This resort limits the amount of guests on any given day to about 40, to ensure a private and secluded feel to the beach. The ruins have since been excavated and opened to the public. In my blog, I share with you my insider tips & knowledge and about cruise ports, shore excursions, cruise destinations, and crew life onboard a cruise ship! A popular one thrown around (and one I've been to) is Krazy Lobster. The impacted cruise is a 7-night roundtrip Western Caribbean sailing from Galveston, calling on Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel, with three days at sea for guests to enjoy all Allure of the Seas . Maya Chan is awesome. You can post now and register later. If your cruise ship is not listed, please contact us as we are in the process of adding additional ships. Mahahual Beach is a great place to relax, with plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas available. Like what you see? Display as a link instead, The port area is neat and well maintained. Apr 29, 2023 - Find & Book the top-rated and best-reviewed tours in Riviera Maya for 2023. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. If you want to use a dive shop, Gypsea Divers shop is also right there and gets great reviews. I wrote a lengthy review! We have reservations for our Oct 1 cruise from Galveston, but the most recent review I see on Google says that the water is unswimmable and the smell is so bad, it's tough to stay on the beach even. ! Come and enjoy where the locals and crew members eat in Mahahual. This is probably one of the few excursions I would say is safe to book outside of the Cruise Line because there is little danger of missing the boat because it is right by the pier. Costa Maya excursions By Cruiser58 August 30, 2021 in Shore Excursions Share Followers 2 Reply to this topic Start new topic Cruiser58 Members 48 LocationNortheast Texas Posted August 30, 2021 I'm interested in suggestions for things to do in Costa Maya. Juices, Lemonade, Sodas and Shirley Temples. Allow 15 min to walk to meeting point. Cozumel Excursions. We took this tour the second time we had docked in Costa Maya and honestly, the two hours flew by so quickly. Are you planning your Costa Maya port excursion? Another Mayan site thats accessible from Costa Maya is Kohunlich. Jacques . Photo courtesy of Rene Cicero. Which is a better Costa Maya Tour: Chacchoben, Kohunlich or Dzibanche? The Excursion is 2.5hrs. During the pandemic, we had a private tour to Kohunlich as nobody else booked the tour! . 25 Top Shore Excursion Packing List Items. Costa Maya is a cruise ship port in the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico and very close to the border of Belize. Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. 3 hour Open bar and beach lunch included. Within the port village, youll find shops and stalls selling everything from silver, leather and fragrances, to pottery, liquor and crafts. We were there in September 2019, so unsure what the post-covid service is like, but pre-covid service was fantastic. Clarification - the guys at Jaime's were cash only, not the dive shops. Welcome to Costa Maya Cruise Excursions, your guide to shore excursions in Costa Maya. Shore Excursions in Costa Maya Port There are a few tours you can do in Costa Maya, with a mixture of the major variations below. Forgotten for decades, the ruins were re-discovered in 1942 by a local farmer who built his home on the site. The Costa Maya port is also the closest access point to many of Mexico's lesser-known and less excavated Mayan sites, making visits to these sites incredibly worthwhile and within easy access right off of the cruise ship. Thanks ahead of time . You get a more personalized and intimate tour when booking with local tour companies and you help support their small businesses along the way. What to Pack for a Caribbean Cruise: Top 40 Must-Have Items, Check out the top-rated Costa Maya tours and activities. Virgin Voyages Restaurants Guide what restaurants are there and where to eat onboard, The ultimate guide to Virgin Voyages activities on the ship/What to expect during Scarlet Night, Port Guide and shore excursions in Costa Maya, Port guide and shore excursions in Bimini/What to expect at the Beach Club at Bimini, Rhapsody of the Seas (Royal Caribbean Cruise Review), Holland America Alaska Cruise Review (MS Noordam), Our First Ever Cruise (Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas Review), A Day Trip Itinerary to Isla Mujeres Mexico, Cheap Nassau Shore Excursions with a toddler. Did we miss any exciting shore excursions you can do while at Port Costa Maya? Great service, drinks and food. There are also several hills and mounds on the site covered in vegetation. Food was not provided on this tour, but snacks and refreshments were available at the entrance to Chacchoben. Just go. Entrance fees into the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Site & Beach Day Pass included! We are saving almost half! Tell them you want to go to Krazy Lobster and they'll take you directly there. If you are looking forward to lying under a palm tree on a comfortable lounger accompanied by a delicious cocktail in hand listening to music or want to sunbathe on white sand beaches next to crystal clear, turquoise blue water that only the Caribbean can offer, this is the beach break for you! We guarantee a full refund of your excursion deposit if your ship can not make it into the port