Please try again. Required fields are marked *. Six years later, thanks to a bestselling book and a growing media career, Jason has become a cultural lightning rod, placing Angela near the spotlight she worked so carefully to avoid. CRIME & LEGAL THRILLER, by She went to her house to find out the truth, Kerry threatened to tell everyone about her past, and Angela killed her. Alafair Burke, author of The Ex and . Try again. 1.What were your initial impression of Angela? last domestic thriller on the bestseller list are going to be happy with this one, a gimmick-free . Why or why not? Fiction / Crime : Export Citation: Copyright 2020 by Bookends. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. Reviewed in the United States on June 7, 2022, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on February 4, 2018, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on November 4, 2020, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on January 5, 2019, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on October 3, 2019, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on April 14, 2022. influencers in the know since 1933. & Once your package is ready for pickup, you'll receive an email and app notification. She is also the co-author of several novels with Mary Higgins Clark. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. Got really excited about this book, however it just didnt do it for me. it just lacked something. puts Sgt. Its free and takes less than 10 seconds! And why on earth was Vodyanov carrying Tempes own contact information? There was a problem loading your book clubs. To her surprise, Jason, a brilliant economics professor at NYU, had other "Now she was going to find out how much Jason knew about his wife. Amazon has encountered an error. THE BETTER SISTER. In addition to the standalone novels that have earned her a . And shes skilled at keeping the surprises accelerating, right to the last line. Tampa Bay Times, Alafair Burke has been one of our finest suspense novelists for some time now, but in The Wife she takes new risks, and the result is her best novel yet. CT News, Alafair Burke executes a plot twist at the end of The Wife that left this reviewer gasping in awe. Dayton Daily News. They're just normal peoplewith secrets. Which character did you like the most? Buy The Wife Main by Burke, Alafair (ISBN: 9780571328192) from Amazon's Book Store. Was it a page- turner? A woman who suffered extreme trauma in her teen years learns that her celebrity husband may be a sexual predator. Please choose a different delivery location. To her surprise, Jason, a brilliant economics professor at NYU, had other plans, and they married the following summer. This might be the most gripping, insightful work from the best-selling author Alafair Burke yet. This has all the makings of a standout novel. , This might be the most gripping, insightful work from the best-selling author Alafair Burke yet. Then comes the fly in the ointment, an intern named Rachel who files a complaint at the NYPD Special Victims Unit claiming that Jason made inappropriate sexual suggestions at the office. in which a woman must make the impossible choice between defending her husband and saving herself. She poses a seemingly impossible, if undeniably compelling, challenge: a woman must either save her life or defend her husband, but not both. Entertainment Weekly, A timely, riveting, and deeply resonant psychological suspense novel. Library Journal, Gripping. Karin Slaughter, author of Pieces of You, Twisty and schemey. Burke knows what shes doing. Seattle Times, Written by a former prosecutor with a genius for plot, this thrill ride of a novel takes a hard look at loyalty and the violence a secret can causeespecially when that secret involves a revered public figure accused of rape. O, The Oprah Magazine, A subtly sneaky, emotionally complex, and utterly addictive novel of psychological suspense, The Wife delivers on all fronts. A graduate of Stanford Law School and a former Deputy District Attorney in Portland, Oregon, Alafair . MYSTERY & DETECTIVE | Hope Miller lost her memory after a horrific car accident 15 years ago. This might be the most gripping, insightful work from the best-selling author Alafair Burke yet. Brief content visible, double tap to read full content. Author is a good writer and knows how to present a story in a manner that keeps you engaged. , ISBN-10 Maybe it was all the legal part I found boring, nothing kept Got really excited about this book, however it just didnt do it for me. it just lacked something. In her latest book, The Wife, she uses that talent to tell the story of Angela and her husband Jason, who is accused of sexual harassment by two women. I have been deeply disappointed in the last several murder/ psychological novels I have read. But when Kerry disappears, Angela is forced to take a closer lookat both the man she married and the women she chose not to believe. As the story explodes in the media and