The Stevens 555E features auto ejectors, an imperial walnut stock, laser-engraved filigree ornament, a tang safety, single-selective mechanical triggers, a lightweight aluminum receiver reinforced with steel, and the gun ships with a dandy hard case and five interchangeable choke tubes. The balance point was about " in front of the hinge. Even the thickness of the pistol grip and forearm are nearly identical. Which is the most effective way to prevent viral foodborne illnesses? My 555 E tipped the scale at barely over six pounds. The E models have ejectors rather than extractors. Getting into the sub-gauges requires moving to the Trinity LT model, which can then be had in .410 bore, 28-, 20-, and 12- gauges. HIGH PERFORMANCE: Carlson's Choke Tubes Sporting Clays for Stevens 555 12 Gauge constricted at Full and measured at 0.695 diameter. Plus the walnut for high end long guns comes wither from Turkey or France, so this is the real deal, not walnut stained hardwood you often see in budget guns. I worry about barrel wear on imported guns. Back in the 1980s and 90s, the shotgun world seemed to be experiencing a resurgence of bigger is better mentality not seen since the market hunting days of the early 1900s. Stevens also offers the 555 E in 20, 28 and .410 gauges. The barrel exterior finish is a matte blackagain not out of place on a field gun. I think I made it pretty clear that this is a Turkish gun. A step even higher in quality is their 555E (555 Enhanced) for slightly improved features and a much more . Spring is inching nearer everyday and that means trap and clay pigeon season is upon us. All were checked 5 times to make sure. The aluminum receiver is not de-burred well at all. However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. Can someone explain the appeal that I am obviously missing? Out of the box, first impression, its a very pretty shotgun. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. All a manufacturer needs to do is build an assembly/alignment jig. Im 70, retire in January 2021 and its my retirement gift from my wife. Is there something in its class without the tag?? I took out the tube and there are no letters telling me like my 12 gauge model, only three white III marks on the outer edge of choke at muzzle. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. This comes down to personal preference. The shotgun functioned perfectly, and the ejected shell casing flew 6 or 7 feet when ejected. Slightly coarser checkering would give a better grip. This inexpensive (notice I didnt say cheap? For testing, I rounded up a passel of factory loads and a few of my favorite handloads and headed to my shooting range. Its matter of taste, affordability, its not that complicated. As of May 9th I have heard nothing since I sent the 555E 28 ga. back to Savage for the second time. Minimalist by design and in materials, the aluminum receiver weighs about 1 pound less than one built of steel. 8,934. Stoeger Condor Field Features: 12 gauge with 28 and 26 barrels. Chokes: Five screw-in, flush-mounted tubes. Known by hunters and shooting sport enthusiasts for their function, quality and durability, all Trulock Choke Tubesof which there are more than 2,000are guaranteed with a 60-day money-back or exchange policy. Federal has created a safer, easier and more reliable way to shoot a muzzleloader. I tested 3 different over and under single trigger guns in my collection. The 3-inch chambers and bores are chrome lined, and a set of five screw-in choke tubes (C, IC, M, IM, F) is included. The heft of the smaller gauge 5.5-pound Stevens 555 makes such ready carrying easy. I can truthfully state, however, that I never missed a shot at a teal! The trigger is so hard that my daughter complains about a trigger forming on her finger. Is one better than the other? What choke do I have here? 800-766-1670 | 207-594-9544 You covered everything relevant to this gun. Were not quite comparing apples to apples, as the Stevens is built on an alloy receiver against the Trinitys solid steel housing. Holy smokes this thing is light. Subscribe to Our Newsletter to get Special . Does the enhanced model have the double fire problem like the regular 555 model I keep reading about? Weight: 6.5 pounds I own a Stevens Model 512 in both 20 ga and 28. Nothing broke. I just purchased a 555e 410. While the two Model 555 O-Us were plenty serviceable field guns, they were not without their foibles. The 12-gauge Model 555 weighed only 6.5 pounds, and the 20 gauge was an even lighter 5.5 pounds. The finish on the alloy receiver is a lustrous matte black that is very uniform and meshes well with the matte bluing on the steel barrels. The vent rib in on the 12 gauge versions 28-inch chrome-lined barrels is finished with a brass bead. You could spend more and get more, but you also could