of Costa Maya. ! Saw your video too @SarahBrown. Entrance fees into the Kohunlich Mayan Ruins Site are included. https://www.dolphindiscovery.com/costa-maya/ I'll reach out to them directly and see if I can get a response. I leave stateroom 30 min early due to crowds, elevator time, etc. If youre planning on taking a snorkeling excursion, make sure to bring organic sunscreen its a federal regulation. Get tips on what to bring on your cruise in my article. Renting an ATV is another popular activity in Costa Maya. We have reservations for our Oct 1 cruise from Galveston Nohoch Kay Beach Club. Overall, I was happy with my decision to book a Royal Caribbean shore excursion to the Chacchoben ruins. The cruise port in Costa Maya has a very appealing character. Explore the fascinating Chacchoben Mayan ruins and then refresh yourself in the crystal clear waters of the Seven Color Lagoon. Travel. Service couldn't have been better. Nice breeze, cabanas, chairs everything was great. Ready to revisit that bucket list? We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Lily. Photo courtesy of Rene Cicero. Are there cheap places in Mahahual to just grab a beach chair and enjoy the beach? The profits are then kept by the cruise line itself instead of being reinvested back to the local economy. Visitors using home video cameras may be charged a government fee of approximately $5 -$8 payable in cash on the site. Destinations. Question, has it always done this or is a by-product of Covid ? Today, we've got an EPIC River Tubing Adventure to check out as part of our port stop in Costa Maya. Puerto Rico Excursions. The tour includes entrance fees and transportation to and from the cruise port. The reef of Mahahual is undoubtedly one of the wonders of the Caribbean since it belongs to the Meso-American Barrier Reef ecosystem, second largest reef system in the world. We booked this through Royal Caribbean for a day excursion. Take a dip in the sparkling blue waters of Cenote Azul, an open freshwater cenote known for prime snorkeling and swimming. Seeing those huge faces engraved in the stone was a definite highlight. The port pass also includes 3 complimentary drinks at one of the bars located close to the port pools.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'adventourbegins_com-leader-1','ezslot_10',131,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-adventourbegins_com-leader-1-0');The aviary. Paste as plain text instead, The people are very nice, and quite attentive. You can read more in our cookie notice more information I agree. These cruises are selling out fast, get them while you can. Past meets present in Costa Maya. Upload or insert images from URL. Please report back to us when you return about Maya Chan. I was going to do that at Maya Key in Feb until Royal cancelled our ship. Located in the town of Bacalar, the 7 Colors lagoon got its name from the 7 different colors the lagoon takes, depending on the season and how deep the water is. The highlight of the site are these huge faces carved in stone, rebuilt every time theres a new leader. Royal Caribbean's excursions include: Adventure Tours - Looking for a real adventure? Pick up from the Port area of Costa Maya. Perhaps they just are not populating the app yet for next year. Entrance fees into the Dzibanche & Kinichna Mayan Ruins Site are included. This beautiful port of call is known for its gorgeous beaches, a wide range of activities offered, and archeological ruins attractive not only to history buffs but to all visitors wanting to learn about Mexicos rich historical and cultural heritage.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[468,60],'adventourbegins_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_8',126,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-adventourbegins_com-medrectangle-3-0'); Also read our cruise port guides for Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, St Thomas, St Maarten, Nassau, Labadee, Cococay,Barbados, San Juan, Grand Cayman, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis, Antigua, Falmouth, Ocho Rios. Cost was $99 per person, so it was a pricey excursion. If there are more than 4 cruise ships in port simultaneously, other ships will anchor and transfer their guests ashore via tender boats. Does it include lunch and drinks or will those be extra? 4. level 1. There are some very good Mayan ruins nearby that are not strenuous to enjoy. Can't remember exact name. TessOR Breeze was blowing most of the time. Kohunlichs ruins used to be houses where the nobles lived, with a temple. We provide firsthand information on every activity and excursion trip we recommend. Cruise to Costa Maya and find ancient Maya ruins and mysterious jungles just begging to be explored, as well as private beach clubs and trendy restaurants all in one place. And if you're looking to relax, take a beach break and enjoy one of Costa Maya's beautiful beaches. Cruise to Mexico with Royal Caribbean and trek through ancient Maya ruins and mysterious jungles just begging to be explored. Your previous content has been restored. It can also be very hot, so bring your hat and sunglasses (Suggested article: Due to the distance, the best way to explore the ruins is through an organized shore excursion from the cruise line that includes entrance fees and normally provides a packed lunch box so you can maximize your time on sites. Selfishly, I hope the word does not spread too