This is the only good spot to kill a gator for one reason: it is the only place on an alligators body where you can shoot straight into an alligators tiny brain. Harpoons. The fishing (hook and line) method is the most common and is the only method allowed on public areas. Guides fill up quickly. The epicenter of alligator gar bowfishing is Texas, especially if you want to take a big one. Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and South Carolina offer opportunites for allgator hunting thanks to managed, controlled events with mandatory check-in by hunters. You can achieve this shot if the alligator is facing away and you are following behind it. Can I Shoot a Bow in My Backyard in Texas? The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". Your email address will not be published. With water splashing all over us, the fight was on as the 500-pound test line flew out from Jesse's bow. The worst place to shoot an alligator is in the belly. Aside from the ones mentioned, consider using a bowfishing rest to decrease the possibility of your line catching on conventional rests. "A regular bowfishing bow setup for carp shooting is . Here's what to do! Some states allow you to use a baited line with a wooden dowel. With Jesse's legs and hands still visibly shaking, I asked her which was more exciting, shooting her first deer or gator? Hunters are selected by a preference-based computer drawing and may apply online beginning May 1 of each year. Free shipping for many products! Research the different states that allow gator hunting. Alligator offer a lot of meat, but more importantly, you'll need . With a little homework you can find the hunt that is right for you. When the gator takes the bait, it gets caught on the hook. It can all happen in a flash, so keep your eyes peeled. You can start pulling the alligator in the boat once you are sure it is dead but make sure to tape its mouth with electrical tape first. Success rates are high for prepared hunters. Ive wanted to take an alligator with a bow so In feb. 2019, I will drive to the Sunshine state to hunt gators and hogs with a bow. If you are now determined to hunt the alligator you spotted, it would be wise to shoot the animal on its back for an ethical and instant kill. Alligators make for an unusual target but are exciting to pursue with a bow and arrow. Furthermore, they imposed a minimum size limit of not less than four feet. But, in the short run, it just makes them mad. Only one alligator per bag should meet the size restriction in each zone. The same applies in Alabama. Bow and arrow are just some of the equipment you need for bowhunting alligators. One might have a Boone & Crockett buck on it. If youre objective is to get the alligator out of the water and into your boat, you want to slow the beast down, not motivate it to fight harder. "Texas has the perfect climate for alligator gar and they grow large there," White says. (with line attached from arrow to bow or crossbow). *As with any hunt, regulations vary by state, and it is best to check with the local state game and fish to ensure you are hunting within the law. If you are now determined to hunt the alligator you spotted, it would be wise to shoot the animal on its back for an ethical and instant kill. And, if youre alligator hunting because you want to make a buck selling the hides, putting a bunch of holes in an alligators skin is . . Attached at the end of your arrow is not a broad head, but a harpoon, and attached to the harpoon is a long nylon string which is tied to a buoy. When hunting alligators, it is generally recommended to use . Meanwhile, some hunt alligators for the sheer excitement and unique challenge you cant find in other big hunting games. Although this really didn't surprise me, one thing was certain, no one was more proud of her than me. At this point, rope burns and getting the line wrapped around your feet or hand are a real concern. He moves toward the bow, finger pointing to a disturbance 20 yards . Hunters participating in the Public Alligator Hunting Season may take alligators in public waters and on private land where permission is granted, but alligator hunting is prohibited on Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) and USFWS wildlife refuges. If you don't want to bring your iPad into the bathroom, we can send you a magazine subscription for free! But sinking a treble hook into a 15-foot, 1,000-pound prehistoric reptile? Day 2: A 60 Inch Wide Moose for Nicole Jones Reeve. Shooting delicious catfish is also legal in Kentucky. Your email address will not be published. Well, you shoot the gator in the famous "quarter-sized kill spot" on the back of its head. Hunting dangerous game with a bow is exciting, but having an alligator come directly toward you at only 10 feet is definitely a bowhunting rush. There's two ways people did it. For more info: kenetrek.com. Hunting dangerous game with a bow is exciting, but having an alligator come directly toward you at only 10 feet is definitely a bowhunting rush. Use of baited hooks is not legal. Therefore, it is advisable to thoroughly check with your state if there are any updates in the alligator hunting regulations before proceeding so you can manage your expectations and start with your preparations. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Getting a bow set up to hunt gators with would be the easiest part. If your state allows bowhunting alligators, the next step would be to take note of the regulations you need to follow. Just $1 per month , Learn the habits of these prehistoric reptiles to tag your first swamp monster, By Floats are attached to the opposite end of the line to wear the gator down as it tries to swim away. Before we knew it we were headed out to another lake in Walton County. Be patient since it could take hours to spot them and place a perfect shot. You can use rifle, handgun, bang stick or bow to harvest your alligator. "Just like buck fever, some hunters can't handle the pressure and are rendered completely immobile.". According to Land, a "gator bow" only needs enough power to get the point under the hide of the animal, so most any compound bow in the 30 to 70 pound range can work great. [CDATA[ John Currier, an expert gator hunter from Louisiana, anchors a 1,000-pound-test line to a tree and hangs a baited hooktypically raw chickenabove the water from a PVC rod (you can use bamboo or fiberglass stakes too) and sticks it into the bank of a canal or swamp. Please note that only a few states in the USA do not prohibit alligator hunting. Does the arrow keep falling off rest? Keep your eyes on the prize and may your journey of gator hunting be successful with some fresh all-natural gator tail. Get your fish arrow anywhere in the gator. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. License Fees: Residents $272, Nonresidents $1,022. Twenty permits were issued to 1,800 hunters who applied. I Personally have probably set up more xbows specifically for alligator hunting then most any bow shop around. This gator target was a featured target at just under 70 yards on the Nock On Archery course at the Total Archery Challenge at Seven Springs, Pennsylvania, and Dudley DOUBLED THE DISTANCE on this already difficult shot! Teca Gators are among the most deadly of their species. Following up on the success of the popular Corrie boot, the Kenetrek faithful asked the company to create an all-leather version of it. Alligator hunts are limited and there is a short window to be successful. Firearms may be used to take alligators only on private property. If you plan to hunt, whether that may be in a hunting . And even though I didn't have time to turn on my lighted sights, Morrell's headlamp shined just enough for me to see and use my top pin to shoot and my arrow went completely through the gator. Its unlawful to take an alligator by means of firearms from, in, on, across or over public water. Television shows such as Swamp People have increased the popularity of alligators and the sport of gator hunting. Supposed you are now clear with the law, next is to select a bow setup to use for your alligator bowhunting which is as follows: You can use your current bow to bowhunt alligators as long as it is within the allowed draw weight by your state. //