if(document.querySelector("#google_image_div")){ Holly Madison claims Hugh Hefner abused her, Playboy model Francia James strips naked for body paint cosplay, gets kicked out of mall, The 35-year-old continued, I was still sick physically and mentally, but on the road to recovery, before adding: Im always torn when I talk about the Playboy Mansion because in a lots of ways it was a sanctuary to me, but in other ways, it was my prison. When I went back in 2011 the most beautiful woman youd ever see would walk in with everything on display and Hef would say Have you met my wife Crystal?" She later added, "Hef had realized what was most important in life, even it took him until he was 85. You could either walk by him or just walk through this door and get on, um, the stand. I was trying to scoot to the right side of the bed, 'cause he was on the left. I wanted him to be there just like my mom was. I'm fine, y'know. Now three years later Crystal has rebranded herself as a travel blogger and found love again with 32-year-old spaceship engineer Nathan Levi. Confessions were obtained from him as well as his agreement to do a walk through of the crime scene. hitType: 'event', }, First published on September 4, 2010 / 10:44 PM. Archived post. But you know, I was ready. And as well as being a blogger, she is an influencer with over three million followers. There was blood on the wall, and just - it was everywhere. No more questions. There was, thankfully, no cross examination. },false) eventAction: 'click_ads' She was there always. They felt this could hopefully allow Pam to better help Krystal through her recovery. Despite their 60 year age difference, the new couple got engaged in late 2010, only to part ways, reunite, and ultimately tie the knot in December 2012. Harold Dow: I think Garcia, the defense attorney, was taken with Krystal Surles. document.querySelector("#google_image_div").addEventListener('click',function(){ }); [Tearing up]. Crystal Harris has lifted the lid on her marriage to Hugh Hefner Credit: John Chapple - The Sun. "When the wedding didn't work out the . So that was the door that opened up that just said, it just woke me up and said, "Do you love your kids or not? I'm not scared of him. I didn't know anything except that Krystal had had her throat cut. But eventually, Hefner and the twins parted ways and the then-84-year-old proposed to Harris, who was 24. On December 30, 1999, at a home in Del Rio, Texas, two girls were preparing to have a sleepover together, 13-year-old Kaylene Harris, who went by Katy & 10-year-old Krystal Surles. And then, I just remember laying there and the light turning off, and I heard the door shut. Krystal: Well, we're shooting for the death penalty. Her clothes were never matching, she walked to school & no one ever saw her parents or siblings; she said, I was just the random girl at school.. hitType: 'event', Krystal: I couldn't get the picture out of my head. Pam managed to keep her word & not cry, as she watched her brave child breakdown on the stand. And I just decided - I saw a light in the distance. And within a few hours they came back in. Thank you. Is Katy OK?" Johnny Allen: Several days prior to the trial, Krystal was introduced to my two young daughters simply because I thought it might be a way for Krystal to put her mind at ease and take her away from what she was going to have to go through. }); ", "I think we just had a really good time together," she said. I need to back off a little bit. I knew she went through her phases. Apparently the Harris family had met Sells through Grace Community Church & allegedly struck up a friendship. And when the tragedy happened, she knew what to do. They married on Dec. 31, 2012, in an intimate ceremony at the mansion, as if nothing untoward had happened. Krystal: My dad would sleep for days at times. Marque: After the attack, we became way closer. "He taught me love. document.querySelector("#ads").addEventListener('click',function(){ Krystal Harris was born on 7 November 1981 in Anderson, Indiana, USA. The blood (crying), there was so much blood everywhere. Krystal said after the attack and trial, she, her mom & sisters all slept in the same bed for the next couple of years. I have memories of this singer who used to be promoted on Nickelodeon in the early 00s who had short hair and was simply addressed as Krystal with no last name. Blood streaked the walls & it appeared that someone had stumbled down the hall, holding on to things as they went. Amber: Krystal took on the mother, the father, the everything role. }); Crystal Harris married Hugh Hefner in 2012 despite having an age difference of 60 years. The police called Pam, where she sat with her recovering daughter & let her know they had made the arrest. In the meantime, I had the girls; some tough times there. Since his passing, Harris has always maintained that despite public speculation to the contrary, her marriage was purely about love. She got down from the bunk, fell to her hands and knees and