Would like to hear from any one who served with me, Terry Thompson I was Sgt E-5 with 4/48 and stayed with you a couple of weeks before you left VN. Grass in the foreground. I was with the 87th from Aug 65 to Feb 66 when i was trfrd to Team 97 in Bein Hoa. Col Patton strongly resembled his father. They adjusted all my meds and I am doing well again. knew him well at xuan loc area he was kia may 1969 east of nui chua chan, Sorry to heard about your bout with cancer. A marine carries a PRC-25 radio on his back crawls through the grassy area.. Battalion Command post set up in the field with communications gear and tall antennas. Lost a lot of pictures and paperwork from back then. I was in Xuan Loc during this time frame. I arrived by chopper and left by chopper. SGT Dean R. Isaacs, Missoula, MT We heard the other day that one lady just moved in after 3 years. He passed not to long ago. We had some wounded from sniper/ claymores at night they would plant and one killed from a mine they planted when we were moving out after a week or so. I think it was up to 200 feet at the top I was TDY from 232 nd signal co. Macv. I remember the incident but didnt see it. The marines stand, walk and sit. was guard on compond 67 sept. 68 july wilson(team97), I think I remember you WilsonI was S/G under Big C ( SFC. I have a few follow-up questions. Died quickly. 4 Lemoyne Watkins. We had to travel over there to see it. During that time Captain Dave White was Senior Signals Advisor at 87 HQ in Xuan Loc. After I got back I was at Ft Jackson and he and Miss Dolly came by to visit. I was the Fire Chief at Blackhorse and when they closed it down (about august 69) I moved the entire fire dept to Xuan Loc and set it up on the airfield..Dont remember the name of the SA, but I recall he was not that well liked. In May of 1968, we were the first unit (US or RVN) to operate in War Zone D in over 20 years. Bo Army of Republic of Vietnam Lieutenant General Xuan Lam, Colonel Roberts and staff. I had Advisory Training and Vietnamese school at Fort Bragg and Fort Bliss then upon arrival assigned to Team 87 at Xuan Loc. Dad passed away in 2015 (June) of Lung Cancer- and I found out through a few guys that served with him that he earned two Silver Stars during his time in Vietnam. https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Xuan_Loc_Base_Camp,_May_1969.jpg&oldid=720644912, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, NARA photo 111-CCV-41-CC58193 by SP5 Dennis Connell, Uploaded a work by NARA photo 111-CCV-41-CC58193 by SP5 Dennis Connell from https://www.fold3.com/image/245208041 with UploadWizard. I was only 14 at the time of his passing. I was a radio teletype operator. Lot of us were with so many units they run together, Wish I kept better info but didnt think 50 years ahead. Is this the same John Landry Class of 1962 USMA? I used to climb it once a month to change the batteries in the field phone on top platform. I know exactly what you are talking about with the stress from higher hq. They ended up in an awful battle and all three were wounded and evacuated. Sir I knew Pappy in 76 after he was grounded due to a heart condition. Adopted by Gen Pattons sister. I need to get some info on Doc Snyder and a few other things from way back then. He was wounded in action and passed 20 Nov 69. Yes it was Lt Keith. At the time I was there mostly there were big tent cover with wood sides and floors. Hey Dick! I was a radio teletype operator TDY from 39th Signal Bat. Advisor Team had over 75% casualties but no body killed. I have added you to my prayer list. Website Terms & Conditions | does any one remember a unit patch with the bloody hatchet on the left breast pocket or a sfc Runion he was my dad. My dad Capt. An older CPT He was prior enlisted. Ronnie and I were both from the Atlanta, Ga. area and got together many times after the service. Seems we were there at the same time. Lucky. Always thought it was a MACV camp at xuan loc. Got wounded. There was a construction project not far away for office HQ . Got some ulcers on my left foot. When I came to 4/48 in late June of 1968 there was a Captain who was Senior Battalion Advisor, who had been with 4/48 during Tet 1968 and left the Battalion about the 3rd week of July. I know that he volunteered for the mission two days before the end of his tour, do you happen to know why? We lived in the chicken coop next to the wire. Pete Boszor by chance. Now it looks like quarterly monitoring, plus Lupron injection 2X annually. We learned a bit later that a blood clot killed him. He also helped me to pass the aviator test for flight training which I did in 1969 Please contact me at blackhorse4@verizon.net. Please have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year. SSG Cobb was kiled Part of 71-72 LTC Ferguson was the 43rd RCAT Senior Advisor replaced in 72, (I think) by LTC David W. Patton. well Sir y0u beat me to retirement. Anyways nice to hear from someone who was at the same place and the same time. During that Presidential Election (September 71), I was taken to Blackhorse by the Colonel and Vietnamese General and dropped off at the Team House. Familisr name. At the U.S. camp, 14 Americans were killed and 39 wounded; 24 enemy soldiers were killed in the action. My first exposure to actual mortar attack. read an article in the Indpls. Except for old age. Done another tour with the 101st in 68 and 69.. Flowers and incense burning on coffins. Your assessment of the fight is correct. Thanks Ray Godfrey, Ray I remember Sgt. Original file (1,853 1,422 pixels, file size: 227 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg), https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/PDMCreative Commons Public Domain Mark 1.0falsefalse. Did you know Lt Collier personally, or well? Dick Wolfe Lt Sig C Again thanks for your help. Ill stay in touch. Hope you are doing well and