Your email address will not be published. Even mens socks! Its not a walk around the block!! Simple Skyp Sockstook the sock knitting world by storm a while back, and if you cruise through the THOUSANDS of projects on this patterns Ravelry page, you will see that it can look beautiful in both solid yarn, or subtly variegated. crap. It is my 'go-to' pattern when I make plain socks. I have been repurposing the leg parts as ankle warmers with my knitted slippers. Besides which, there was no knitting on the trips in the 60s. If you are unsure about the fabric density read again the section 1.3.2 Selecting the needles. I will have to ask her how tall she wants them to be, thanks!! This innovation by Regia makes it incredibly easy to knit two identical socks from one skein. These ones are Gauge Dye Works again (I swear I'm only a little obsessed with that yarn) in a colourway called Azurite B. It took me three triesI have very skinny ankles and feettill I got the right number of stitches. I searched all over the Internet for a free sock pattern that didn't require me to buy a certain type of yarn etc- this is the only sock pattern i will ever need! Dear Stephanies AGENT did you hear that? (Tries not to roll her eyes, ends up hurting herself owie.). its ok to walk away for a little bit. Hey! Theyre like the mob! I havent knit my first socks yet, though I have the yarn and needles ready to go I keep getting distracted by baby projects. (Well. Its perfect for those of you that just like to knit around and around and around, and use a beautifully coloured yarn. Now go ahead and select a heel pattern for your sock! Love these socks in this post very cool patterns. In re darning socks: who says your socks have to match. Im kinda shocked. Packaged in a 100 gram ball, this yarn will give knit you an adult pair, with yarn to spare! As for de-cluttering your house, have you ever tried FlyLady (www.flylady.com)? It was because I felt used and unappreciated. They are small, light, easy to keep track of and come in a charming variety of difficulties. Oh, how I wish I could bang out a pair or two of hand knit socks in a weekend.. Yeah, Ive just got to ask, though Im sure it may qualify as sacrilegious, REALLY?!? Stephaniedont you have any comments to make on yummy Justin Trudeau? I think you should knit some lace now. Go figure.. all this sock talk reminds me to ask.did the recipient of the socks with all the teetiny leaves love them?? . document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Im thinking that it might be easiest to make some for my baby daughter. Dana If the fabric seems too loose frog your work and take smaller needles. A good rule of thumb is that the fabric should not be see-through. Im all for scarves and mittens now. Thats a lot of socks for such a short period of time! Shows you some really good options and its great as reference material for your library. (for a while at least!). I instantly wanted it. I havent yet plucked up the courage to try to make my first pair yet. Am. That way time does not slip by and the dreadful sock drawer is not forgotten for another winter. I have taken a pair of isotoners an pinking sheared off the tips of the finger since my fingers are also having a wee bit of PAIN. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. I can see how youd be ready for a change though. Are you going to find an opportunity soon to have him pose holding one of your WIP socks? And the KWB socks reminded me to send some money to MSF for the Burma Cyclone and then I really got my act together and set up a regular donation. Sock on! Thats Harrisville Watershed (what a great yarn) in Eastview and the cowl is Bristol Ivys Winterlong a beautiful, sculptural piece thats knitting up really quickly. You can find the rounded wedge toe pattern here. Just fine. From bright pinks to classic grays, they have certainly done a very good job of working their way through the rainbow. And by the way, that cowl yarn is REALLY your colorway. Im Ida a 30 something engineer living in Lapland, Finland. Congrats on the completion of your grand tour. The socks you knit with this pattern are worked toe-up. I love knitting fingerless gloves, even with fancy lace patterns and gussets and everything, but NOT SOCKS. Im working on Francie right now (after having to rip back the entire leg of one due to knitterly denial they were wayyyy too tight), and it really is a fun little pattern. ? Or is this a small attack of knitters overoptimism? West Yorkshire Spinners makes an incredible sock yarn right in the heart of Yorkshire! Im in TO tomorrow for a conference. Cool cowl, too! Yeah, you say that now, but youll have another pair on the needles in under a week, is my guess. I am in awe. Learn how your comment data is processed. If your foot does not fit into one paper, tape two pieces together. OMG! She deserves it. Be safe in your travels! Cant wait to see what you knit next ps the stash n burn interview was great.. From the table below you can check the most common needle sizes that are used to knit socks. They picked something else. The grade ones really are cute though. Very nice! ART!). Many thanks. Showing 1 - 12 of 42 Results. Sorry for the shakies, no . What a lovely array of socks. Im also using Classic Elite Alpaca Sox to knit a pair of bed socks for my sister. Your email address will not be published. Im on a sock binge too, for the much the same reasonlots o travel. 