It has been a long time since I entertained you with a research rant (a couple of days anyway), so I thought I might post one this morning on a subject I've only seen broached in passing here previously. The Klan was responding to trends in their overwhelmingly white Protestant communities that were, in fact, not alien or foreign at all, but were the natural consequences of their own values and ideas. Fullerton police officers took him away from the angry crowd before fighting broke out and booked him for disturbing the peace. Some friends, including city attorney Albert Launer, interceded to obtain his release. According to Cocolthcos, the KKK had at least 1,200 members in Orange County at the height of its power in 1924. $7.64, $8.99 (5% off). Great! And for decades these Confederates wreaked havok in the south. It has been used, carriedand sharpend. . Read our Cookie Policy. Soooo, this is where I'm confused Codger. "The #148 pattern "Hunter's Mate" I find first listed in 1953. If this list exists, why has it never been published alongside stories like the one above? Excellent article. 23% of the Klan were oil workers, writes Cocoltchos. For mechanical, you're welcome to call in for a quote. In assessing the meaning and goals of the 1920s Ku Klux Klan in Orange County, Cocoltchos comes to some startling conclusions. Rather than portraying Eichmann as a vicious, bloodthirsty monster, Arendt portrayed the man as he wasordinary. Schrade knives are now being made in China and the quality is certainly not what it was during the many decades that the Schrade name was synonomous with American quality. Again, nice article. On the blade is the inscription `Schrade-Walden USA 148. That is why the Media has a bad name. I have raised my sons, with the participation of people of all cultures and with a heavy emphasis on basic human respect. I had heard of organized attempts by realtors to keep Mexicans from expanding home ownership outside of their neighborhoods and to keep Blacks from moving into NOC. They print articles from sources and do not check on the facts but rely on sources, even those of very, very, very young people who havent even lived on this earth long enough to appreciate all the inroads we have made to improve the lives of blacks. Were they democrats, republicans or a mixture of both. The fact that a man such as this could be involved in the destruction of millions of human beings shatters our neat categories, and forces us to consider profound moral questions like: what are the conditions under which an ordinary person can become complicit in atrocities? While the organization only allowed white Protestant Christians to join, its member- ship reflected a broad cross-section of the community's white Protestant Christians, who joined the hooded order for a variety of reasons. Schrade Walden #148 Hunting Knife w/Sheath Good used Schrade Walden Hunting Knife #148 - 9" long with a 4 3/4" blade - finger guard, plastic handle. Any ideas or knowledge of such activity in Orange County during those times? Ten of the eleven appointees were Klansmen. Good luck on your paper. KKK during the 1930s and onward. Schrade Knife Co Stag Brand Fixed Blade Knife. .. and if it's "Same material under different proprietary names" .(Stratawood & Wondawood) how does one know if it's a #148 or a #148WW?? Thanks! Etsy uses cookies and similar technologies to give you a better experience, enabling things like: Detailed information can be found in Etsys Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy and our Privacy Policy. The Anaheim council began firing city employees and replacing them, in most cases, with Klansmen. Shows only minor age/use related wear, surface scratches, etc. No. Annual subscription is only $39/year. 8 3/4 inches overall. Rich made a remark I Dont know who they are but the tennis shoes looked familiar. I had heard the interview was done through the Titan CSUF school newspaper. Racist attitudes were an integral part of the perceptions of the entire white population of the county, explains Coclotchos. Vintage Schrade - Walden NY USA 148 skinning, hunting knife. $125.00; Contact Seller Add to Wishlist. Request more information Additional Details. Fullerton Automotive Clinic is the Top Notch Mechanical Auto Repair and Auto Body Shop in Fullerton, CA. Im having trouble finding anything. Im sure the KKK was in Orange County, but I think the author of this story and the book she used are ridiculously flawed. Those are great questions. A ring of politicians ruled Anaheim.   