quickly, because this resort is an uncut diamond in the rough. I second your complaint about age restrictions. Taxis from Costa Maya cruise port will charge around $50 per person for a round-trip transfer, including the guided portion of a tour as the taxi drivers also offer guide services. I have a client looking for a catamaran sail out of Costa Maya for some snorkeling, sightseeing, etc. I think you are correct in assuming it may be too early for them to show up right now. I don't see any mention of maintenance at dolphindiscovery.com for Costa Maya (that is the group that does this). We do 50+ laps at the Y pool 4 days a week plus gym equipment and I ride close to 100 miles a week on my road bike. To make a profit, these tour companies are relying on economies of scale: the more people book, the better their margins are. By It was a merchant town where people from all over used to sell their goods in the market. The Great Maya Reef just off the coast is the second largest in the world its a must-snorkel spot. The site is only 20 minutes away from Kohunlich, so some sites offer a tour of both Kohunlich and Dzibanche. Digby and Rodrigo took GREAT care of us! The area is beautifully preserved, with tall palm trees and monkeys that you can spot high up on the trees.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'adventourbegins_com-leader-2','ezslot_14',134,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-adventourbegins_com-leader-2-0'); The entrance fee to Kohunlich is $4.50 per person. Norma nailed it with the service at Jaime's. Incidentally, Costa Maya is on the mainland of Mexico down toward Belize. When booking with outside tour companies, you will have to make your way to the meeting point yourself at the appointed time. TOP-RATED TOUR: Mexican cooking class in Mahahualif(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'adventourbegins_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_9',130,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-adventourbegins_com-large-leaderboard-2-0'); rel="sponsored nofollow noopener". Offering Costa Maya cruise excursions and shore trips in All-Inclusive Beach Breaks pass, Snorkeling tours, Catamarans, ATV tours, Mayan Ruins, Private Boat Charters, water sports and more!! Guests are picked up at the port and driven by bus to the resort. I also like the proximity to other amenities in Mahahual, the rooftop pool and Pepe, Siri and Cata at the dive shop. Not a sponsored listing, by the way. We have visited this cruise port at least twice on a Virgin and Royal Caribbean cruise, and you can read our other cruise-related articles below to help you plan and know what to expect. This multicolor freshwater lake is fed by underground sinkholes or cenotes and white sandy bottom that gives the effects of the different hues of blue. I am already looking forward to returning and exploring more of what the port has to offer. Members. Resembling an authentic Mayan city, the Costa Maya cruise port complex is designed to suit the cruise ship passengers needs. There are many gorgeous places to swim, windsurf, paddleboard, and sail. Would love more ideas about where to go and what to do on our next visit to the port! Rich history, soft beaches, and a stunning coral reef just offshore make Costa Maya a desirable destination for people going on cruises in the Caribbean. Thats the Island Marketing Ltd. difference! Theres even a duty free shop where you can opt to buy alcohol. On 11/24/2022 at 12:18 PM, GatorCruiser said: ovid ? Usually the tour companies who supply tours to the cruise lines discount the price of their tours to the cruise companies. Paste as plain text instead, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Paradise Beach Cozumel Review | How to get to Paradise Beach Cozumel from a Cruise Ship. When are they going? We also take into account the number of cruise ships arriving on the same day your ship comes to port. Also is jaimes at blue reef the next best option for an all inclusive if Maya Chan is closed when Im there ? Theres two ways to do a shore excursion: go with a tour or DIY it. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached, or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Royal Caribbean Blog. Lunch consists of a sandwhich with one piece of ham and cheese so it's mostly bread. 70 year olds are not all decrepid. For upscale options, like fresh seafood and Maya-inspired dishes, opt for Costa Mayas resorts and boutique hotels. As advertised, a chill float down the river and then a stop in the lagoon for swimming. You should also scuba dive to see the wide variety of sea life in Costa Maya. Due to the fun nature of the excursion the tour is rain or shine. Costa Maya is located on the Yucatan peninsula in the state of Quintana Roo. Say your bus breaks down in the middle of the road or there was an accident forcing the roads to close and be blocked, whatever the reason for the delay, the ship will wait for you. Something we discovered (and is new to us)are Royal Caribbean shore excursions that combine individualshore, Many Royal Caribbean cruises make a stop in St. Thomas while on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary, but the nearby island, Odds are if you take a Royal Caribbean cruise to somewhere in the Caribbean, there is a good chance you will stop in, There have been a few shore excursions I've taken over the years that I would love to get my time and money