25 Terrific and Free Knit Socks Patterns. *sigh* Maybe someday Ill be that fast. I find just plain and simple works for me since I am introducing so many different colors and patterns of yarn. I actually ran into another knitter at the airport a couple of months ago (my knitterly rays must have been strong that day, as she spotted my socklet from far away), and she was knitting with that same yarn, in the same color. Love to hear about your ability to bang out a pair of socks so fast. St Andrews by the Sea?! Bah. Hippity hoppity sale on Hobbii. Choose a fun colorway of sock yarn and dive in--see how fun socks can be! Not that seeing Ken is a bad thing. We would love to know what it is! You can stick a fork in me folks because I. Holy sheepcycle, thats a lot of sockage for such a short amount of time. Oooo, what kind of a sweater do you have in mind? 88. Wow all of them are so cool and different! Wait. Does sweater knitting indicate the need to nest, now that youre home? Ive been waiting to see a reasonably close-up picture of the Rhinebeck sweaterfworn or at least draped over a suitable piece of furniture. Might as well wait until thats over! Got to the heel and lost my nerve. Those have been on my list for a loooong time and I really should just knit them already! I was at Rhinebeck, staying at a house in Salt Point, and Sunday morning, we woke up to SNOWair snow, but still.freaked me out, but we went to the festival anyway. After the first sock is completed, unwind the yarn to the next yellow starter thread and cut it off. So, knitting dilemma solved. Excerpt of Stephanie Pearl McPhee aka [http://www.yarnharlot.ca]Yarn Harlot at [http://www.fullthreadahead.com] Full Thread Ahead. enjoy the sweater. The important thing here is to find needles that get you a good gauge. Simply cut off the yellow starter thread and begin knitting the first sock. Yes, there are two prizes. The Francie socks damn near kill me. the Rivendells; mmmmmm, poiple. And of course, with any cuff-down sock, the toe can be raveled out and replaced. I was wondering if you always wash socks that you havent worn for a few months? How does ribbing feel on the bottom? Darn! Im pretty sure I can bang out a cast-on and (possibly) one ribbed cuff. (Remember multi-coloured yarn doesnt always work so well on patterned socks. )Ill make her wear it and show you. Knitting is like life it moves in cycles. I do believe theres only one stitch involved, so it just might be right for Short Attention Span Knitter, whoever she may be, to practice lever knitting Thanks for the inspiration. And who couldnt love a colorway called I Am The Eggplant? So, there will be a lot of sock knitting going on. So much so that I have been (wince) READING on the plane. Those are both snacks though, just little bits of knitting to tide me over the disorganized gap. Maybe I was facing in the wrong direction?? Or did that only happen to me because my feet are size 10 US? I started a sweater just to numb the pain. And an easy blanket project to work on while watching movies. Six pairs of socks in 36 days? I put my hooks down and did nothing for years. , Cool! now wheres her big girl boots? Yardage: 459 Yards in each 100 gram skein (one skein for a pair of socks for most sizes). easy. I am not a sock knitter, though you are making me want to put down my teddy bears to try one. You can find the german short row heel pattern here. You definitely completed quite a few pairs of socks on this tour. You can find the afterthought heel pattern here. I want to knit them all! My favorite person to knit socks for is my short, short-footed friend who likes her socks just couple inches over the anklebone; unfortunately everyone else I would want to knit socks for wears at least a womens 9. Patty. I give you two weeks before you are jonesing for another sock. And a question: whats happening with Joes gansey? When I was 10 to 15 years old, our neighbourhood version (since we lived half-a-block away) was The psychiatrists kids are completely insane! Thank you! BTW: Im really enjoying the new book. Ive declared January/February Knit For Me Months! Yarn weight: DK. This is probably the easiest heel pattern. Worked from the cuff down and in the round, this design is . So after seeing some of your socks, I jumped in the knitting pool and have learned some of the basics. ;) All of your socks are gorgeous, as usual! Happy sock knitting! February 26, 2018 After knitting what seems like a gazillion pairs of socks since the start of 2016, I have distilled my basic recipe into this pattern. I always get nervous when I meet someone I respect from afar, worried that they wont be the same in real life. I should have known better. If you havent seen it. I am reading