[Online]Available at: https://web.archive.org/web/20120228065645/http://www.theoutlaws.com/gold1.htm, Speigel, L., 2015. What is the origin of the legend of the Christed Son who was born of a virgin on December 25th? Thetford Priory, Lost Resting Place of Henry VIIIs Illegitimate Son, Homo Naledi: A Mysterious Extinct Human Species (Video), The Truth Behind the Christ Myth: Ancient Origins of the Often Used Legend Part I, The Incredible Odyssey of Mankind: Ape to Human in a Million Years (Video). loved this man!!! There was no specific trail marker at the site indicated by the doughnut symbol. His work had a more significant impact on prospectors and treasure seekers than any other writer. Superstition Mountains - Peralta Stone Tablet Maps For more than 120 years, the legend of the Lost Dutchman Mine has haunted the minds and souls of treasure seekers throughout the world. Reading about the cross on the back wall of the cave, I would have removed it or took a pick and sledge hammer to the back wall and see if it was a false room, but being there would be someone's estimated $200,000,000 in gold someone made up, I could care less and I would have gotten it out of there if it was in there if I found it! JavaScript is disabled. by Jim Hatt Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:23 pm, Post As we passed through the mountains west of Globe, the rain became sporadic. Grave site of Jacob "Dutchman" Waltz, a German immigrant who it in the 19th century discovered a gold mine in Arizona and kept its location a secret, hence the "Lost Dutchman's Mine". Come prepared. She took photographs while I tried to correlate what I saw on the ground with the symbols and lines on the map. Smells like bat shit. (We made this place a rest stop. The producers are trying to create the drama to get people to watch and it works. FIND YOUR WAY OUTSIDE is a trademark of AllTrails, LLC. I was so pleased that I had strapped my ankle up beforehand! In some cases, the infection spreads throughout the body, known as disseminated disease. Chris C Jones / CC BY-SA When it finally stopped, the water running off the rocks was a glorious sight, worth the trip in itself. Humm, Why is there even a ladder up there? Regardless of the number of times we saw it, this view always had the power to stop conversation. I had been looking in the wrong place! This new evidence is linked to the stone tablets and presents another interpretation as to their meaning. He had just acquired this tent at a garage sale. I was especially fascinated by the symbols and the details of the map. Stone Crosses Front and Back Views, courtesy Superstition Mountain Historical Society The stones consist of "two red sandstone tablets and a heart-shaped rock made of red quartzite. For the second time, I completely gave up on finding the mine. I have hiked, backpacked and canyoneered the Superstition Mountains for more than 20 years and know that area very well. The North American Deserts I put the whole thing out of my mind. Others hold a firm belief in the existence in this mine. The elevation gain is 800 feet--half of that is in the final approach which may involve some all-fours hiking. Said to be the most famous lost mine of all time, it continues to draw prospectors to the Superstition Mountains of Arizona in search of its rich gold. Translated, the words appear to say, "horse of holy faith" but actually mean "knight of holy faith," which is a clue to the identity of the person who created the Peralta Stones; and "I pasture north of the river," which is a clue to the trails starting point. Here are some additional stories that may be of interest to you. The person said that the information was unavailable. Tough. Archaeologists in Denmark are celebrating the discovery of the oldest inscription mentioning the god Odin. Another variation of Waltzs story is told by John Handley , he ran across three Mexicans working a gold mine deep in the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix. When the procession returned, the beasts bore no burden. On the next trip, my wife and I planned to take pictures from a short way up the small canyon. If it could be proven that the producers or any employee planted that cross, and represented it as authentic, there is some liability. Piper spent his years looking for that Jesuit Cache. After about 1.5 miles of hiking, you'll reach the obvious Wave cave. We had to leave. One of the stones, sometimes called the "Priest Map Stone," shows an image of a priest (or a witch) with a cross next to a few brief sentences in Spanish with misspellings. At this point, I suspected that a crescent landmark on the Peralta Stone map would show the way to the mine. I love the Superstition Mountains, but