made her way to where Katy lay on the bedroom floor. ", Harold Dow died suddenly on Aug. 21, 2010, at age 62.He loved people and people loved him. A mere five days before they were due to exchange vows, Harris called the wedding off. I remember walking down the hall and at the end of the hall I could see my mom and my sister. let gads_event; I me being in second grade, they're younger than me, they were babies. and the Legend of the Vampire. window.googletag.cmd.push(function() { Im not scared of him.. eventAction: 'load' ga('ads.send', { I would not break down. I wanted to be in that room. Krystal: Cuz his hand was over her mouth.Fred Hernandez | District Attorney: Whose hand was over her mouth?Krystal: (pointing) His hand.Krystal: But when I got up there and then had to talk. I never sat up fully or anything. Hefner and Harris reconciled the following year and got married on December 31, 2012, with close family members attending. Krystal had to directly point at Sells to identify that he was the person who murdered her friend that night. And what kind of took us back more than anything was his comment, "I guess you wanna know about the other murders.". Eventually, as years went on, people were curious, like, 'Oh yeah. She said that the moment it was over & she stepped off the stand, she felt so good, like all the pressure was off her shoulders, having gotten through it. He's like, 'Who's there, who's there,' you know? He made it clear that if I travelled on my own or did things on my own, we were over. }) Eventually, police brought Krystal a photo lineup; they watched as her eyes scanned the photo & focused on one person pictured. And she just handed me a pair of shorts and a purple tank top and said, "Put this on. I wanted a normal life. Plays the piano, guitar, bass, drums, and flute. They just started pouring out. ga('ads.send', { But I remember I woke up to like a scream. She also guest-starred as the lead role in the Touched by an Angel episode 9x16: "A Song for My Father". I was just so mad. The backstory is interesting. document.querySelector("#adunit").addEventListener('click',function(){ She married him when he was too old to feel like "doing" stuff. Almost seven months later, Harris broke off their engagement -- just five days before their wedding, before the July issue of Playboy magazine that year hit the stores which featured Harris on the cover and in a photo spread, with the cover headline reading, "Introducing America's Princess, Mrs Crystal Hefner." Five years earlier, her parents Pam & Mark got caught up in a roller coaster of drug addiction. Tommy Lynn Sells: I walked over here to the edge of the house Johnny Allen: Low and behold, a window was left open that night, which allowed access a lot easier. These are happy tears. They are quite bold, with intense personalities and feelings that hide underneath their cool exterior. News' Daily Pop in which she said, It's only been four years but it does feel in a way like a lifetime ago. She later started Krystal Peterson & The Queen City Band, releasing an EP on iTunes in 2013. The little handprints (crying) of my daughter's, I just can't even describe the helpless feeling that I felt. The Girls of the Playboy Mansion, 11 years later. eventAction: 'load' I just remember seeing it all the way down the front steps and just off into the street. And they decided to give Tommy Lynn Sells the death penalty. Johnny Allen: We feel like the motive in this murder and [the] attack on Krystal was sexual assault. Over the next nine months, working with Sells, the police confirmed that he was responsible for 22 murders. A self-described "doormat" when it comes to men, she speaks with a Southern accent despite having grown up in Lanford because her father was from Arkansas. eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), Now, over two years since her husband's death, she is also blogging, on the self-titled websiteCrystal Hefner- writing on all things beauty, travel and lifestyle. Required fields are marked *. The murder weapon was an 11-inch butcher knife. Tommy Lynn Sells: My daddy told me a long time ago, "Dead men tell no tales" I remember that to this day. It was just really overwhelming at that point. if(document.querySelector("#ads")){ Pam Surles | Marque and Krystal's mother: On Dec. 31, 1999, I had a phone call at close to 6:00 in the morning as I was preparing to move from Kansas to Texas. Kristallnacht, (German: "Crystal Night") , also called Night of Broken Glass or November Pogroms, the night of November 9-10, 1938, when German Nazis attacked Jewish persons and property. And you've got this deranged killer climbing through the window with a knife. Marque was desperate to know what was going on. Sells had made a comment that he had considered killing all six people that were in the trailer. Krystal noticed that Katy had blood on her & that the man held a knife in his hand. It would make things too hard.Johnny Allen: I think about this case basically 10 years after the fact