United States   |   English (US)   |   $ (USD), remembering account, browser, and regional preferences, remembering privacy and security settings, personalized search, content, and recommendations, helping sellers understand their audience, showing relevant, targeted ads on and off Etsy. Oral histories (tape/cd) of the KKK are in the Oral History Center at Cal State Fullerton (CSUF). This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. Hi. The whole Ku Klux Klan debacle deeply divided the citizenry of Anaheim for the remainder of the decade. Id be surprised if there were lynchings in OC, but I know people who had Klan graffiti sprayed on their cars in Fullerton as recently as the 1990s. You must be logged in to contact sellers. While the Schrade Walden tang was changed in 73 Schrade had been in Ellenville since 1958. Fortunately we were transferred to Terminal Island and they both made friends of many cultures throughout their lives. Engine burned out. I found a short list of some of the members during that time.. What Im interested in is finding out which political party these men belong to.. We just gotta keep searching. Klan leaders and lecturers were drawing crowds in the thousands in Anaheim, Orange, and Fullerton. I'm afraid it's long gone.. daggum it lol, "If you read carefully, you will note that the phenolic resin wood handles date from the early sixties, not mid 1950's.". In fact in 2004 they will be 100 years old. at https://lccn.loc.gov/mm81029017 to reflect that membership list is not currently part of the collection. 19h. KKK should be deemed a terrorist organization. That is stamped on the tang on one side of the blade. Everything is beautiful (31) $449.89 $499.88 (10% off) FREE shipping Your quote The Klans leadership whose political affiliations were predictably Republican in a traditionally Republican county begs to differ from the reality that the Republican Party was created by Abe Lincoln to fight slavery and the KKK was started the the then Democratic party to scare Republicans into giving up. I am 82 years old and I can tell you that when I had a party, my best friends who were black and who lived in Compton did want to come out here (this was in the 60s) because of the reputation Orange County had again Blacks. .. ahhh, good to know Soooo, I'm kinda confused.. lolhelp me! are very nice with no nicks, chips, dings, or damage. This is a USA Schrade Walden 148S Deer Skinner. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I'm assuming the #148MM was NOT stamped on the knife? Thank you! The 148 was a solidly built, no non-sense knife that was well-suited as an all-around hunting/fishing/outdoors knife. The first KKK was formed in the aftermath of the Civil War by disgruntled and defeated Confederate soldiers who were upset about newly freed African Americans and other changes happening in the South during the period known as Reconstruction. Etsys 100% renewable electricity commitment includes the electricity used by the data centers that host Etsy.com, the Sell on Etsy app, and the Etsy app, as well as the electricity that powers Etsys global offices and employees working remotely from home in the US. J.C. HIGGINS BOWIE HUNTER SCHRADE WALDEN N.Y. U.S.A. Schrade Walden USA 1956-72 Red Spacers Fixed Blade Leather Handled Knife, VINTAGE SCHRADE WALDEN NY USA 144-L HUNTERS PRIDE HUNTING SURVIVAL BOWIE KNIFE, antique faucet bathroom sink | peck bros vtg victorian brass bath plumbing, antique faucet bathroom sink | peck bros vtg victorian kitchen plumbing deco, Schrade-Walden N.Y. USA Sears Bowie Hunter Fixed Blade Knife w/sheath, VINTAGE SCHRADE WALDEN WOOD HANDLE SINGLE BLADE CARVING tool KNIFE, Schrade Walden N.Y. U.S.A. Vintage # 744 Half Congress, Schrade Walden USA SS-700 Melon Tester fruit knife, imitation pearl handles =, Vintage SCHRADE WALDEN SS700 2 Blade Folding Fruit