the view doesn't change much and I was looking for a change of scenery after a while. Aside from the rickety ladder there is the issue of two things, having the proper gear to enter this kind of environment, like a respirator, clothing, and then not disturbing the bats. Eventually, the Peraltas stopped venturing onto the mountains, and all the maps and knowledge of the mines exact location were lost. The first part of the hike uses Jacob's Crosscut Trail starting from the Broadway trailhead. She was known for her intelligence, beauty, and powerful political acumen. Sign up for Legend of the Superstition Mountains email updates:http://www.history.com/emails/sign-up\"Legend of the Superstition MountainsSeason 1Episode 6The ClimbHISTORY, now reaching more than 98 million homes, is the leading destination for award-winning original series and specials that connect viewers with history in an informative, immersive, and entertaining manner across all platforms. Some believe they hid away their records of mines, treasures and ore deposits before leaving the country. A curved arrow on a mysterious map inscribed on stone surfaces pointed to the identical place, confirming the location. Ever wonder how long and how many people it took to haul 200 million in gold up to that little cave? Rest in peace to my ankles. Jesse Capen, a bellhop from Denver, disappeared three years ago after heading off to find the 'Lost Dutchman's' gold mine in the Superstition Mountains, Arizona - which has evaded adventurers for . In the following pages are photographs of these stone maps, with interpretations of the meaning of the symbols and signs carved on them. (Video), When Faith and Power Clash: How Christianity Divided the Roman Empire (Video), Medieval Maverick: Roger Bacon's Quest for Knowledge and Truth, The Life and Times of Mansa Musa: The Richest Man in History, Fathoming the Ruins of Yanmen Shan Mountain and the Biggest Cut Rocks in the World, Sacred Treasure Hunt: In Pursuit of the Elusive Ark of the Covenant (Video). Length: 4.6 mi Est. I could see into the bottom of the large canyon 500 feet below. The only things I found were some prehistoric potsherds, including a part of a vessels rim. Visit us at HISTORY.com for more info. Huge boulders, brush and cacti covered the area. No shade, no bathrooms, no water, loose rocky trail. Some of the dry waterfalls should be done with ropes. I'm out there 20 or 30 times a year. Different versions of the story portray a variety of outcomes. The Significance of the Sacred Seal of Solomon and its Symbols, Unleashing the Fury of the Khopesh: A Look at Egypts Deadliest Weapon (Video). A container of that size, I guessed, must have been used to store food. It would happen regularly for the next three years, a time during which my wife would continue to believe in me even if she couldnt really understand me. The Peralta Stones Eric proposes that the symbols they've encountered were placed in the area by Jesuits in this collection of scenes from \"Dead Man's Gold.\"Subscribe for more from Legend of the Superstition Mountains: http://histv.co/SubscribeHistoryYTWatch exclusive videos and stream full episodes:http://www.history.com/shows/legend-of-the-superstition-mountains#SuperstitionMountainsCheck out our Facebook games and other exclusive content:https://www.facebook.com/HistoryKeep up to date with everything HISTORY by following us on Twitter:https://twitter.com/historyDon't miss a new episode! I wasnt going to fall for it. DesertUSA has obtained another theory about the location of the Lost Dutchman Mine. It extended two miles in length and a mile in height. Not super hard. From the Phoenix area, take US-60 East, leaving the city limits. The locals, however, refused to help them in their quest, as they believed that the mountains was the home of the Thunder God, and therefore sacred ground that could not be trespassed on. We were only about five feet from the rim of the canyon wall, which had more than one hundred foot vertical drop. The next day we went out and set to work. After leaving Apache Junction, continue about 8.5 miles, turning left onto signed Peralta Road (FR 77). Mike I always wonder why?? Too much information matched. Jesuit Treasure in the Superstitions. That was the first time I believed I might be able to solve the mystery, but by now, I was completely exhausted. Rocky beginning, great views of the Superstition Mountains, loved walking through a forest of saguaros. Was going to do the broadway cave, but I was done. There are white arrows spray painted on rocks to help guide you towards your destination. I can see how Jacob's Crossing can be a great beginner's hike, but, for me, the climb to Broadway Cave was the highlight. First