spend more and get less. Maybe you missed the image above that says Savage Arms-Westfield, MA, KOFS, Turkey. The first is a flush-style choke tube. I find it hard to recommend purchasing another Savage although my first 22 single shot was a used Stevens in 1958. Designed to deliver world-class performance in an over/under configuration at an affordable price, the Stevens Model 555 is loaded with features, including a stylish Turkish walnut stock, chrome-lined, carbon steel barrels, tang-mounted safety . OK, Im happy to do that. Available in 12ga. There can be several styles of chokes used by a number of shotgun manufacturers. I see that they put a steel pivot pin into the aluminum receiver, which looks a bit unappealing. Details Select delivery location The guns have 3" chambers and weigh between 6.6-7.5 lbs, depending on. Carlson's Choke Tubes 720 South Second Street Atwood, KS 67730 (785) 626-3700 (785) 626-3999; info@choketube.com; Put bead on bird and that chukkar is yours. Though basic, it functions just fine. The third is an extended "bright" choke designed for sporting clays. I often take it quail hunting instead of my Franchiis or Benelli Ultralight. I tried shooting the gun, and after one box of shells decided that this was not acceptable. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. Interchanges with Carlson's Stevens 555 style threads. The new Model 555 over-under shotgun is true to that tradition. Our test model Stevens 555E retails for $829 with real-world prices at $683. The Stevens is chambered for 2 3/4 and 3-inch shells, but theres a caveat there. Specifications: Stevens 555 E 12 Gauge Over/Under Shotgun, Gauge: 12 (also available in 20, 28 and .410) Now I face a dilemma: Do I call Savage/Stevens and have them do something about the finish work or do I utilize my time and talents to refinish the stock? Shooting Times received one of each gauge for review. tn. Wood-to-metal fit was a little too proud, but it was adequate and gap-free. The Tristar Trinity, meanwhile, offers 12-, 16-, and 20-gauges. There may be another motivation. My bad, sorry Dan. Check availability here. Also as expected, the heavier loads kicked like an irate wildebeest in the lightweight guns. The 555 comes in two grades: the basic grade, which costs $692, and the 555 Enhanced, which is $863. The Trinity retails for $685 with online prices at $544. I was told this is within specification. I will never buy anything made or imported by this company based on their poor customer service. I think if you want a lustrous hand rubbed finish with filled pores, youre going to have to do it yourself. The single selective trigger, tang safety, and barrel selector are the same for each. The 555 Es 14 1/2-inch length of pull works for smaller to average shooters. Accessories: Chokes, choke wrench, choke case, owners manual. By clicking Accept All, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. The Model 555 handled all loads, from the light 3/4-ounce 'Trainer ' to the heaviest 3-inch magnum steel shot loads. STEVENS 555 $613.99 Shop All Finding one affordable, attractive, and durable over-under shotgun is difficult enough, but this time, we're graced with a pair of 16-gauge doubles. I polished all meeting surfaces, camming surfaces or rubbing surfaces to a 4 to 16 finish. The aluminum alloy has a blued finish and the stock is checkered turkish walnut. The gun comes complete with five flush choke tubes (cylinder, IC, modified, IM and full), making it suitable for anything from low house skeet crossers to circling teals. Full: This choke has tight constriction and a dense pattern, delivering approximately 70 percent of a shells total pellets in a 30-inch circle at 40 yards. The chokes stayed snug. The trigger had perfectly nice 5-pound pulls on both sears, which is just fine for the field. Bring out the Dremel/emery cloth. Open and close barrels. The basic gun has extractors, plain walnut and an unengraved black receiver, while the 555 Enhanced has upgraded wood, an engraved silver receiver and ejectors . It comes equipped with five interchangeable choke tubes. The third is an extended "bright" choke designed for sporting clays. You can see every dollar of the $170 premium you pay over the base 555 shotgun models. It didnt rain, but was a thick foggy soup that would coat your glasses, but not enough to bead up and run off the bill of your cap. And with an MSRP of only $692, it represents an excellent value at a very reasonable cost. The 555 replaces the weighty Savage 512. This is both a touch higher and a little more pitch than most mass-produced guns. But while I tested it, it was mechanically correct in all respects. The trigger is mechanical, so if barrel one doesn't go off, just squeeze the trigger again for barrel two. The 555 comes in two grades: the basic grade, which costs $692, and the 555 Enhanced, which is $863. Communication with the group is non existent with one exception. The similarities continue here, with both guns shipping with five flush-mount choke tubes. Shotguns with alloy receivers and standard steel barrels generally are nose-heavy. You can pick one up (the plain version) on line for around $550. with minimal creep. 