Melon Knife Pearl Handle, 1972 small Print Ad of Schrade Walden Uncle Henry Pocket Knife 171UH 897UH 285UH, Schrade Cut Co Walden NY Jackknife Jack Folding Pocket Manual Knife Ambidextrous, Vintage Schrade Walden 293 2 Blade Pocket Knife Trapper, Schrade Walden NY U.S.A. Hawkbill Pocket Knife, VINTAGE SCHRADE WALDEN RIGGER'S SAILOR'S KNIFE, # 735, vintage Schrade Walden folding pocket knife file engraved " J.A. Any questions, Please feel free to contact me. Klarna. People conveniently forget or are denied history. Youll see ad results based on factors like relevancy, and the amount sellers pay per click. Mexican Americans were generally seen as a subservient, cheap labor force, the unacknowledged back-bone of the countys well-known citrus industry. They, like all subsequent versions of the KKK, believed in whitesupremacy. Yes! And it could have been unaffiliated skinhead wannabes just using the KKK reputation to intimidate. Dr.Wald is a plastic surgeon in private practice in Fullerton, California. This is a USA Schrade Walden 148S Deer Skinner. It was 9 1/4" overall with a saber ground carbon steel 5" blade, aluminum alloy guard, Stratawood handle with black and white spacers on each end, and plain (now called birds head) pommel. Did you happen to ever find some information on that? While the organization only allowed white Protestant Christians to join, its member- ship reflected a broad cross-section of the communitys white Protestant Christians, who joined the hooded order for a variety of reasons. Comparing them by their faculties of memory, reason, and imagination, Jefferson wrote in 1782, it appears to me that in memory they are equal to the whites; in reason much inferior, as I think one could scarcely be found capable of tracing and comprehending the investigations of Euclid: and that in imagination they are dull, tasteless, and anomalous.. Just the #148? Adept Collectibles has provided the following additional shipping details:We will combine shipping at a discount for multiple orders. Cut USA Paul Revere Comerative Stockman, American Eagle Bicentennial Series Stockman (Schrade made) 1 of a series of 5 Thomas Jefferson, American Eagle Bicentennial Stockman (Schrade made) 1 of a series of 5 Patrick Henry, American Eagle Bicentennial Stockman (Schrade made) 1 of a set of 5 George Washington, Schrade Cut Co.1976 Bicentennial Whittlers Commemorating Kentucky & Tennessee Serial # 1343, Schrade Walden USA NY 1969 Keen Kutter 100 year anniversary stockman, Geo. I hope I live to see that. Car & Truck Safety & Security Accessories, Vintage Schrade Walden 148 Stacked Leather Fixed Blade Hunting Knife Made In USA, Vintage Schrade-Walden 148 Everlast Edge Tungsten Carbide Knife and Sheath, Schrade Walden New York USA Model 148 Fixed Blade Knife With Sheath Vintage, Vintage SCHRADE-WALDEN -148 Fixed Blade Knife.- with Sheath, Vintage/Antique 1940s-60s Schrade-Walden 148 NY USA Fixed Blade Hunting Knife, SCHRADE - WALDEN N.Y. U.S.A. 148 VINTAGE HUNTING KNIFE. The anti-labor attitudes of the elite played a substantial role in the Klans development in Northern Orange County. It's a fixed blade measuring 9 1/4" long. I find it unsettling that the younger generation feels that they are compelled to educate their captive audience. I say captive because we have no other choice. Sharp with no edge deformation. I'll cover any additional insurance required by the purchase price. If you read carefully, you will note that the phenolic resin wood handles date from the early sixties, not mid 1950's. Unfortunately I cant document it by now. Stop yelling and READ IT AGAIN. Do I kneed an appointment for an estimate or do you accept walk-ins? The knife comes with its Original Sheath. Nice knife! A Brief History of the Fullerton Observer, Comment on 2:00PM Water Cooler 4/13/2022 by OIFVet The World of Elon Musk, Comment on 2:00PM Water Cooler 4/13/2022 by VietnamVet The World of Elon Musk, The Los Angeles Mayor Who Was Also a KKK Leader ~ L.A. TACO, https://www.anaheim.net/2473/Anaheim-Heritage-Center, Armelin: American Truth and Reconciliation |, Santa Ana's lawn bowling can be traced back to Southern slavers |, https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-klan-rally-in-anaheim-erupts-in-violence-one-man-stabbed-20160227-story.html, Remembering Nixonland: How the Modern Republican Party Was Born in Orange County - Fullerton Observer. $15 2 bids. was honest and didn't let an amateur adjuster bully him - he sticks up for his customers and what's right. Keep this in mind if trying to contact me as well. : SCHRADE WALDEN NY USA 148 Fixed Blade Knife w/Stacked Leather Handle & Leather Sheath, SPRING HILL CUTLERY (eBay: bargainseller02), Schrade Tan Leather Sheath For An LB7 or similar 5" Knife Mint NOS Never Folded, Fabulous Vintage SCHRADE Grand Dad's Old Timer, Limited 1st Edition, 1974 Etched Classic Stock Knife, PAIR OF 2 SCHRADE U.S.A. LARGE STAG CLASP CUSTER & TRAIL TEARS, *TWO* Schrade+ USA 825 Stainless Steel Stockman's - Razor Blade Steel - NIB, LIMITED EDITION SCHRADE USA MAC TOOLS 1985 47th ANNIVERSARY KNIFE IN BOX, GEO SCHRADE PULL BALL SWITCH 4 KNIVES 1927-44, Schrade USA Avatar AV22 Double Blade Liner Lockback, SCHRADE U.S.A. SC502 SCRIMSHAW RAM SHARPFINGER HIGH CARBON STEEL FIXED BLADE HUNTING KNIFE & SHEATH, SCHRADE OLD TIMER 152 SHARPFINGER U.S.A. Etsy uses cookies and similar technologies to give you a better experience, enabling things like: Detailed information can be found in Etsys Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy and our Privacy Policy. Seven of the eighteen councilmen who served on the council between 1918 and 1930 were Klansmen, writes Cocoltchos. Japanese farmers were also the targets of the white populations racism: As early as 1919 the Orange County Farm Bureau advocated the total exclusion of Japanese immigrants and forever barring these immigrants from acquiring American citizenship.. (10% off), Keep collections to yourself or inspire other shoppers! For Sale By: Joe's Resto's . Although it dealt the Klan a serious blow, the loss of Myers didnt end the Klan in Orange County. The Plain Dealer noted that three days after the election a white covered auto bearing four figures in white drove through the streetsannouncing an address at the Christian Tabernacle by Colonel J. Total length approx 9.25" Please see pics for closer detail and email with any questions. Click here to view a copy of the print edition. This knife has been in storage for nearly 48 years and is in as new condition. The sheath is the original and remains very nice as well. Some of these leaders formed the U.S.A. club, in an attempt to counter the Klansclaim of being 100 percent American.. Offered for your consideration is a fine vintage Schrade-Walden model 148 "Hunter's Mate" hunting knife. The blade looks as though it was lightly cleaned a long time ago. (70% off), Sale Price 48.77 Anaheim Methodist pastor Geissinger criticized the Klan as revolting and totally un-American and stated that bigotry and religious hatred had no place in Anaheim. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZHCJUw9Qj0, Authorities investigating officer involved shooting in Fullerton, AT HOME WITH THE HOMELESS: A day in the shelterhood, Angelos & Vincis bids Fullerton farewell, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT6zdxsdETk. You've already signed up for some newsletters, but you haven't confirmed your address. May I ask, who did Christopher Cocoltchos cite as the source of this information? Moore, Judge French, and Superintendent of Schools Plummer [yes, that Louis Plummer] joined the Klan in the latter part of 1923, and R.A. Mardsen entered in mid-1924. SCHRADE WALDEN 148 FIXED BLADE KNIFE. If you are not already aware, a membership list of the Anaheim Ku Klux Klan is in the custody of the Anaheim Heritage Center Public Library, https://www.anaheim.net/2473/Anaheim-Heritage-Center . The handle is very nice and shows very little wear. Take full advantage of our site features by enabling JavaScript. Printed on the other is a signature of a "Ted Williams" and the words "Everlast Edge" and "Tungsten Carbide". Vintage Schrade Walden NY 808 Knife Small Stockman 3 Blade USA 1970s Excellent! Western moved from Boulder to Longmont, then was sold to Coleman, then to Camillus. This type of data sharing may be considered a sale of information under California privacy