mile was very rocky loose rocks. A Visual Tour (Video), 10 Jaw-dropping Engineering Marvels of the Inca Empire, Pompeii Unveiled: Discovering the City's Most Amazing Secrets (Video), Gold, Salt, and Islam: The Story of Koumbi Saleh, What Did Ancient Greece Really Look Like? How we found the Peralta Treasures A pair of underwear were chilling in it. The Controversial Lapedo Child A Neanderthal / Human Hybrid? Thoths Storm: New Evidence for Ancient Egyptians in Ireland? People are flocking to take a social media worthy picture of the signature wave formation inside this cave. A short distance down the canyon, I found a cave that fit a description I had read. Reading about the cross on the back wall of the cave, I would have removed it or took a pick and sledge hammer to the back wall and see if it was a false room, but being there would be someone's estimated $200,000,000 in gold someone made up, I could care less and I would have gotten it out of there if it was in there if I found it! Monument Canyon and Broadway Cave via Jacob's Trail, Brittlebush Trail, Huff and Puff Trail, and Palo Verde Trail Loop, Wedding Cake Hill via Lost Goldmine Trail, Superstition Peak 5057 via Hieroglyphic Trail, Superstition Peak 5057 (South Ascent Route), Hieroglyphic and Lost Goldmine East Loop via Superstition Peak, Carney, Hieroglyphic, Ridgeline, Lost Goldmine Loop, Wedding Cake Hill and Turks Cap Hill Loop Trail. I will bet the cross is gone when they return. This time, we found a relatively easy route to the location. Copyright 1996-document.write( new Date().getFullYear() ); DesertUSA.com and Digital West Media, Inc. My area here has been getting a little stale of late, and while going through some books, I reread some things that I thought might make for some good conversation. The Spanish were adamant, and went up the mountains, despite being warned that they would be punished by the god if they were to do so. I kept seeing a reflection behind us from something metallic, like a rifle or pistol. When we returned home, my wife sent her photographs off to be developed. That cave, however, might serve as a landmark for the Lost Dutchman. This was no ordinary pair of eyes. Dogs are welcome, but must be on a leash. As Greek mythology goes, the universe was once a big soup of nothingness. It isnt much to look at. This curse also protects the treasure of the Superstitions, whose secret location the Apache are said to know. Once I descended from the top, I felt as if I had entered a whole new world. All necessary for long-term habitation. The moody weather evoked a sense of mystery and danger, and I recalled the Apache curse associated with the Superstition Mountains. Then turned to gravel with a few rocks. The pea-sized pebbles that rolled underfoot were everywhere. There's a large cairn or two at the intersection. We never found out what happened. Both the canyons were brushy with a lot of boulders, making them almost impassable, but one did have a ledge a possible trail? Many tales of the Lost Dutchman mention an Apache curse which protects the sacred burial ground of Apache Indians. (Only the West bound traffic stops.). Earlier you get there, the better, both because of crowd and heat, Went on a Great night hike. In both instances, it gave cryptic instructions for how to follow the trail. 7 Smartphone Apps to Improve Your Camping Experience Here are some additional stories that may be of interest to you: I think the popularity of this place came to be from a film done on the Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine aired on the History Channel. Finally, I did discover a boulder that would serve as a bridge to the trail which would lead to the end of the point, just where I believed I wanted to be. How to Turn Your Smartphone into a Survival Tool Each block is approximately 8.25" (~ 21 cm) by 14" (~35.6 cm) and 2" thick, weighing about 25 lbs. That was a good climb and really enjoyable. The rocks would have to be cleared before we could work safely in the area below. shrsl_ShareASale_liveWid_Init(40280, 2496875, 'shrsl_ShareASale_liveWid_wideSkyScraper_populate'); Please remember to disable your adblocker to view content from our sponsors - Thank you. We've got hundreds of well documented Arizona hikes. That was well done, ill watch a few when it comes back on.. For example. Sign up for Legend of the Superstition Mountains email updates:http://www.history.com/emails/sign-upLegend of the Superstition MountainsSeason 1Episode 5Dead Man's GoldHISTORY, now reaching more than 98 million homes, is the leading destination for award-winning original series and specials that connect viewers with history in an informative, immersive, and entertaining manner across all platforms.