the Things I learned from knitting which I got as a mothers day present. You are the reason I have learned to knit! Gauge 8 stitches = 1 inch in stockinette stitch Needle size US 1 - 2.25 mm Yardage 380 - 400 yards (347 - 366 m) Sizes available Small (Medium, Large) I like to make my socks either with plain stockinette or then I use either 3 by 1 or 2 by 2 ribbing on the whole leg and on the instep. I started my second pair two weeks ago. This webiste contains affiliate links meaning that if you buy something after clicking them I may earn a small commission. Id be grateful if you would now think hard about what colour sweater I want to knit so I can pick that out of your mind. Plus the little ones give some variety while the big ones drag on. All in all, it would probably be more productive for me to try to bribe Denny into doing it for me. Ive spoken (probably a lot) about my strong preference for socks as the ideal travel project, at least for me. This results in a toe shape which is round and there are no increase lines visible. So, I started another pair of socks and ordered another copy of your book. Sock yarn is generally a blend of merino (for softness) and nylon (for strength and durability). It occured to me that you should hear about my harrowing trip across the livingroom hurrying, to do something and was impaled in my leg below my knee, with a metal needle sticking out of the knitting basket. This tour I knit the Rivendell socks out of "I am the Eggpant" Dyed in the Wool Handmade sock yarn. I would be happy to see your version! OMG! Ill send you my top 5 tips of how to make a durable pair of socks. Its a good thing there are so many choices now days, isnt it? Love the fallen leaves and spinners on the ground in your cowl photo. I love knitting and programming, hence the nickname Knitgrammer. Ok.. youve seen it. It can be used also for the perfectly symmetrical contrasting color heel. Mekong Socks. You can find all knitting patterns published on Knitgrammer.com here. Our Patons Kroy Socks Patterns Collection. At this point might be that the length of your sock is not yet 4 (10 cm). I love making socksso I am not going to listen to comments about getting sick of them. lol. But yes, I can see you are a bit socked outthen again, you are so FAST you knit so MANY. fake snow. Should you be someone that prefers the self-striping patterns- fear not! I adore the Rivendell pattern, and very aptly nsmed. Are you someone who prefers ribbing all the way down the leg and foot? This is a universal sock pattern that you can use to knit perfectly fitting vanilla socks of any size and with almost any yarn. I really need to get going because this is supposed to be done by next Sunday and Im only about 2 inches in and havent knit on it in a week (no, I made a hat, but its just a nibble, not a present. When is this item going to be available now that you have us all inspired? Knitting socks for yourself, especially when you live where the winters are cold and snowy, is self-preservation. Shall we? Thanks for posting a pic of the STR KWoB colorway. I also have a sweater to work on for home. (No noa real one, in the car and all; those trips from the 60s were well, fun, but theyre over). I thought youd want to know. Love the socks for Ken (and great photo of both)! Good on you Steph! Because this pattern is a toe-up pattern it is quite easy to optimize the yardage and you can leave the cuff a little bit shorter. 73K Followers, 610 Following, 3,770 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (@yarnharlot) Uses fingering weight yarn. Lovely socks, particularly the Rivendell! The sole I almost always knit with stockinette. I was enjoying the sock parade until the last one (thatd be the Francie) when I was hit with that heart-pounding, breath-gasping moment. No wonder youre sick of them. So far I have completed 4 pairs on two needles and am about to do my first pair on DPNs. I was just telling my mother this morning that if something happened and all knitters had to specialize in just one article (be it shawl, hat, whatever) that I would definitely be the sock girl. Youve solved one of my knitting problems at well Winterlong will be just perfect for some skeins I have sitting in my stash. I have hand darned socks also so, into the sock stash and my socks need done too. Also, I think this is in one of your books somewhere, but would you show us how to darn socks properly? Thanks, Stephanie! I'm sorry you feel that way. In my estimation back ache remedies should be secondary to treating the When you posted the first picture of those Francies last week, I was like, yeah, whatever, but now that I see them finished in their entirety, THEY MUST BE MINE. Of course your pair looks WAY better than mine. Bet it feels extra squishy to walk on. She also has a new class on Craftsy that is on my Christmas list. Short row heel also known as hourglass heel is the one used in most commercial socks. Ever since hearing you speak, and meeting you (in San Mateo we brought the muffins and the contraband *shhhh* beer) she has been quoting you