back, Theres a charming small town just minutes away from one of Mexicos busiest cruise ports, and its by far my favorite, There are many Royal Caribbean cruises that stop in Port Canaveral and offer shore excursions to Walt Disney World.. . Costa Maya Cruise Excursions offers a variety of options for you to choose from. At Costa Maya, you can walk the shops in the nearby village (take a short tram ride or cab), but we enjoyed Chacchoben Mayan Ruins. For our other tour to Chacchoben, we paid $50 per person on a public tour. Costa Maya Cruise Excursions offers a variety of options for you . We are now looking for a snorkel / beach option. lisabeth. Please post afterwards, and let us know how it was! CoopCEA-Dad They are going in March. Thanks ahead of time . Our vision is to make your visit to our Costa Maya port of call, Mahahual Mexico, the most enjoyable and memorable destination of your Caribbean Cruise. The owners have set it up to make it very comfortable and stress-free for the guests. Costa Maya cruise terminal can accommodate the worlds largest cruise liners (Royal Caribbeans Oasis Class) and has 4 berths in total. He pointed out towns and the history of the cruise port of Costa Maya. But RCL no allows me to snorkel or ATV, ah well. Any ideas for something cool to do there? If you're looking for a snorkel tour, make sure to visit the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, full of amazing tropical fish and coral formations. Only drawback is that you have to walk a long pier, make your way through the maze of port shops until you get outside the port to reach the rendezvous spot. Ride along the Costa Maya beautiful Beaches! We booked our Chacchoben and Kohunlich tours with a local company called The Native Choice. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. Viajes. Last I remember, Taxis were like $2 a person (but that could have changed). Display as a link instead, We figured we could just snorkel off the beach. . You support their bottomline while saving money for yourself too! You can get your Mayan ruins visit without the need to rush around. The ride takes between 50-60 minutes, subject to traffic. While you could technically visit the site on your own, having a guide provided a more in-depth look at the ruins and he was able to answer any questions I had. The Chacchoben ruins are part of an ancient Mayan city, with structures dating around 700 A.D. Chacchoben remained a ceremonial site for Mayans until 1847, at which point the Caste War began, leading to the eventual abandonment of the site. Started in 2010, Royal Caribbean Blog offers daily coverage of news and information related to the Royal Caribbean cruise line along with other relevant topics of cruising, such as entertainment, news, photo updates and more. The actual terminal is good and has an ok swimming pool area close to the ship, but excursions are limited. 12.5k. Thats the Island Marketing Ltd. difference! Photo courtesy of Cristina Madrid. The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. Required fields are marked *. Ultimately, since I would be spending the following day at the Nachi Cocom Beach Club in Cozumel, I decided to book an excursion to Chacchoben. The port of Costa Maya is located in the Yucatan peninsula in the state of Quintana Roo (Mexico), and is the only port in the Western Caribbean designed specifically for cruise ships. Pick up from the Port area of Costa Maya. We timed it. November 23, 2022 in Shore Excursions. Sorry for the age thing; but not right. If not, just leave blank, Excursion Focus: Chacchoben Ruins in Costa Maya, Spotted: Royal Caribbean offering shore excursion combination packages, Guide to visiting St. John on a Royal Caribbean cruise, Excursion Focus: British Colonial Hilton in Nassau, Bahamas, 5 cruise ship shore excursions I tried and instantly regretted, I cruised to a tiny town in Mexico youve probably never heard of, and it was the highlight of my cruise vacation. 2. Get a personal, up close experience featuring the local culture of Costa Maya during this exciting excursion to Chacchoben Village and the Seven Color Lagoon. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. We provide firsthand information on each and every excursion we offer and recommend the excursions that work best for you. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. You cannot paste images directly. We have excursions and tours for every activity level at every price point, so read our ratings and book your Costa Maya, Mexico Excursion today! If you cant find what you are looking for, you can contact us on our LIVE CHAT and chat with a knowledgeable member of our reservation staff to help you find what you are looking for. Disembark your cruise ship at the port of Casa Maya and embark on a shore excursion to the ancient Mayan city of Chacchoben. Is a Royal Caribbean Walt Disney World shore excursion a good idea. https://www.facebook.com/groups/179059140824734/?ref=share. There was a water park, but it closed during covid and has not reopened. This is perhaps the biggest thing that the cruise lines tour on why you should book with them. Valletta Cruise Port Guide (Malta), Things to Do, Shore Excursions, Port of Corfu Cruise Guide, Things to Do, Shore Excursions, Limassol Cruise Port Guide, Things to Do, Shore Excursions, Mykonos Cruise Port Guide, Things to Do, Shore Excursions, Split Cruise Port Guide (Croatia), Things to Do, Shore Excursions.