on the internet, Angelas reaction is a bit different than one might expect: How long could Jasons 'scandal' make the rounds before someone started to wonder why his wife kept such a low profile? Why, indeed. The Wife exceeded all my expectations part psychological thriller, part domestic drama with a splash of legal thriller, this made for highly addictive listening (I purchased the paperback and then ended up listening to the audiobook). Wyatt Foster front and center in this overly complicated thriller, while corporate security expertand Fosters new girlfriendTessa Leoni, from the 2011Love You More, plays a distant second fiddle. She poses a seemingly impossible, if undeniably compelling, challenge: a woman must either save her life or defend her husband, but not both., bestselling author Alafair Burke, a stunning domestic thriller in the vein of. What would you do to protect your daughter and how far would you go? "Alafair Burke executes a plot twist at the end of The Wife that left this reviewer gasping in awe." Dayton Daily News. Fraud. The detective, Corinne Duncan, figured it out and started looking for her. Enhance Your Book Club: Check out Summary of The Wife by Alafair Burke: Conversation Starters. Karin Slaughter | Criminal (Will Trent #6), Karin Slaughter | Snatched (Will Trent #5.5). Alafair Burke is the New York Times, Edgar-nominated author of fourteen crime novels, including The Ex, The Wife, The Better Sister, and the forthcoming Find Me. It is being adapted as a feature film, with Alafair writing the screenplay. Using your mobile phone camera - scan the code below and download the Kindle app. What was your least favorite part in the book? Burke is (was?) Read instantly on your browser with Kindle for Web. From New York Times bestselling author Alafair Burke, a stunning domestic thriller in the vein of Behind Closed Doors and The Woman in Cabin 10in which a woman must make the impossible choice between defending her husband and saving herself. A former prosecutor, she now teaches criminal law and lives in Manhattan and East Hampton. : : I really enjoyed this story, full of drama and suspense ,I reall didnt expect the outcome it was really surprising! The fans who put Burke's ( The Wife, 2018, etc.) But even worse is the way the solution to the mystery is revealed. But when Kerry disappears, Angela is forced to take a closer lookat both the man she married and the women she chose not to believe. The issue of sexual harassment and assault gets a new spin in Alafair Burkes gripping new novel, Startlingly timely. Sensational and sly. , For your group if: You like your #MeToo meme as a fast-paced narrative. . Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram if you're prepared for a healthy dose of dog photos along with your book news. Her 2016 novel, THE EX, was nominated for an Edgar Award for Best Novel. GONE! The Wife contains no shortage of plot twists; even seasoned suspense fans will find themselves caught off guard by Burkes zigs and zags. Bookreporter.com, Burkes female characters are always very involving, with big, strong voices. Gillian Flynn, author of Gone Girl, [A] page-turner. Classic domestic-thriller elementsthe too-perfect couple, the unreliable narrator, the troubled pastare given a good workout in this satisfying round of Whos the Psycho? Kirkus, [A] roller-coaster of a domestic thriller. Publishers Weekly, [Burke] brings authenticity to the legal intricacies of the plot. Help others learn more about this product by uploading a video! Was there anything in the book that surprised you? Having said that, though, it does end with Corrine realizing that while everyone might believe that all is fine, this is not necessarily true! Forget about solving all these crimes; the signal triumph here is (spoiler) the heroines survival. This might be the most gripping, insightful work from the best-selling author Alafair Burke yet. Showboat Medical Examiner Margot Heavner makes it clear that, breaking with her departments earlier practice (The Bone Collection, 2016, etc. Im not much on romance novels, yet I was hooked on this surreal suspenseful recounting of a love decent poolside read but not much of substance, Reviewed in the United States on February 19, 2023. But even worse is the way the solution to the mystery is revealed. Reviewed in the United States on April 26, 2018, decent poolside read but not much of substance, Reviewed in the United States on February 19, 2023. Categories: in which a woman must make the impossible choice between defending her husband and saving herself. Burke always comes through with twisty plots and strong female characters, but shes at the top of her game here. Lisa Scottoline, author of Exposed, A wonderfully taut psychological thriller . Storytelling at its best. Michael Connelly, Burke is earning a reputation as one of the most nuanced, compelling authors working today. Crime Reads, With plot twists and turns to the very end, this is a tantalizing follow-up to The Ex that