like crazy and telling people (.at work) to leave her alone so that she can knit. Yippee! glad to know Im not the only one to discover that my handknit socks mostly have holes in at least one of each pair (I have one pair nearly done (on the gusset of the second sock) and yarn for at least one more pair, but I cant bang out two pair in a weekend, one probably, but not two. ! OK, what we really said was The shrinks kids are nuts!, but we were far less PC-aware then. Socks for myself has been my goal as well. Thanks. I knit a pair of plain vanilla socks from the forthcoming "Sock Ease" from Lion Brand Yarn. The socks are gorgeous, and I hope to make so Loksins myself very soon, if I can get out of the dyeing kitchen long enough! I just signed up for the 52 pair plunge as a companion to the Summer of Socks. The are all faboo I am especially intrigued by the socks that have a ribbing almost swirly thing going on, very hypnotic, weird/cool thing. Bang out a couple pairs over the weekend Boy, dont I wish, Im sort of working on a sweater. You must knit in your sleep (or have you given up sleep with the recent hectic travel arrangements). Step 1: Cast on 30 stitches and knit 30 rows in plain stockinette stitch using the same yarn and needles you want to knit your socks with. Now? Im glad you get a chance to relax at home now that your book tour is mostly over. This heel should fit you well even if you have a high arch and at it stays on its place very well. You can of course add cables or colorwork but remember that affects the ease and amount of yarn you need for your socks. Is there a secrect to this phenom (other than incredible speed)?? ha! But I can say that from the comfort of just making a quick little pair for myself every now and again. I knit another plain pair in Blue Moon Heavyweight (forthcoming colour Grimms Garden, Then I finished a pair I havent told you about, because I knit them all stealth so Rachel H wouldnt find out, what with them being a birthday present for her. Wrong. These instructions are really well written, and the built-in calculators give me confidence to try new techniques. If you had the problem, howd you work around it? The pattern comes from the Yarn Harlot's book " Knitting Rules " - Sock Recipe: A Good, Plain Sock by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee and is an ideal pattern to use with self patterning sock yarn. EZ shows those in Knitting Without Tears, and there are several other patterns on Ravelry. I may be overly sensitive to the possibilty, however, as I have a medical problem which causes my feet to swell. That is one of the best mini series Ive seen. Even if youre tired of socks, theres nothing wrong with gloating. With this pattern, you can make a pair of basic socks of any size. they could put up on Click Bank to be sold by affiliate Some sock yarn is a blend of Bluefaced Leicester wool and nylon (BFL). She gives step-by-step day-by-day instructions on how to de-clutter a space and keep it de-cluttered. If you dont one day you will put your needles down and not pick them back up. . If you want to wear your sock in shoes pick fingering weight yarn (also known as sock weight yarn or 4ply yarn) or if your shoes are loose-fitting you can pick a little bit thicker sport weight yarn. Mine did. You can find the rounded toe pattern here. If you find yourself getting bored and distracted with traditional free knit socks patterns, then be sure to check this one out! You definitely rock socks. It has a lot to do with me wearing sandals and happens every time it gets warm. Personally I recommend you using brighter colors. I like ribbing because it adapts better to the shape of your foot. i remember the socks being modeledthey were very cool. I am taking as a good luck sign that I got the foot to prove I am real. Still, if you wanted to really worry us, you could have announced the plan and never mentioned the word it would have been like waiting for the other shoe to drop.. but those are some gorgeous socks. I love to have a project where anything else I have to do is an obstacle between me and that project. I was hoping to see your ocean toes did you ever finish them? We basically consider ourselves Southern Canada. As Im a soon-to-be grandmother, it was already pretty long and its starting to be gardening season too much to do, no time. You can make them based on your own measurements or this sock size chart for knitting. Waiting for the doctor, sitting on the bus, waiting for the water to boil). Wow, if you got tired of socks then Im doomed. (Not that I knit a lot of socks anyway, just, if anyone deserved a pair from me its him.). Work at least 10 rows of either 1 by 1 or 2 by 2 ribbing on the cuff and then bind-off using a stretchy bind-off method. Those Francie socks are seriously cool! I am not relaxed right now, either. The increases are distributed evenly around the sock in eight sections. not only are the socks beautiful, but they carry greatly powerful knitterly mojo holding the travelling sock has had quite an immediate effect on my formerly non-knitting mom!