These rules apply every time you pick up or put down a firearm. My wife can easily handle and shoot this gun, and since I am on the road allot this is important. Test targets had to be moved up close to capture the fast-spreading BB shot. He started the site to explore the ethics, morality, business, politics, culture, technology, practice, strategy, dangers and fun of guns. I hope to never have to but Ive seen with my own eyes what this ammunition does to Ballistic gell out to 10 yards. Well all be much more content pulling out one of these little beauties for CQC. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data. But then, why would you buy a Governor to shoot .45s? Do the same full moon clips from the Governor, fit the S&W 625? NOTE: In some Revolvers the adapter may miss-fire in double action, but will fire in single action. ammo. My guess is that you could also fire .410 slugs so load alternately slug fine shot slug fine shot. Drinking the beer is fun, and shooting the cans is funner. Robert Farago is the former publisher of The Truth About Guns (TTAG). with the Federal 000 buckshot ammo. I have several .45s in my collection but I prefer the Super .38. Thankyou, this was a very helpful review for someone looking for a good home defense weapon. Those of us that understand that ammo will run out well and I mean well before the guns that use them will disappear. Its a great gun, no issues, I own 9 of them and wouldnt give up even one. The ammo has to be brand specific to run the gun flawlessly. Customize This * * So lets call the Governor a light heavyweight whose solidity (and rubber grips) offers maximum handgun firepower with minimal recoil. Far too much ego in this. Do not use any type of heat like a hair dryer. Load-up the Governor with six .45 COLT or .45ACP cartridges (with moon clips) and it's just as accurate as any of S&Ws Venti-sized revolvers. 1791 Gunleather RVH-3 OWB Belt Holster for Z Frame Revolvers Right Hand Draw Lea. I am now thinking that it would be nice to have an insert made in .357 maximum so the Governor could pal along with the Savage 24 vs in .357 maximum / 20 ga. Louis, FTM Fluid Transfer Monolithic net. Again, that's at a distance of 10 feet. To be honest, Im really getting a little tired of all these reviews. No. I love the versatility of this weapon, the quality and the price. Grip: Synthetic Pattern 15 ft: 5.5 x 5 in This holster is for those who prefer one without a thumb break, yet still has good retention. It fits the Governor great. Using federal triple 000 buck as a defense round, you are basically shooting 4 32 caliber bullets at ONCE to every ONE 9 mm. At really close range, a tumbling 45 LC lead slug isnt a bad outcome either. The DeSantis is precision molded to fit the Smith & Wesson Governor. They arent for long distance shooting or home defense (thats what my 12ga is for). While retention keeps the gun in the holster, you also want the gun to be easily accessible. Both constitute double actions. This single action, top break, .44 caliber was initially manufactured for a U.S. government contract for 1,000 guns. Once again, the Winchester PDX-1 produced the best five-shot averages at 5.25 inches. Splitting the difference between a handgun and a shotgun with a Smith & Wesson Governor doesnt make much sense. Too bad all the written reviews toss doubt on this weapon and make people like me, 95% of the public sound like a bunch of idiots. Dozens of water moccasins and rattlers have become snake goop to say nothing of a few small feral hogs ended up as lunch. A truck driver may not need that same level of retention because the majority of his or her time is spent sitting behind the wheel and the gun and holster is there for any emergency situation. I would rather have a high-capacity striker-fired pistol, AR15, or shotgun first if I could, but the S&W Governor fits into the category of a Swiss Army Tinker knife. Front sight is much more visible than the stock sight, coul dbe self installed but felt more comfortable having a gunsmith install for $45. Wound cavity (in): 1.30 Most Stainless nowadays is so poorly made any magnet will pick it up. HAND CANNON ! Let me assure you my compassion vanishes when my family is in danger. It has a place for up-close-and-personal situations where a wide pattern is useful, shallow penetration is acceptable and a quick loss of pellet energy is desirable. Cold Shower Face And Body Wipes | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, Review: Taurus G3 Tactical | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, Video Review: Browning Citori Hunter Grade II Over/Under Shotgun | NRA Family, Video Review: Savage 93 Minimalist Rifle | NRA Family, Video Review: Springfield Armory