simply because I drive by this crime scene almost daily. I was on the top bunk of the bed and I just popped my head up a little bit. Pam said that the Texas Rangers suggested that she go through the crime scene to see with her own eyes what had happened. And, it's almost as if when he received that death penalty, he's gettin' the death penalty for all the other homicides he's committed. When Pam arrived at the hospital, she saw her baby girl surrounded by tubes, a machine breathing for her. Now, Harris has opened up in an interview with The Sun about the details of her relationship with Hefner, what led her to leave and what led her to come back. Because you realized just exactly what she had to go through, what she had to do to try and survive. But I'm a smart enough journalist to know that in all the years I've worked in the news business, I never sat in on an interrogation. Tommy Lynn Sells: Then I came over here, there was a little girl sleeping here and I stood here for a minute. Krystal described him as having long, dark, scruffy hair and a big, long, scary, bushy beard that took over his whole face, and dark, mean eyes. pg.acq.push(function() { He had a knife across her throat, and his hand on her mouth. On the floor was a deceased young girl. Johnny Allen: You know, in all my years of investigations, I've never allowed journalists in the same room with suspects. That's when I realized, we were dealing with a serial killer - a cold-blooded serial killer. She was contacted and was flown to San Antonio and ultimately brought to University Hospital. On April 3, 2014, Sells had no last words before he was given a lethal injection & died 13 minutes later. And I looked her in her eyes and I said, "Are you OK, angel? We are one of the worlds fastest growing Krystal Harris: The Pop Gurl Who Never Was I have memories of this singer who used to be promoted on Nickelodeon in the early '00s who had short hair and was simply addressed as Krystal with no last name. After connecting her to the song The Kid In You from The Country Bears, I pinned her down as Krystal Harris. Marque ended up sleeping in the bedroom directly across the hall from where Katy & Krystal slept; she said she fumed in bed for two hours, so angry that her sister wouldnt allow her to join the fun. And Krystal has done everything she can, but she can't change that. They were comin' over askin' for 'em. Mark: When the incident happened with Krystal, it was like a slap in the face. The pair remained together for five years before the magazine publisher died in September 2017. Lori Vallow and Chad Daybell case: A timeline of events He noticed Marque sleeping by herself in one room & instead chose the room where Katy & Krystal slept. And he was getting ready to leave. Marque remembers waking up and seeing the sun coming in through the window. So I left. And then there was relief. I just had, like, a game plan. And I at that point in time, I was hopin' I could back that up. And at that point in time, I assured Krystal that we are goin' to arrest the subject or person or persons who did this to her. Tommy Lynn Sells died by lethal injection in a Texas prison in 2014 following his death sentence in the murder of 13-year-old Kaylene "Katy" Harris. They were getting into some trouble with the law & worst of all, they were fighting terribly. }); Hefner was known for his many girlfriends who lived together in a Los Angeles mansion, which he documented for the world to see in the highly successful reality TV show, The Girls of the Playboy Mansion. I laid next to her rubbin' her back and - and that's when I realized I couldn't talk 'cause all I wanted to say was, "Everything's gonna be OK. Everything's gonna be OK." But I couldn't And then, I mean, as soon as she stopped making those noises, I had this feeling, you know, "get outta here. window.googletag.pubads().addEventListener('slotRenderEnded', function(event) { With more than just Tommy Lynn Sells. Um, he came, y'know, to my graduation. Ryan is a good friend and they are getting to know each other, a source told Us Weekly exclusively in July last year. I don't ever - ever give him the time of day. eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), Y'know we're not the type of people to ever wish death upon anybody. This broadcast is dedicated to CBS News Correspondent Harold Dow, who reported on this story for a decade. Im still healing from certain experiences.. Where are they now? eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), Pam: It was time for us to get back to everything as normal as possible. She said she was sleeping on the top bunk & Katy was at the bottom. hitType: 'event', The name Kristallnacht refers ironically to the litter of broken glass left in the streets after these pogroms. }); And then she kept asking me, "Is Katy OK? I didn't want the drugs and everything that comes with that lifestyle. It just [tearing up] it makes me really thankfulthat's what he did. There were different, heightened expectations for