4.8 out of 5 Stars! Taurus has redesigned this sporting pistol for performance. In my experience, Turks produce two types of shotguns: firearms with impressive aesthetics and excellent reliability or guns with perfunctory finish work and slapdash construction. I am unsure if it has auto ejectors . Illinois Freedom Week Starts Today: Federal Court Blocks Enforcement of Illinois Assault Weapons Ban, How to Make Sure Your Shotgun Really Fits You, Gun Review: Springfield Armory Ronin EMP 3 9mm 1911. This ^. 5 Stars Now on to pheasants. On paper, thats a good pound to a pound-and-a-half lighter than its budget-priced competitors (e.g., CZ Redhead, Mossberg International Silver Reserve or Stoeger Condor). 680 Commercial StreetRockport, Maine 04856 They had to have the choke key slots cleaned up with a file as there was still machining swarf attached. Unlike the base models in Stevens 555 line, the E (for enhanced) version sports nicely figured laser engraved filigree on its aluminum receiver.. The barrels were quick to move but had a certain steadiness. Few surfaces were hand finished and those surfaces that were, were rough. The forend iron isnt iron. We show you how. $59.99. I have not noticed issues that have been mentioned in previous comments. For this comparison, were using the Stevens Model 555E in 16-gauge with 28-inch barrels against the new-for-2020 Tristar Trinity in 16-gauge with the same 28-inch barrel set. all the better, its a tool, not a social status. All Shooting Times subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Well, the "handles" on the Model 555s are pretty nice (with one exception, which I'll get to shortly). New for 2019, each grade has added the 16-gauge to its lineup. The 555 Es machine-cut checkering isnt as deep or tactile as youd get in a hand-cut gun; Id prefer something a little more aggressive. Although many of the single-shot . (Ret.) Learn more here: http://bit.ly/1G7xXag. Photograph by Bruce Buck. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. The Trinity, with its acid-etched engraving, is finished with 24-karat gold inlay for an exceptionally classy look. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. 555 | Shotgun | Savage Arms Get world-class performance in an over-under at an affordable price. Length of Pull: 14 18 inches Choke designations are marked by notches on the front lip, so that you can see what you have installed without removing them. I have one in 20 ga and it is a dandy. I also shot a few representative loads on my steel pattern plate. Upon further inspection I noticed the chambers were very rough. WaterfowlChoke.com, Carlsons Extended Super Steel Shot Choke Tube, Carlsons Long Range White Wing Dove Choke, CARLSON'S Choke Tubes 12 Gauge for Stevens 555 [ Cylinder | 0.725 Diameter ] Stainless Steel | Sporting Clays Choke Tube | Made in USA, CARLSON'S Choke Tubes 12 Gauge for Stevens 555 [ Turkey | 0.665 Diameter ] Blued Steel | Extended Turkey Choke Tube | Made in USA, Carlson's Choke Tube Stevens 555 12 Gauge Sporting Clays Choke Tube, Skeet, Silver, Best Waterfowl Choke Tubes Buyers Guide, 7.5 vs 8 shot: The 3 Key Differences to Know, Choke Tube Diameter and Constriction Table, Why Do Choke Tubes Loosen & How To Prevent. Metal Finish: Silver receiver with 100% engraving, matte-black barrels. If these steps are not followed damage may be caused to barrel and/or choke. The 3-inch chamber will accept either 2 3/4 or 3 inch 12-gauge shells, and the magazine will hold up to four shells, though a plug is provided in order to limit capacity to two. The trigger felt OK right out of the box, but its a shotgun, not a target rifle, so I was good with OK. How in the world can they market a youth gun with such a hard trigger??? The monoblock also has two fixed lugs that engage cutouts in the bottom of the receiver, though that is steel against aluminum, so it will wear. The second is an extended-tube style with a black oxide finish. What choke to use with a slug? I have several Turkish shotguns (Huglu CZs) and they are very good guns. Turns out, there was a nasty burr all the way around the inside of the opening. But what do you expect in an over/under retailing for under $700? Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. What choke comes in a Stevens 320 20 gauge? But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. from others about excessive trigger pull. (Note to Self: Avoid 3-inch loads whenever possible!).