XD-M Elite 4.5 OSP in 10mm Auto | NRA Family, Make Mine Metal: The Alloy-Frame KelTec P15 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Smith & Wesson Performance Center M&P9 M2.0 Competitor | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, NRA Women | New for 2022: 20-Gauge Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus, Preview: Springfield Armory 1911 DS Double-Stack 9 mm Pistol Lineup | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, Find More Great NRA Publications Perfect For Every Interest, Discover Everything That The NRA Has To Offer. Why not the Smith & Wesson Governor? Whatever, dude. Try the RUBBER BALL buckshot ammunition found online. For now my 1st round is a PDX1 followed by MPA (5 projectile) and MEA rounds. Click here to see their full range of targets.]. However, if you are looking for a specialty purpose gun to mix in with the public, you may want to check into some other choices of handgun. WTH? BTW, my AMT Backup is spitting these 165 gr. This issue occurs when the ammo that is used in this revolver is not brand specific. Likewise the Remington HD ultimate home defense 410 ( four 00 buckshot) is also surprisingly scattered, in great contrast the 2-1/2 inch federal home defense (4 000 buckshot) 410 shell is devastating and tight groups out to much better distances. It wasnt long before S&W began production of their first large (N frame) double action revolver, the Triple lock. Both the 410 shotshells and the storied 45 Colt bullet can be fired from the Taurus Judge revolver. could always deepen it for the 460, for my private use. This article will help you to learn about the Smith & Wesson Governor problemsand solutions. Required fields are marked *. If youre shooting shotshell, the recoil is noticeably manageable. Why do guns always have to be thought of for a specific purpose? I also find Speer gold dot self defense hollowpoint rounds for 45 Long are awesome with a lot of expansion. But let someone try and carjack me, up close and personal. Still loving my Gov. The Governor is no exception. Its simple math. What about Taurus coping S&W. No more. But then you dont need them, do you? As you look for a holster, keep in mind things like your dominant hand, your body type, how you want to carry, and what material you prefer the holster to be made from. It is built using a Z-frame. There are various reasons that users may face the locked-up gun problem. After all, didnt that preacher say the world is ending in October this time-for real? But probably, you guys have no other options? The ammo should be used that is specifically designed for the revolver platforms. Of the .45 ACP loads tested in the Governor, Black Hill's 230-grain jacketed hollow points beat out the competition with 2.25-inch groups at 7 yards, and 5-inch groups at 25 yards. Each accessory below is manufactured using the highest quality materials right here in the U.S.A.! It also looks nicer than this beast. Sal, I was hot to buy one of these, but when I found out that these new two and full moon clips are completely different from the myriads of half moon clips out there, it cooled my jets. Bad news for tugs! In my car, my LC9s Who shoots faster? Where I really see the lightweight Scandium alloy Governor as a relevant firearm is in the hiking, trail, packing, or trunk gun category that can be slipped into the pack. Other shooters reject this idea because of the birdshot's low level of strike energy and penetration per pellet. Obviously you know good music. Leather that comes in contact with sweat may need to be cleaned more often to protect the holster from break down. Now granted, 45 long may not be a common enough round to come across, but 45 ACP and 410 sure as heck is. Maybe I just wanted the thumb-breaking and nail-ripping experience of removing spent .45 ACP rounds from full moon clips when I forgot the moon clip loader. To each their own. Emphatically NO! over whats printed on their boxes. I may have to reload some 185 grains in the 45 colt and see how it works! I wish every review of a S&W revolver would include a comment about the Hillary Hole. Penetration (in): 27.0 So I will compromise on the closest thing to a perfect pistol that I have seen yet! The single-action trigger broke at a crisp 4-pounds, 8-ounces of pressure, with the smooth, clean, double-action trigger that Smith & Wesson is famous for. While I would rather have a .500 S&W to face down a charging bear, the Governor with 300 gr. :o) But I also have a Glock .45 in the truck and I carry a Bodyguard .380. Governor. They are one nasty hollow pointed 45 cartridge. anyone who says that the 410 shell isnt [emailprotected]@ needs to walk into my house at midnight and see for themselves