history shows us from that era. MLK's 'I have been to the mountaintop' the, Ronald Reagan: 'Government is not the solution to the problem: government is the problem', Inaugural Address - 1981. https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/ John Foster Dulles: 'Free people will never remain free if they are not willing to fight', On the Fall of Dien Bien Phu - 1954, Jimmy Carter: '1976 will not be politics as usual', Democratic Convention Acceptance Speech - 1976 , Jon Stewart: "They responded in five seconds", 9-11 first responders, Address to Congress - 2019, Jacinda Ardern: 'They were New Zealanders. During the 1964 US presidential election campaign, Reagan delivered a notable speech A Time for Choosing that had a major contribution to his future political career. Votes: 1, Do Americans want the government to micromanage every aspect of our lives? We the people tell the government what to do. The best minds are not in government. Its important for history to continue to be broken down and debated among the masses. Progress became a search for power and domination. Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right. But, the Marines dont have that problem. That what is right will always eventually triumph. The fact that you have made it to this page means you are seeking out the truth clap-clap-clap. There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder. Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. They will go away because we as Americans have the capacity now, as weve had in the past, to do whatever needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion of freedom. The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several decades. How can we love our country and not love our countrymen -- and loving them reach out a hand when they fall, heal them when theyre sick, and provide opportunity to make them self-sufficient so they will be equal in fact and not just in theory? for Caitlin & Johnny - 2015, Korey Soderman (via Kyle): 'All our lives I have used my voice to help Korey express his thoughts, so today, like always, I will be my brothers voice' for Kyle and Jess - 2014, Bruce Springsteen: 'They're keepers of some of the most beautiful sonic architecture in rock and roll', Induction U2 into Rock Hall of Fame - 2005, Olivia Colman: 'Done that bit. The solutions we seek must be equitable, with no one group singled out to pay a higher price.We hear much of special interest groups. It was Ronald Reagan who used to say that the 10 most frightening words in the English language are, "I'm from the federal government, and I'm here to help.". It knows no sectional boundaries or ethnic and racial divisions, and it crosses political party lines. So as we begin, let us take inventory.We are a nation that has a government -- not the other way around. I think I have done that bit', BAFTA acceptance, Leading Actress - 2019, Axel Scheffler: 'The book wasn't called 'No Room on the Broom! Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. Ronald Reagan Government View Economy Moving Up , , , Franklin D. Roosevelt Info American - President February 6, 1911 - June 5, 2004 Cite this Page: Citation Quotes to Explore Today, if you invent a better mousetrap, the government comes along with a better mouse. They are, in short, We the People. This breed called Americans.Well, this Administrations objective will be a healthy, vigorous, growing economy that provides equal opportunities for all Americans with no barriers born of bigotry or discrimination. As a politician and a leader, Reagan had a lot to say about his political views and what he thought was best for his country. A nation can only create so many losers in a Democracy before they overwhelm the political system. In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. Be careful what you wish for. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. Wow, Im the first to comment in 2021! We developed at the local school district level probably the best public school system in the world. I call upon the scientific community in our country, those who gave us nuclear weapons, to turn their great talents now to the cause of mankind and world peace, to give us the means of rendering these nuclear weapons impotent and obsolete. And that is a good thing, because Reagan got more things right than most of them did. There is no perfect solution other than that which comes from a collection of morally grounded individuals who recognize that we are only a generation away from losing a republic that was built to allow the masses to choose who governs them. The idea of this page is to clarify what he actually said in context vs. the meme version. We will not bother to denounce it, well dismiss it as a sad, bizarre chapter in human history whose last pages are even now being written. The government's goals sometimes don't align with the nation's goals. Ending inflation means freeing all Americans from the terror of runaway living costs. Whoever would understand in his heart the meaning of America will find it in the life of Abraham Lincoln.Beyond those moments -- those monuments to heroism is the Potomac River, and on the far shore the sloping hills of Arlington National Cemetery, with its row upon row of simple white markers bearing crosses or Stars of David. By your gracious cooperation in the transition process you have shown a watching world that we are a united people pledged to maintaining a political system which guarantees individual liberty to a greater degree than any other. Follow on LinkedIn andLikehis public figure page on Facebook. He led America out of revolutionary victory into infant nationhood. Do Americans want the government to micromanage every aspect of our lives? The reality is, if we look at Reagans actual record and policy positions, we can see he hardly shied away from using Government. Reagan said those words, but they were part of a longer sentence that seems to be very frequently taken out of context. Quotes Authors R Ronald Reagan In this present crisis, government is. If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. Here are the best Ronald Reagan quotes on Government: Governments first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. If any were, business would steal them away. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan Overview Reagan Quotes & Speeches The Presidency Back The Presidency Overview Domestic Policy Foreign Policy Economic Policy Mikhail Gorbachev Reagan the Man D-day Happy at home by Craig Shirley Nancy Reagan Back Nancy Reagan Overview The Love Story Her Causes Nancy Reagan Memorial Nancy Reagan's Life & Times Nancy Reagan Centennial I've been saying so for more than a quarter of a century now. If it keeps moving, regulate it. Our Government has no power except that granted it by the people. If it keeps moving, regulate it. I wish he had understood the harm of the drug war. Reagan may have been for a limitedgovernment, buthe was not anti-government.. This may not sound too exciting, but there is something magnificent about it. But great as our tax burden is, it has not kept pace with public spending. We in government should learn to look at our country with the eyes of the entrepreneur, seeing possibilities where others see only problems. Although Reagandid call for smaller government and trickle down in 1981, and although he never changed his general thoughts on economics, by 1988 Reagan was tearing down walls in the name of liberalism by leveragingstate power, and that sort of context is important to remember. Stagflation at home was the new normal as Jimmy Carter seemed incapable of anything more than lecturing us to get used to it. You can see heroes every day going in and out of factory gates. Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. However,Reagan didnt just say Government is the problem, he said, In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.[1]. We who live in free market societies believe that growth, prosperity and ultimately human fulfillment, are created from the bottom up, not the government down. The price for this freedom at times has been high, but we have never been unwilling to pay the price. Reagan was using this line long before the 1980s. Votes: 2, One way to make sure crime doesn't pay would be to let the government run it. Top 5 quotes from Ronald Reagan. It knows no sectional boundaries or ethnic and racial divisions, and it crosses political party lines. Protecting the rights of even the least individual among us is basically the only excuse the government has for even existing. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?All of us together -- in and out of government -- must bear the burden. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. I will never forget his uncanny ability to put one immediately at ease and to show interest in whoever he was talking to. Votes: 0, It was Ronald Reagan who used to say that the 10 most frightening words in the English language are, "I'm from the federal government, and I'm here to help." Not the distributor of gifts and privilege but once again the protector of our liberties. From time to time weve been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Retrieved from https://www.thoughtco.com/ronald-reagan-quotes-you-should-know-1779926. His website iswww.lawrencewreed.com. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Reagan said, Government is the problem, but it was part of a longer sentence and speech, with more words in it, in which he makes his point more clear. The former U.S. president loved America exactly for its diversity. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. We're told that on his body was found a diary. The years ahead will be great ones for our country, for the cause of freedom and the spread of civilization. Talk about nuance.? The rich got richer, the country went into debt, but the economy did grow, and some aspects of wealth did trickle down. He was enrolled as an officer himself at the outbreak of World War II, but has never actually seen combat. The person who agrees with you 80 percent of the time is a friend and an ally not a 20 percent traitor.