Pour cream cheese mixture into graham cracker crust, then top with cherry pie filling. Place the pie on a baking sheet (for ease moving the pie in and out of the oven) and bake until the filling is set, 55 to 60 minutes. Read my full disclosure policy. Ingredients for the Southern sweet potato pie filling, 1 pound of sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed (equals about 3 cups when softened and peeled), 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted (or vegan butter), Ingredients for the Southern sweet potato pie frosting (homemade cream cheese topping), Instructions for a Southern sweet potato pie recipe, See my recipe HERE for almond flour homemade pie crust. Do you serve sweet potato pie hot or cold? I Made It Nutrition Facts (per serving) When the cooking time is finished, allow a natural pressure release for at least 12 minutes. Id love to hear how it turns out if you try it! Pour the sweet potato mixture into the pie crust. Theres another bowl to the right of the pie crust and thats confectioners sugar for the whipped cream. I can live with that. Paula Deens recipe is a sweet potato pie from the South. Your email address will not be published. Cool. Oh hi! Delicious. Making it again this year! After all, this recipe calls for eggs and milk. Place the pie crust on the preheated baking sheet. African-Americans today have continued the tradition of sweet potato pie withholiday dinners. Sweet potato pie originated in the Southern US states among the African American community. This will ensure each slice stay in perfect shape when you cut into the pie. Nothing beats fresh potatoes for this incredible Southern sweet potato pie recipe. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees . Kitchen equipment for a Southern sweet potato pie recipe. 2. This is a pie that deserves a special spot on your dessert buffet. Marsha, Rate the recipe: 5 stars means you loved it, 1 star means you really disliked it. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Line the frozen pie crust with parchment paper, large enough to cover the crust completely. Break sweet potato flesh apart and place in a bowl. Or you can pour it into a Ziplock bag and freeze it for up to 3 months. Gonna Want Seconds is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. While the potatoes are cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Funny, I looked at this particular recipe video (usually I do not) and your pics and my bowl looked the same until the milk was added, Glad they dissolved white while baking and that the pie turned out nicely! Preheat oven to 400F. I cannot wait to make this for Thanksgiving! Hi Claire, I agree I just added the weight to the ingredients. In large bowl, beat sweet potato layer ingredients with wire whisk. Refrigerate until chilled, 3 to 4 hours. Sweet potatoes contain starch granules that need to be cooked to be broken down and taste sweet. refrigerated and kept it out for a couple hours to have it come to room temp. Underbaking will prevent it from cutting well. To avoid needing to thicken the pie filling, make sure your sweet potato mixture still has some texture and its not just a thin, runny pure. This method doesnt caramelize the potato, but once you blend it all into the filling, you wont be able to tell the difference. NOT BEING RUDE BUT VERY DISAPPOINTED! document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I have made this before with great success, but today for some reason the batter turned grainy. The picture showing the ingredients needed to make the sweet potato pie, has both brown and white sugar. This means its pie baking time. Continue to whip until it forms stiff peaks. Place sweet potatoes in food processor; cover and process until smooth. Steam until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 1 hour. You may not want it any other way! I think you could probably get away with using almond milk here; just keep in mind that it may impact the texture of the filling. 2023 /TM General Mills All Rights Reserved, crust from 1 package (12 oz) frozen Pillsbury Deep Dish Pie Crusts (2 Count). Hi B.R., You could but you definitely wont be able to fit all of the filling in the pie shell. Purple sweet potatoes just might be one of the prettiest vegetables on the planet! Hi Jacquie, Im so sorry you had trouble with this! Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until sweet potatoes are fork-tender. The recipe is simple, made with sweet potatoes, brown sugar, seasonal spices, and cream cheese in a graham cracker crust. Beat in melted butter, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg until combined. So although this recipe may be called Southern sweet potato pie, its stillBlack folks foodat its finest! Pour the sweet potato fillingmixture into the prepared pie crust. Continue to cook at 1-minute intervals until tender. Oh, the smell of a Southern sweet potato pie and its warm spices in the air. I had leftover cut up yams from Thanksgiving that I froze so I now have no idea of their weight from raw. You could also make mini-Black folks sweet potato pies with any leftover pie filling. Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving! When combined, these spices create an excellent balance. Black folks' Southern pecan pie recipe is an old-fashioned African American soul food classic that yields an abundance of sweet flavor with each bite. AKA, Southern charm. In contrast, sweet potato pie has more texture, and the filling is airier and fluffier. Reduce oven temperature to 350F. Pour the filling into the par-baked pie crust, cover the edges with a strip of foil. Still delicious, it lacks Southern soul food sugar and spices: brown sugar, ground cloves, and nutmeg. Posted by: Sweet Basil on October 15, 2018, Filed under: Cheesecake, Dessert, Family Reunion Food, Pie. These are some of my familys favorites. Going to make this tomorrow . Roasting takes a bit longer but is completely hands-off, and you dont have to worry about peeling or slicing them. or shave chocolate over pied once it has cooled. Its hard to say what might have gone wrong without seeing it are you able to send me a photo of the pie at jennifer@onceuponachef.com? Warning:Once you enjoy sweet potato pie with the addition of a homemade cream cheese topping. Ground cloves have an aromatic sweet aroma and taste. Open the Instant Pot lid and fill the stainless-steel inner pot with water to the mark. Before serving, slice the pie into wedges and top each slice with a dollop of whipped cream. You can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours. Chill the pie shell until firm before placing it in the oven. Its even better if you could allow it to cool overnight and refrigerate it before serving. Freeze the pie or individual slices in an airtight container for six to seven months. LTK affiliate privacy policy HERE, This site uses cookies to deliver its services & analyze traffic. Thank you! Use extra flour to keep dough from sticking to the counter and roller. Remove the pie shield from the edges 15-20 minutes before the pie is finished baking. In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes with sugar, evaporated milk, butter, egg, vanilla, spices and salt. This is by far my favorite recipe site. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. baking dish. Let set and place in refrigerator. Hope you enjoy the pie if you make it! Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan; add water to cover. Stir in orange peel. They are indeed purple skin and flesh, and they dont lose their color when cooked. 1.75 cups. You dont even need to taste it to know its delicious. Thanks. This recipe uses roasted, instead of boiled sweet potatoes. Your email address will not be published. Meanwhile, continue to bake the sweet potatoes for another 15 - 30 minutes until cooked through. Mix in sour cream, 1/4 cup cream, and 1 1/2 . Noticed in the picture looks like there is brown sugar as well as white put do not see white sugar in listed ingredients. Given this is a dessert and not a savory dish, the amounts usually are more important to the success of the dish. You can find out more about our use, change your default settings, and withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future by visiting Cookies Settings, which can also be found in the footer of the site. #1 New Best Seller on Amazon Raised in the Kitchen is now available! Add egg; beat well. If you have extra sweet potato mash, remove it and save it for another use. package (8 oz) cream cheese, not softened, cup mashed cooked dark orange sweet potatoes (about 3/4 lb uncooked). Bake until a knife inserted in center goes through easily, about 1 hour. Place the baking sheet with the pie crust and the sweet potatoes into the oven. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. From what youre saying, it sounds like perhaps the eggs started to cook a bit giving the batter that grainy appearance. Can you use purple sweet potatoes in place of regular sweet potatoes? I had doubled the recipe to begin with and sadly ended up throwing the 1st pie away! Why does your sweet potato pie fall apart? For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt. Close the Instant Pot lid (make sure the valve is up in the position for sealing) and pressure cook on high for 12 minutes to loosen the potato skin. Add 1 cups of the mashed sweet potatoes (use any remaining sweet potatoes for another purpose or discard). Our mission is to connect with people just like you through sharing stories and good fresh food. For filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sweet potato and cream cheese at high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Can you use purple sweet potatoes in place of regular sweet potatoes? Your email address will not be published. Press crumbs into the container of your choice (jar, ramekin, etc) with the back of a spoon. To make an orange rind garnish, cut a thin slice of orange and remove the rind with a paring knife. The delicious pie is a perfect addition to holiday dessert tables and easy to make for a family meal or autumn dinner party. This is the PERFECT Sweet Potato Pie Recipe! Hi Rosie, I havent tried it this way, but I think you could get away with it. You can buy one or make the deep-dish graham cracker crust from scratch. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Creamy cheesecake, smooth sweet potato and tangy orange zest are the delicious new pie flavor combo you never knew your family needed. making your sweet potato pie. Getmore great recipes by ordering your subscription toCooking with Paula Deentoday! Hi Jano, While I think it should work, I cant say for sure as I havent tried it. (Feel free to roast the sweet potatoes several days ahead of time and store the flesh in an airtight container in the refrigerator until needed.). Sweet potato pie is also easy to make ahead. Beat until smooth. Sweet potato is one of my favorite things to eat. Directions Cream together condensed milk and cream cheese in a mixing bowl until smooth. It all looked good and creamy until I dumped in the sweet potato, but as soon as the potato hit the egg/sugar/butter mixture, it lost its creaminess and there were grainy white specks throughout the batter. Bake for 50-6o minutes. Wipe it off with a damp cloth after each slice and cut cleanly through the bottom of your pie. If you have any left over, you can discard or use for something else. Pin the below picture to your Soul Food Recipes Pinterest Board! Add the scrubbed sweet potatoes to the pot of water. Thank you for your easy to follow recipes that always turn out fantastic!!! So the eggs and brown sugar help to bind the sweet potatoes and turn the mixture into a custard-like consistency. This can be prepared the day before. (Filling will be soft, but will set while cooling.) Yams are vegetables similar to sweet potatoes but come from the African motherland. It has become one of our familys favorites, so I make it often. Store covered in refrigerator. Youll want to stick with sweet potatoes (so the ones with the orange flesh). , or you can use a store-bought pie crust, dough, or pie shell that may or may not come with its own pie pan. Flavored with ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, the filling simply needs a few minutes of work from your electric beater. Add eggs; mix well. But if you cant wait the entire day, wait at least four hours before cutting it into pieces. Whisk together softened cream cheese and condensed milk, then the eggs, one at a time. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Also, light brown sugar or dark brown sugar is best for this pie recipe. Cold pastry going into a hot oven is key to a flaky crust.. A Black folks sweet potato pie recipe is a delightful. Now, celebrity chef Paula Deen shares her secrets for transforming ordinary meals into memorable occasions inCooking with Paula Deen. Chill pie for 2-3 hours or overnight. This Sweet Potato Pie with Cheesecake Filling is the creamiest you will ever taste. Still, there are some significant differences between the two. In that case, its a good idea to make your sweet potato pie masterpiece ahead of time. Its too good to feel guilty and my taste buds are too happy. A good indicator is seeing the center of the pie filling puffing in the oven. In small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar on low speed until well blended. What did you think of this soul food Southern sweet potato pie recipe? When microwaving, be sure to wrap it well in plastic wrap, this will steam the potato and minimize moisture lost which can render it dry. Unlike some pie recipes, there is no need to preheat your empty pie crust for this Southern sweet potato pie recipe. Its a cross between an traditional sweet potato pie and a sweet potato cheesecake. Refrigerate until the filling is completely set, preferably overnight, before slicing. Perfectly Southern Sweet Potato Pie [+Video]. Otherwise, regular unsalted butter and cow's milk work great. beautiful website!The step-by-step photos are lovely!!! Stir in eggs. Lastly to doctor up the sweet potato Pie. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or beaters), beat the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until the mixture is moistened and crumbly, about 1 minute. Spice combo and quantity is perfect. Even more pies to satisfy your sweet tooth and to keep you busy this baking season! Drain potatoes and place into a large mixing bowl. The weather is finally cooling down where I am (SoCal!) If you have excess batter, fill small ramekins and bake the ramekins along with the pie. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into chunks. Instead, put it back in the oven for five-minute intervals until the filling is puffed and firm in the center. Let stand 10 minutes; peel. Bake 10 minutes; remove from oven and set aside. Bring campfire smores inside during cold weather with a flavor explosion of a pie. Cover the crust with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day. Check the potatoes by piercing it with a paring knife or fork in the thickest part of the potato, if the knife or fork goes through easily, it is done. Place a large piece of parchment paper over the frozen pie dough, place pie weights on top or pour dry beans on top to fill the whole pie crust. Bake in jacket until soft (about 45 minutes) at 425 degrees F. When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and slice crosswise to prevent. A legacy of Southern cooking the Black way. Add the sweetened condensed milk (1 can), orange zest (1teaspoon), ground cinnamon (1teaspoon), ground nutmeg (1/2teaspoon), ground ginger (1/4teaspoon), ground cloves (1/8teaspoon), salt (1/4teaspoon), vanilla extract (1teaspoon), and eggs (2) and continue to beat on medium until evenly combined. All the Best The Soul Food Pot & Shaunda Necole may earn compensation from advertising, affiliate marketing links, brand collaborations and sponsored posts at no cost to you. Add flour, sugar and salt in a small mixing bowl and mix thoroughly with a, Take the disk of pie dough out of the fridge and roll into a circle about 2 larger than your pie dish.