if they would still make that stupid comment. Notably the Governor is not suitable for the insane 1200 ft/lb Buffalo Bore .45 Colt +P rounds or any other .45 Colt +P rounds, but there are plenty of standard .45 Colt defensive, bonded hunting, and hollow-point rounds with energy in the 550 ft/lb+ range. Some wonder about muzzle direction when your gun is sitting in a holster. [Targets courtesyBirchwood Casey. Only not yet. Ive posted above, that my AMT 45 DAO, will spit +P 165 gr. Being able to own a gun that can fire 3 different type of cartridges is an amazing feat and yes. At a distance of 10 feet, the Governor produced 1-inch groups with the defense discs, and 7.5-inch groups with the BB shot. That would be a survivalist. Otherwise, the Governor appeals to two types of buyers: homeowners who dont know any better and enthusiasts who couldnt care less. That will help in stopping the light primer strikes when using this gun. The cylinder stops rotating. That versatility appeals to me since nobody can predict what ammo will be available once the ammo makers cease production and the gun stores have been emptied out and burned. I thought why would anyone want a gun that shoots .410, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt and none of them extremely well as a dedicated gun? No hint of misfires with a variety of practice ammo. The majority of my guns are semi-automatic. OVERALL RATING * * * * Those with enough intelligence to actually understand that in time of need, ammo wont be had at the local Walmart. When testing the new Governor with 410 shotgun ammunition, there were sporadic light priming strikes. Forty five years later, and theyve become a leader in their industry. Maybe I needed something to shoot down misguided drones, use up the surplus ammo from a retired cowboy, or prove to my 1911 friends that the .45 ACP cartridge is not an inherently accurate round. IMHO you got one thing wrong and that was that the Governor can shoot 3 different calibers. COPYRIGHT 2021, THETRUTHABOUTGUNS.COM. Having successfully manufactured double action, top break revolvers, the solid frame Hand Ejector was the logical next step. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. A.R.15s, as well as 9 mm pistols and probably 12 gauge shotguns, are three of the most common weapons that everyone will have at their disposal, if they have them at all, should troubling times come for us. What I did buy, is the first Remmie R-51 to hit town, here. Please stay there. Did I mention its one of the most FUN to shoot gun Ive ever owned. ARMSCORs RIA 5.0 ST semi-automatic 9 mm Luger pistol represents the companys first handgun to be designed and manufactured here in the United States. This being said my Governor is a part of my personal rotation. The BPM in the open top Walker conversions are getting up to 1300fps, with 777 replica powder. Performance & security by Cloudflare. The rifling makes the discs very accurate with a nice spread but the BBs just go too wild beyond 10-15 feet for me to feel comfortable. We chat things that go bang often. If youre looking for a large caliber self-defense handgun, a ballistic Swiss Army knife isnt your best bet. . I have a .22 hornet / .410 adapter as well for times when I am traveling with a Springfield Scout M6-22Hornet/.410 along with the Governor. If so, you can use a brass rod or a dowel to tap it back into the cylinder. And Im here to tell you now that one shot of PDX1 OR Federal .410 at 12 yards or less from the Gov. It may be by only a couple of the BBs but I can be assured that the drama playing out now has got the attackers attention. Load-up the Governor with six .45 COLT or .45ACP cartridges (with moon clips) and its just as accurate as any of S&Ws Venti-sized revolvers. I did have a Taurus Judge, but I traded it for the S&W Governor. Like many people, I saw a potential survival appeal of having a gun that can shoot three different rounds including shotshells and with caliber conversion inserts can even shoot everything from .22LR to .38 Special. Handguns are blessed with small size, light weight, your choice of caliber/recoil strengths, short and long-range accuracy, and plenty openetration. But even those require quick reloads. Just simply boring to read. Optics. I found that a light fast bullet would easily punch a hole right through it, while big heavy bullets simply bounced off. Despite the bulky appearance of the longer cylinder and frame, the revolver has good balance and pointability. A covered trigger guard keeps objects, including fingers, out of the way of the trigger. The barrel and cylinder materials of both the governor and bodyguard 38 are made of stainless steel and stainless PVD respectively. With shotshells