will keep pages turning. Booklist, Alafair Burke always delivers. Shows as new in description, but is obviously not. After reading The Wife, would you recommend it and who to? THRILLER | Perhaps a novel way to reveal the killer but I would have preferred to see someone figure out what happened. Alafair Burke A genuine shocker, sneaky and smart. . The Wife exceeded all my expectations part psychological thriller, part domestic drama with a splash of legal thriller, this made for highly addictive listening (I purchased the paperback and then ended up listening to the audiobook). A second line of narration follows Detective Corinne Duncan as she investigates the complaint, which blows up a few days later when a second woman comes forward with a much more serious accusation. Pin. I'll just say I felt like I'd been played by the time I got to the end. It is being adapted as a feature film, with Alafair writing the screenplay. . Breaking and entering. Did it surprise you when you found out the secret she was trying to hide? As the details of Nicoles original injuryshe suspiciously fell down both her basement and front stairs within the span of a few monthsemerge, Foster and the reader become more, rather than less, confused. Trouble signing in? This much-anticipated follow-up to Burkes Edgar-nominated. From New York Times bestselling author Alafair Burke, a stunning domestic thriller in the vein of Behind Closed Doors and The Woman in Cabin 10in which a woman must make the impossible choice between defending her husband and saving herself. So I was delighted to find this gem! Gardner tacks on so many twists that even the most astute reader will be confused, and even the intriguing resolution, when by This has all the makings of a standout novel. , This might be the most gripping, insightful work from the best-selling author Alafair Burke yet. Alafair Burke. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. Alafair's novels grow out of her experience as a prosecutor in America's police precincts and criminal courtrooms, and have been featured by The Today Show, People Magazine, The New York Times, O Magazine, MSNBC, The Washington Post, USA Today, and The Chicago Sun-Times. It is nominated for an Edgar Award for Best Novel. She leads a privileged . The Ending: Alex wrote a letter to Hope absolving her and Jess of any crime (written before he died, but was delivered to Hope at the end of the book). But when Kerry disappears, Angela is forced to take a closer lookat both the man she married and the women she chose not to believe. Categories: Book Club . Summary of The Wife by Alafair Burke: Conversation Starters, Finlay Donovan Is Killing It Book Club Discussion Questions, Finlay Donovan Is Killing It By Elle Cosimano, Dava Shastris Last Day Book Club Discussion Questions, Dava Shastris Last Day By Kirthana Ramisetti, Yellow Wife Book Club Discussion Questions, A Woman Is No Man Book Club Discussion Questions, The Extraordinary Life Of Sam Hell Book Club Discussion Questions, The Seven Husbands Of Evelyn Hugo Book Club Discussion Questions. What a shocking ending! The plot was well-thought out, and had an extremely satisfying ending. MYSTERY & DETECTIVE | Each revelation hits its mark, every bread crumb is placed in the precise spot where . THRILLER | One woman is a college intern and the other is a corporate employee, who uses Jason's expertise in helping her company economically. As my friend aPril says, if you liked Gone Girl, you will probably like The Wife. a lawyer in her day job, and the expertise she brings to the table in The Wife truly elevates this story above other legal thrillers. Did you like the ending? You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. In her latest book, The Wife, Alafair Burke knows how to keep her readers on the edge of their seats or their backs pressed against their bed's headboards. She poses a seemingly impossible, if undeniably compelling, challenge: a woman must either save her life or defend her husband, but not both. Entertainment Weekly, Written by a former prosecutor with a genius for plot, this thrill ride of a novel takes a hard look at loyalty and the violence a secret can causeespecially when that secret involves a revered public figure accused of rape., Fresh and timely. , Paperback Reviewed in the United Kingdom on April 14, 2022. To add the following enhancements to your purchase, choose a different seller. Corinne (the detective) was on to Angela at the end of the book, but couldnt locate her. ~ ThriftBooks: Read More, Spend Less. Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Highly recommended." RELEASE DATE: March 17, 2020. Hidden fields. Magazine Subscribers (How to Find Your Reader Number). And shes skilled at keeping the surprises accelerating, right to the last line. , Alafair Burke has been one of our finest suspense novelists for some time now, but in, she takes new risks, and the result is her best novel yet. , Alafair Burke executes a plot twist at the end of, that left this reviewer gasping in awe. , bestselling author whose most recent novels include. But when they marry the following summer and move to Manhattan, Angela feels she's been given the chance to escape her troubled past. The latest novel from lawyer-turned-best-selling novelist Burke is as freshly topical as a #MeToo hashtag, but it unfolds with the slow-burn thrill of pure fiction. I found the resolution to the mystery lacking. The latest novel from lawyer-turned-best-selling novelist Burke is as freshly topical as a #MeToo hashtag, but it unfolds with the slow-burn thrill of pure fiction. The Wife is a timely, gracefully written exploration of family, crime, and the current media-soaked, celebrity-obsessed, smartphone-crazed moment. She didn't necessarily get away with it. The other kidnapped girl turned out to be her childhood friend Trish. I just received an ARC of Find Me, Alafair Burkes latest book, but Ive had this one on my shelf forever so I wanted to read it first. This might be the most gripping, insightful work from the best-selling author Alafair Burke yet. The Wife is a timely, gracefully written exploration of family, crime, and the current media-soaked, celebrity-obsessed, smartphone-crazed moment. We are sorry. A stunning domestic thriller in the vein of Behind Closed Doors and The Woman in Cabin 10in which a woman must make the impossible choice between defending her husband and saving herself. "With plot twists and turns to the very end, this is a tantalizing follow-up to The Ex that will keep pages turning." Booklist "Alafair Burke always delivers. Highly recommended! How does attempted murder sound?, Categories: I'll just say I felt like I'd been played by the time I got to the end. QOTD: We all have mile-long TBRs, but what is a book you feel guilty you havent gotten to yet? 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates, Select a location to see product availability. BOOKS. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we dont use a simple average. Your email address will not be published. How did your opinion of her change over the course of the book? How did you find the pace of the book? The Wife by Alafair BurkePublished January 23rd 2018 by HarperDate read: October 7, 2021. Will you read another book by Alafair Burke? To her surprise, Jason, a brilliant economics professor at NYU, had other plans, and they married the following summer. The Wife is a timely, gracefully written exploration of family, crime, and the current media-soaked, celebrity-obsessed, smartphone-crazed moment. Six years later, thanks to a bestselling book and a growing media career, Jason has become a cultural lightning rod, placing Angela near the spotlight she worked so carefully to avoid. She and her son were finally able to move out of her mothers home to Manhattan, where no one knew about her tragic past. Before he died, it seems, Felix Vodyanov was linked to a passenger ferry that sank in 1994, an even earlier U.S. government project to research biological agents that could control human behavior, the hinky spiritual retreat Sparkling Waters, the dark web site DeepUnder, and the disappearances of at least four schoolchildren, two of whom have also turned up dead. Proof that Alafair Burke is at the Top of Her Game. Mary Higgins Clark : SPOILERS for Secluded Cabin Sleeps Six by Lisa Unger, SPOILERS for The Housemaid by Frieda McFadden, SPOILERS for All the Dangerous Things by Stacy Willingham, SPOILERS for Everyone In My Family Has Killed Someone by Benjamin Stevenson. The shocking detail revealed was that the other woman . Burke always comes through with twisty plots and strong female characters, but shes at the top of her game here. , A wonderfully taut psychological thriller . Storytelling at its best. , Burke is earning a reputation as one of the most nuanced, compelling authors working today. , With plot twists and turns to the very end, this is a tantalizing follow-up to The Ex that will keep pages turning. , is a timely, gracefully written exploration of family, crime, and the current media-soaked, celebrity-obsessed, smartphone-crazed moment. The ending wasnt what I was expecting, and you know I love to be stumped! The mounting evidence of ever more and ever worse skulduggery will pull Tempe deeper and deeper down what even she sees as a rabbit hole before she confronts a ringleader implicated in Drugs. Published January 11th 2022 by Harper Date read: December 6, 2021. The latest novel from lawyer-turned-best-selling novelist Burke is as freshly topical as a #MeToo hashtag, but it unfolds with the slow-burn thrill of pure fiction. Six years later, thanks to a bestselling book and a growing media career, Jason has become a cultural lightning rod, placing Angela near the spotlight she worked so carefully to avoid. Another sweltering month in Charlotte, another boatload of mysteries past and present for overworked, overstressed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan. Share. Author