laws. Highlights Vintage from the 1960s Materials: Steel, Leather Description Shipping and return policies Model - 148 hunting knife 1970's PERFECT.Blade is 5 inches. Turning off personalized advertising opts you out of these sales. Learn more in our Privacy Policy., Help Center, and Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy. Im interested in finding KKK history in OC because knowledge is power and its the only way we can truly solve racism. Your reference to Republicans being in the KKK is objectively false, based on historical records. It sold for $4.50 in 1955. Vintage Schrade Walden. This blade shape was very common and a lot of companies made varients, including Western. He stood up and called the speaker a liar., Several Klansmen and their friends began encircling OHanlon and yelling,get that guy and where is a tar bucket?'. was so sweet and helpful, and the mechanic was also quick and efficient. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The blade is free of grinder marks or sharpening abrasions and has a nice look. In 1925 a well-known Klan speaker addressed a crowd estimated at 5,000 people, in what is now Amerige Park in Fullerton. I have sub-titled this article Notes on the Banality of Evil because it is a reference to philosopher Hannah Arendts groundbreaking book Eichmann in Jerusalem: Notes on the Banality of Evil which is about the trial of Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann, who was one of the chief facilitators of the Holocaust. And then there was Fullerton: Councilman W.A. It sounds from your article like it was mostly moralistic intolerance rather than overt racism that prompted Klan membership in OC. Always by Democrats. The knife is in Good Collectable Condition. This is one of Schrade's classic patterns that was introduced in the 1950's and discontinued in 1973. The only part of this article I see as a problem is that the author reveals their political leanings, hilighting republicans in the Klan. *SCHRADE-WALDEN NY USA* Hunting/Skinning Knife # 148 W/ Sheath, 1960s Schrade-walden 148 Hunting Knife With Sheath, Schrade Walden 148 Hunting Knife With Sheath, 2023 - WorthPoint Corporation | 5 Concourse Parkway NE, Suite 2900. The collection was donated to the Library in 1954, and our records reflect that a membership list was part of the collection at that time. By the mid-1920s, an estimated 2-4 million Americans had joined their local Klavern, in cities and towns all over Americanot just in the South, but also in the West. VINTAGE SCHRADE WALDEN NY USA 165OLD TIMER WOODSMAN HUNTING SKINNING BOWIE KNIFE, VINTAGE SCHRADE WALDEN WOOD HANDLE SINGLE BLADE CARVING tool KNIFE, VINTAGE SCHRADE- WALDEN (#147) HUNTING/SKINNING KNIFE W/ORIGINAL SHEATH- NICE, Schrade Walden USA SS-700 Melon Tester fruit knife, imitation pearl handles =, Schrade-Walden N.Y. USA Sears Bowie Hunter Fixed Blade Knife w/sheath, Schrade Walden USA 1956-72 Red Spacers Fixed Blade Leather Handled Knife, VINTAGE SCHRADE WALDEN NY USA 144-L HUNTERS PRIDE HUNTING SURVIVAL BOWIE KNIFE, Vintage Schrade Walden Pocket Knife 3 5/8 Inches Closed 3 Blades #895, Beautiful Vintage ~SCHRADE WALDEN N.Y.USA Lot of 12 knives. This item ships free to the US. Best wishes. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-klan-rally-in-anaheim-erupts-in-violence-one-man-stabbed-20160227-story.html. Please. Ernest used the pages of his newspaper to promote Klan ideas and activities. Learn more. But the least we can do is verify this guys source. We have archived the catalogs on line. Any feedback is appreciated. Im curious as to whether there were any Klan atrocities committed in Orange County, or whether the OC Klan expressed approval of the atrocities of the Klan in the South and elsewhere? Yet, fear is a powerful motivator. SheeshI was going by the photo. not the textshame on me lol and the blade is NOT the same as the 148 Can I delete this post?? The boys were with us (ages 7 & 11) and wanted to know what was going on. Schrade Walden NY USA H-15 Stacked Leather Fixed Blade Sheath Knife - Stacked Leather & Plastic Handles - No Cracks - Has some Very Light Patina - Very Nice Unused Condition with Leather Sheath - 9 3/4 inches overall.