of shot a pattern or hole of some sort is delivered downrange with the accuracy limits of a 5-inch sawed-off shotgun. Your IP: : +1-847-513-6201 Revolver | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, The Rifleman Report: To The Patriotic American, Editors Choice: Rock Island Armory 5.0 ST, Preview: Burdette Custom Holsters Detective OWB SA-35 Leather Holster, The Keefe Report: True Velocity's Leap | An Official Journal Of The NRA, The Keefe Report: On The Range With An American Hero | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Trust But Verify: Function-Checking Your Guns | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Rifleman Review: Winchester Wildcat 22 SR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, WATCH: 2022 National Sporting Clays Championship | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, WATCH: Colt Python Revolver History | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, I Have This Old Gun: Colt Military 1908 Pocket Hammerless | An Official Journal Of The NRA, I Have This Old Gun: Terry Carbine | An Official Journal Of The NRA, I Have This Old Gun: U.S. Army M1871 Rolling Block | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Armed Citizen protected by Smith & Wesson, NRA Women | The Armed Citizen April 28, 2023, The Armed Citizen April 28, 2023 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, The Armed Citizen April 24, 2023 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, The Armed Citizen April 21, 2023 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Smith & Wesson Model 350 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Whats in the Washington State Gun Ban | An Official Journal Of The NRA, NRA Hunters' Leadership Forum | Hunters and Beyond: NRA Women Are All Under One Roof, NRA Hunters' Leadership Forum | Colorado Bill Defining Wolves as Experimental Population Heads to House Floor Today, Hardware: Henry Single Shot Turkey Shotgun | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Review: Duke Cannon Supply Co. Joe, when you get a chance, will you chrono a 45ACP round or two? . I use *Winchester Super-X Ammunition 45 Colt (Long Colt) 225 Grain Silvertip Hollow Point Muzzle Velocity: 920 fps Muzzle Energy: 423 ft. lbs. Where are the, An apology from the Shot Report Staff and Memorial to Glen Zediker, On to the Senate The House passes H.R. One of the most fun guns to shoot that I own? I started by clearing the pistol and placing it on safe, and then pulling the trigger. Rear Sight: Fixed If I had but one hand gun to take with me for survival, it would be my Governor. It is plentiful and makes it easy with the loading system. I did handle a six shot Raging Judge two days ago, and its a good war club, like the Walker Colt. or Judge: Youre gonna drop dead or be so badly wounded from copper poisoning that youll flee or surrender. it is very accurate and a dangerous weapon. Style * * * * In keeping with its intended purpose, the shell was tested using a 12x18-inch silhouette target. Your email address will not be published. 9, No. Groups ranged from 2 inches to 3.15 inches, with the best five-shot averages produced by Winchester's PDX-1 225-grain jacketed hollow points at 2.5 inches. But nothing to protect me in my driveway going out to my car! Most of the users who had been using Remington for a couple of years had faced this problem. .410 Specialty LoadsYou might think birdshot and buckshot just about cover it for .410 loads, but two companies have decided to change the rules. Never EVER thought Id see TOPs name used to describe a revolvermaybe a Swiss watchbut not a revolver. I removed the slide and lightly filed down the small ridge on the . What the hell is a Montecristo? Guy. Could not be more pleased with this purchase and how much better it is than the stock front sight on the S&W Stainless Governor. My wife, all of 5 feet 110 pounds can spray some serious lead and destruction with this gun at all the greatest distances in my home and yard. Its not a real transfer bar safety like the Tauruss have. Review the actual products performance and leave out YOUR personal opinion as to whether or not YOU think theres a purpose for this gun, that all people who buy it are simply Bozo the clown types that dont know any better. I will add my two cents worth, that I own many handguns in many calibers and have a CCL to legally tote. AMT 45DAO will spit 45ACP Cor Bons out at transonic velocities. Your email address will not be published. (In the hope I am never forced to use them for the second reason.) I happen to like these, vs the .45 Long, as they are quick loaders. The grip options are different as well. It will reek havoc on someone who thinks a senior citizen is fair game.