mobile. I was the Headquarters detachment commander for Team 87 in Xuan Loc for April, May, and June 1969, after completing nine months as senior advisor with 3/52 Infantry. I also wonder how we survived but wouldnt trade the experiences for anything. Great to see your still kicking! Worked with Maj Jeff Barker and Maj Putnam. Have parking and hook ups beside the house so except for getting run down with age have wheels will travel. and ran into him there.we went to high school together and were dumbfounded as we met near the radio room. Bought a one story house across the street from Coyote Links Golf Course. Then everyone goes home. I even visited the deputy in the hospital and cannot remember his name. III Corp I didnt think much about Agent Orange. Hot Desert. It has been a lot of years since, so dont quote me on that. 65-65 June to April. lol. I owe my Military career to Pappy. All the best, I dont like to utilize so public a space as the internet Mark Scully, You left right before I got there, April 69. Thank you for sharing. There were 1700 of us in the whole country back then and we were para military. IT SAYS SAT CONG. Would like to talk to you via email. The picture of Xuan Loc I see above does not look like anything I saw when I was there. I dont remember anyone there except for a Major(cant recall his name), FAC Pilot, that I rode along with (O1E Birddog) doing aerial recons and marking targets with WP for air strikes and doing BDAs after the airstrikes.HOWEVER, I do remember seeing Martha Raye In the Mess Hall at Xuan Loc . Think I left in the spring 72, Actually LTC Patton told me he was adopted by the Patton family from England after WWII. Returned early 2005 and it changed my life. Lost all mine during baggage transfer to CONUS. I was a temporary lifer 65-72 with most of it in Vietnam. At that time he seemed to be an older soldier. Retired from the Air Force and then came back as a warrant. The base remains in use by the PAVN as a base for the 302nd Infantry Division, a component of the 7th Military Region (Vietnam People's Army). Shoot me an email if you want any recent skinny. Can you send the aerial pic and how far south was the sf site? Hello. I am not on FB or twitter, I too flew a few times with Pappy [call sign Aloft 34 if i recall correctly] ]to see how the Army did it as I was the spook [call sign Kenny Zero One Alpha] with the Air Force FAC team that supported the 18th ARVN from July 67-Sep 69. I need to look at some maps. My father was in Xuan Loc in 1968 or 69. Sean I went back in 1980 or there abouts and was frankly amazed at the transformation of the town, but more to the topic at hand, had an opportunity to talk with some of the town folks from back in the day about what happened to them (those that would talk) after 75; The road between Xuan Loc and Saigon (Hoi Chi Minh City) was not so terrifying now, the rubber plantations not so deep and forboding, and the rice fields up around Plantation (near Bien Hoa) where II Field Force HQs used to be, were now covered over, or had beaucoup construction vehicles and speeding was frowned upon! hunkering down seemed to keep us from Corvid Lost my mother to it last year in Florida. Was the Adjutant I think) in the compound I showed movies and often went up to Tay Ninh to bring the movies or up to the top of Nui bah Dinh. I was tickled to death to see your post! Wife of deceased SSG Charles (Charlie/Chuck/Super P.) Joseph. Merry Christmas and great Holidays to you all. Was replaced by CPT William Bailey, and reverted back to DSA. I DEROSed same day as Ridenbaugh. I retired from the Border Patrol and now regret I didnt take more pictures of the Old Patrol. Yes, I worked very close with your father during the period 1968 thru 1969 and can tell you a real scary story about one of our ordeals. Second mass grave uncovered. Hello Bill,Iwas Capt David Whites NCO signal advisor for a few months before he rotated.Great officer and just a good guy. Tuc Trung, Long Khanh Province 11.1187347,107.1901956; YT3964 2966; (6431-3) Qun C Ph Mng ip (Mong Diep Cafe) Mr Hightower, Broke his leg . I was a radio operator @ MACV compound 7/67 to 7/68. Advanced Search | I am totally retired now, after 28 years in the Army active and reserve, & 25 years working for a Defense Contractor. Town itself was unreconizable. Just chatting on here has brought a lot of stuff back. I was a newbi, we were suddenly attacked, I headed to the closest bunker which happened to be the Command Bunker. 4/48 was wounded and evac back to state. I knew Mike Hope and Pappy Devine pretty well. He was due to rotate back to The US in a few weeks. I have a picture of a group of the guys. Sholley. 1968 i now have skin cancer,,, agent orange?? The local paper ran an article that stated he was killed in Ben Hoa but I have been unable to verify that information. Alternated Tay Ninh and Xuan Loc every other month with Major Whiteside.Doesnt anyone remember the 5th Cav SA? I think I got my years goofed up. Never went back and really dont want to. Regarding your query on the Team 89 website seeking information on Bui Van Vien, I have replied noting an address in Ho Chi Minh City in 1988 following his release from post-War detention in Thu Duc. The film ended the lights came on and no one got up as it was protocol that you didnt leave before the Senior Advisor.Well he got up from his front row chair turned to the projectionist and said play the last reel again. That is until the Machine Gun fire, Mortar and Rockets started coming in. I know some relocated to the US. I was the senior advisor for the 4th/43rd/18th Infantry Division from January 1969-July 1969 then the senior advisor for the 2nd/5th Armored Cav for the rest of 1969. Do you know if there was a report on the engagement? Ran around scrounging with my driver. I did see crazy TV at hospital in Japan. We went the same places and ate the same food.