Call for millions to take part in 'Homage of the People' to King Charles at the coronation sparks backlash NANA AKUA: Why I'm thrilled by the invitation to pledge my 'true allegiance' to King Charles III, MICK HUME: An oath of allegiance to the King? ,Josimar Vieira de Sousa Pirolo The argument reportedly ended with Jordan ejecting Abreu. A 29-year-old California soccer player died 15-days after a large fight erupted during a match over a disagreement with the referee's decision, according to the Oxnard Police Department. Are you a deadset writing legend? Adam Abdallah, 25, has been charged with affray and wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. - The family of a Westland soccer referee killed doing what he loved on the soccer field continues to speak out about what happened to him in hopes of preventing verbal and physical. 1 May 2023 2:51pm. The 31-year-0ld player was pronounced dead when he later arrived to. Ill be volunteering and I will work up and up. Toronto police have not yet released information about any suspects in Alvarados death. dailymail.co.uk - Peter Vincent 1h. As the abuse ramped up Mr Yaghi asked one of the players who he was and they told him he was an ex-player who had been suspended. Man in court for shocking attack on soccer referee. Recycling royals: How Charles will re-use chairs made for the coronations of his mother in 1953 and 'How can I fix this?' Otvio sent off player Josemir Santos Abreu, 31, who refused to leave the field and began a fight with the referee. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, Ryan Broderick BuzzFeed News Reporter Posted on July 7, 2013, 9:45 am Another player, 25-year-old Walter Zarate, was injured in the attack, although he's expected to survive.http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2016/02/17/referee-shot-killed-red-card-soccer/80497628/The violent act is not the first of its kind and not too unfamiliar to football in Argentina. John Bieniewicz was refereeing an amateur match at a park in the. Best Perth pubs for pre-footy beers or a cheeky cocktail, West Australian Newspapers Limited 2023. MsYaghi recalled that trying to explain the alleged incident to her children was difficult because her three youngest sons weren't old enough to properly understand the situation. Police have been ordered to prepare a brief of evidence in time for the next court mention on June 28. The match . The Birdwood footballer's brother Jack Loiacono confirmed the young man died on Sunday afternoon in hospital, after the collision on Saturday. This is one of the worst attacks Ive ever seen at any sporting event at any level, he told AAP in a statement. Sports Minister Steve Kamper, a past president of Sydney Olympic Football Club, was among those offering support to Mr Yaghi. Mr Yaghi, who also helps out with rookie referees and is a level two assessor for match officials, revealed he often hears stories about young whistle-blowers being abused. [3][7] When fans watching the game, including Abreu's friends and family, found out about his death,[8] they invaded the pitch[9] and stoned the referee, before decapitating him, quartering him,[10] and putting his head on a stake in the pitch. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. A man is in custody after an alleged attack on a Sydney soccer referee the NSW premier has branded shocking. Khoder Yaghi had been refereeing Photo: AAP/Joe Castro, Jack Gramenz and Luke Costin (AAP) he wouldn't move away'. Following Monday's hours-long surgery, his recovery is expected to take up to eight weeks. ___ More AP soccer . Disturbing footage has captured the moment a referee was left with a broken jaw and bloodied mouth in a brutal brawl. When you hear later on that he was suspended for two years for the same behaviour against other referees and players unfortunately and he does that, Mr Yaghi told Jayes. I might lose the feeling in my lips for good, the front lips, and this was really upsetting, he said. Comment below!JOIN THE TYTSPORTS TEAM and SUBSCRIBE! permissions/licensing, please go to: www.TorontoStarReprints.com. Find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out. We cater to families and there were a lot of children at the game, Ramirez said. Mr Abdullah presented himself to Bankstown Police Station on Sunday where he was charged withwounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and affray. Lee Moran. Speaking to Sky News Australia before undergoing surgery on his jaw at Liverpool Hospital, Mr Yaghi hid his face because he did not want his extended family or children to see the horrific injuries he suffered on Friday night. Feb 16, 2016, 10:17 AM EST. Football NSW said it had been made aware of the alleged attack and will provide ongoing support to the Bankstown Football Association. Governing body Football NSW on Sunday condemned the attack and said it would support the local competition, Bankstown District Amateur Football Association, with its investigation. A soccer player is on the lam in Argentina after he allegedly shot and killed a referee who sent him off. 2013 death of a Brazilian football referee, "Referee beheaded in Brazil after killing player", "Fans decapitate soccer referee after he stabs, kills player:police", "Brazil referee decapitated after stabbing player", "Brazilian Referee Beheaded by Fans for Killing Player", "Brazilian mob decapitates soccer referee after he stabs player", "Brazilian football referee stoned to death, body hacked by fans: report", "Player & referee murdered after match in Brazil", "Soccer referee decapitated after stabbing player to death in Brazil", "Fans kill and quarter soccer referee in Brazil", "Brazilian Soccer Fans Decapitate Ref After He Stabs, Kills Player", "Brazilian soccer ref beheaded by fans after fatally stabbing player", "Decapitated Referee Otavio da Silva Quartered For Killing Josenir Abreu", "Fans kill and quarter football referee in Brazil", "Barbarie: un rbitro mat a un jugador y fue asesinado por los hinchas", "Soccer Referee Beheaded During Amateur Match In Brazil", "Extremely Graphic Video Surfaces Of Beheaded Brazilian Soccer Referee", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Murder_of_Otvio_Jordo_da_Silva&oldid=1152502169, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Otvio Jordo da Silva Cantanhede, Josemir Santos Abreu, This page was last edited on 30 April 2023, at 16:36. Mr Abdullah, who was suspended from playing with theGreenacre club for two years for on-field fighting,is alleged to have confronted Mr Yaghi after the final whistle. Sports Minister Steve Kamper, a past president of Sydney Olympic Football Club, said he had sought assurances from governing body Football NSW that the strongest possible action would be taken over the attack on Mr Yaghi. A referee has revealed he could have died in an alleged brutal on-field bashing during a local soccer match in Sydney last week. [3][11][12][13][14] Police chief Valter Costa was quoted as saying "one crime will never justify another". -PR Handout Image. I'm an astrology expert and it's obvious why Meghan Markle is skipping King Charles' coronation. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. A soccer referee has broken his jaw in a vicious attack at a Sydney match on Friday night. Get the best email in soccer. Khodr Yaghi, 45, underwent reconstructive surgery in a Sydney hospital on Monday, three days after he was bashed by a spectator after a match in Sydney's southwest. He wanted to go on and on and he wouldnt come face-to-face, he came for my back he king hit me on my neck and this is when I lost a bit of control and went down on the ground. All This comp is for you! "(We're) really overwhelmed by the kindness of the community," she told AAP on Monday. More than 300 people were killed and more than 500 injured in a riot in Lima, Peru, set off by a referee's decision to nullify Peru's equalizing goal in the final minutes of an Olympic . From his hospital bed on Sunday, Mr Yaghi told Nine News: 'I thought I was going to die.'. According to police, two other men over the age of 20 were also shot and taken to hospital, one with life-threatening injuries. I might lose the sense of feeling on my lips for good this was very upsetting, he said. It's his passion forever. Star Newspapers Limited and/or its licensors. A man charged over the brutal assault of a soccer official in Sydney is an amateur boxer who played on the same team as a celebrity chauffeur who was recently shot dead.. Adam Abdullah, who was . 'It hurts me more because [MrAbdullah] is from my community, he's from my religion, he's Lebanese like me,' he said. Meanwhile In Europe, a Dutch volunteer linesman is beaten to death, a teenage Spanish referee is violently assaulted, and in Germany a match . Subscribe to the news that matters to you. 0:27 A referee in Argentina was shot and killed by a player he ejected from a game on Sunday, according to published report. Meghan Markle's father says he is 'open to any kind of conversation' to repair his Practising for Charles' big day! Despite suffering life-threatening injuries Mr Yaghi insisted he will continue to referee and help young officials. He had been a sideline official in Friday's match between Greenacre Eagles and Padstow Hornets and was helped by players from both teams. Alvarado is the citys 56th homicide victim of the year. Khodr Yaghi, 45, underwent reconstructive surgery in a Sydney hospital on Monday, three days after he was bashed by a spectator after a match in Sydney's southwest. The surgery is expected to take two to three hours, with a recovery time of up to eight weeks. It goes without saying that this kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable.". Police have been ordered to prepare a brief of evidence in time for the next court mention on June 28. I just asked him to move away. Abdallah was a suspended player for the Eagles, which withdrew from the rest of the mens premier league winter season and promised to help the association impose appropriate sanctions. Mr Yaghi was also told by doctors he may be left with permanent damage. The surgery could take up to three hours and his recovery could take up to eight weeks but he remains determined to fulfil his role as a volunteer at the FIFA Womens World Cup which kicks off in Sydney in July, despite the threat of permanent injury. "As a result of an incident that occurred following the conclusion of the match, our club has made the decision to withdraw the team from the competition for the remainder of the 2023 season. The player, retrieved a gun out of his bag after he received a red. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Newspapers Limited, 8 Spadina Avenue, 10th Floor, Toronto, ON M5V 0S8. A recent post by Edwin Bohrquez Marquez highlighted Alvarados contributions to the sport in his native Colombia, describing him in Spanish as a great human being who dedicated his life to his personal and sports growth, as well as his daughters and many other athletes.. According to Ramirez, the gunman was a spectator who attempted to shoot one of the players. "By the way, this is the first time Ive seen him in my life, he starts threatening me and abusing me in my language and to be honest this is very offensive. A press release from La Ligas board read: Our organization has always been committed to sportsmanship, solidarity, and healthy competition. Soccer officials ensure that the game's rules are followed in every match. Market data provided by Factset. According to The Guardian, local reports said the player returned with a gun and came back to the pitch shooting Flores three . The violent outburst is not the first time Mr Abdallah has been involved in an abusive incident at a soccer match. This was a disgusting and cowardly attack. On Monday morning, his wife Fay Yaghi told Radio 2GB that her husband is still hooked up to machines in hospital while awaiting an operation to reconstruct his jaw - which was broken in three places. "The committee at Greenacre Eagles F.C reaffirm our position that all forms of violence have no place in our game and will continue to deal with such instances with the utmost seriousness," it said. Playing tourist! The match officials waited before the leaving the field. Adam Abdallah, 25, from Villawood presented himself to Bankstown police on Sunday afternoon after a video of Friday's attack went viral on social media, is yet to plead to charges including wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. His recovery could take up to eight weeks but he remains determined to fulfil his role as a volunteer at the FIFA Womens World Cup which kicks off in Sydney in July, despite the threat of permanent injury. Khodr Yaghi, 45, is in Liverpool Hospital after having three teeth knocked out and his jaw broken in three places when he was attacked by a spectator at Padstow in Sydneys south-west on Friday. 'Soccer should be a place that is safe,' she said. Friends and family of the deceased subsequently rushed the field, tied up Jordan, 20, fatally stoned him, quartered his body, and then, according to the Associated Press, which cited local media accounts of the murder, staked the referee's head at midfield of the soccer pitch.