is a good writer and knows how to present a story in a manner that keeps you engaged. The Wife is a timely, gracefully written exploration of family, crime, and the current media-soaked, celebrity-obsessed, smartphone-crazed moment. She lives in New York City and East Hampton with her husband and two beloved dogs. Foster and his team launch a massive search until Nicoles husband, Thomas, arrives at the hospital and tells the police that there is no child: Nicole suffered a traumatic brain injury (actually several), causing her to conjure an imaginary daughter. Used book in poor condition - listed as new, Reviewed in the United States on May 8, 2022. To comply with FTC guidelines, I receive no compensation for the reviews or promotional content posted. The Wife by Alafair Burke Published January 23rd 2018 by Harper Date read: October 7, 2021. . 4.5 Stars! She poses a seemingly impossible, if undeniably compelling, challenge: a woman must either save her life or defend her husband, but not both.Entertainment Weekly. Jason insists he is innocent, and Angela believes him. Why or why not? SUSPENSE | Which theme resonated with you? Working as a caterer, and living Read full review, Check out the new look and enjoy easier access to your favorite features. Please post a comment and let me know what brought you to my corner of the web. Highly recommended." | Try Prime for unlimited fast, free shipping, Previous page of related Sponsored Products. I have to admit, this one had me guessing up till the end. Who took precocious six year old Josh from his day care? Sissy has aninteresting family. To see our price, add these items to your cart. Lisa Gardner Why? But when Kerry disappears, Angela is forced to take a closer look at the man she married. Alafair Burke knows how to keep her readers on the edge of their seats or their backs pressed against their bed's headboards. What an ending!!! Angela had killed Kerry. 5. Six years later, thanks to a bestselling book and a growing media career, Jason has become a cultural lightning rod, placing Angela near the spotlight she worked so carefully to avoid. List prices may not necessarily reflect the product's prevailing market price. As Angela deals with the fall out of Jason's accusations she worries about her past problems that involved her and her son. Please try your request again later. It kept me gripped from beginning to its highly unexpected ending. Read full review, Wow! After reading The Wife, would you recommend it and who to? The Ex by Alafair Burke follows a woman who agrees to help an old boyfriend who has been framed for murderbut she begins to suspect that she is the one being manipulated. Alafair Burke is the New York Times best-selling crime writer that other best-selling crime writers croon over. Her 2016 novel, THE EX, was nominated for an Edgar Award for Best Novel. Smart, suspenseful, and absolutely riveting. Megan Miranda, author of All the Missing Girls, [Burke is] one of the more subtle suspense writers around. : Reviewed in the United Kingdom on November 4, 2020. All rights reserved. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram if you're prepared for a healthy dose of dog photos along with your book news. ", Reviewed in the United Kingdom on February 4, 2018. To see our price, add these items to your cart. When a college intern makes an accusation against Jason, and another woman, Kerry Lynch, comes forward with an even more troubling allegation, their life begins to unravel. Angela is a woman with a terrible secret in her past. A former prosecutor, she now teaches criminal law and lives in Manhattan and East Hampton. Customer Reviews, including Product Star Ratings help customers to learn more about the product and decide whether it is the right product for them.Learn more how customers reviews work on Amazon, [{"displayPrice":"$17.90","priceAmount":17.90,"currencySymbol":"$","integerValue":"17","decimalSeparator":".","fractionalValue":"90","symbolPosition":"left","hasSpace":false,"showFractionalPartIfEmpty":true,"offerListingId":"W3q7WCHLs7Dfojf9KfVDGrYLF6m4tKmXsRMgAj7H3TvJ%2FxZLtotHDGEAaHzf54pfTBdSpdepy2%2FRZ0a2aLomVgH56UtGP1AlI%2FrVIBNrosgMRxGDTauyySo1QnqW5gyYjveJMsKG3XqVIdwcP7MdMQ%3D%3D","locale":"en-US","buyingOptionType":"NEW"},{"displayPrice":"$6.87","priceAmount":6.87,"currencySymbol":"$","integerValue":"6","decimalSeparator":".","fractionalValue":"87","symbolPosition":"left","hasSpace":false,"showFractionalPartIfEmpty":true,"offerListingId":"W3q7WCHLs7Dfojf9KfVDGrYLF6m4tKmX2ro7KRtUyELkYvT%2Be5u5GgpwUK389OkVJeWk0M0d%2BoSxK%2FJY7d4j71zkewkdhVvxpYJOsk3YZid6oXu%2F6Do9zwUU9VpV0Q7clSGIemujVgbVj3RfYO6PM6HSOf5wX4LXm3j%2FaPBhNu3MBLD1NIo1xWn6CovZ8lHt","locale":"en-US","buyingOptionType":"USED"},{"displayPrice":"$17.90","priceAmount":17.90,"currencySymbol":"$","integerValue":"17","decimalSeparator":".","fractionalValue":"90","symbolPosition":"left","hasSpace":false,"showFractionalPartIfEmpty":true,"offerListingId":null,"locale":"en-US","buyingOptionType":"PICKUP"}].