Harris, chiefly because of her . Krystal Marie Peterson (ne Harris; November 7, 1981) is an actress, singer-songwriter and pianist known for her 2001 contributions to The Princess Diaries soundtracks and for her album Me & My Piano. I was just the random girl at school. She told the publication, "I did not expect it to happen like that. Their relationship gradually strengthened as Mark built his trust back. The exact figure of Harris's current net worth is not known, but it is estimated to be between $5 million and $10 million. When I couldn't sleep in the room, I was so mad. Florida mom on rescue after being held captive: "I'd been pulled from hell" Krystal remembers feeling that she wasnt brave, just lucky. "Krystal: He was in jail for three years. Harris said, "I came to rely on him so much that I didnt really have a life outside of him. She was given the option to walk past Sells or go through the door that led her straight to the stand. }); At that moment, Pam couldnt bring herself to break the devastating news that Katy hadnt made it. }); Harris was never in her husband's will and the couple had signed a pre-nuptial agreement, which meant that Hefner's $45 million fortune was split between his four children, a university, and different charities. But we knew at this point in time that - that we could use assistance in gettin' his story out nationwide - in hopes of findin' other victims who possibly could have survived. ga('create', 'UA-67136960-15', 'auto', 'ads'); She had been attacked. And then we're like, is that really what we want? Chilling details revealed in JJ Vallow and Tylee Ryan deaths But I didnt know how to leave either. Please don't cry. Steppin' back out of the situation and it's kinda like, 'Well, he wasn't there. eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), This, she deserves this. And we're gonna find out what's gonna happen to himsoon.Harold Dow: The jurors went out to deliberate. I could see everybody crying. But we're doing better. No, I'm just lucky. Everyone tried to remind Krystal that she was the one who helped catch the vicious killer who could be out, killing others. Pam: It's such a beautiful thing to see her with her sisters. MEAWW is an initialism for Media Entertainment Arts WorldWide. During their brief split, Crystal confessed she had only had sex with Hugh once and it lasted "two seconds". So I'm just banging as hard as I can on the door. window.googletag.pubads().addEventListener('slotOnload', function(event) { I didn't really ever have time to take a shower, I never wore matching clothes, I walked to school. The people become a part of you," Dow said. reporters on a platform technologically tailored to meet the needs of the modern reader. Pam: I remember the phone ringing in the hospital room, and me answering it, and them telling me that they had caught Tommy Lynn Sells. It had been discarded in the brush behind his house, exactly where he told police he had put it. Everybody was frantic. It was very awkward. Harris lived with the Playboy founder alongside his other girlfriends: identical twin sisters Kristina and Karissa Shannon. I was kind of, I - I - I say it as a joke, but it's true: I was the stinky kid in class. ga('create', 'UA-67136960-15', 'auto', 'ads'); ", Mark: I was in Ada County Jail. My older sister, Krystal, and I were staying with friends in Del Rio, Texas, waiting for my family in Kansas to move there with us. Four years after his death, she had an interview with E! I've never been the type of person to feel good about something so bad. She kind of reminded me of P!nk before I knew who P!nk was. She then fled to Australia. When the man opened the door, she communicated by writing on a pad of paper, The Harris are hurt.. Tell them to hurry. My neck needs help. While everyone slept, Krystal would still be awake at 5am, laying there with her eyes wide open. Johnny Allen: Out of this whole experience with Sells, that was probably the most difficult to sit there and have to listen to. She was the backbone in our family for a really long time. 9.6K Likes, 275 Comments. Harris married Daniel Peterson and they settled in Cincinnati, Ohio. But at the same time, I knew that I had to eventually go back to Texas and testify in front of him. Mark feels that had he not been locked up at the time, he would have killed that son of a bitch.. hitType: 'event', Katy Harris was a beautiful girl who was well-liked and popular at school. Crime scene photos: Tommy Lynn Sells I'm just lucky. After Harris vanished, however, Hefner had stickers saying "Runaway Bride" affixed over her picture on the cover. In the months and months that we spent with Sells we have confirmed he has committed 22 total murders. I felt overwhelmed and trapped. It was dark outside. Even today she still is like a mother to them. When Sells approached Krystal that night, she had held her hands up to protect her neck. I had to tell them they were gone. I sat down and my mom proceeds to tell me that Krystal had been attacked.